10-19-2015 11:12 AM
45 12
tools
    10-15-2015 07:01 PM
    I hope it's not because their demo units were dual sim
    10-15-2015 08:19 PM
    I just used a 950XL today at an MS store in SoCal.
    10-15-2015 08:23 PM
    I just used a 950XL today at an MS store in SoCal.
    Presumably this is something that's underway.
    10-15-2015 08:36 PM
    Perhaps they were prototypes, and production phones are about ready.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-15-2015 09:25 PM
    That's my guess as well. The prototypes apparently had their SIM slots disabled, ostensibly because they were not legally entitled to operate on licensed frequencies yet due to pending FCC certification. If the replacement units are the "real deal" and their delivery imminent, then that should, in turn, mean that the FCC certifcation should be forthcoming as well thus answering the questions re: Verizon very soon.
    libra89 and maevinj like this.
    10-15-2015 09:39 PM
    I refuse to buy one of these phones right now as in Australia the pricing is $1,099.00 for the 950 and $1,199.00 for the 950/XL . Maybe when the Australian dollar is up around 90 cents in the dollar I might buy it.
    10-16-2015 12:11 AM
    Handled one in the MS Store in Corte Madera, CA, at 5 pm Pacific Time today.

Ron
    10-16-2015 12:51 AM
    I refuse to buy one of these phones right now as in Australia the pricing is $1,099.00 for the 950 and $1,199.00 for the 950/XL . Maybe when the Australian dollar is up around 90 cents in the dollar I might buy it.
    Might be waiting a while for the dollar to pick up. There's been a discussion on Whirlpool about the price and when you take into account th conversion rate (thanks crappy dollar), tax (not included in the US price), and things like logistics to get the phones here (Oz), the price isn't too far off what they are asking here.
    Best off waiting for JB and HN to get them and see what they'll be asking for them. Fair chance they might be under RRP.

Hopefully the demo units being returned isn't a bad thing. Maybe another software update that they want to do in house rather than give MS store employees a chance to screw up.
    10-16-2015 05:52 AM
    Why would they not pull the 950? The only reason would be the 950xl has some serious heating issues that may have been frying internal parts. Anything is possible. Granted they are not apple and don't need to pre-manufacturer way ahead due to demand not being as insane
    10-16-2015 11:52 AM
    The only reason would be the 950xl has some serious heating issues that may have been frying internal parts.
    Yes, that is clearly the only reason!
    Nicholas Ek and DavidinCT like this.
    10-16-2015 12:11 PM
    I wondered if they didn't like the fact that people were starting to 'review' things like camera quality from phones without final build hardware/firmware. Also things like badges starting to come off the prototype cases etc. You want people reviewing production quality units.

I don't see it as being anything major... the one I played with was good enough to make me want one, and as a tease, having these demo units out there was a good thing.
    10-16-2015 01:01 PM
    Does anybody know if the West Edmonton Mall store still has the phones?
    10-16-2015 01:12 PM
    I wondered if they didn't like the fact that people were starting to 'review' things like camera quality from phones without final build hardware/firmware. Also things like badges starting to come off the prototype cases etc. You want people reviewing production quality units.

I don't see it as being anything major... the one I played with was good enough to make me want one, and as a tease, having these demo units out there was a good thing.
    Indeed. I didn't think I wanted such a big phone until I handled an XL..... Nice build quality, now I can't wait!
    10-16-2015 03:11 PM
    Does anybody know if the West Edmonton Mall store still has the phones?
    I'm gonna go way out on a limb and guess the people who work there know. Give them a call. And if they aren't open, anybody else could only tell you the status in the past.
    10-16-2015 03:15 PM
    I appreciate the post but please take time to read the story before posting. Then you'd have an idea of "what to make of it."
    10-16-2015 03:15 PM
    I'm gonna go way out on a limb and guess the people who work there know.
    These days I'm not so sure employees know more than forum members... :)
    10-16-2015 04:22 PM
    Interesting development. No idea what to make of it.

Lumia 950XL demo units pulled from Microsoft Stores, shipped back to corporate
    The devices are prototypes, not the finished product. They were loaners up until the actual phones were ready. MSFT is finalizing a few more goodies for us anxiously waiting.
    10-16-2015 04:33 PM
    The devices are prototypes, not the finished product. They were loaners up until the actual phones were ready. MSFT is finalizing a few more goodies for us anxiously waiting.
    Possibly the rumoured Surface Pen functionality hopefully.
    10-16-2015 05:06 PM
    I appreciate the post but please take time to read the story before posting. Then you'd have an idea of "what to make of it."
    I was inviting a discussion (which is, ostensibly, what these forums are for). So, the comment is really an offer of a point of discussion (the article) and an indirect invitation to participate by way of acknowledging my own uncertainty.

Thanks for taking the time to assume I hadn't read the article when, in fact, it was my reading of the article that brought me here to share it in the first place.

And now we have the update: It was simply a matter of prototypes being recalled in preparation for the retail versions: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Updat...roblem_id74794
    Last edited by imnotevenhererightnow; 10-16-2015 at 06:17 PM.
    jmajid likes this.
    10-16-2015 05:16 PM
    Might be waiting a while for the dollar to pick up. There's been a discussion on Whirlpool about the price and when you take into account th conversion rate (thanks crappy dollar), tax (not included in the US price), and things like logistics to get the phones here (Oz), the price isn't too far off what they are asking here.
    I haven't been following the Whirlpool discussion but if you look at the USD cost of the other devices they are selling, like the Surface Pro 4 and Surface Book, convert to AUD at about 71c and then add GST the prices are pretty much equivalent. BUT if you do the same with the 950 & 950XL then the AUD prices are $250-$300 more expensive than they 'should' be.
    Last edited by astondg; 10-16-2015 at 07:00 PM.
    10-16-2015 06:38 PM
    Didn't someone show it was running Windows Mobile 10 Dev Preview in the store ?

Is WM10 in RTM yet anyway ? I know we are going to a RC (release candidate) on the newest build but, I didn't think they hit RTM yet...Meaning it would of been a beta in the store...

Did it even pass the FCC yet ? IF not, they could be pulling for that...
    10-16-2015 08:47 PM
    Didn't someone show it was running Windows Mobile 10 Dev Preview in the store ?

Is WM10 in RTM yet anyway ? I know we are going to a RC (release candidate) on the newest build but, I didn't think they hit RTM yet...Meaning it would of been a beta in the store...

Did it even pass the FCC yet ? IF not, they could be pulling for that...
    The 950XL in the store was running the current Preview version, 10549. Which explains why it was so fast, that version is pretty fast and smooth even on my Lumia 635 (and as far as I can tell as fast as the 950XL on my Icon).

I imagine that the W10M it will run on release will also essentially be a preview version and that the "finished" version will come out a couple of months later, based on everything that's been written so far.
    Last edited by MikeSo; 10-17-2015 at 04:36 AM.
    DavidinCT likes this.
    10-16-2015 08:53 PM
    I imagine that the W10M it will run on release will also essentially be a preview version and that the "finished" version will come out a couple of months later, based on everything that's been written so far.
    I would bet closer to a RC or really refined RC on the final of these devices.... Then they were claiming that it will hit RTM soon. I bet thousands of phones are sitting in a LARGE room fully built just waiting for the software to be flashed on them....

Then off to AT&T users....Dam you Microsoft and Verizon....
    10-16-2015 08:58 PM
    I was inviting a discussion (which is, ostensibly, what these forums are for). So, the comment is really an offer of a point of discussion (the article) and an indirect invitation to participate by way of acknowledging my own uncertainty.

Thanks for taking the time to assume I hadn't read the article when, in fact, it was my reading of the article that brought me here to share it in the first place.

And now we have the update: It was simply a matter of prototypes being recalled in preparation for the retail versions: Updated: Lumia 950 XL demo units recalled from Microsoft stores due to hardware problem
    So you did read the article but chose to fain ignorance of the detail anyway? That is even worse. I knew what to make of it as soon as I read the first line of the second paragraph. To wit: "From conversations with Store staff, it appears that there’s an issue with the prototypes themselves, and not simply with the installed software." But you said, you don't know what to make of it. Which is what got my ire up. Not heavy just the same though. Carry on.
    Skamath likes this.
    10-16-2015 10:15 PM
45 12