Dropping the ball on the 950XL (950)

Status
Not open for further replies.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I'm starting to lose interest. 950XL would have been a great return to WP.

Now it just feels lackluster with all the detours

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Lumious

Jun 16, 2015
Visit site
At the MS store i was specifically told that i could preorder the 950XL from the store and it would cost 25$ to do so and everything else that i wanted i could also preorder for free (SP4 and SBook). Then once i have to pay for the phone the 25 would be deducted from the total cost of the phone. Now i havent heard anywhere that you could preorder the 950s yet so maybe the guys at the MS store don't even know what they were talking about.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
At the MS store i was specifically told that i could preorder the 950XL from the store and it would cost 25$ to do so and everything else that i wanted i could also preorder for free (SP4 and SBook). Then once i have to pay for the phone the 25 would be deducted from the total cost of the phone. Now i havent heard anywhere that you could preorder the 950s yet so maybe the guys at the MS store don't even know what they were talking about.

It shouldn't even cost you $25. I preordered free

donkiluminate

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have to agree. MS has totally dropped the ball on the phones. They trotted those phones out on stage back on the 6th said it will be available in November yet they haven't so much as had a peep since then or even a real preorder. Sure, I "preordered" at the MS store but the girl wouldn't even call it a preorder. It was more of, just give us your email and we will let you know when they are here in the store.

Ok fine, they can't take preorders until they pass the FCC. Well, how were Apple and Google able to announce their phones and take preorders soon after. That tells me they were able to pass FCC. You can't tell me that in a industry as competitive as smartphones and a company as large as MS someone has not been able to "git 'er dun"?

With the whole bumbling of the OS and lack of attention and communication it's no wonder WM is in the state that it's in. I want to give them my money but they sure are making it hard for me to and I'm starting to feel like I don't want to give them my money.

Let's not forget. MS promised two major updates to WP8. We got 8.1, which was late, and then most of the originally promised features in GDR2 were stripped out and promised to go into WM10.

ksj1

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The testing can be done by a third party and the FCC accepts that and issues approval in a few days. We don't know if that's been done. Microsoft said November. That's still over a week away, and lasts another several weeks after that. I think some of you have OCD and have to have the latest and greatest RIGHT NOW. I want the new phone as well but a couple weeks isn't going to cause any real damage to me or Microsoft.

slivy58

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm starting to lose interest. 950XL would have been a great return to WP.

Now it just feels lackluster with all the detours

I lost interest a loooong time ago, the only reason I'm hanging in there (sort of) is that there is no need for me to upgrade to a new phone at this point and time, not expecting much in the way of availability anyway here in Canada other than through the MS store, if that is the case I'll be looking at another platform, sad but true.

Last edited:

desaideas1

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
PYARM-1085 Has already passed FCC certification.
https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...id=8mlRFI2BZtvBduY7EJPeTQ==&fcc_id=PYARM-1085

This leads me to believe that the holdup is one or a combination of the below:
1. Demand and Interest is high, and Microsoft would like to get phones into the carriers to take advantage of the financing programs T-Mobile/ATT offer.
2. The Verizon fiasco means that they need to reflash the modem firmware (or rewrite/certify) to prevent the consumer from assuming it will work.
3. Hardware production issue, delaying the factory from running at full or delaying production.
4. Hardware design issue, causing need for re-engineering and retooling of molds, etc.
5. OS is experiencing too many issues to be considered consumer ready. (I think this one is a given, they want people to upgrade to ten, and then make a decision to buy a new handset. If your upgrade experience is crappy, you'll think twice about splurging on a new device.
6. Positive response has made Marketing rethink their strategy, more money is being pushed into Ad channels, and campaigns are being reworked.
7. Astoria and Islandwood and the BD teams are working on appuisitions, hoping to announce the return of several apps, and announcing list of new Universal apps.
___
Funions
____
8. Response was great, decided to screw the fan base and force them to wait for Surface Phone.
9. Response was crappy, Windows 10 Mobile is now a glorified launcher/rewrite of Android.
10. Peanut Butter Jelly Time.
11. Miley Cyrus and Justin Biebz versions.
12. Kanye West is now the Global Marketing and Innovation Director (just like Alicia Keys and Blackberry lol)

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Then why the hell didn't they seek it long before the keynote? Your telling me Apple has that all set each year in time for that, and this is news to Microsoft? Again...ball dropping and someone's *** needs to be fired.

Because the key note was about the Surface line. The phones were showed off as well. Here in Canada they are due out in December. They likely haven't manufactured a final one with a final firmware. Since their orders won't reach iphone proportions they can start manufacturing later and not have to worry as much.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
They need to just release the device BEFORE Black Friday. If it comes out in December then they just missed a good chunk of holiday customers.

desaideas1

Jun 18, 2015
Visit site
Some form of communication would be nice. We've all been waiting a year+ to get new hardware. Every single other product that they showed has had legitimate preorders and release dates communicated to the public. Hardware is one of those things that unless a catastrophic design flaw is found or significant changes are being made you hit your deadlines or face significant backlash.

My gut is telling me that the debacle that has been Insider Preview and QA has made management push back on the W10M release because they don't want to have people buying phones and within 2 weeks having to wipe and update (build to build in place upgrades have been ridiculously unstable, just look at how many times you have to hard reset to get things working halfway decent).

If I were Microsoft I might extend the preview program into Hardware, and let preview members be first in line (as a perk) to grab the hardware and run in through it's paces.

I've had such a frustrating time with W10M on my Lumia 1020 (it's now USB bricked, will charge wont get detected on any PC's) and I'll have to wait for the next in place upgrade release to come out and hard reset it a couple times in a row to hopefully get back that functionality. I just grabbed an iPhone 5 and have been trying to use it, but tbh the UI/UX is complete garbage and I miss Steve Jobs' final pass on experience design.

All that fanfare and first looks at the Oct 6th event, having demo units shown in store then pulled is pretty much the epitomy of ineptitude in marketing communication. I don't know if it's Panos Panay feeling like the new phones don't match up with his (surface) teams final finish or what. I'm surprised he didn't force them to redesign the backplate to more premium materials (without going to a third party).

Something is up, and the silence is deafening. There is no way you can produce 150-300 devices (testing, internal use and store demos) and not be ready to crank out devices. Even weirder is news that Joel Belfiore is taking a "year long" sabbatical to spend more time with his family raises other questions about where exactly the "buck" is stopping when it comes to Windows Phone...

While yes, it's October, there are only 21 days left before the Thanksgiving holiday and that is not much time to get a marketing campaign in swing, even though I'm sure there is a few million spent on Ads for Halo, Xbox, and Surface being spent leading up to black Friday.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Well I "preordered" at the store so just waiting now to pay for it and pick up.

If all you did was give your email and you think you actually preordered; you are wrong. Anyone can give there email at the store or online and that only means you will be notified when the actual preorder opens. I fell into the same thing and was told by store employee that it was only a way to advise you of the preorder date. Sorry

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting tired of this. After using windows phone since early 2011 and convincing many iphone and android users to convert I'm thinking to convert my self!
I need a new phone right now.
No date or pre-orders on lumia 950 XL
Windows 10 for phone probably won't be ready in time
Microsoft still investing more on other platforms and leave us WINDOWS PHONE USERS to be last
SO MICROSOFT - IF YOU HAVE DISRESPECT TO YOUR MOST LOYAL USERS - i might just go and buy other
platform.
I'm really sick of Microsoft management on everything related to THEIR OWN OS.
Seems like a bunch of kids either google it's self running this devision.
Microsoft SHAM ON YOU!
If windows phone will fail that's 1000000 % on you!

WhiteRaven7

Oct 24, 2015
Visit site
Lost interest already? lol I'm just getting pumped up. I'm gettting the 950 though. The XL appears too big. I'm going for compact and powerful.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
If all you did was give your email and you think you actually preordered; you are wrong. Anyone can give there email at the store or online and that only means you will be notified when the actual preorder opens. I fell into the same thing and was told by store employee that it was only a way to advise you of the preorder date. Sorry

That's not what I was told. The rep specifically told me the preorder was for pick up and will be on hold. Now who right or wrong will be determined.

I don't doubt you but that's not what I was told.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss