Do you think that a number of techno blogs are biased against the new Lumia 950 and 950 XL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
If you deny that the app gap exists, it's hard to have a serious conversation.

I agree that there is a gap in terms on numbers or may be some recently launched chatting app in your country[which will eventually come to Windows phones like many others], but I find all the apps for my day to day usage on Windows and my friends on Android also use the same apps that I use and so I don't think that the difference in numbers of apps affect me that much.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I will give you an overview for app situation in India.
Banking - HDFC, ICICI, SBI all have Windows apps

Home automation - [although we don't use it] Easydome Nexthome, INSTEON, Verisure, AT & T digital life home security are some of home automation apps on windows phone and pc.

Shopping apps - Flipkart, amazon, snapdeal, ebay all have their apps for windows phones.

Railways app - IRCTC [first arrived on Windows phone]

Communication - Reliance, Airtel, Vodafone all have their apps on Windows phone

That's good to hear that the situation in India is perhaps better than here in the US. Unfortunately, that doesn't really help Windows Phone here.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I agree that there is a gap in terms on numbers or may be some recently launched chatting app in your country[which will eventually come to Windows phones like many others], but I find all the apps for my day to day usage on Windows and my friends on Android also use the same apps that I use and so I don't think that the difference in numbers of apps affect me that much.

Your day to day usage. There are many industries where enterprise users need specific apps besides basic office apps on a portable, pocketable, device for daily job functions. Unfortunately, the vast majority are nonexistent on WP.

Satyendra Nair

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
the truth hurts...I know.

Okay, keyboard warrior.

P.S: In case you never have, try picking up a Lumia flagship. Sure, we have an app gap, and developers need to start showing interest in WP, but the comparison on OS performance doesn't even come in. Whatever is been in my experience of Windows Phone (that is since the x10 series), is flawless performance. Even a two y/o 620 with atleast twenty-thirty different apps installed on it runs with minimal amount of loading screens. Where on the other hand I have friends who have, and fear overloading their Nexus and Galaxy flagships with too much of apps, fearing a lag.

The new preview builds are, of course unfinished. I would not defend them. But I see them improving with each build with fewer loading screens compared to the previous builds.

Moreover, techno sites are not exactly biased against the Lumia flagships. Yet. None of them have done any real review of these phones. These things happen only when they get them in hand. Moreover the Surface lineup has stolen most of the show. They're spectacular.

Last edited:

kokola

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
@Satyendra Nair

LOL....just because I stated the truth I am a keyboard warrior?

I own Lumia 1520, Galaxy S6 and Iphone 6s.

To say WP/W10M have no lag, please explain 'resuming...' and 'loading...'

junglescope

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
Android lags and you know it! People using Nexus have to make sure that they keep atleast 1 GB of RAM free for optimal performance. So they keep on checking task manager. Atleast you will agree that Windows speed is better than Android any day for the same specs. That's my point. Which people never highlight, they never give credit to Microsoft for transforming themselves from Vista to Windows 10. They never give credit to Nokia for improving their touch screen so much that you can touch it wearing gloves, or for making their display so wonderful(thanks to Clearblack tech) that a 480p Lumia screen shames a 720p Android device like Moto. Why are you people so scared of giving credits to products that deserve it? How will you feel if someone does that to you?

Did you also know that my L1520, which I replaced, always developed bright spots/green spots on the display due to a faulty design, and would never register taps correctly?

Anyway to answer the original question, no I haven't really noticed any major tech sites being biased against the new Lumias. Sure you cited one example and there's that. But I've seen consistent, good coverage on many tech sites.

Satyendra Nair

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
LOL....just because I stated the truth I am a keyboard warrior?

I own Lumia 1520, Galaxy S6 and Iphone 6s.

To say WP/W10M have no lag, please explain 'resuming...' and 'loading...'
Cool story, bro.

I do not have to explain things to you.

The loading screens exist. The resuming screens do, too. As far as my experience with WP is concerned, they were reduced to a bare minimum. But each OS has such a performance lag at some point or another in handling its processes.

Drop it there. :)

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Did you also know that my L1520, which I replaced, always developed bright spots/green spots on the display due to a faulty design, and would never register taps correctly?

Anyway to answer the original question, no I haven't really noticed any major tech sites being biased against the new Lumias. Sure you cited one example and there's that. But I've seen consistent, good coverage on many tech sites.

What's your point. You may have received a faulty device. You cannot generalise this.

Satyendra Nair

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I don't think so. These people out here fail to acknowledge anything good I said about Windows - camera, display, speed, performance which is in fact true. How can they love Windows?

Stating the the good things doesn't make the bad things right, does it, Satish? As a platform, W10M has to still develop.

junglescope

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
I don't think so. These people out here fail to acknowledge anything good I said about Windows - camera, display, speed, performance which is in fact true. How can they love Windows?

Because other phones have good cameras, displays, and performance also. Plus, they have a huge ecosystem of apps that Windows simply lacks. Not to mention they enjoy broad carrier support and many of them don't come with a slew of hardware problems. When Nokia releases two flagships, and one of them, the 1520, has multiple defects, that just isn't going to cut it.

Windows Phone has been muddling about for 5 years now with no real progress. Focusing on the already-good things won't change that.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

The only negatives I've seen in this thread are apps, load / resume and hardware problems, all common issues. No one here is claiming the devices as inferior, they're just being critical of the facts. Devices and their support wouldn't improve if users weren't critical.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
How about the screen becoming yellowish on the Lumia 920 and 1020? Dust entering the front camera [L920] through the microphone grilles?
Never heard of any such issues. Where ever reviews I saw, L1520 got a thumbs up for its hardware. the only thrashing it got was because of it's software. At least this is my experience.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
In spite of being the best in every respect - camera, battery, processing power and display, I wonder as why are most of the techno blogs writing off the new Lumia 950 and 950 XL. The people who use Windows phones, people like us, know that there is no app gap. Then why is this cited as the reason again and again?
I think that a negative propaganda is floated on the web against Windows phones and we need to FIGHT this. What do you people think?

I think the people at Windows Central are more biased than these blogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb