AT&T Store

RobertD1974

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I was in an AT&T store and I mentioned that I am waiting to get a new Windows Phone. I plan on getting the Lumia 950 XL. The employee I was talking to was actually the manager of the store. He basically said "why would anyone want a Windows Phone?". I mentioned I was looking forward to Continuum. He never heard of it and he said no one would want to use that feature. I would think that a manager at a cell phone store would try to keep up with what features are on the new phones coming out.

I am leaving Verizon because of how poorly Windows Phone are being supported. I was hoping AT&T would be better.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The answer to his question is: I don't want to spend $700 on a phone (640 is available for $70) and I don't want the security issues of Android.

"I want a phone I can drop and not care and won't be hacked and all my details stolen."

Of course asking about a 950 kind of makes this not apply to you.... but as a general user, that might be a great answer.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
last year, when softcard FINALLY added support for windows phone, i went to my local AT&T store and when the rep asked why I wanted a secure sim, I told him softcard support..... he yelled across the stor to the manager "Softcard supports Windows Phone!"

She pulled out her 1020 to start installing the app!

so not all AT&T stores suck....but having uninformed personnel has always been an issue.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I was in an AT&T store and I mentioned that I am waiting to get a new Windows Phone. I plan on getting the Lumia 950 XL. The employee I was talking to was actually the manager of the store. He basically said "why would anyone want a Windows Phone?". I mentioned I was looking forward to Continuum. He never heard of it and he said no one would want to use that feature. I would think that a manager at a cell phone store would try to keep up with what features are on the new phones coming out.

I am leaving Verizon because of how poorly Windows Phone are being supported. I was hoping AT&T would be better.

ATT hasn't let me down in all the years I've been with them, at least when it comes to mobile. As mentioned above, depending on the store and technogeekness (patent pending on my word 😇) of the rep, they will be helpful and honest or a sleazy car salesman. Did the "manager" confirm the XL?!

Bjfcm

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site
He won't be a manager for long.. I apologize for your encounter with a very very very unqualified and unprofessional Public Servant. You are an intelligent person with Good Taste.( Windows is the best) ... Surely by now you are used to encountering ignorance??? ( Wink)

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site

Sounds pretty normal. Well it was probably a bit overly negative. My experience has been if you go in and ask for it they will sell it to you no problem. But I have never seen them actually do a sales job with Windows Phone. I think the app gap is the big problem. You don't want anyone coming back ten days later saying Windows Phone is missing this and that app. Frankly I think something like Continuum will be a good feature for Windows Phone. They really need to have it set up in store so people can use it. Of course that makes too much sense so they won't. Continuum won't be for everyone but it does have a wow factor that will snag some sales. Crazy the manager doesn't even know about it.

RobertD1974

May 20, 2013
Visit site
ATT hasn't let me down in all the years I've been with them, at least when it comes to mobile. As mentioned above, depending on the store and technogeekness (patent pending on my word ��) of the rep, they will be helpful and honest or a sleazy car salesman. Did the "manager" confirm the XL?!

I did not specifically ask about the XL.

Xingularity

Oct 7, 2015
Visit site
For us this is a passion. For most if them it us just a paycheck and they put as lttle effort into it as possible.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

Wow, talk about clueless - a potential customer comes into your store, what better to say: "why would anyone want to buy a phone from me?" Which is basically what he's saying since you said what you wanted to buy. All AT&Ts are not like that, although they are not at all immune to the lack of knowledge that all carriers seem to possess of Windows phones.

I got on Windows Phone back in WP7 days thanks to AT&T employees pointing us to it - although, we didn't give them much choice. Our criteria was a smartphone that wasn't Android and wasn't Apple.

But this behavior from a manager is unacceptable, and if you have multiple stores in town, I'd take my business to a different one, or order from Microsoft Store website.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Was this a corporate store? I won't set foot in the reseller stores that appear the same, AT&T only sales, based on a few phone calls asking for WP support when traveling. Corporate stores have always been helpful. When I got my 920 half the staff that day were using brand new 8Xs. Since then the MS store opened in the same mall so I play with the new models there. I am curious how many staff at the local AT&T store still use WP.

M L

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same experience, both in ATT and Verizon stores when looking to see an Icon. Don't bother trying to reason or convince them, they don't want to learn about anything new, they're fanboys who will only use what's "popular" and what their girlfriends are using.
I've switched to Net10 and have had no issues at all, works as good as when I was on ATT and less than $40/month. If you own your phone off contract check them out, or MetroPCS, or Straight Talk.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I think the term "******" is too much of a stretch here for retail employees. They are paid to sell what AT&T wants them to sell, what they are incentivized to sell, and what they know and are familiar with. I know people that will only speak about iPhones and absolutely hate anything that is not made by Apple. I also know people that are brand snobs for Samsung and refuse to acknowledge Motorola has ever made a handset with Android on it. The love/hate of Windows Phone far exceeds the trolling on the internet. People have to decide if they want to make money or support a platform. Doesn't make it right or wrong, fair or unfair. It's the nature of the beast. If Microsoft gave out Xbox One's to stores that sold the most Windows Phone devices or did promos with store employees to win advance copies of Forza, etc - you might get more of a push for Microsoft. As it stands, there are more benefits for selling Droid or iPhone.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
I went into an AT&T store the other day and this young girl who seemed to be the only one working there comes up to me and asks me if i need help. I asked her about the new windows phones (950s) when they would be available, if i could preorder, etc and she had no idea what i was talking about. She seemed to not even understand what a windows phone was. So i asked her if AT&T would offer any help getting out of a Verizon contract to come over. Again she said something to the effect of "i dont think we do that, i dont know sorry". Zero help. Might as well have had a monkey working in that store and it would have been the same experience. So i wasnt rude at all, i just left.

Then i went to another AT&T store across town. A nice guy helped me and said "yeah those new windows phones sound like they are going to be awesome" Although he did say they were getting the 950 and 650 but i didnt correct him, he was trying. So he printed out contract options and prepaid options for me to take home and said he would set everything up...gave me his card and everything i would need to port the numbers over. So i will be going back there. It's just like with anything Verizon, AT&T, walmart, home depot, whatever, your experience will differ greatly from store to store with the same company and you have to just look at it like these are people...some are nice, some are not, some are helpful, some are not.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
We should get his name and alert AT&T. It is uncalled for.

It's a she. From the post above yours:

I went into an AT&T store the other day and this young girl who seemed to be the only one working there comes up to me and asks me if i need help. I asked her about the new windows phones (950s) when they would be available, if i could preorder, etc and she had no idea what i was talking about. She seemed to not even understand what a windows phone was. So i asked her if AT&T would offer any help getting out of a Verizon contract to come over. Again she said something to the effect of "i dont think we do that, i dont know sorry". Zero help. Might as well have had a monkey working in that store and it would have been the same experience.

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
The price of the phone? Well they are listed at 549 and 649 from MS so i am buying them out right when they come out...The 950 and 950 XL that is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb