• 00Days
  • 00Hours
  • 00Mins
  • 00Secs
Check out the best deals!
10-12-2015 05:29 PM
72 123
tools
    That last thing, I get it, but I don't. You would rather not have Verizon wasting devices and not training employees, like with the ICON. However, the solution isn't to make sure no Verizon or Sprint customers can use the devices, nor is it hiding them from T-Mobile in the scant MS Stores people have to make extra trips for (me, I'd have to drive 90+ minutes to a MS store, where as there are probably 5 AT&T locations within 15 minutes of me). Microsoft's almost acting like a petulant child, making a bad situation worse by taking their platform that lacks visibility and minimizing its opportunities.
    I believe this is because Microsoft has conceded and decided that it would cost more than it's worth to do whatever is needed to get the CDMA/Verizon compatibility functional, and they are done marketing to the masses. For the foreseeable future, they have decided that their phones are for the enthusiasts who will seek them out, and AT&T might have been the easiest to work with to essentially get a "stock" model into their stores. That's my interpretation of it, not really being petulant about Verizon/Sprint, but being realists about cost vs payoff.

I think they still have a mobile strategy, but they aren't really concerned with the current W10M and these current phones. They're already 2 years ahead, betting that they will have a real "pocket PC" at the time, that also can make phone calls and send SMS.
    10-12-2015 12:16 PM
    Android had went from a pleasant experience in 4.4.4, to a battery draining nightmare right after, and then it doesn't help the Stage Fright situation being overblown. My experience with Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, the OS does not age that well, and I've had random reboots, but I think this has to do with battery contact developing that insulating film.

It sucks having to think Android 6.0 might kill the battery even worse, here's to hoping it doesn't...
    10-12-2015 12:17 PM
    Android had went from a pleasant experience in 4.4.4, to a battery draining nightmare right after, and then it doesn't help the Stage Fright situation being overblown. My experience with Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean, the OS does not age that well, and I've had random reboots, but I think this has to do with battery contact developing that insulating film.

It sucks having to think Android 6.0 might kill the battery even worse, here's to hoping it doesn't...
    I didn't like ICS and JB either. Lollipop is a whole different ballgame. Great OS, and every bit as fast as efficient as W10M in my experience.
    10-12-2015 12:20 PM
    Android lags and you know it! People using Nexus have to make sure that they keep atleast 1 GB of RAM free for optimal performance. So they keep on checking task manager. Atleast you will agree that Windows speed is better than Android any day for the same specs. That's my point. Which people never highlight, they never give credit to Microsoft for transforming themselves from Vista to Windows 10. They never give credit to Nokia for improving their touch screen so much that you can touch it wearing gloves, or for making their display so wonderful(thanks to Clearblack tech) that a 480p Lumia screen shames a 720p Android device like Moto. Why are you people so scared of giving credits to products that deserve it? How will you feel if someone does that to you?
    Resuming...
    10-12-2015 12:27 PM
    The general public doesn't care
    Who are you to decide what the general public like more? my list of apps or your trillion or eProcates? Suddenly what you like matters and what I like doesn't matter? C'on man....
    10-12-2015 12:40 PM
    Resuming...
    for 512 MB RAM devices. Samsung Galaxy Duos is a device with 768 MB RAM and you cannot install more than 5 apps if you want to run it smoothly. If Lumia 720 with 512 MB can manage 30 LIVE tiles and occasionally gives resuming message, which is better dude?
    10-12-2015 12:43 PM
    No, I'm not giving Microsoft credit for Windows 10 when it launched half-finished, wants to charge you $15 to play DVDs
    No body cares whether YOU give credit to Windows 10 or not. 110 million people have installed it and most of them are loving it. That is evident from the data shown by Microsoft at the start of the show.
    10-12-2015 12:48 PM
    The general public in the US want their banking apps, home automation apps, social apps, shopping apps, education apps, health care workers apps, etc. A phone without apps used daily for years is essentially a feature phone to some.
    10-12-2015 12:55 PM
    The general public in the US
    There is a world outside USA. Other places, other societies, other usage patterns. Take Europe for example. In countries like Germany, France and Great Britain, Windows phone have gained massive numbers and now account for around 15% market share. Android has gone down by atleast 8% in most of the European countries. Why do you think is this happening if there was such a big APP GAP as you claim?
    10-12-2015 01:03 PM
    for 512 MB RAM devices. Samsung Galaxy Duos is a device with 768 MB RAM and you cannot install more than 5 apps if you want to run it smoothly. If Lumia 720 with 512 MB can manage 30 LIVE tiles and occasionally gives resuming message, which is better dude?
    Let's compare high end phones...
    Oh...still
    Resuming...
    10-12-2015 01:11 PM
    There is a world outside USA. Other places, other societies, other usage patterns. Take Europe for example. In countries like Germany, France and Great Britain, Windows phone have gained massive numbers and now account for around 15% market share. Android has gone down by atleast 8% in most of the European countries. Why do you think is this happening if there was such a big APP GAP as you claim?
    If you deny that the app gap exists, it's hard to have a serious conversation.
    The US is the world's largest single app market, and it matters what is available here. Have you been here? Do you live here? If not, I can understand why you don't see how there is an app gap.
    920Walker likes this.
    10-12-2015 01:14 PM
    The general public in the US want their banking apps, home automation apps, social apps, shopping apps, education apps, health care workers apps, etc.
    I will give you an overview for app situation in India.
    Banking - HDFC, ICICI, SBI all have Windows apps

Home automation - [although we don't use it] Easydome Nexthome, INSTEON, Verisure, AT & T digital life home security are some of home automation apps on windows phone and pc.

Shopping apps - Flipkart, amazon, snapdeal, ebay all have their apps for windows phones.

Railways app - IRCTC [first arrived on Windows phone]

Communication - Reliance, Airtel, Vodafone all have their apps on Windows phone
    10-12-2015 01:15 PM
    The US is the world's largest single app market
    Oh come on....
    10-12-2015 01:18 PM
    Not in US...but still I do not see any of my local apps in the store.
    10-12-2015 01:19 PM
    Yes, in countries where WP has a larger market share they may also have more apps. Most banks here have apps, even local ones, but not for WP. That is one example. The same is true for most other app types. I don't like it, but it's reality today, hopefully not the future.

Edit: I mention the US because I live here and the story from friends and on tech sites hasn't changed. I won't speak for other countries as I'm aware the situation is different.
    10-12-2015 01:21 PM
    If you deny that the app gap exists, it's hard to have a serious conversation.
    I agree that there is a gap in terms on numbers or may be some recently launched chatting app in your country[which will eventually come to Windows phones like many others], but I find all the apps for my day to day usage on Windows and my friends on Android also use the same apps that I use and so I don't think that the difference in numbers of apps affect me that much.
    10-12-2015 01:21 PM
    I will give you an overview for app situation in India.
    Banking - HDFC, ICICI, SBI all have Windows apps

Home automation - [although we don't use it] Easydome Nexthome, INSTEON, Verisure, AT & T digital life home security are some of home automation apps on windows phone and pc.

Shopping apps - Flipkart, amazon, snapdeal, ebay all have their apps for windows phones.

Railways app - IRCTC [first arrived on Windows phone]

Communication - Reliance, Airtel, Vodafone all have their apps on Windows phone
    That's good to hear that the situation in India is perhaps better than here in the US. Unfortunately, that doesn't really help Windows Phone here.
    920Walker likes this.
    10-12-2015 01:27 PM
    I agree that there is a gap in terms on numbers or may be some recently launched chatting app in your country[which will eventually come to Windows phones like many others], but I find all the apps for my day to day usage on Windows and my friends on Android also use the same apps that I use and so I don't think that the difference in numbers of apps affect me that much.
    Your day to day usage. There are many industries where enterprise users need specific apps besides basic office apps on a portable, pocketable, device for daily job functions. Unfortunately, the vast majority are nonexistent on WP.
    10-12-2015 01:29 PM
    Unfortunately, the vast majority are nonexistent on WP.
    Give me names....
    10-12-2015 01:30 PM
    the truth hurts...I know.
    Okay, keyboard warrior.

P.S: In case you never have, try picking up a Lumia flagship. Sure, we have an app gap, and developers need to start showing interest in WP, but the comparison on OS performance doesn't even come in. Whatever is been in my experience of Windows Phone (that is since the x10 series), is flawless performance. Even a two y/o 620 with atleast twenty-thirty different apps installed on it runs with minimal amount of loading screens. Where on the other hand I have friends who have, and fear overloading their Nexus and Galaxy flagships with too much of apps, fearing a lag.

The new preview builds are, of course unfinished. I would not defend them. But I see them improving with each build with fewer loading screens compared to the previous builds.

Moreover, techno sites are not exactly biased against the Lumia flagships. Yet. None of them have done any real review of these phones. These things happen only when they get them in hand. Moreover the Surface lineup has stolen most of the show. They're spectacular.
    Last edited by Satyendra Nair; 10-12-2015 at 01:46 PM.
    anon(7929613) likes this.
    10-12-2015 01:36 PM
    Give me names....
    I won't waste my time.
    10-12-2015 01:40 PM
    I won't waste my time.
    You should not waste your time writing false statements! You see, time is precious...:)
    920Walker and Joshwin like this.
    10-12-2015 01:44 PM
    @Satyendra Nair

LOL....just because I stated the truth I am a keyboard warrior?

I own Lumia 1520, Galaxy S6 and Iphone 6s.

To say WP/W10M have no lag, please explain 'resuming...' and 'loading...'
    10-12-2015 01:49 PM
    Satish, you need to calm down. People here love Windows. They're just being realistic.
    10-12-2015 01:55 PM
    Android lags and you know it! People using Nexus have to make sure that they keep atleast 1 GB of RAM free for optimal performance. So they keep on checking task manager. Atleast you will agree that Windows speed is better than Android any day for the same specs. That's my point. Which people never highlight, they never give credit to Microsoft for transforming themselves from Vista to Windows 10. They never give credit to Nokia for improving their touch screen so much that you can touch it wearing gloves, or for making their display so wonderful(thanks to Clearblack tech) that a 480p Lumia screen shames a 720p Android device like Moto. Why are you people so scared of giving credits to products that deserve it? How will you feel if someone does that to you?
    Did you also know that my L1520, which I replaced, always developed bright spots/green spots on the display due to a faulty design, and would never register taps correctly?

Anyway to answer the original question, no I haven't really noticed any major tech sites being biased against the new Lumias. Sure you cited one example and there's that. But I've seen consistent, good coverage on many tech sites.
    920Walker likes this.
    10-12-2015 01:57 PM
72 123