Hands-on Experiences with the 950XL

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Anyone know why they'll take pre-orders in person but not online?
In general terms, yeah. Its very common for companies to have these kinds or seemingly ridiculous situations. They are separate organizations. Getting the basics right is top priority over having identical capabilities. And at some level they are in competition with each other and managers will WANT to have an advantage over the competition and may drag their feet or throw up obstacles as long as management above both don't notice.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I would rather Microsoft delay the release of the phones until most problems are resolved than have the phones released with known problems. All the features, like panorama camera mode, don't have to be complete but I want all functions to work properly.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
While I am quite confident the final product will be very good, my experience with a 920 is the exact opposite. It's a very hot pile of molasses.

Same.. I went to the grocery store, my 920 was off the charger for an hour, was at 60%. Then I got a FB message.. started to reply it restarted while typing. Then it came back and was at 7% battery. So in the span of 30 minutes It seemed to have gone from 60 -> 7%. and I have Cortana turned off. Still running 10536 though.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
My 920 was awful on 10536. Even without use it would drain rapidly. This newer one is much better. Not 8.1 better, but heading the right way.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: My Experience with the 950 XL

Has anyone that was having a lot of troubles (specifically with the 920) getting better performance on the new 10572 build? With it working "so well" it gives me some hope that MS can get it together. But such a large bump in build number it seems they are giving us much older than they are working on. I have a feeling they haven't gone from 10549 -> 10572 in a week's span internally when it took a month from 10536 -> 10549. Especially since we know that 10575 is already done and in testing. So internally they could be in the 80s or 90s in terms of build number.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
So far, the latest build is the best one. I have a 920, and this and the previous build are much better. The one immediately before was awful.

narv

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
So the new build is great. 1000x better than the last build that didn't require me to roll back to 8.1, but there is another thread for that. But the comment about double tap to turn on being missing in the 950 XL, apparently that was a bug that it wasn't in the menu according to a tweet from Nawzil.

For those who may be concerned about the lack of the feature on the 950s

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Haven't been able to play with one myself, but one thing I am glad to see from the photos earlier in this thread is that the SD slot is accessible without taking the battery out. On my 635 there have been times where I wanted to transfer things on SD and each time I have to turn off the phone, remove the battery, slide the memory card out, transfer data, and then only when it's done transferring can I turn my phone back on. Personally, I'd rather have a slot that was accessible without removing the back cover, but I'm apparently in the minority on that. :grin:

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Personally, I'd rather have a slot that was accessible without removing the back cover, but I'm apparently in the minority on that. :grin:
I'd rather it be inside but then I rarely remove the SD card. I don't like seams on visible surfaces and ejectable SD (and SIM) trays like on my 1520 adds seams. Trays are also more likely to cause a jam that could damage the phone. Ask me how I found out via the SIM tray on my 925.

I access pictures, videos or documents I create on the phone's SD card via OneDrive (or USB cable). I pretty much just take the card out if I have a lot of music to add at one time.

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, as long as it's accessible with the battery still in place like I mentioned it's tolerable.

Among other reasons I've needed to access the card slot would be when I want to get photos off my actual camera (using a microSD card in an SD adapter) onto the phone to share with others via MMS or things of that sort. OneDrive can work for that, but either way I need either my PC or phone to have an accessible microSD slot to transfer via (and I don't have my PC with me nearly as often as I have my phone with me).

Or when copying videos to the device for later viewing. I do that frequently enough that it'd be slightly annoying to remove the cover every time too. (Though this one would be negated if W10M would just let me natively access network shares.)

Still, the main thing I was concerned about was having the slot be blocked by the battery like my 635 and most of all I'm just glad to see that's not the case.

TexasLabRat

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, as long as it's accessible with the battery still in place like I mentioned it's tolerable.

Among other reasons I've needed to access the card slot would be when I want to get photos off my actual camera (using a microSD card in an SD adapter) onto the phone to share with others via MMS or things of that sort. OneDrive can work for that, but either way I need either my PC or phone to have an accessible microSD slot to transfer via (and I don't have my PC with me nearly as often as I have my phone with me).

Or when copying videos to the device for later viewing. I do that frequently enough that it'd be slightly annoying to remove the cover every time too. (Though this one would be negated if W10M would just let me natively access network shares.)

Still, the main thing I was concerned about was having the slot be blocked by the battery like my 635 and most of all I'm just glad to see that's not the case.

Considering the phone will have usb 3.1 transfer speed plus the continuum dock (to which you should be able to connect cameras and/or external card readers depending on driver support) there should be very little need to ever remove the phone's card I would think. The fact that you still can is just a bonus/fail-safe.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I tried it; it was nice. While I only did a couple shots and had a limited choice of things to photograph since the phone was attached with a cord to the desk, I did a comparison with my 1020 (lumia camera) and the 950xl (windows camera). For zoom, the 1020 destroyed the 950xl. The 950xl was much more pixelated when I tried to zoom to read a sign a couple tables away. However, without zooming, the image from the 950xl looked better. It had more depth of field and I thought the color was better. It wasn't a great rigorous test, but that's my initial experience. Oh, and it took pictures FAST (it seemed almost instantaneous, since I'm used to the 1020).

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I tried it; it was nice. While I only did a couple shots and had a limited choice of things to photograph since the phone was attached with a cord to the desk, I did a comparison with my 1020 (lumia camera) and the 950xl (windows camera). For zoom, the 1020 destroyed the 950xl. The 950xl was much more pixelated when I tried to zoom to read a sign a couple tables away. However, without zooming, the image from the 950xl looked better. It had more depth of field and I thought the color was better. It wasn't a great rigorous test, but that's my initial experience. Oh, and it took pictures FAST (it seemed almost instantaneous, since I'm used to the 1020).

thanks for sharing this - where did you try this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise