10-22-2015 01:56 PM
28 12
tools
    I was in an AT&T store and I mentioned that I am waiting to get a new Windows Phone. I plan on getting the Lumia 950 XL. The employee I was talking to was actually the manager of the store. He basically said "why would anyone want a Windows Phone?". I mentioned I was looking forward to Continuum. He never heard of it and he said no one would want to use that feature. I would think that a manager at a cell phone store would try to keep up with what features are on the new phones coming out.

I am leaving Verizon because of how poorly Windows Phone are being supported. I was hoping AT&T would be better.
    rollindice likes this.
    10-19-2015 03:14 PM
    The answer to his question is: I don't want to spend $700 on a phone (640 is available for $70) and I don't want the security issues of Android.

"I want a phone I can drop and not care and won't be hacked and all my details stolen."

Of course asking about a 950 kind of makes this not apply to you.... but as a general user, that might be a great answer.
    JohnStrk likes this.
    10-19-2015 04:35 PM
    last year, when softcard FINALLY added support for windows phone, i went to my local AT&T store and when the rep asked why I wanted a secure sim, I told him softcard support..... he yelled across the stor to the manager "Softcard supports Windows Phone!"

She pulled out her 1020 to start installing the app!

so not all AT&T stores suck....but having uninformed personnel has always been an issue.
    10-19-2015 05:09 PM
    I thought they stopped support WP?
    10-19-2015 05:16 PM
    I was in an AT&T store and I mentioned that I am waiting to get a new Windows Phone. I plan on getting the Lumia 950 XL. The employee I was talking to was actually the manager of the store. He basically said "why would anyone want a Windows Phone?". I mentioned I was looking forward to Continuum. He never heard of it and he said no one would want to use that feature. I would think that a manager at a cell phone store would try to keep up with what features are on the new phones coming out.

I am leaving Verizon because of how poorly Windows Phone are being supported. I was hoping AT&T would be better.
    ATT hasn't let me down in all the years I've been with them, at least when it comes to mobile. As mentioned above, depending on the store and technogeekness (patent pending on my word 😇) of the rep, they will be helpful and honest or a sleazy car salesman. Did the "manager" confirm the XL?!
    Laura Knotek and aximtreo like this.
    10-19-2015 05:31 PM
    He won't be a manager for long.. I apologize for your encounter with a very very very unqualified and unprofessional Public Servant. You are an intelligent person with Good Taste.( Windows is the best) ... Surely by now you are used to encountering ignorance??? ( Wink)
    Jazmac likes this.
    10-19-2015 05:34 PM
    I thought they stopped support WP?
    softcard did... this was when it 1st became compatible.... 3 months before google bought them and killed it.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-19-2015 06:12 PM
    Sounds pretty normal. Well it was probably a bit overly negative. My experience has been if you go in and ask for it they will sell it to you no problem. But I have never seen them actually do a sales job with Windows Phone. I think the app gap is the big problem. You don't want anyone coming back ten days later saying Windows Phone is missing this and that app. Frankly I think something like Continuum will be a good feature for Windows Phone. They really need to have it set up in store so people can use it. Of course that makes too much sense so they won't. Continuum won't be for everyone but it does have a wow factor that will snag some sales. Crazy the manager doesn't even know about it.
    10-19-2015 06:43 PM
    ATT hasn't let me down in all the years I've been with them, at least when it comes to mobile. As mentioned above, depending on the store and technogeekness (patent pending on my word ) of the rep, they will be helpful and honest or a sleazy car salesman. Did the "manager" confirm the XL?!
    I did not specifically ask about the XL.
    10-19-2015 08:46 PM
    For us this is a passion. For most if them it us just a paycheck and they put as lttle effort into it as possible.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    10-20-2015 05:18 AM
    Your response should have been that you won't be buying the phone from there because of his condescension and general ignorance of his profession.
    10-20-2015 06:22 AM

Wow, talk about clueless - a potential customer comes into your store, what better to say: "why would anyone want to buy a phone from me?" Which is basically what he's saying since you said what you wanted to buy. All AT&Ts are not like that, although they are not at all immune to the lack of knowledge that all carriers seem to possess of Windows phones.

I got on Windows Phone back in WP7 days thanks to AT&T employees pointing us to it - although, we didn't give them much choice. Our criteria was a smartphone that wasn't Android and wasn't Apple.

But this behavior from a manager is unacceptable, and if you have multiple stores in town, I'd take my business to a different one, or order from Microsoft Store website.
    10-20-2015 10:30 AM
    Was this a corporate store? I won't set foot in the reseller stores that appear the same, AT&T only sales, based on a few phone calls asking for WP support when traveling. Corporate stores have always been helpful. When I got my 920 half the staff that day were using brand new 8Xs. Since then the MS store opened in the same mall so I play with the new models there. I am curious how many staff at the local AT&T store still use WP.
    Laura Knotek and JPDVM2014 like this.
    10-20-2015 10:41 AM
    I've had the same experience, both in ATT and Verizon stores when looking to see an Icon. Don't bother trying to reason or convince them, they don't want to learn about anything new, they're fanboys who will only use what's "popular" and what their girlfriends are using.
    I've switched to Net10 and have had no issues at all, works as good as when I was on ATT and less than $40/month. If you own your phone off contract check them out, or MetroPCS, or Straight Talk.
    10-20-2015 11:41 AM
    I think the term "fanboy" is too much of a stretch here for retail employees. They are paid to sell what AT&T wants them to sell, what they are incentivized to sell, and what they know and are familiar with. I know people that will only speak about iPhones and absolutely hate anything that is not made by Apple. I also know people that are brand snobs for Samsung and refuse to acknowledge Motorola has ever made a handset with Android on it. The love/hate of Windows Phone far exceeds the trolling on the internet. People have to decide if they want to make money or support a platform. Doesn't make it right or wrong, fair or unfair. It's the nature of the beast. If Microsoft gave out Xbox One's to stores that sold the most Windows Phone devices or did promos with store employees to win advance copies of Forza, etc - you might get more of a push for Microsoft. As it stands, there are more benefits for selling Droid or iPhone.
    Laura Knotek and rollindice like this.
    10-20-2015 12:19 PM
    I went into an AT&T store the other day and this young girl who seemed to be the only one working there comes up to me and asks me if i need help. I asked her about the new windows phones (950s) when they would be available, if i could preorder, etc and she had no idea what i was talking about. She seemed to not even understand what a windows phone was. So i asked her if AT&T would offer any help getting out of a Verizon contract to come over. Again she said something to the effect of "i dont think we do that, i dont know sorry". Zero help. Might as well have had a monkey working in that store and it would have been the same experience. So i wasnt rude at all, i just left.

Then i went to another AT&T store across town. A nice guy helped me and said "yeah those new windows phones sound like they are going to be awesome" Although he did say they were getting the 950 and 650 but i didnt correct him, he was trying. So he printed out contract options and prepaid options for me to take home and said he would set everything up...gave me his card and everything i would need to port the numbers over. So i will be going back there. It's just like with anything Verizon, AT&T, walmart, home depot, whatever, your experience will differ greatly from store to store with the same company and you have to just look at it like these are people...some are nice, some are not, some are helpful, some are not.
    libra89, rollindice and 920Walker like this.
    10-20-2015 03:34 PM
    We should get his name and alert AT&T. It is uncalled for.
    pankaj981 and rollindice like this.
    10-20-2015 03:44 PM
    he printed out contract options and prepaid options for me to take home and said he would set everything up.
    And what was the price of the phone?
    10-20-2015 04:01 PM
    We should get his name and alert AT&T. It is uncalled for.
    It's a she. From the post above yours:

I went into an AT&T store the other day and this young girl who seemed to be the only one working there comes up to me and asks me if i need help. I asked her about the new windows phones (950s) when they would be available, if i could preorder, etc and she had no idea what i was talking about. She seemed to not even understand what a windows phone was. So i asked her if AT&T would offer any help getting out of a Verizon contract to come over. Again she said something to the effect of "i dont think we do that, i dont know sorry". Zero help. Might as well have had a monkey working in that store and it would have been the same experience.
    10-20-2015 04:03 PM
    The price of the phone? Well they are listed at 549 and 649 from MS so i am buying them out right when they come out...The 950 and 950 XL that is.
    10-20-2015 05:11 PM
    XL has already been confirmed that it will be on on at&t.
    10-20-2015 05:32 PM
    The price of the phone? Well they are listed at 549 and 649 from MS so i am buying them out right when they come out...The 950 and 950 XL that is.
    We all know what MS sells the unlocked versions for. But what does AT&T sell their locked ones for? You said AT&T gave you all the particulars. Its common for a carrier to sell them for a little less as incentive to move to or stay with a carrier.
    10-20-2015 05:43 PM

Well, you'd think so right?

I was at a Game store a few days ago, (the chain is called "Game" lol) and a customer (a little kid) asked something about the free games you get with gold. The manager answer he doesn't know as his a PlayStation fan through and through.

The poor kid looked puzzled, when asked he wanted to know what the difference was between the xbox one and the 360. I told him the key difference was that you get to keep the games on the 360 and the x1 it's tied to your live account so you need a live sub to keep playing them. The funny thing is I could see the manager giving me looks, so I kept selling the x1 more and more i.e about the upcoming backwards compatibility, one guide, Game Streaming on windows and my setup with the x1 utilising the hdmi pass through with two hdmi switches.

After I finished the kid's dad placed a pre-order for the halo x1 bundle as he was listening as well, once they had left the manager took me aside and started telling me it's not my place to tell customers about products and that he'd bar me from the store for "insulting customers". So I called his bluff, that to go right ahead and all I had to was call head office, file a complaint and tell them to look at the CCTV footage. As if I was "insulting customers" then the kid and his father wouldn't have placed that pre-order or stood there asking me questions and listening for the past 20 minutes.

The long and short of it, most of management staff have no clue what their selling.

Call me old fashioned but I believe in order to sell a product, you need to know what it is you're selling.
    rollindice, Mach_E and 920Walker like this.
    10-20-2015 05:56 PM
    I went to a Microsoft store to look at the Lumia 950 XL and told the salesperson I had owned a Lumia 1520, so I was used to large phones. He asked what Lumia 1520 was. I said "Windows Phone... six-inch screen... you used to sell them..." He had no idea. To be fair I talked to another employee who seemed to know everything Microsoft.
    10-21-2015 10:19 AM
    Wow, I rarely had any problems with WP in the few AT&T stores I have been to in the LA area. What surprised me was the East LA, Monebello and Monterey Park stores were very knowlegable on WP over other stores in the area.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-22-2015 12:52 PM
28 12