Hands-on Experiences with the 950XL

SharkyNY

May 30, 2014
Visit site
I went back to the MS Store to try and preorder and I couldn't. Really busy day for them and I didn't have a ton of time to wait. I did get a chance to play with the 950 XL again, but unlike the first time I did things were different. It was running warmer than it was the previous day. could have been because the person before me was playing with the camera quite a bit, but I'm not sure it was really long enough for it to have been as warm as it was. Navigating also seemed a bit more stuttery than compared to my first hands on. And there was a bit of creaking on the bottom left hand corner (the side where the fingernail latch is).

anon(8966963)

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I just pre ordered a 950 XL in black for $0 at the Microsoft store at Yorkdale Mall in Toronto... Will get a call when it's available.... The rep said should be coming out before the holidays.... Toooo long lol.... Said that all the Canadian models will be dual sim... Let's see if that's true

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
i'm sad, carrier don't believe in the products, no canadian carrier will have those phone and only AT&T in US... that don't give a lot of chance to Windows 10 Mobile...
I know its been said before but...

It's not a problem if carriers don't sell a phone as long as you can buy it from the manufacturer or other retailers. In fact its dumb to WANT to get a phone from a carrier. It's like buying your car from a gas station.

aliencatos

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
in my opinion, it's a better thing to by the phone with a carrier at 200$ or less with a 2 year contract then at full price a 849 CAD...

it's not avery body which have this much money available for a phone...

Attic Muse

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Re: Played with the 950XL today, Wow!

Spent some time at my local Microsoft store the other day and I was seriously impressed with the 950 and especially the 950 XL. I've never been a big fan of phablets, always thought they looked a little stupid, but I fell in love with that glorious display.

The phone was definitely light, which while it doesn't feel "premium" it's better than being a brick, IMO. They both ran amazingly smooth, even with lots of apps in the background (the task switcher on the XL looks SO amazing), and I was blown away with how fast the camera launched, whether the phone was locked or in an app. My 925 takes up to 10 seconds, the 950XL was picture ready in about a second.

Tried taking the back off and found it to be pretty easy, but when it was on it felt secure and I didn't feel anything moving or flexing (unlike my 925's polycarbonate back, which isn't even removable but still flexes in one corner). Also thought it was neat that the buttons were on the removable case, I figured you had to get the back off around them, but they just make contact with plates on the phone itself, so third party backs will have their own buttons (could be good, could be bad).

Unfortunately I just got my 925 about 8 months ago, so I've got a ways to go before I can justify buying a new phone, so I'll be sticking out till either the rumored Intel phone or more likely the 960 series. But if I had the disposable income I'd definitely pick up a 950XL, I think it's a pretty solid flagship.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Dan showed one in his hands on video, and Neowin also showed one in their coverage. From what I remember, the xl an regular were on different builds.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: My Experience with the 950 XL

I also saw the 950XL at my local MSFT store! I was surprised that even with a 5.7 in screen it was only about 1/2 in taller than my Lumia Icon and only a couple MM wider! I was going to get the 950 with the 5.2 in screen ( if it ever comes to VZW), but now that I've seen how close the 950L is to my Icon, I'm probably going to opt for that! Again, if it ever comes to VZW!

Jikangire

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site

That's great news Jazmac!

Windows Mobile has been gaining weight for sometime now.
Finally a Microsoft phone that doesn't resume (hopefully)
It's about time the hardware started catching up.

I completely agree! I am so looking forward to getting this phone!

TooLazyToComment

May 29, 2014
Visit site
Went to our local store and checked the 950xl and came away impressed. For its size it's light and comfortable to hold. Camera app is snappy and man taking pic is really fast. Faster than my wife's iphone. Too bad our store don't have the 950 to compare tho.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Kevin_Sears

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
Went to the Microsoft Store in Chandler, AZ. They only had the 950 XL. The phone was felt significantly lighter than my Lumia 1020. OS was very quick and responsive, however, I was able to get it to crash by attaching too many photos (5) onto an email and attempting to send, after that the Outlook app would not work tried to reboot the phone and it wouldn't even boot without connecting it back to the charger then holding the power button. After that though I took a few pictures of the store with the 950 XL and my 1020 trying to capture similar shots, the camera was fantastic! It processed the photos quickly and focused right away. Didn't play around too much longer after that there were several people coming in to check it out but very excited for it after having it hands on! Here's a photos of the front/back and comparison of 1020 vs the 950 XL!

o88X37W.jpg

hipHxFj.jpg

zFJH9ft.jpg

950 XL
S66ZspP.jpg

rSNXdzQ.jpg

950 XL
sRtvO6v.jpg

vImMebw.jpg

950 XL
uIeOUfQ.jpg

ale2999

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I went to check them our in Calgary. Both nice phones. I preordered the xl, but the 950 is big enough for peeps that don't want the xl. Build is good and the phone is quite skinny. I can already know that tons of people will ask what phone am I rocking?

o4komodo

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Went to the Microsoft Store in Chandler, AZ. They only had the 950 XL. The phone was felt significantly lighter than my Lumia 1020. OS was very quick and responsive, however, I was able to get it to crash by attaching too many photos (5) onto an email and attempting to send, after that the Outlook app would not work tried to reboot the phone and it wouldn't even boot without connecting it back to the charger then holding the power button. After that though I took a few pictures of the store with the 950 XL and my 1020 trying to capture similar shots, the camera was fantastic! It processed the photos quickly and focused right away. Didn't play around too much longer after that there were several people coming in to check it out but very excited for it after having it hands on! Here's a photos of the front/back and comparison of 1020 vs the 950 XL!

Is there something wrong with your 1020? Cause damn the 950XL is so much clearer. It's almost as if you have a film over your 1020 or something.

scaramanga89

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Can anyone confirm or deny double tap to wake? I would assume it's there as glance is there. Just to be certain. I would really miss this feature.

Bill Harvey1

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

I had a chance to play with a 950XL in the MS store in The Woodlands Mall, north of Houston, on Saturday morning. I love this phone! It was running the 10546 build, and was extremely quick to unlock, and open apps. I didn't think to try Windows Hello, and I wish I had. I noticed no heat from the phone, and this was with a phone that had at least 20 apps still running when I when I picked it up. Win10 feels really fast on this phone. I had no issues with the XL size, I did have to use the "hold the home button until the screen slides down" a few times though to be able to do all things with one hand, but overall it wasn't an issue compared to my ancient 920. This phone is comparable in screen size and overall width to a 640XL but is MUCH thinner and weighs what feels like nothing in comparison.The camera opens FAST compared to my 920, and takes really good pictures. The front camera also seems to take better pictures, but I had trouble getting a good one due to the really bright lighting in the store and my glasses. I pre-ordered one. They did not have a 950 on hand, and didn't know when they would have one. They also were not sure if AT&T was going to carry the 950, but were sure they were going to offer the 950XL. I've been "off contract" on my 920 since February, and I'm glad I waited for this phone. The OS still has bugs ( got the resume screen on the start screen at least once) but I'm hopeful they get that sorted next build or two. Did I mention I love this phone?

Donald Simard1

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site

Well no matter what MS does it will be bad... I think they should have both options to be honest. finger print and iris scanner. since Windows Hello supports finger print scanners. But I know they want to move towards iris scanning as a whole. And if they offered FP scanning then people would use it instead of the iris scanning and there would be no "progress". but I think MS in their effort to push boundaries don't always realize that people aren't always ready for that.. and since apple isn't doing it..can't be good! (that's sarcasm for those who couldn't tell..)
Is additional cost ofp warranted?

How well does th fp acanner in Iphone work with gloves on?

anon(631531)

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site

I had a chance to play with a 950XL in the MS store in The Woodlands Mall, north of Houston, on Saturday morning. I love this phone! It was running the 10546 build, and was extremely quick to unlock, and open apps. I didn't think to try Windows Hello, and I wish I had. I noticed no heat from the phone, and this was with a phone that had at least 20 apps still running when I when I picked it up. Win10 feels really fast on this phone. I had no issues with the XL size, I did have to use the "hold the home button until the screen slides down" a few times though to be able to do all things with one hand, but overall it wasn't an issue compared to my ancient 920. This phone is comparable in screen size and overall width to a 640XL but is MUCH thinner and weighs what feels like nothing in comparison.The camera opens FAST compared to my 920, and takes really good pictures. The front camera also seems to take better pictures, but I had trouble getting a good one due to the really bright lighting in the store and my glasses. I pre-ordered one. They did not have a 950 on hand, and didn't know when they would have one. They also were not sure if AT&T was going to carry the 950, but were sure they were going to offer the 950XL. I've been "off contract" on my 920 since February, and I'm glad I waited for this phone. The OS still has bugs ( got the resume screen on the start screen at least once) but I'm hopeful they get that sorted next build or two. Did I mention I love this phone?

The only thing missing is a notification led light. That would be the cherry on top of the whipped cream. Yummy.:winktongue:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99