10-15-2015 07:48 PM
73 123
tools
    Im almost 2 hours one way to the nearest Microsoft store so as soon as online preorders are available, im in. I have an HTC One M8 WP and I love it. First windows phone and im hooked. I look forward so much to the power and features of the 950xl but also the whole Windows as one platform across their devices. I am buying into the ecosystem.
    Likwidz, aximtreo and tuxedo323 like this.
    10-10-2015 03:48 PM
    I meant online, no store near me...thanks for the exact model # tho! Was that a 32GB model by chance?
    I saw the same model in Toronto, Ontario, it's the 32GB unit
    10-10-2015 04:03 PM
    I did it simply to let Microsoft know "yes, I am interested" and let them gauge interest. I'm not sure I'll buy it, but leaning towards it, so might as well pre-order for free.
    Same exact reason here as well.
    aximtreo and TexasLabRat like this.
    10-10-2015 04:50 PM
    Pre ordered my 950xl dual sim black here in Poland and the availability says 28th of October. We will see if it's the truth. Microsoft partner as there are no MS shops in Poland.
    10-11-2015 11:18 AM
    I just pre ordered a 950 XL in black for $0 at the Microsoft store at Yorkdale Mall in Toronto... Will get a call when it's available.... The rep said should be coming out before the holidays.... Toooo long lol.... Said that all the Canadian models will be dual sim... Let's see if that's true
    10-11-2015 12:16 PM
    Why preorder this stuff? It's not like there's going to be a shortage or a line out the door you have to camp out overnight in front of the MS store. I mean, I'm planning on buying a phone too so I'm a fan and all..just wondering what all the hub-bub is that would incline folks to pre-order.

With games..pre-orders are incentivized by bundling with in-game goodies or toys or whatever. There isn't any bundle deal that I'm aware of...so where's the motivation beyond just simple super-fan status?
    It's not inconceivable that MS would undership, whether as a marketing ploy or to gauge interest. It wouldn't be the first time they did (ie. Band and some moedels of the SP3). That was the main reason I tried to start a separate pre-order thread on the 950 forum (and got my head ripped off for it). Add in the fact that we could possibly be looking at one US carrier selling them initially and I don't think it's a stretch to say that they could be gone in two days.
    10-11-2015 12:29 PM
    I got email confirmation from my seller here in Poland that i should be able to pick it up on 28th October Morning in the shop. It seems weird to me to have it here before the US but we will see
    10-11-2015 01:21 PM
    I'll wait for a canadian carrier to have the device , to expensive to buy full price...
    10-11-2015 01:59 PM
    Are you guys preordering in a MS Store? Their website only has an option to email when available
    To be fair, "preordering" (well, ordering) at a store is the exact same thing. No money passes hands; they take name, email, and phone number. That's it.

And, no obligation to purchase.

They said it's to help them with inventory when it's released. I'm sure they have some idea of how many of those orders will turn into sales and how many will not follow through.
    aximtreo and donkiluminate like this.
    10-11-2015 02:00 PM
    Any word on how much the dock cost?
    In addition to the wired dock, they have a US$59 wireless display adapter. It's a general purpose device, it looks like; works with Miracast, for example.

But when 950XL connects to it, you get the full Continuum experience. The display shows a desktop interface, and the 950XL turns into a trackpad.
    10-11-2015 02:03 PM
    I am pretty much over carrier branded and/or locked phones, but I may make an exception for this one.
    See my post elsewhere in this forum about why you might want to make this exception. (Then again, you might not.)
    10-11-2015 02:05 PM
    See my post elsewhere in this forum about why you might want to make this exception. (Then again, you might not.)
    Not sure where that post would be, however, I don't think I want a XL, so I would be locked into the ATT version at first.

I am going to go by the MS store this week (I will be out of town all week, and will be able to find one in the city I'm one day for lunch) and check it out. I have a couple of 1520's I'm trying to sell - it's just too big.

If my choice is ATT 950 or nothing, well, that's not a choice. I'll eat it and do it. If so, though, it better be less expensive than the unlocked version. And, I'll buy it outright, so I can unlock it right away, and not be locked into Next contracts.
    aximtreo likes this.
    10-11-2015 02:15 PM
    I'm not really talking about 950XL vs 950; it's a functionality question. I posted a thread in this very forum this morning with the subject, "950 AT&T version vs MS store unlocked--will it be the same issue as with iPhone 6s?". Take a look.

If buying unlocked dings you on functionality inside the AT&T world, you might re-think things.

And now that you bring it up, it might be worth it--if the price is identical--to buy an AT&T phone and immediately unlock it, if it allows for additional functionality. I could take it to T-Mobile, then when selling it down the road I would maximize my buying audience.
    10-11-2015 02:35 PM
    Let it go on record. hahaha. I pre-ordered couple of days ago.
    10-11-2015 04:47 PM
    I preordered as well and was told they will be out by the holidays..which is cryptic info and means they have no idea
    10-11-2015 05:23 PM
    I'll post the same thing I posted on the 950 forum. The White Plains, NY store is NOT taking pre-orders. I've both gone to the store and asked, and then followed up and called two days later to see if possibly the rep I spoke to just didn't know. They both confirmed they're not taking pre-orders.

Looks like I'm gonna have to sit in front my my pc with clothespins on my eyelids hitting the refresh button until it becomes available.
    10-11-2015 06:09 PM
    Well, a $0 "pre-order" isn't so much a "pre-order" as collecting a list of people who exhibited interest, people to call and email when it becomes available.

That's all they wanted: my name, email address, and phone number. They'll contact me when it comes in.

Maybe if you call back and ask if they're doing that, you'll get a different response. Maybe they think of "pre-order" in terms of you paying for it and them reserving one for you, which they're NOT doing. So ask it in a different way.
    TexasLabRat likes this.
    10-11-2015 06:56 PM
    Microsoft will almost certainly sell these at Best Buy since they have a retail agreement with them. Patience....
    That would be great but are you sure? I've never seen a current production Lumia at BestBuy other than carrier locked versions.
    libra89 and aximtreo like this.
    10-13-2015 04:50 PM
    I was in Best Buy this weekend. They had the AT&T 640 GoPhone, and no others. At least that's one more than I could find at Sam's Club or Costco.

Oh, they also had a 1520 on display at the Microsoft area in BB but none actually for sale.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-13-2015 10:57 PM
    I preordered my 950XL today at the Microsoft Store. If a better deal comes along or a promotional package from Microsoft, I will go for that, but at least I will have one locked in and will not have to deal with trying to find when they do arrive if there are no deals.
    10-14-2015 12:42 AM
    I preordered my 950XL in white today too. Didn't play with the phone long.
    Hopefully they pull something out of their asses and go
    "HEY GUYS!! Thanks for your interest in the 950/XL. We would like to offer you an exclusive pre-holiday-package for your interest in preordering the device." Boom, free Continuum or wireless dock or something. Anything... even $5 headphones.
    That would be nice.
    10-14-2015 01:45 AM
    Pre-ordered from fnac.pt.

We wont get the dual-sim version in Denmark, and a 20% discount was to good to resist. Now I just hope there wont be any problems, as there is a long way from Denmark to Portugal :)
    10-15-2015 05:00 AM
    I went to the Microsoft store last week and looked at the 950 XL but didn't preorder because the store is an hour from my house. When I returned home I found out pre-orders are not available online. Yesterday I tried calling the Raleigh Microsoft store and could tell my call was routed to a call center. The salesperson said the 950 XL was available for pre-order and would I like to do it over the phone. She then said the Raleigh location "had run out of pre-orders" and Microsoft could email when the phone was available. This didn't sound right, and the salesperson didn't sound confident, so I took a chance and drove back to the Raleigh store today and they took my pre-order for a white 950 XL with zero down and gave me a receipt. They still do not have a display model of the Surface Book.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-15-2015 07:48 PM
73 123