Lumia 950 XL confirmed for at&t.

Lawrence Crecy

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Wait, you blame MS for YOU confining yourself to a carrier hamster wheel? LoL Keep that wheel spinning so you can get whatever treat they see fit to give you. Get off the wheel and you don't have to worry about those things.
Bro I'm not spending $600+ for an unlocked phone when I don't need an unlocked phone. The phone won't even be kept for more than 2-3 years so why not pay $200 on contract with my upgrade?..

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Bro I'm not spending $600+ for an unlocked phone when I don't need an unlocked phone. The phone won't even be kept for more than 2-3 years so why not pay $200 on contract with my upgrade?..

I hate to break it to you, but if you are paying $200 with a contracted plan you are still paying $600+ for a phone. Compare current uncoupled plan pricing to yours and factor in the device, it appears you might be surprised. Get that flagship a month after release from Amazon for $0.01 on contract then you are in better shape.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I hate to break it to you, but if you are paying $200 with a contracted plan you are still paying $600+ for a phone. Compare current uncoupled plan pricing to yours and factor in the device, it appears you might be surprised. Get that flagship a month after release from Amazon for $0.01 on contract then you are in better shape.

On average you're paying $20-30 a month extra for that on contact phone in my experience.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
On average you're paying $20-30 a month extra for that on contact phone in my experience.

That really depends on what plan you have. I have an unlimited plan on at&t and I used over 30 GB of data for a few months when I traveled a lot. No way an unlocked phone would be cheaper for me in that scenario.

I really wish people would stop posting this stuff as a universal truth. I have a friend on TMobile and they have all kinds of signal problems not just at home but on the road. They buy unlocked phones and tell me how great it is. Then they can't get a signal. Sorry I'm an adult with important stuff to do. I need my data and a signal. I realize people living in different areas with better coverage by other providers and different usage habits can save a bundle by buying unlocked. But that is not true for everyone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
That really depends on what plan you have. I have an unlimited plan on at&t and I used over 30 GB of data for a few months when I traveled a lot. No way an unlocked phone would be cheaper for me in that scenario.

I really wish people would stop posting this stuff as a universal truth. I have a friend on TMobile and they have all kinds of signal problems not just at home but on the road. They buy unlocked phones and tell me how great it is. Then they can't get a signal. Sorry I'm an adult with important stuff to do. I need my data and a signal. I realize people living in different areas with better coverage by other providers and different usage habits can save a bundle by buying unlocked. But that is not true for everyone.
It all depends upon the particular unlocked phone. My Moto X Pure Edition is unlocked and unbranded. I can use it on any US carrier.

Sent from my Moto X Pure Edition using Tapatalk

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
It all depends upon the particular unlocked phone. My Moto X Pure Edition is unlocked and unbranded. I can use it on any US carrier.

Yeah but if a carrier doesn't have good signal coverage in your area that won't do you any good. at&t coverage is good in the places where I am and TMobile has some issues. Based on posts on this forum there are some places in the midwest where at&t has issues and Verizon is king of the hill. It all depends on your local market and the places you travel.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah but if a carrier doesn't have good signal coverage in your area that won't do you any good. at&t coverage is good in the places where I am and TMobile has some issues. Based on posts on this forum there are some places in the midwest where at&t has issues and Verizon is king of the hill. It all depends on your local market and the places you travel.
That's true. If I were to travel extensively, I could easily swap the SIM.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site

I agree. Everyone has different usage scenarios, not to mention coverage varies a lot depending on where you live. And everyone has different priorities. Am I after the lowest price? The best service? A certain phone (although choosing a carrier because of device availability is only applicable to WP users)?

I have a Verizon plan with unlimited data. Yes, I know that it is one of the most expensive plans out there. Yes, I know that I could save lots of money by going with T-Mobile or Cricket.

I choose to keep my current plan anyway. Verizon has the best coverage where I live and work, although AT&T's service is more than acceptable (T-Mobile and Sprint are not). As indicated here, it is not always about saving every penny possible. I have excellent service everywhere I go, and I do not need to worry about my data usage. I virtually never turn on WiFi, simply because I don't need to. My mobile data speed is usually as good or better than any WiFi I have available anyway.

I would like to see the day where here in the US we have a different, more open, carrier system. But for now, this is what we have. We need to deal with it. As an aside, I find it interesting that almost everything in the US costs less than in Western Europe, and most first world nations for that matter. One of the few exceptions is cell phone service!

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site

I really wish people would stop posting this stuff as a universal truth... ...They buy unlocked phones and tell me how great it is... ...Sorry I'm an adult with important stuff to do... ...But that is not true for everyone.

I never said "unlocked phones", I was talking about of contact and I believe I did say I was talking about my own experience.

I too use AT&T and regardless of your plan, if you're not saving money with an off contact phone that you paid for in full then you're getting ripped off.

Allan Cantillo M

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
Slightly off topic: Went to my local AT&T store to check out the 649XL display model. I have to say that I really like the 5.7 screen size, which I believe is the same as the 950XL screen. The salesperson didn't try to discourage me from a Windows phone. She was very helpful and told me that I can keep my old number when I switch from Verizon.

The screen size of the 950 XL is the same of the 640 XL, but they managed to reduce the size of the phone. You can check that difference here:
Compare Mobile Phones Side by Side with Actual size
I really like this size as a previous owner of the 1520. Sometimes it felt huge... this doesn't seem to have that problem.

Last edited:

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site

I am on the next plan (😑I know I'm paying the full price) but my plan with taxes is WAY cheaper than contact. I pay $70.00 a month with 30 gigs. I don't care about forking over the money for the phone but not all of us can spew out 6-700 clams on a phone. I really hope ATT does have the 950XL, there's a deal they have going on now😇 Trade in your old phone and get a 300.00 credit towards the new one and if you add a tablet it's 200.00 towards it!!! That's $500.00 for the XL and I'll get my surface pro 3, the bill goes to 100.00 but I'll be happier than a 🐷in💩

EMINENT 1

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I am on the next plan (I know I'm paying the full price) but my plan with taxes is WAY cheaper than contact. I pay $70.00 a month with 30 gigs. I don't care about forking over the money for the phone but not all of us can spew out 6-700 clams on a phone. I really hope ATT does have the 950XL, there's a deal they have going on now Trade in your old phone and get a 300.00 credit towards the new one and if you add a tablet it's 200.00 towards it!!! That's $500.00 for the XL and I'll get my surface pro 3, the bill goes to 100.00 but I'll be happier than a in

ATT doesn't carry the SP3. Just the S3.

Dec 15, 2014
Visit site
Re: Lumia 950 XL confirmed for at&t.

Don't get why att is getting EVERYTHING they're no better than any other carrier as far as updates or support

I agree. But AT&T is a GSM carrier, and they fully back the Windows ecosystem. And now their network is good enough to use for most people. And since they bought DirecTV, that's a big win in my book to save some $$$$$

So there you go!

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Agreed, I was pretty much locked in on the 950 but I picked up a Lumia 640XL last week to use along with my Note 4 just to see if the Windows OS and apps will work for me (so far its working well even connecting to my hands free system in my 2015 Jeep GC) but the main reason I was thinking 950 trying to get a bit smaller size wise but seeing the 950XL is actually smaller then my 640XL & Note 4 I'm rethinking which one I'm going for.. Even though the Note 4 and 640XL are pretty close in size the 640XL feels smaller and lighter, strange I know.. But that said the 950XL is smaller and lighter then both so I'm rethinking which 950 I'm going for, I do enjoy the 5.7" screen and seeing the display will be MUCH better on the 950XL then the 640XL i'm leaning hard that way now... Only complaints i have for the 640XL is its a tad slow, resolutions is weak and speaker is disappointing all of which the 950XL will correct with the the premium processor, 3gb ram, 2560x1440/551ppi and I imagine the speaker will be top notch..

bpm1966

Sep 23, 2014
Visit site
I can't help but think that for what I would have to scrape up for a 950XL, I would be 2/3 of the way to the cheapest Surface 4.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys and dolls! I went to an ATT store and "inquired" about my upgrade. When they asked me what I was going to pick out, I asked about the XL the rep looked at me like I said a peewee human secret word. She said it's not available, but hold on let me ask when you can come in to pre order. When she came back she said come in towards the beginning of November and the 950 XL will be available for pre-order. I asked so the 950 XL will be available, she nodded yes and I danced out of that ATT store like Jack Nicholson in Anger Management 😂😂😂

editguy

Jun 12, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys and dolls! I went to an ATT store and "inquired" about my upgrade. When they asked me what I was going to pick out, I asked about the XL the rep looked at me like I said a peewee human secret word. She said it's not available, but hold on let me ask when you can come in to pre order. When she came back she said come in towards the beginning of November and the 950 XL will be available for pre-order. I asked so the 950 XL will be available, she nodded yes and I danced out of that ATT store like Jack Nicholson in Anger Management ������

Store reps know very little, so I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

Xingularity

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
Dont confuse contract with data plan. I am still on AT&A unlimited plan. Have been for almost a decade. But I have been "off contract" for the last 4 years. I can buy any unlocked phone or locked to AT&T phone and just swap the SIM card.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb