Long Time Verizon Windows Phone Users Cheated By Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I was on my 4th smartphone and 3rd Windows mobile device on Verizon when the IPhone came out. Then 3 Trophy's for wife and kid , 822 for me 928 for wife and now ATIV-SE for me. You don't need to tell me about the rocky road with windows on Verizon. I could not believe how long it took to get 8.1 for my ATIV-SE. But in all fairness Verizon has treated me well. Except for local carriers they are really the only carrier in Southeast Iowa with Windows phone and great signal. I owe Microsoft as I have made a living supporting their Server operating systems since NT 4.0. My family supports their tech. We own Surface Pro 1 and 3, Dell Venue 8 Pro, 1 laptop with Windows 10, 3 desktops with 8.1 WMC. I am a MS Action Pack Subscriber. I was hopeful about the 850 and XL on Verizon as I wanted to get the 850 for my wife and XL for myself. So I understand that Verizon is not a good fit for THEM. Well Microsoft its not about YOU, it's about US. Your long time users and supporters that loved using your products (Windows Phone) on Verizon. YOU CRIPPLED THE PHONE SO IT WOULD NOT WORK ON VERIZON. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I love Windows Central and MS stuff but this is an absolute insult to me and my family. Just business right? Bad business. I followed the Threads on this sight with great excitement and watched the MS event, was very impressed. Your teaching Verizon a lesson and we Verizon windows phone users users (No AT&T signal here) are just collateral damage. I wanted a powerful Windows phone with a removable battery. Even Samsung going away from that. Low and behold you promised not one but two phones with much more. God bless you, I could not have asked for more. A real unlocked phone such as iphone or nexus 6 can go on Verizon. I guess that is because the makers of those phones and Verizon care about the people who use their products and it is good business all around. I feel a little bad about the negativity. But I also feel like I have been a good user, supporter and cheerleader for the Microsoft product through the years and not getting treated in kind. This is a wonderful forum, I spend more time reading and learning here than anywhere on the web. Thanks!

skt_diaz

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
Its not possible for any company to cater to everyone's needs no matter how big a fan they are. You could have gotten an unlocked phone if software updates were an issue. I would have been angry in your position too but no one is forcing you to stay on windows. There are many androids to choose from ;) . You can come back to windows when its more mature.

OutlawFirebird

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
The way I see it it's more Verizon fault. Verizon never really carried to support windows. Delayed launches and updates, putting window phones and tablets in the back corner, stop selling them few months after release, just to put another android in its spot that's basically the same as the rest of there phones, trying there hardest to get people to not buy a windows phone. So I can understand why MS didn't put versions networking band in the phones, but I also think Microsoft should of did it anyway and told Verizon off. If they had CDMA networking in them, we would most likely have a whole other problem getting them activated.

drtek

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Why would MS spend more money adding a band that they know would not be used. Or at least sold. Verizon's history towards WP says it all. They probably would not have activated the phones. Fool me once...

d3ac0n

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Verizon asked to dictate updates. Microsoft said no. End off story.

Microsoft will not have another icon mess (capable hardware with no update due to carrier denial)

Is Microsoft's way or the high way.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Bologwp

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
OP, I could not agree with you more, l have long been a MS supporter and for many reasons I will stay with Verizon, this stupid pissing contest needs to end! I am still using my 822 and I want something as good or better with a removable battery and expandable storage to upgrade to, they have made it, why in the hell can't we use it? That was what made MS so much better than Apple in theold every one could use

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
You haven't been "cheated" by Microsoft.

Being a Verizon customer with Windows phones, you've been cheated by Verizon for years.

Just amazing how people don't understand.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
My story is not unique.. I wanted to get away from Apple and Android and onto Windows. Had a few of the 735 level phones and was just hanging out waiting for the Flagships to arrive. The big day comes and I find out that they are not available on Americas biggest network.
My company is with Verizon so I am stuck with them.. So all the waiting was for not...

I am again stuck with Apple or Android.... I have a Surface Pro 3, Band, Windows 10 on my Laptop.... All ready to complete the transition.. but cut off again.... It just sucks....

tommybrrr

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Get rid of the stupid US phone carrier law, that allows to lock a phone to a carrier !!! The land of the free, everybody can buy weapons, you flew to the moon, but a mobile phone that is interchangeable between all carriers (like in Europe) is not possible?

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Technically, there is no reason these devices can't work on Verizon. Other devices with the same internals do. These have just been prevented from doing so.

That being said, I doubt we'll ever get an honest explanation as to why. Maybe ATT wanted the devices for themselves in return for other favors (advertising, agreeing to special displays in stores, higher subsidies, etc). Maybe MS demanded the ability to update their devices directly which Verizon just refused (while also clarifying that MS updatable devices would not be activated on Verizon's network, even if they are compatible). We'll probably never know.

What we can be 100% sure of is that this has nothing to do with MS wanting to "teach Verizon a lesson". MS will not willingly limit the channels through which they can sell their devices without reason. No company is that stupid, not to mention that such a move would hurt MS more than Verizon.

Last edited:

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
You haven't been "cheated" by Microsoft.

Being a Verizon customer with Windows phones, you've been cheated by Verizon for years.

Just amazing how people don't understand.

I'm on Verizon, but one thing I hate about them is how they keep coming around with assault rifles and force me to buy an iPhone or flagship Android, and don't let me switch to another carrier. /s

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
We don't know the whole story. For all we know Verizon said it wouldn't test the phones and thus wouldn't activate them on their network. If that's the case then it's fully understandable that MS would save the cost and leave the radio's out. Or it could be that Verizon didn't like the idea of direct updates to the OS and refused to allow them on their network since they wouldn't test each time after a Windows Update, so again said they wouldn't activate them.

I seriously doubt this was something MS did to spite Verizon or their customers.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Again I want to thank EVERYONE for their reply's. Good discussion. Here in Southeast Iowa the main competitor to Verizon is US Cellular. They have good coverage in this area on par with Verizon but have never been into Windows phone. One of my young co workers had the Odyssey with US Cellular and had issues with it and no update for it switched to an inexpensive Android. He is admittedly not a mobile enthusiast. My fellow workers are mainly on Android and iPhone of course. Only one of the system admins has had two windows phones in a row. HTC 8X and HTC One M8 4G LTE. I am going to revisit AT&T coverage in this area. If it has improved I will consider going that way as i don't want to give up on windows phone just yet. But I'm not kidding my wife and I has asked everyone we run into and no one uses AT&T here for lack of signal I guess. Even though we are about 20K population in my town it is mainly farmland. We drive to Iowa City, Quad Cities, Galesburg ILL and St.Louis occasionally. It might be an unreasonable assumption that most posting are in metropolitan areas (It would be interesting to know). Out here in the sticks coverage is a different deal. We have many areas with little coverage. Especially on hyway 61 going to St. Louis. I have not been on a contract for a long time. And like I said Verizon has not been all bad. They have supplied me Windows phones and decent coverage for a long time even acknowledging all the negatives of being Windows phone on Verizon. If coverage was good for AT&T I would have a totally different attitude. I know it's just phones. It is pretty much only on this forum that I get to talk to people with Windows Phone. I am still rooting for the platform to survive.

Thanks
Bill

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Greetings Senordingdong2K

"Why can't you just buy an unlocked phone and put your sim card into it?"

If that is a serious question to me vs a general statement (I would agree with), One of the threads confirmed at the Microsoft store that it did not work.

Thanks
Bill

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I feel your pain, OP. Long time Verizon user here as well. Been with Windows since the Trophy on launch day.

Fortunately, my circumstances allow me to switch carriers. So i'll be heading to AT&T sometime in the near future.

dkediger

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Verizon asked to dictate updates. Microsoft said no. End off story.

Microsoft will not have another icon mess (capable hardware with no update due to carrier denial)

Is Microsoft's way or the high way.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

While the Icon never "got" Cyan, it was the first US phone on any carrier to get Denim I believe....

And ATT 830 users might have something to add also...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)