Hands-on Experiences with the 950XL

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
So, are you located somewhere other than the US? I have never seen a contract at $40 including a smartphone, or $15 a month if you bring your own device in the US. If you are in the US, where do you get this contract?

I think what he is referring to is the access fee for each device - $40, unless you bring your own device when it is reduced by $15 (i.e. $25/mo). This is, of course, in addition to data plan charges which vary depending on which plan you take.

<TED>

anon(8966963)

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I just pre ordered a 950 XL at the Microsoft store at Yorkdale in Toronto for $0... I played around with it for a bit but very simple stuff nothing extreme... Very light but I noticed that just above the home button the screen and the back part heats up a lot... How come the liquid cooling isn't working good?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I just pre ordered a 950 XL at the Microsoft store at Yorkdale in Toronto for $0... I played around with it for a bit but very simple stuff nothing extreme... Very light but I noticed that just above the home button the screen and the back part heats up a lot... How come the liquid cooling isn't working good?
Cooling just moves heat from one place to another. Whatever gets cooled, something else gets hotter than it would have. You'd think they would try to transfer the heat from the SoC to larger areas that are typically very cool otherwise.

sph0308

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I pre-ordered the 950 XL in white at the Frisco, Texas Microsoft store for no money down. Screen is gorgeous and the phone is lightning fast. Phone is very light. The back cover seemed kind of cheap and flimsy to me but I'll be buying a Mozo back. The guy at the store said the phone would not work on Verizon unless Verizon decides to carry it. On a site note, the band 2 is gorgeous as is the book.

jgbstetson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

Just keep in mind: Those display phones are charging/discharging all day with many hours with the screen on or people are test driving them hard.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Just keep in mind: Those display phones are charging/discharging all day with many hours with the screen on or people are test driving them hard.

A mix between that and "beta software" that isn't complete yet that has bugs. I truly hope that MS can get some of those bugs knocked out (since they acknowledged Cortana being a heat source bug). I am curious if they updated from 10546 to 10549 or not in the store.

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
I played with one for a few minutes yesterday at the MS store here in Dallas. Honestly, I was a little disappointed. Maybe I'm use to my 1520 but it felt VERY light... almost too light (ya... I'm probably use to the 1520). I also couldn't help that it seemed kinda cheaper like 640XL"ish" and not the premium feel I was expecting. I do admit though, that I need to spend some more time with it before final judgments.

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Haha, yeah, you're used to using the 1520. That's a TANK of a beast. I loved the 1520, it felt very substatial, but it was SO heavy! xD I want it to feel good in the hand, rather than feeling like a brick in the hand. I haven't seen the 950XL here yet in Spain, hopefully I'll see some reviews soon and find a store that'll have it on display. :)

I played with one for a few minutes yesterday at the MS store here in Dallas. Honestly, I was a little disappointed. Maybe I'm use to my 1520 but it felt VERY light... almost too light (ya... I'm probably use to the 1520). I also couldn't help that it seemed kinda cheaper like 640XL"ish" and not the premium feel I was expecting. I do admit though, that I need to spend some more time with it before final judgments.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: My Experience with the 950 XL

Nope. Please don't add that cheap red notification light. That's what the Glance feature is for. I don't want the world knowing whether or not I have unanswered notifications.

Live for yourself and not for what strangers think of you, if you made decisions solely on what others would say... then have you truly lived.. if at all?

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I pre-ordered my 950XL at the West Edmonton Mall Microsoft Store and apparently, they've been told second week of December for arrival. We shall see... it was $0 down, so I'm not too worried. :)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I pre-ordered my 950XL at the West Edmonton Mall Microsoft Store and apparently, they've been told second week of December for arrival. We shall see... it was $0 down, so I'm not too worried. :)
If it turns out to be true, its probably that late just due to WM10 not being ready 'till then. Insider customers should have the option of getting the phone sooner. LoL

Dueydoodah

May 20, 2013
Visit site

I was told by the MS employee a November delivery, but I just don't see how with the issues I'm seeing in the current version of W10M.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I was told by the MS employee a November delivery, but I just don't see how with the issues I'm seeing in the current version of W10M.

I agree, but Gabe Aul said on Twitter the other day that, "Oh just wait until we get into a full stability mode, the OS will polish very quickly".. so either they are so far ahead in builds than what we have that things are looking much better than we are seeing, or they aren't in a stability mode and hence all the bugs..

Though he could also just be pulling something out his you-know..

Thallanor

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
That was my understanding as well, that November was what was originally forecast. We shall see. I do not know what happened but about 3 weeks ago, my 1520's battery life went from approximately 1 day to a couple hours. :/ Reverting to 8.1 didn't resolve it. I think it's just tired. So I decided to take the leap...

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't bet on it. The latest build is a big improvement in terms of performance. My 920 FLIES now. Sure there are still minor bugs here and there, but it's possible that they could knock them out in a month.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I agree, but Gabe Aul said on Twitter the other day that, "Oh just wait until we get into a full stability mode, the OS will polish very quickly".. so either they are so far ahead in builds than what we have that things are looking much better than we are seeing, or they aren't in a stability mode and hence all the bugs..

Though he could also just be pulling something out his you-know..
After seeing rock solid WP updates in the past (all updates since WP7), I would give the benefit of doubt to MS. Especially if Aul made such comment.

TK2011

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
While I am quite confident the final product will be very good, my experience with a 920 is the exact opposite. It's a very hot pile of molasses.
Mine started out great but hit the same heating bug last night. It's running cool and very fast after hard reset now. Yeah they definitely need to fix that issue.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea