950 + XL - VoLTE, VoWifi, Displayport Over USB support +

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Out of curiousity thought I'd check out the FAQ on the 950 and XL models, Screenshots below for those who are too lazy to check :winktongue:
802.11ac.PNG

That's a given, I'm hoping we get ability to set our static IP... some Lumia models have it and some don't :grincry: . Before anybody says it's useless, it may be useless for you but for other's it is not.

Display Port over Usb.PNG

Display Port over USB, that's a much welcomed addition.

VoLTE.PNG
VoWiFi.PNG

It appears they do support VoLTE and VoWifi out of the box however given there is no manual posted yet, (which is understandable as the O/S is not finished yet) we're going to have to wait for the reviews to see if that is true or not.

Wireless Charging.PNG

Looks like they are going to have reword this page :grin: .

Also if anybody was wondering what the available storage is:
Storage.PNG

Current list:

Current List.PNG

Lastly Lumia Camera and Rich capture have been incorporated into the Camera App.

Rich Capture.PNG

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
That's good but not really unexpected. The band for VoLTE is there (at least for T-Mobile). The real question is whether carriers will allow an unlocked, non-branded phone to enjoy features such as VoLTE and Wifi calling. My money is on "no".

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Band 12/700Mhz on T-Mobile is only VoLTE I think. If any of the new Lumia's don't support T-Mobile's Band 12 VoLTE anyone who's using these phones will lose their signal if they happen into an area that has the Band 12 going. The phone will switch but will not be able to make calls. Band 12 in the phone would have to be de-activated in the device and hopefully find another band available .. be it a band 2 or 4 ... This is what I'm gathering. If the phone HAS to be a T-Mobile branded phone in order for Band 12/VoLTE to work ---- I may pass on a Microsoft unlocked/carrier-free 950 and just go with my iPhone 6s. :-(

I do NOT EVER want to buy a carrier locked phone again ... EVER.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you, you are great for posting this! I was wondering about VoLTE the most.

Your most welcome, I wouldn't get you're hopes up yet as they may have support for them out of the gate however if the Carriers are being this "picky" they may not be so inclined to give you that functionality. Given how they have been in the past - disabling tethering and group messaging.... which is wrong on all levels. Why do you guys put up with this madness? :angry:

Anyway wait for the reviews, VoLTE and VoWifi will most likely be covered.

That's good but not really unexpected. The band for VoLTE is there (at least for T-Mobile). The real question is whether carriers will allow an unlocked, non-branded phone to enjoy features such as VoLTE and Wifi calling. My money is on "no".

Here in the UK we can use the carrier's apps do make calls via WiFi or send texts however since they charge or deduct from your allowance, not many use it.

Why should we?

WhatsApp, Skype, Viber etc handle that just fine and for free too.

Band 12/700Mhz on T-Mobile is only VoLTE I think. If any of the new Lumia's don't support T-Mobile's Band 12 VoLTE anyone who's using these phones will lose their signal if they happen into an area that has the Band 12 going. The phone will switch but will not be able to make calls. Band 12 in the phone would have to be de-activated in the device and hopefully find another band available .. be it a band 2 or 4 ... This is what I'm gathering. If the phone HAS to be a T-Mobile branded phone in order for Band 12/VoLTE to work ---- I may pass on a Microsoft unlocked/carrier-free 950 and just go with my iPhone 6s. :-(

I do NOT EVER want to buy a carrier locked phone again ... EVER.

Both have band 12 support, link below.

US Freq Comp.PNG
Comparison - Lumia 950 on the Left - XL on the right

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Why would the 950 have band 17 but not the XL? Who uses that?

Rogers in Canada and few other carriers in different countries.

The odd thing is that the Dual Sim version of the XL has band 17 and the Single does not and both versions of the 950 also have it - perhaps a listing error?
Dual vs Single - XL.PNG

Dual on the left and single on the right.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I don't see why they would be different. Seems odd to me. Unless they had particular carriers lined up. As you say, perhaps a typo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6