Long Time Verizon Windows Phone Users Cheated By Microsoft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the message. If we get up to Des Moines we will drop you line. I went online and checked that the nearest AT&T tower was 35 miles away from Burlington. I am going to investigate who else has GSM in our area. Also there is these MNVO networks like Cricket Wireless but they need a host network and guess who that would be.

Thanks
Bill

hardly_here

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
Ofcourse its personal! Its not about MS or Verizon, its about you! Glad you could share this with us. I hate all the major carriers, I guess thats why T-Mobile is picking up steam.

scd147

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Verizon will one day take heat for restricting updates like they do currently. But it won't from Microsoft. It will be from the Android community. After they have some humble pie, maybe Microsoft and Verizon can work together again. For right now, it sucks because not being on Verizon is a huge loss, but I really do think that will change someday.

Williaml99

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
For the record, I did post on Verizon's site and called them. While I was having a minor adjustment on my account I shared how much I wanted the 950&XL. Customer service was totally friendly and professional. He had never heard of the 950&XL.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Verizon will one day take heat for restricting updates like they do currently. But it won't from Microsoft. It will be from the Android community. After they have some humble pie, maybe Microsoft and Verizon can work together again. For right now, it sucks because not being on Verizon is a huge loss, but I really do think that will change someday.

Yeah, Android seems to be treated just as poorly as WP by Verizon.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, Android seems to be treated just as poorly as WP by Verizon.
[

Umm, no. Every year, all kinds of new android flagships arrive at VZW. Last WP? Icon. What a joke. It was a good phone, but it's dead. The only new phone you can get now is the 715. Again, a good phone (although not anywhere near even the old Icon) but that's it. Want another WP? Used is you choice. That's not changing any time soon, if at all. Updates? On WP? One VZW? Riiiiight.

If you want an up to date phone on Verizon, you have two OSs to choose from. Android or iPhone. If you want support of any kind, it's android or iPhone.

Ntropy99

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
Spot on. This isn't about Microsoft supporting their phone on Verizon, this is Verizon's sales people not selling Windows phones. And I am on Verizon. Nothing I wouldn't like more than the 950 or 950XL in hand, but Verizon was left off of the list because of the lack of sales. Verizon had the opportunity to have a third ecosystem to compete with Apple and chose not to support it. Easier for them to support Android for which they created the anti-apple. Seriously, if you were Microsoft, would you take a bad deal from Verizon only to have them not train their people to sell these phones? I have a picture of the HTC M8 with Windows under a "powered by Android" in a Verizon store. So, if you were Satya, what would you do?

asoyemi

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
His problem is not that windows phone have not matured, but more of the shenanigan between MSFT and VZN, the difference is, he is faulting MSFT for the fallout (Maybe justifiably so). I am TMO is in your area, or one of the other small carriers that uses GSM network. I brought that up because Assuming you have all the facts, chances are VZN might be to blame and if so, and as you shared above about your likes for windows product, You might want to dish Verizon versus dishing MSFT.
I use TMO strictly because of their pricing and the fact that their plans are structured such that our 3 teenage kids cannot cause data overage damage, if they finish all their LTE data size, they get throttled I don't get hit financially while not seeing it coming, please not because they have greatest network. Wife and I plan to get 950 and 950xl respectively, but TMO's name did not show up, If MSFT was not offering unlocked as they have announced, I am dishing TMo, probably leave our kids on TMo and Wife and I on AT&T, I would not dish Windows, they are the best in the world devices wise, but they have those niche that I feel comfortable with. We have 2 L1520, 1 L640XL, 1 L640, 1 BLU-HD and a traitor in our house that dearly love with iPhone 5. As you can tell, non of those phone were for TMo, we bought all of them unlocked. I am not changing platform, I am windows mobile to stay, I will switch a carrier that has no alternative network to accommodate my windows mobile devices in a heartbeat, contract deals are no more vogue, folks are learning to buy their phones, about time for carriers to simply provide network at competitive prices.

Tim Stone

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site
I've been with the carrier that became Verizon for over 20 years. When the first Win 8 phones came out, Verizon ordered the manufacturers to turn off certain features, including the Message Text Grouping capability that is totally standard. Of course they denied it until HTC and Samsung showed the written build orders to the media. Why did they do that ? I wanted to know so I had extensive phone conversations that reached behind the block walls used to isolate administration. It was never about customers or technology. Check out why Pebble doesn't work on WinPhone ! You'll get the drift.

I then did some research at the local stores and found that corporate, and store management, essentially had no interest in selling Win Phones. They actually only wanted to sell their high commission Android varieties, and gave me a hard time when I wanted to get an iPhone for my wife. ( I took my business to the Apple store instead ). In fact, several of my clients and friends were actively pushed away from Windows phones in the corporate stores, even to the point of pretending an Android was a win phone, and then charging them a restocking fee when they took it back after discovering the lie ( within 24 hours ).

I also spent time talking with people at Microsoft through this period, and knew the many offers of training, support, etc. they had offered to Verizon, but corporate loved not cooperating with the company.

Adding CDMA requires engineering time, and support time. Why waste that precious resource only to have Verizon sandbag the phones and then claim no one likes them ? Even though the Icon had a 98% satisfaction rating on Verizon's own website, the people in the store claimed no one bought, or kept, them.

I have to use Verizon because of the coverage and my business needs. However, I do not blame Microsoft for not wasting time and money going down that road. Any person from Verizon who claims they were interested is just telling a bold falsehood ! I spent a ton of time in these discussions with people who were open, and honest, on both sides, and came away with the conclusion that Verizon gets 100% of the blame.

So I can't get one of the new phones ! For now I'm using an iPhone 6+ because of some apps I need, and I have a second line with my Icon. It will do all I need for now, and my budget will be stretched anyway upgrading to a Band 2, and Surface Book.

For those who want to jump on Microsoft's case, maybe you should step back and look at what they have accomplished in the past year, what they are trying to do for their customers overall, the complexity of the task before them, and then ask why they need to be abused further by Verizon. Seriously, 110,000,000 devices have been converted to Win 10 for FREE. Who does that ? Please, give Microsoft some credit. Have you ever heard of Verizon giving you stuff for free ?

ltjordan24

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry. You're blaming Microsoft because of the way Verizon has SCREWED them over for the last five years? I've been with Windows phone since 2010 (Trophy, 822, 928, Icon) so I've been there every step of the way and I'm glad that Microsoft finally refused to stop being treated like a second-class citizen by Verizon. The only carrier to treat them worse is Sprint. Coincidentally, they both happen to be CDMA carriers. When a new iphone launches and you go to the Verizon website, what do you see, iPhone everywhere. You see it on the main page, when you log into your account, you get messages about the iphone, when you click on a device upgrade, it's the first phone they show you, even months later. When have they ever done that with any Windows phone? When was the 8.1.2 update released? How many Windows phones have it? When 8.1 first came out, it took them eight months to "approve it" despite the fact that there was nothing wrong with it. I joined the preview program so I had been using it for months without incident. When was the 735 released to the rest of the world? How many months later did Verizon release it to little fanfare and no models available in the stores, after Android flagships had already been released by Samsung? And you're blaming Microsoft.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I could go on but there really is no point. If you're blaming Microsoft despite all the facts to the contrary, there really is no point.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for participating here.

The Verizon thing is certainly a hot subject.
There are other threads that cover the frustrations expressed.
We encourage all to seek out these other discussions and continue there in a civil fashion.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.