Dropping the ball on the 950XL (950)

Status
Not open for further replies.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Really? Still no REAL preorders? No dates? What in all hell are they doing and whose idea was it to announce a device and have no game plan to release it? EVERY other device shown at the presentation has taken official preorders and given ship dates. If and when this phone misses its sale marks, this will be a major reason why. Microsoft doesnt fire enough people. So many mistakes and not enough head rolling after each one.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
take a deep breath and calm down....

Preorders are supposedly going live early November. Now a ship date would be great, but currently guesstimated to be mid to late november. All that matters for a preorder is the ability to do it before the product ships. Even if preorders open up a week before shipping, it's fine. Post companies won't charge you until the item is about to ship, so no money lost on your end, and nothing gained on their end.

wiederman

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
Yeah completely agree with this... preorders should begin especially since the phones are supposed to ship mid november... probably has a lot to do with the fact that the OS is still not completed

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Well I "preordered" at the store so just waiting now to pay for it and pick up.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

pjm1891

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
It's weird you guys haven't gotten a date yet, when many European countries have a release date and active pre-orders.

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's simple. They legally can't accept pre-orders or any kind of order for the devices until they have received final FCC approval.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
It's simple. They legally can't accept pre-orders or any kind of order for the devices until they have received final FCC approval.

Then why the hell didn't they seek it long before the keynote? Your telling me Apple has that all set each year in time for that, and this is news to Microsoft? Again...ball dropping and someone's *** needs to be fired.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Lots of strange things happen in govt, but it doesn't seem like pre-orders would be any concern of the FCC. That would more logically be some FTC regulation. I'm a little skeptical about it being illegal to take pre-orders on any product that isn't by its nature illegal, and maybe not even then. A company might be in trouble if the item didn't do what was promised when it finally arrived but there is zero reason to think that could happen.

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
For those that doubt, read the section on page 4 titled "Marketing Regulations" of this FCC bulletin.

BTW - This is almost certainly the reason the phones were pulled from the stores. They were marketing them and they cannot legally do that.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
For those that doubt, read the section on page 4 titled "Marketing Regulations" of this FCC bulletin.

BTW - This is almost certainly the reason the phones were pulled from the stores. They were marketing them and they cannot legally do that.

It looks like from that document, that importing is not allowed without the requisite FCC documentation...
So, this begs the question, how did they manage to provide Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 without this FCC documentation?

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It looks like from that document, that importing is not allowed without the requisite FCC documentation...
So, this begs the question, how did they manage to provide Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 without this FCC documentation?

WiFi bands are unlicensed, so type approval is not needed. If they had an LTE version it would need to be licensed.

dksf42

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I also did a pre-order at a Microsoft store and they said "October 26th" but I have not heard anything further - anyone get any type of update email?

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I feel frustrated as well. I bought a 640 XL back in May because I was excited to get a Windows 10 phone. Not only is it still not running Windows 10, but the screen got the well known yellow burn spot in under two months. I now have a phone that irritates me just by looking at it, and no end in sight. I got so desperate for something new that I bought a Moto X Pure last week to calm myself. Of course I was miserable with it and have since returned it for a full refund.

Looking forward to a hard release date. Both of my local MS stores are NOT doing pre-orders and basically told me to sign up for an email notification on the website. I'd also like confirmation that the dual SIM model will be available in the US. I can cope with the single SIM version, but I'd like to know sooner, rather than later, so I can make a contingency plan.

I work for a company who (similar to MS) is always behind the 8 ball on meeting customer due dates. So I understand why it happens (doing something right the first time) and as someone on the sales side of the company, I understand the customer frustrations. Here's hoping the 950 XL is in my hands sooner rather than later!

dinkatoid

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
I was at a Microsoft store last night and had asked about the phones. The employee told me they were hearing that the phones would be delayed until December. I can't say if there is any truth to that or not but as we get closer and closer to Nov it seems like it could be possible.

Jon_Rubinstein

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
SO what do we have here....

A Phone that MS was embarrassed to show in the Oct 6th event. Panos seems embarrased that this is not really his product. They know they need to show something, otherwise the ship will completely sink. They have reallocated resources from the Mobile Team during year to get W10 done and now they are behind the 8 ball, AGAIN when it comes to Mobile phones. WM10 is NOT ready. They are not releasing the phone until it is ready.

Something tells me Panos didnt even want to present these phones on Oct 6th, but he had no choice. The frustrating part is that we know MS can get their act together on almost all divisions but the Mobile group. Someone's head need to be chopped. DO they EVER meet any deliverable in this division? It is always an excuse. No wonder they have to abandon the consumer demographics and focus on business. With the way the Mobilegroup is going, they wouldn't even beat PALM at this game.

TIME TO GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER IN MOBILE MS!!!!!!!!!!

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
The plain fact of the matter is this whole mobile thing is just taking WAY WAY TOO LONG. At least 8.1 works great. But I sure would like to see some progress, we can't even see the light at the end of the tunnel. Fact is I am not sure if we can be sure we are even in a tunnel. How much did they say the CEO got paid, for what (looking at the mobile side of things).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99