950/950XL are underestimated

colinkiama

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
I actually agree with Daniel on this one. These Lumias aren't the phones that the enthusiasts were waiting for. This was just a flagship so Microsoft could shut the whining windows phone fans up. The Surface phone is that metal premium device people have been dreaming about. I'm not saying the 950/950XL are bad devices (they are actually really good), however the phones that Panos Panay will work on will likely be way better than these ones. A 'Surface Phone'. A phone where Microsoft handles every bit of detail of the device, not just software while Nokia did most of the hardware part as prototypes.

tommybrrr

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
I think continuum and businesses customers are key to Lumia success. Those are to areas, where IOS and Android failed miserably, not only from a security stand point.

Marty89

Feb 6, 2014
Visit site
Well, I remember when Daniel said that 830 won't have S400 a day before announcement. So I take his words with a grain of salt.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
Well, I remember when Daniel said that 830 won't have S400 a day before announcement. So I take his words with a grain of salt.
So one time is enough to take his words with a grain of salt? I have noticed that he is usually quite accurate, but of course he isn't in Microsoft so he isn't always going to be right.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
I read this with the sound of Panos, even stressing out things like "Blow you Mind" and "insane speed".
to the point that I thought Panos is actually trying to direct us into buying these phones.

All in all.....this eco system war, and when will we get apps a nd when will people join windows 10 mobile, 4 years, 5 years...etc, and all this issue has one solution... people are cheap, and want cheaper/free SSHT.

The ipod was successful because it made getting music a bit cheaper, iPhone just built on top of that, but iPhone really grew after jailbreak happened.

Iremember people in my country paying $100 dollars for a jailbreak, to get a $20 dollars worth of apps. (people did not understand paying for apps, they do not see the value for money), then people started learning, and started doing it their selves but it was a hustle.

how did android get into this game? same, android offered all the apps that where on iPhone for free (or atleast the shiny ones), without the jailbreak, people where like, what?? i don't have to pay for jealbreak, and i will get all these apps!! wowww. and the whole android era started.

now if you want windows phone to get into this game... you have to offer something for free... maybe office 365... real office 365, not like the one we got in windows phone 8. something like the mature one that we have now....

but better not to give free boring apps, give some free fun things... people will start joining....

this will continue happening until some bubble blows up due to this weird times and weird business models.

thank you for reading

malachijd

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
You know I look at the 950 and the 950 xl as something actually better than any other phone out there. Look at all the tradeoffs every other phone comes with right now. Be it no sd card, no removable battery, no future proof. The 950 xl has the top Qualcomm out right now and even address the over heating problem. It has a big removable battery. It comes with 32 gigs plus an SD card slot. It has Usb-c. Quick charge, qi wireless charging. Show me another phone that comes close to it. Plus if you don't like the look you can change it to something more premium by a 3rd party and not add bulk. Who cares if it's not a surface phone. It's the most advanced phone out there period.

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
You know I look at the 950 and the 950 xl as something actually better than any other phone out there. Look at all the tradeoffs every other phone comes with right now. Be it no sd card, no removable battery, no future proof. The 950 xl has the top Qualcomm out right now and even address the over heating problem. It has a big removable battery. It comes with 32 gigs plus an SD card slot. It has Usb-c. Quick charge, qi wireless charging. Show me another phone that comes close to it. Plus if you don't like the look you can change it to something more premium by a 3rd party and not add bulk. Who cares if it's not a surface phone. It's the most advanced phone out there period.

I will try to not be the negative person.... but when you see this from a company, you should know its the last breath...

I remember when Nokia was struggling, the introduced the N8, which was a beast, 12mp, xenon flash, SD card, HDMI out, keyboard and mouse support, FM Radio transmitter (best thing ever in a phone), All Aluminum amazing design.

Yet it did not sell...

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
As a person who has been through a Samsung Focus, HTC Titan, 920, 1020 and now 1520 the 950 XL has the least amount of excitement for me. Why you may ask, I mean it doesn't exude anything new for me. As a longtime user, I'm going through another reboot (Windows 10), I'm downgrading in size from my 1520, I'm downgrading in camera from 1020. Remember back during the Focus/Titan days Samsung had exclusive apps and HTC had exclusive apps that's not the case anymore.

I asked someone on the forum about why the Surface Book doesn't have USB Type-C and they gave me the answer that not many devices use it yet and many just caught up with USB 3.0, which is true as I just bought an external HD that was USB 3.0 so I could get faster transfer rate. The Surface Book blew my mind because it's a Microsoft direct laptop that retains the Surface appeal in a bigger size. GREAT!!!! Makes me want to sell my retina MacBook but I have to play with it first before I buy (always the rule). The 950 XL didn't catch me that much and I could only buy it unlocked it seems through Microsoft (T-Mobile customer) to get pretty much the same phone I have now just with liquid cooling and a better processor (keep in mind I have the International 32GB 1520 with Qi).

You know what's appealing to me right now besides the SurfaceBook?
The fact that I can walk into any Apple Store and walk out with a 128gb Iphone 6s Plus and can pay monthly of $44 a month.

$44 a month! That's a deal.

Microsoft needs to get a similar program if they want to sell phones unlocked and direct. Heck even Motorola was selling a great phone for only $400. Give me a deal Microsoft.

Sorry for the rant. It's late.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I personally think the OP has misinterpreted Daniel's article completely.

No where did he say the phones were bad. They're just carry overs from the old Nokia roadmap and don't match the current aesthetics of the Surface or Band.

Sure MS did some changes to ensure a good product but these are not the well engineered, aesthetically pleasing phones we should be getting for flagships.

With these being the end of the Nokia roadmap, now MS will move forward with their own vision. Which is what is expected. I'd be wouldn't be surprised if the name Lumia is dropped completely. Which would be a good thing to me.

That's all Daniel was saying and there was enough evidence in the presentation to indicate as much. These phones are good but they're not really what people wanted regardless how you feel about them.

Try reading the article again with the right mindset and try holding off being offended. These phones are not going to to sell all that well but they're probably do OK for a first round W10M. I won't even mention the poor sells they'll probably have in the US thanks to the exclusive nonsense, but that's US carriers for you.

Last edited:

hprvez

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I read this with the sound of Panos, even stressing out things like "Blow you Mind" and "insane speed".
to the point that I thought Panos is actually trying to direct us into buying these phones.

All in all.....this eco system war, and when will we get apps a nd when will people join windows 10 mobile, 4 years, 5 years...etc, and all this issue has one solution... people are cheap, and want cheaper/free SSHT.

The ipod was successful because it made getting music a bit cheaper, iPhone just built on top of that, but iPhone really grew after jailbreak happened.

Iremember people in my country paying $100 dollars for a jailbreak, to get a $20 dollars worth of apps. (people did not understand paying for apps, they do not see the value for money), then people started learning, and started doing it their selves but it was a hustle.

how did android get into this game? same, android offered all the apps that where on iPhone for free (or atleast the shiny ones), without the jailbreak, people where like, what?? i don't have to pay for jealbreak, and i will get all these apps!! wowww. and the whole android era started.

now if you want windows phone to get into this game... you have to offer something for free... maybe office 365... real office 365, not like the one we got in windows phone 8. something like the mature one that we have now....

but better not to give free boring apps, give some free fun things... people will start joining....

this will continue happening until some bubble blows up due to this weird times and weird business models.

thank you for reading
Oh it did sell. I'm not surprised it did not in a country where people were still using flip dumb phones in 2006 and when an expensive costly phone came out, unable to even record videos or send mms, REVOLUTION!(just like living pictures) don't get me wrong but ignorance is not an excuse.
But then again 10 years later changing colours and themes on a phone is a must have because customization and "free" os, it's late for that the rest of the world already had android with symbian and got bored with that, the apps are not the reason of the growth of that "OS"

zkyevolved

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
I, for one, am very impressed at what both the 950 and the 950XL can do! I will be getting a 950XL the day it's released!
I think it's a little out of my price range. When the price drops on amazon I will pick it up. But my price limit on any device is 500 euros. It'll be 750 or 799 in Spain. To much... It won't sell well at that price point.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
Not me. I'm on contract with at&t on an unlimited data plan. If I can't get a phone on contract that's a problem. Unfortunately no month to month LTE unlimited plans.
Protip: Use your upgrade to buy a honking new iPhone. Sell it. Buy the phone you want. Problem solved.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site

No where did he say the phones were bad. They're just carry overs from the old Nokia roadmap and don't match the current aesthetics of the Surface or Band.

Sure MS did some changes to ensure a good product but these are not the well engineered, aesthetically pleasing phones we should be getting for flagships.

With these being the end of the Nokia roadmap, now MS will move forward with their own vision. Which is what is expected. I'd be wouldn't be surprised if the name Lumia is dropped completely. Which would be a good thing to me.

That's all Daniel was saying and there was enough evidence in the presentation to indicate as much. These phones are good but they're not really what people wanted regardless how you feel about them.

Try reading the article again with the right mindset and try holding off being offended. These phones are not going to to sell all that well but they're probably do OK for a first round W10M. I won't even mention the poor sells they'll probably have in the US thanks to the exclusive nonsense, but that's US carriers for you.
I dont think anyone was saying they were offended, rather it is odd that flagship phones came out beefed up and WP mobile was offended by the perceived delivery. I agree the phones will not take 50% of market share or something like that but I dont think that is they're intention.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site

Don't match? They match pretty good.

All it seems to be getting down to is the looks. Is a metal phone really all it takes to get people excited?
What do you expect? Smartphones don't have much creativity left in form factor.
It has edge to edge glass at the front, how more clean and simple do you want it? Only the Microsoft logo should be removed. That's about the only improvement you can do.
Thickness is fine and a bump is needed for such a spectacular camera. You don't want a thicker phone and you don't want a worse camera. So no solution there either.
The back looks clean and the lens is placed way nicer and centered opposing to where the iPhone has it crammed in a corner.
Plastic back for perfect ultra durability and super light pleasure.
The color scheme of black/white/silver perfectly matches the surface line.

You want those same square angles like the surface has? Are you insane. It would lay terrible in the hands.

So in conclusion you can't get any more surface design except when you make sacrifices. I'm sorry I don't want gay metal and square surface corners on a phone. A phone is a different kind of beast.

I'm getting really tired of everyone staring blind on a surface phone. The only interesting thing it could bring is intel chips

If you think panis was not enthusiastic about these phones, I strongly suggest you watch the presentation again. He was super enthusiastic. Words like mind-blowing were around every corner. The fact that Microsoft had less impact on this phone than on the next means nothing. Suddenly Nokia is not good enough to be associated with? Only they had that camera texh.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Many Windows Central Users Last Year:
Nokia forever! We want Nokia design to continue on under MS! I love polycarbonate because it can be colorful and metal doesn't allow wireless charging! Get rid of the sharp corners! Blah Blah Blah

Many Windows Central Users Now:
OMG! Why weren't these phones more similar to Surface! We want a surface Phone! You need metal to be premium! The Square pointy corners were so much more premium looking! Polycarbonate just looks cheap! We want a full start to finish Microsoft Device! Blah Blah Blah

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
If what everybody wants is a metal Surface-looking phone, I am sure it won't be too long before some vendor makes a metallic back cover with sharp edges. That is one advantage of the removable back that people are complaining makes it "not a flagship."

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Many Windows Central Users Last Year:
Nokia forever! We want Nokia design to continue on under MS! I love polycarbonate because it can be colorful and metal doesn't allow wireless charging! Get rid of the sharp corners! Blah Blah Blah

Many Windows Central Users Now:
OMG! Why weren't these phones more similar to Surface! We want a surface Phone! You need metal to be premium! The Square pointy corners were so much more premium looking! Polycarbonate just looks cheap! We want a full start to finish Microsoft Device! Blah Blah Blah

Exactl lol. Hilarious.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Don't match? They match pretty good.

All it seems to be getting down to is the looks. Is a metal phone really all it takes to get people excited?
What do you expect? Smartphones don't have much creativity left in form factor.
It has edge to edge glass at the front, how more clean and simple do you want it? Only the Microsoft logo should be removed. That's about the only improvement you can do.
Thickness is fine and a bump is needed for such a spectacular camera. You don't want a thicker phone and you don't want a worse camera. So no solution there either.
The back looks clean and the lens is placed way nicer and centered opposing to where the iPhone has it crammed in a corner.
Plastic back for perfect ultra durability and super light pleasure.
The color scheme of black/white/silver perfectly matches the surface line.

You want those same square angles like the surface has? Are you insane. It would lay terrible in the hands.

So in conclusion you can't get any more surface design except when you make sacrifices. I'm sorry I don't want gay metal and square surface corners on a phone. A phone is a different kind of beast.

I'm getting really tired of everyone staring blind on a surface phone. The only interesting thing it could bring is intel chips

If you think panis was not enthusiastic about these phones, I strongly suggest you watch the presentation again. He was super enthusiastic. Words like mind-blowing were around every corner. The fact that Microsoft had less impact on this phone than on the next means nothing. Suddenly Nokia is not good enough to be associated with? Only they had that camera texh.

You read way too much into my response. Much the same as you misinterpreted Dan's article and everyone else's article that mentions the same thing.

I have nothing against Nokia phones. I've owned Nokia phones for some time. Hell I've been to the town where they started from, how about you?

Is that fan boyish enough for you?

I am not dissing the phones in anyway. Your posts appear like a lot screeching to me and I feel that's what I would be hearing if I was in the same room with you. All I see is your piling on of assumptions. Building strawmen and knocking them down. You're not making points just making noise.

Let's be clear. There's nothing wrong with the phones but it's not overly surprising that MS will want to start putting their own stamp on their own phones. These are Nokia phones, not MS phones. There's nothing wrong saying that. That doesn't make them bad.

Nowhere did I say anything about material or anything else. I just pointed out that the phones don't follow the same aesthetics lines as the Surface or the Band. If you can't see that, then that's your problem.

I personally don't care what the phones are called either. However, if I was MS I would start to distance myself from the Lumia name and create my own brand. That's just logical from a business perspective.

Lastly, where does the Band have sharp angles? Please point them out to me as you'll noticed I included that in my statement. Nowhere did I say anything about the way a future phone looks. Don't speak for me.

Maybe you if stop having the major **** hurt whinge you might see some logic. However, I don't see that happening.

Enjoy your crying, I'm sure there's other here who will enjoy it. It won't be me though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel