Dropping the ball on the 950XL (950)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
not only that they have arrived too late with the presentation but the actual release delayed until December? :))) It will be quite something to see the actual interest in those phones after so long the others have released their flagships.

pjm1891

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Tele2 seems to be the only operator that have preorder in Sweden. (Telenor, 3, Telia and Halebop didnt have it)

Or i saw now that Telia had it after checking the link from microsoft store (But i didnt see any ad for it at Telia and it wasnt in the phone list)

Telenor will also be getting the 950. They aren't sure about the xl though.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
You need to be blind not to see the reality here. It's clear that MS does not have too much interest in the mobile division. Mediocre presentation of the phones, compared to the other devices they have showed, very late release as it seems with a total lack of precision. You guys who are waiting for these two phones better keep your fingers crossed to get them before Christmas if lucky and with a finished OS, not a still beta buggy build on them. Everybody else manages to actually start the pre-orders and sales shortly after the big announcement: Apple, Google, Samsung. MS seems to be avoiding this for unknown reasons to us; we can only speculate what could be the problem, but as someone here said, the fact that Belfiore decided to "leave for a long time, to spend with his family" is something that smells kinda' fishy.
I don;t want to spread any bad words but really, from my point of view, MS announced the two phones only to not fall into a despicable state. As for actually starting to sell them, I won't bet on anything sooner than Christmas. Let's face it guys, a company who is excited about their products will start to sell them as soon as they can, they push with any approvals they need to be able to get them out to the waiting users. In this case MS does not care, again.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I definitely feel the rage like many of you. I need a new phone now and have been waiting for the 950 XL for months. I only want a flagship phone. And yet, no news that AT&T (USA) will even offer the XL variant. Am I stuck with the 950 unless I spend a ghastly $700 on an unlocked one!?! I really don't want to be forced to buy the iPhone 6S... I really dislike the Apple ecosystem and the "cult of Apple" (although since many of my friends have Apple, that's what I would get if I HAD to switch). Android scares me with its bugs, resets, and sluggishness. It's clear mobile hardware is not a priority for MS. Why did they even buy Nokia? Just to let it die? Just to make Nokia the king of low end phones?

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
I definitely feel the rage like many of you. I need a new phone now and have been waiting for the 950 XL for months. I only want a flagship phone. And yet, no news that AT&T (USA) will even offer the XL variant. Am I stuck with the 950 unless I spend a ghastly $700 on an unlocked one!?! I really don't want to be forced to buy the iPhone 6S... I really dislike the Apple ecosystem and the "cult of Apple" (although since many of my friends have Apple, that's what I would get if I HAD to switch). Android scares me with its bugs, resets, and sluggishness. It's clear mobile hardware is not a priority for MS. Why did they even buy Nokia? Just to let it die? Just to make Nokia the king of low end phones?

I have been an Apple HATER since the late 80s. Always idolized Gates, couldn't stand the smarmy and the smug of Jobs. Owned Tandy desktops, Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and now 10! Had a Lumia 928, 1020, 1520, HTC One M8 for Windows, then an Icon then back to a 1520 (had a BUNCH of Android Phones before my WP awakening).

I bought a 6S Plus a few weeks ago. Don't let the DPI numbers fool you, it is the most beautiful display I have ever seen on any phone I have ever owned, hands down! The Camera isn't pureview, but it's still pretty good (best camera Apple has ever done I am told). It's fast, fast, fast as hell and I CAN DOWNLOAD PRETTY MUCH ANY APP I WANT FROM THE APP STORE!!!!

Are rows and rows and screens and screens of icons BORING? YES
Is the system locked down way beyond the bounds of reasonableness? YES
Am I terrified of dropping it because its not indestructible like a Nokia? YES

Do I have any regrets about buying my first ever Apple device, considering the state and future of Windows Phone? NOPE

Read the handwriting on the wall, WP is dead and the company that created it doesn't even care!!! We've got 8000 different variations of Androids, IPhones and that's pretty what's a viable investment unless you want to live in a dead ecosystem.

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hey, I think I found a pic of the lady who is actually in charge of Windows Phone marketing and promotion!!!!! :cool: :winktongue: :crying:

major-league-whitton.jpg

rld082982

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
I have been an Apple HATER since the late 80s. Always idolized Gates, couldn't stand the smarmy and the smug of Jobs. Owned Tandy desktops, Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and now 10! Had a Lumia 928, 1020, 1520, HTC One M8 for Windows, then an Icon then back to a 1520 (had a BUNCH of Android Phones before my WP awakening).

I bought a 6S Plus a few weeks ago. Don't let the DPI numbers fool you, it is the most beautiful display I have ever seen on any phone I have ever owned, hands down! The Camera isn't pureview, but it's still pretty good (best camera Apple has ever done I am told). It's fast, fast, fast as hell and I CAN DOWNLOAD PRETTY MUCH ANY APP I WANT FROM THE APP STORE!!!!

Are rows and rows and screens and screens of icons BORING? YES
Is the system locked down way beyond the bounds of reasonableness? YES
Am I terrified of dropping it because its not indestructible like a Nokia? YES

Do I have any regrets about buying my first ever Apple device, considering the state and future of Windows Phone? NOPE

Read the handwriting on the wall, WP is dead and the company that created it doesn't even care!!! We've got 8000 different variations of Androids, IPhones and that's pretty what's a viable investment unless you want to live in a dead ecosystem.

This is how I feel. Except I will never purchase an Apple product. I'd rather be blood eagled.

easyejl

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
What good are preorders if the OS for them isn't ready yet? Microsoft doesn't want to define a solid release date till the phone OS is at least where they can see that it will be ready in time.

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
So does Android... I haven't had any issues with it

My most recent Android experience was a 45 day flirtation with an LG G3. Wasn't as bad as my old Galaxy S3, but I was still doing multiple reboots per week to keep it running fast and smooth. This 6S+ just keeps on trucking, day in and out.

Brian Emmerling

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
It's simple. They legally can't accept pre-orders or any kind of order for the devices until they have received final FCC approval.

I can attest to this, I ran a small business in another industry. The marketing thing is taken pretty seriously. I got fined because my website went live two weeks before I got my official rubber stamp from the government.

Brian Emmerling

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
really? I have a 6, and I find it and the ipad air to be really slow with the latest iOS update. Not to mention the U2 album that keeps popping up no matter how many times i delete it.

Brian Emmerling

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
The 6S is a good product. The windows phone is not dead, but it isn't MS focus right now either. The MS ecosystem is much stronger than Apple. We tend to focus on consumer products on these forums, but i can tell you the Microsoft Azure Cloud services are eating people's lunch. Also, the Enterprise version of Skype/Lync is very strong and well liked. Apple has lost every rebid competition for corporate cellular they have bid. MS has won the most with Blackberry able to hold on somehow.

I completely understand the WP pessimism, but I think it is short sited. I am long on Microsoft.

Jeddic

Mar 27, 2015
Visit site
It's simple. They legally can't accept pre-orders or any kind of order for the devices until they have received final FCC approval.

It's just sad that they couldn't get all that done in time for the announcement. Then they could have told us that pre-orders are available today, we'll ship on xx/xx. That's the proper way to release a product, not this "later this year" deal.

Paul Duncan1

May 14, 2013
Visit site
After stating my Microsoft Phone experience many years ago with Windows Mobile 6 on an ATT Tilt 2, then Samsung Focus, then Nokia 920, then 1020... that's why I'm not the proud owner of an Iphone 6S. The OS is the closest to running smoothly like WP 8.1. I has a passing thought to about the 950, but the silence from Microsoft and absolutely NO advertising yet, is exactly why no one want to write apps for the OS and why no one wants to buy the phones.... It's a shame really.

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I just got back from the MS store in downtown Seattle. The rep told me that 1) the original date was supposed to be the 26th (I did a preorder weeks ago...there was no legal issue or anything, they just took them and gave you a little printout). 2) The floor devices have been recalled and there's no official word as to why. and 3) They don't expect any news until early November.

He *unofficially* suspects the floor models needed an upgraded build before they go out again because of cosmetic changes. But other people - who have friends who were laid off from the division and are therefore unhappy - claim that there's a hardware reason behind it and manufacturing has been paused.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss