10-12-2015 09:35 AM
32 12
tools
    Great video with Microsoft's camera guru explaining the three things that make the camera in the Lumia 950 XL top-notch.
    Come for the info, stay for the reaction to Living Images 2.0

Microsoft Lumia 950 and 950 XL: Power has never been so light
    Likwidz likes this.
    10-07-2015 07:01 PM
    "Ooh... I've seen something like this!"
    10-07-2015 07:12 PM
    10-07-2015 09:56 PM
    The camera is the single most important feature to me, and a large part of the reason why Nokia lured me to Windows Phone.

Awesome to finally hear from Juha, and hear about the image quality. I've been very curious how the 950 series cameras will compare to the 1520 camera. Based on f1.9 alone, the new phones will be much better in low light, but I'm looking forward to Windows Central conducting camera comparison tests in the near future.
    sleeve22, Neo Nuke, M L and 3 others like this.
    10-07-2015 10:45 PM
    I'm glad he made a point to tell the guy that we had living images way before the iPhone. I can't wait for this device!
    10-07-2015 11:08 PM
    Nice to see that MS didn't fire the talented Nokia camera engineers and that they didn't quit either.
    10-07-2015 11:36 PM
    My 1520 is busted and I was so impatient that I preorder an iPhone 6s plus today, but after seeing this I remembered why I love using windows phone so much. I'm going to call AT&T first thing in the morning and cancel my order. 950 XL in my future.
    10-08-2015 12:22 AM
    Nice to see that MS didn't fire the talented Nokia camera engineers and that they didn't quit either.

They let go the "extra baggage" that came with the acquisition. The people that had the most vision, and tech experience they kept. Simple.

It was funny too, "hey, I've seen that somewhere before", as if insinuating that MS copied apple with that feature. The MS guy was like yeah we had that for 2 years in windows phone and Lumia. Buddy never said a word.
    10-08-2015 05:02 AM
    here
    Thanks for the embed. I tried but it wouldn't let me. Guess this is a YouTube video and not some proprietary video player and is more trusted by the mobile nations team.
    10-08-2015 10:41 AM
    I just hope that Microsoft DOES something with the Living Images feature. Can we get the LI as wallpapers? Lock screens? Do they show in the Photos app? On my Icon, none of those things are available. Will it show on the web when I share a picture from my OneDrive camera roll folder? That doesn't happen now either.
    The feature has largely been useless. Will it actually be useful now?
    anthonyng and VladoneTCB like this.
    10-08-2015 04:03 PM
    "Ooh... I've seen something like this!"
    He obviously live in the apple bubble and doesnt know what exist outside of that even if it's been around for 2 years.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    10-08-2015 06:09 PM
    They let go the "extra baggage" that came with the acquisition. The people that had the most vision, and tech experience they kept. Simple.
    I would hope so. Too bad they apparenlty didn't keep the people who design the outside of the phone.
    10-08-2015 07:18 PM
    Hah, glad Juha stood his ground and corrected the presenter.

The review by Pete Pachal was actually a decent read, it was little light on details but it was decent never the less.
    10-08-2015 07:38 PM
    Just yesterday my younger brother and I were discussing phones and he was describing a new feature on his iPhone called live photos. It took me a minute to realize what he was describing was living images because I didn't expect his "new cool thing" was something that had been on Windows Phone for years.
    10-08-2015 09:16 PM
    I'm looking forward to seeing how good the camera is in the real world. I never trust press photos. In that video for example they showed the first photo and said "this is what you'd get in a typical smartphone". Maybe, but which smartphone? What lighting conditions were the two photos shot in? If I take the time to set up a shot and manually set the aperture and shutter speed, ISO and flash power I can get a great shot vs just hip fire shooting my DSLR. I know there is a lot of excitement right now I just don't want to get overzealous about a product nobody has really put through its paces yet.

Now with that said, what they've shown so far looks pretty good, and that photo he took at the end was not in the most favorable lighting and looked ok, but then again it was a picture on a smartphone that was being videotaped from a few feet away that I am now looking at on a monitor. So hard to really tell. I never really cared for living images before, I doubt I'll use them now, maybe if like was mentioned above where they let you use them as a wallpaper or lock screen perhaps.
    10-08-2015 09:39 PM
    Best thing he said was living images are now supported on every Windows 10 device and uses a standard file format.

Will be interesting to see that in action.
    Neo Nuke, 920Walker and mariachris like this.
    10-08-2015 09:49 PM
    Best thing he said was living images are now supported on every Windows 10 device and uses a standard file format.

Will be interesting to see that in action.
    I agree. I took a ton of living images on my Nokia 1520, but they do not export to any other device. He said the video was embedded into the .jpg. Will be interesting if I can view that on my Windows 10 PC.
    10-09-2015 04:49 AM
    He obviously live in the apple bubble and doesnt know what exist outside of that even if it's been around for 2 years.

Just like 90 percent of the lemmings. They think apple invented the phone, the computer, watches, breathing, and possibly in some diehard situations cell structure in the human brain.
    10-09-2015 04:54 AM
    Just like 90 percent of the lemmings. They think apple invented the phone, the computer, watches, breathing, and possibly in some diehard situations cell structure in the human brain.
    I hope you are just being lighthearted. If you were serious then I am afraid to have to say that this is not reality no matter how many people I see on these forums proclaim that it is. People need to understand that you will NOT win people over to the Windows phone platform by insulting them or their intelligence and decision making and judgement. I know a lot of people with iPhones and Android phones and only 2 (a husband and wife) who use Windows phones. None of them (including the windows phone users) thinks Apple invented any of those things nor do they even care. The dad or grandpa who buys a smartphone just wants one because he wants to use it to take pictures of his kid or grandchild while they are out playing or at a sporting event or to read email, or watch a movie, play a game. They do not care who made what first, they only care if the product works, it is easy to use and they can afford it. The only people who even remotely talk this way are keyboard warriors on web forums.

Come on guys, if we want to win hearts and minds to the platform can we cut this stuff out?
    etad putta and libra89 like this.
    10-09-2015 03:31 PM
    I agree. I took a ton of living images on my Nokia 1520, but they do not export to any other device. He said the video was embedded into the .jpg. Will be interesting if I can view that on my Windows 10 PC.
    He stated the jpg format is viewable on Windows 10 devices. For web uploads and other devices they can be shared as videos from the Photos app.
    10-09-2015 04:05 PM
    Check it around 4:18 to see living images on system
    Neo Nuke likes this.
    10-09-2015 06:00 PM
    I hope you are just being lighthearted. If you were serious then I am afraid to have to say that this is not reality no matter how many people I see on these forums proclaim that it is. People need to understand that you will NOT win people over to the Windows phone platform by insulting them or their intelligence and decision making and judgement. I know a lot of people with iPhones and Android phones and only 2 (a husband and wife) who use Windows phones. None of them (including the windows phone users) thinks Apple invented any of those things nor do they even care. The dad or grandpa who buys a smartphone just wants one because he wants to use it to take pictures of his kid or grandchild while they are out playing or at a sporting event or to read email, or watch a movie, play a game. They do not care who made what first, they only care if the product works, it is easy to use and they can afford it. The only people who even remotely talk this way are keyboard warriors on web forums.

Come on guys, if we want to win hearts and minds to the platform can we cut this stuff out?
    I think he,like myself is speaking more of the Apple diehards that live in the Apple bubble and think that every "new" feature apple announces is actually NEW because they know nothing of what exist of there Apple centric worlds.

Steve Adams, 920Walker and editguy like this.
    10-09-2015 10:36 PM
    I guess you can say Apple fans are...

Rotten to the core.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
    10-09-2015 11:56 PM
    I guess you can say Apple fans are...

Rotten to the core.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
    image.jpg
    ArtificiallyYours and MikeSo like this.
    10-10-2015 01:50 AM
    I think he,like myself is speaking more of the Apple diehards that live in the Apple bubble and think that every "new" feature apple announces is actually NEW because they know nothing of what exist of there Apple centric worlds.

That's exactly what I am saying. And there are more out there than you think. rooks308, Do I know you, because my wife and I are the only ones I know of who use windows phone.
    10-10-2015 04:21 PM
32 12