Do you think that a number of techno blogs are biased against the new Lumia 950 and 950 XL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The only negatives I've seen in this thread are apps, load / resume and hardware problems, all common issues. No one here is claiming the devices as inferior, they're just being critical of the facts. Devices and their support wouldn't improve if users weren't critical.

You are not critical bro. You say that camera of Lumia devices are not good. May be it is not of DSLR quality but it is atleast better than most of the copy cats out there. Most of the reviews accept this. And you say otherwise and then say that you are "critical"? You are turning a strength to weakness. The only thing that will benefit from this is your ego.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You are not critical bro. You say that camera of Lumia devices are not good. May be it is not of DSLR quality but it is atleast better than most of the copy cats out there. Most of the reviews accept this. And you say otherwise and then say that you are "critical"? You are turning a strength to weakness. The only thing that will benefit from this is your ego.

I never said such a thing in this thread or others. Search my forum posts. There is nothing I've praised more and called world class than Lumia cameras with Pureview, OIS and Zeiss optics. Not reading the rest of the post. Done here.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
The press I have read has been fairly positive about the new Lumia phones. I do take issue with disparaging comments regarding the polycarbonate backs. Unlike the iPhone and new Samsung phones, the back allows for a removable battery and microSD card. The back is also replaceable with more "premium" options like leather and metal, which were on display but no one seems to mention, or just replaced in case of damage. I consider the removable polycarbonate backs a practical feature that is consistent with Microsoft's focus on performance and productivity. I also consider concerns of limited app selection legitimate, I left Windows Phone due to poor app availability and app support, but that isn't preventing me from ordering a 950 XL.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I think that tech sites are pretty much stuck in the mindset that WP devices are decent, but we always lose points for ecosystem, which is deserved. I read some really encouraging things following the launch. They smashed it in terms of presentation, but they were always up against it with the phones. I really hope MS considers sending out a spare cover with each review unit, if only to reduce the desire for them to dis the plastic. Bezelwise, I think they are decent, camerwisr well, I have hopes. Rear speaker is an odd one, and I doubt the Surface team would have done that. MS has a bigger worry, and that is the state of the os. The tech sites will not give much ground, and MS needs to double down to ensure there is a decent os for them to appraise. Us here, we can allow it little roughness, but a reviewer won't, and shouldn't. In terms of app gap, the quantity is a red herring. The major issue are the 50 apps that matter. Banking, Snapchat, decent Instagram, Facebook, Tinder, whatsapp, carrier apps, companion apps, hell, even the WC app needs work. Personally, I'm not missing much, but I am not typical of the majority of users. I have no FB account, Twitter account ect. In the UK, my bank has a stunning app. My eBay app is good. Rightmove is gorgeous. But, I suspect that almost none of the reviewers had such minimal app needs.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
As an ecosystem it is important that India, Brazil, Russia and China like WP, they are the big potential markets. Europe seems to like it too.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Why do people from India seem so obsessed with Microsoft?

I think because Nokia was a popular brand there and in Asia in general (as it was in Europe), and there were Nokia/Microsoft factories there.

The fact that Nokia virtually disappeared from the US when smartphones entered the marketplace really hurt them more here than elsewhere, where they had a reasonable share of the smartphone market.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
The general public in the US want their banking apps, home automation apps, social apps, shopping apps, education apps, health care workers apps, etc. A phone without apps used daily for years is essentially a feature phone to some.

You sir are a genius. That's the problem. When my bank doesn't have an Windows Phone app then I don't really care if it has Words with Friends.

And the health care app gap is deadly. The number of doctors, nurses, pharmacists, home health works, etc out there is enormous. And the disposable income of those first three groups is enormous. If I was a device maker I would target all doctors and nurses. That's where the money is. If MSFT was smart they would be hooking up with medical schools and medical app makers and handing out free high quality Windows Phones.

It's a proven fact that the Lumias have the best cameras of the lot.

Perhaps not for video.

But who knows? Since Panos just mumbled the 950 XL "shoots 4k" during his presentation and didn't bother to show or discuss video I guess we can't reach any conclusions.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
You sir are a genius. That's the problem. When my bank doesn't have an Windows Phone app then I don't really care if it has Words with Friends.

And the health care app gap is deadly. The number of doctors, nurses, pharmacists, home health works, etc out there is enormous. And the disposable income of those first three groups is enormous. If I was a device maker I would target all doctors and nurses. That's where the money is. If MSFT was smart they would be hooking up with medical schools and medical app makers and handing out free high quality Windows Phones.

I don't know if anyone outside the US can really appreciate the impact that apps have had in these fields and how much the lack of them for Windows Phone hurts Microsoft.

Same with apps for retail (replacing coupons). I think it's a different culture here for those things.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if anyone outside the US can really appreciate the impact that apps have had in these fields and how much the lack of them for Windows Phone hurts Microsoft.

Same with apps for retail (replacing coupons). I think it's a different culture here for those things.

Yeah. I never watched a product launch until the 950 XL. And what you mention is why I've been so hard on MSFT. People have to understand phones are getting commoditized. And if they are all a commodity why not get the one that has all the apps?

I got a 1520 because...

1) Apple didn't have a 6" phone. Now MSFT has killed 6" phones. So no differentiation on that front and in fact we don't even know if at&t will be selling the 950 XL on contract.
2) It had arguable the best photo and video. I liked the manual controls that were absent on all other phones. I also liked the OIS that was absent on all other phones. I started a thread ranting about video because other phones have caught up as far as OIS and manual controls. If MSFT doesn't say ahead then that is another reason to own the phone eliminated.
3) Live Tiles. I haven't tried out Windows 10 so for me Live Tiles is still a plus.

I remember when I got my Lumia 900. It had LTE. Apple didn't. That was huge. My girlfriends phone was useless for surfing the web. I watched Netflix on my Windows Phone... on a train with no wifi.

I like the 950 XL because...
1) Continuum. I know a lot on here think it is useless but it is a differentiater and makes me feel justified in my Windows Phone purchase.
2) Wireless charging. Apple doesn't have this built in.
3) expandable storage. Apple doesn't have this.

The problem with the app gap is MSFT has to keep us coming back with other things but if they fall into the trap of merely putting out Samsung clones then they are going to be in a tough spot.

Long term they have to get the apps. I don't know how long they can keep pulling rabbits out of a hat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs