Do you think that a number of techno blogs are biased against the new Lumia 950 and 950 XL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
In spite of being the best in every respect - camera, battery, processing power and display, I wonder as why are most of the techno blogs writing off the new Lumia 950 and 950 XL. The people who use Windows phones, people like us, know that there is no app gap. Then why is this cited as the reason again and again?
I think that a negative propaganda is floated on the web against Windows phones and we need to FIGHT this. What do you people think?

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I have to be honest, now the high quality custom covers are confirmed, and look superb, I think the phones are great. Decent specs and I can't wait to get one. Be interesting to see how it pans out.

ArtificiallyYours

Jul 12, 2015
Visit site
Of course, children who never heard of Blackberry are hired to voice their opinions on how Smartphones were defined. When HP was taken over by a brain dead politician (who killed WebOS as a phone platform), it fueled more and more ignorance from the paid hipster media that a Duopoly (Android/iOS) is the only feasible expansion.

Last edited:

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
One of them who gets "bored at work" says that Lumia 950 sports a two year old design and then goes on to praise the Moto x which is so thick that it resembles a brick and looks so out of time.

wplee

Aug 30, 2014
Visit site
I wonder as why are most of the techno blogs writing off the new Lumia 950 and 950 XL?

Most actually haven't. You've only listed one. That link was not even a Tech site link, they just do some Tech news like clowns. Fortune magazine titled the new Lumias a "big deal" even though they also aren't a tech site as such either. Non of the major sites have done a review yet, but for example Tech focused Stuff magazine in the UK are stoked about it and theWeek site titled their preview "Time to Switch to Lumia".

Sure, TheVerge did a negative story before the event about how the new Lumias won't sell but even that was a positive message in their reasoning and since they've been super pro Microsoft with dozens of stories praising the all the new devices. I think the phones are gonna get a 80+ score from them. Engadget, Gizmodo, Techradar etc are the tech sites that matter when selling a Flagship so lets wait for the reviews.

I will say the App gap is still a problem though. Not for the number of Apps but there are super popular Apps like Snapchat, Game of War and Clash of Clans still missing. Sure their alternatives but if someone is considering leaving iOS/Android then this is something to consider which is fair enough. A 23 year old who may live in these Apps sure would miss them. But hopefully this new Universal W10 store and the speed W10 is growing should finally bring those devs over to our platform.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I think apps like Bookviser Reader, disqus, myTube, wpTorrent, easy transfer, fresh paint, halo Spartan and mush are exclusive to Windows phone and not there in Android. Others like one note and Office lens are rolling out to Android just now because Microsoft felt otherwise.

Last edited:

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Part of it is your assumptions that aren't proven out. For example, the Snapdragons in those devices are the same that the other non-Samsung flagships carry (such as the new Nexus devices). The Samsung stuff carries the Exynos stuff that Samsung makes, and it's supposedly superior to Qualcomm's chips. The same goes for Apple, where the chip is supposed to be really efficient and powerful, partially because Apple has a nice hardware-software stranglehold that lets them control every aspect of it all. Plus, we're REALLY close to the Snapdragon 820 series, so calling these the best in processing power is extremely tenuous, because if the A9 and Exynos chips are faster, then in a couple of months, these might actually be the WORST modern flagships, from a processing power angle, as many will have the 820 coming.

The camera's great, in theory, though we've seen them under-deliver and need a lot of software tweaks in the past. They're MAYBE the best of the major players, but we'll have to see. Calling them the best before there's any third-party testing isn't useful. The same goes for the display, especially when the 950 goes with GG3, not GG4 (not sure that even matters). Resolution isn't everything, but Glance functionality (more a software matter than a hardware one) DOES give the displays a functional leg-up on the competition.

"The people who use Windows phones, people like us, know that there is no app gap. Then why is this cited as the reason again and again?"

The answer is simple: BECAUSE YOU'RE WRONG. If you don't think there is an app gap, then you don't use apps, that's the reality of it. I'm someone whose app use is rather limited, so it doesn't hurt me, but that doesn't disprove reality for others. There is no Snapchat. There is no Trillian (admittedly, the one app I feel needs added). Gaming companion apps don't always show up (Watch Dogs, for example). There are no official Google services. Instagram is still in beta form. The "official" Facebook app was Microsoft-made because Facebook itself wouldn't bother. I don't think we have apps for NHL Center Ice OR NBA Game Time (streaming live games).

In conjunction with the flat-out missing apps, many apps are of lower quality and/or don't get updated. Comcast's Xfinity remote is a turd. IMDb hasn't been updated in, like, 2.5 years (though it's functionally fine). Even Microsoft's own apps haven't gotten the same amount of love on WP8.1 as the Android and iOS offerings, though we just have to hope that's because they know the OS is a dead end and will fix this issue for W10M.

End of the day, the slant isn't purely anti-Microsoft. The OS has little marketshare, and apps are still a big problem. These things won't sell well, this site basically pushes that same notion out there, and it's the most pro-Microsoft site we've got. These are going to give the OS numbers a bit of a boost, but even 5% would probably be a miracle, since W10M is launching without the European-friendly Nokia brand behind it (which I think is a big part of why you saw high Euro adoption rates; those people now have little reason to stay loyal to the hardware).

That all wraps up to a big I DON'T CARE. I'm getting a 950 or 950 XL (hopefully XL, but not sure yet). I wont' be begging for apps because I don't really need them. I like the OS, I like the hardware, and I'm good to go. I'm not going to worry what the media (which is biased towards a million stupid things, honestly) says about my phone, and I'm not going to worry about what my peers have in their pockets when I'm getting something for me.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Quite simply the biggest waste of electric ever! What a pair of fools! I read a lot of tech stuff, and that is about the biggest waste of a web page I have seen. They spent all that time discussing Twitter..... Give me strength.

Journalists love Twitter. I don't know any real person that uses Twitter as obsessively as journalists seem to do. Like is mentioned in the article, most people go on Twitter and conclude "this is lame"and never return. I use it a few times a year, at most. But every stupid idiotic "scandal" these days seem to originate there because journalists and celebrities love to behave like 13 year old school girls and gossip and stab each other in the back. No wonder they like to write more about Twitter than about Microsoft.

Last edited:

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Plus, we're REALLY close to the Snapdragon 820 series, so calling these the best in processing power is extremely tenuous, because if the A9 and Exynos chips are faster, then in a couple of months, these might actually be the WORST modern flagships, from a processing power angle, as many will have the 820 coming.

But there will ALWAYS be a new chip coming in a few months. Manufacturers (Huawei and Microsoft in this case) have to go with what is available, otherwise they will always be waiting. People said the same about the 801(?) in the Lumia Icon, and it still holds up pretty well to the competition almost 2 years later. For all the points one can make about whether a phone is up to the competition or not, I don't think "they should've waited" is a particularly good one. They would always be waiting.

ejlee072006

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
APPLE IS USA
there's nothing MSFT CAN DO! MSFT pissed of a lot of people when it abandoned WINDOWS MOBILE, a lot of this tech,geeks didn't appreciated what MSFT did, especially when MSFT launches the WINDOWS PHONE 7 ooohhh they got so mad, so they started jumping to android, android in 2010 was a re skin Windows mobile.

VAPE ON

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
If you don't think there is an app gap, then you don't use apps, that's the reality of it.
Here is the list of some of the AWESOME apps that I use on my Lumia 720- Advanced English Dictionary, Bookviser Reader(awesome 3D reading experience), Disqus, Easy Transfer(WiFi transfer), Engadgets(love it's live tiles), Gaana, Headline Tile(to group my tiles as in PC), Health & Fitness(to track my running), HERE city lens, HERE Drive+ (use on a daily basis), HERE maps, Internet Download Manager, Magnify News reader (awesome 3D interface & live tiles for my feeds), myTube(puts official youtube app to shame), Office Lens(use it frequently), Oh Clock, OneNote, Pin Notes, Team Viewer(to help my mom), VLC, wpTorrent(download torrents directly on phone), Readiy, Saavn, musiXmatch.......

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Find an app on Android that is as good as Bookviser Reader on WIndows phone. It should offer 3D page flipping, it should be able to import any file format and it should be free.....

There are many great apps on WP. There are WAY more great apps on iOS and Android. Why would you even argue about this?

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The camera's great, in theory, though we've seen them under-deliver
Take a look at the photos in this link.
Nokia Lumia 1020 Sample Images | PhotographyBLOG
It's a proven fact that the Lumias have the best cameras of the lot. Most of the other manufacturers have copied the Nokia's technology but still cannot beat them. Atleast give them credit where they deserve.
ALSO JUST AS IT IS WRONG TO SAY THAT THE NEW LUMIAS ARE BETTER WITHOUT ACTUALLY SEEING IT, IT IS WRONG TO SAY THAT THEY ARE BAD WITHOUT ACTUALLY SEEING IT.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
But there will ALWAYS be a new chip coming in a few months. Manufacturers (Huawei and Microsoft in this case) have to go with what is available, otherwise they will always be waiting. People said the same about the 801(?) in the Lumia Icon, and it still holds up pretty well to the competition almost 2 years later. For all the points one can make about whether a phone is up to the competition or not, I don't think "they should've waited" is a particularly good one. They would always be waiting.

I never said they should wait. And no, something new isn't always right around the corner. Qualcomm chips are on a consistent, annual timeline. Microsoft's putting these devices out right at the end of the timeline. Remember that the ICON (which actually had an 800, not an 801) wasn't quite the same story. The replacement chips weren't a gigantic difference. They were all 28nm chips that mostly saw incremental changes. The 810-->820 is a die shrink (20nm to 14nm) with a new type of core (Kyro, no longer the big.LITTLE dual-CPU setup), and all of it should wrap up nicely into a meaningful upgrade in chip quality. Now, it's hard telling if we'll see a major performance difference between the two, partially because game devs will want to make sure the older chips run their apps, and I haven't examined the Kyro cores to see what they're going to do that improves upon the big.LITTLE setup on a power level (they might be able to severely underclock like Intel's stuff).

I don't think the real-world differences will matter to anyone, but I will say that the release schedule Microsoft is using (the fall one) isn't smart. They keep snatching up tech as it's getting replaced, and even if the real-world results aren't much, a customer can easily walk into a store, see that the competition has newer hardware (actually, it's a little tougher with Samsung's move to non-Qualcomm chips), and just buy the thing that's newer.

I'd love to see Microsoft launch the Surface Phone we keep hearing about in-line with the newest Galaxy and One devices, just to get its hardware rolling with the competition. They can take 18 months for a Lumia 960, that'd be fine by be, and have it carry the SD 830 (or whatever follows the 820), then just stick to a spring schedule with Android. Sadly, I don't think we'll be lucky enough to see the 820 in the spring for a possible 1050, but that'd be another nice surprise that could throw them into that release window with the Android OEMs.

anon(7929613)

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Why would you even argue about this?

Because here is my point. For any tasks say file transfer, you will have say 15 apps on Android and may be 3 to 4 apps on Windows. That may create an app gap in terms of number of apps but not in terms of requirements. But at the same time you should also look at other offerings. Windows is really swift and lag free when you compare it with Android. And that is a major turn off as far as I am concerned. Even people using Nexus are feeling this lag.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Because here is my point. For any tasks say file transfer, you will have say 15 apps on Android and may be 3 to 4 apps on Windows. That may create an app gap in terms of number of apps but not in terms of requirements. But at the same time you should also look at other offerings. Windows is really swift and lag free when you compare it with Android. And that is a major turn off as far as I am concerned. Even people using Nexus are feeling this lag.
Nobody cares about file transfer apps.

Maybe you're in India where there are possibly more WP apps, but here in the US there are so many popular apps that don't exist on WP or have way fewer features. Anyone in the US that denies the app gap is delusional.

When was the last time you used Android? The whole "Android lags so much more" hasn't been true for a couple of years IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss