Dropping the ball on the 950XL (950)

Status
Not open for further replies.

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
Between this and my SurfacePro4 pre-order getting bumped back to Nov 20 the night before I was set to go pick it up (not to mention the store clerk probably lying to me by blaming customs for the delay), I can't consider MS's handling of these product launches to be anything less than a certified SNAFU. Which is odd because they've done the Xbox launch 3 times over now, they know what you have to do to get product on shelves day and date.

That said, I haven't lost a bit of interest. If anything, I'm chomping at the bit. It's no use getting mad when situations like this pop up. There's nothing to be done. Just sit back and wait, try to occupy your time with something other than stewing over the fact that you don't have your new phone yet. Believe me, I feel the pain. My iPhone5 battery is so decrepit, It's basically a 'cordless' phone now, in that I can unplug it to make a phone call, but I've gotta plug it right back in afterward or its dead.

borasar

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
The 6S is a good product. The windows phone is not dead, but it isn't MS focus right now either. The MS ecosystem is much stronger than Apple. We tend to focus on consumer products on these forums, but i can tell you the Microsoft Azure Cloud services are eating people's lunch. Also, the Enterprise version of Skype/Lync is very strong and well liked. Apple has lost every rebid competition for corporate cellular they have bid. MS has won the most with Blackberry able to hold on somehow.

I completely understand the WP pessimism, but I think it is short sited. I am long on Microsoft.

We're talking about phones not livers here. MS ecosystem is also being offered on competing platforms with far more superior apps at the moment. Listening to Nadela that won't stop either, so you'll be able to benefit from Azure from any platform.

If MS gets it together and actually gets the OS up to speed, gets the apps on board and up to quality and releases devices on time I'm sure most of us who jumped ship would be happy to go back.

My NL 920 bit the dust 2 weeks ago. I couldn't wait for another phone and would not have gotten the Lumia 950 anyway, because I wasn't convinced on the state of WM10 and the apps. It felt like NL920 launch with WP8 all over again.
I bought the Galaxy S6 and to be honest I'm pretty happy with it. The screen is incredible, the camera is absolutely awesome (loads super quick and processing is great, it takes great pictures quickly without need for playing around with settings). Touchwiz has been scaled back a lot and Android is not what people over here make it out to be at all, pretty snappy, I haven't seen any lag yet.

I hope MS turns it around and would be happy to go back, but for now I can totally see why so many people are jumping ship. MS is not helping themselves here with fumble after fumble and constant resets.

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Today I was in the new Microsoft store in NY.
I've played with the new 950 XL for almost an hour.
AMAZING device! JUST AMAZING.
They even let me pre order it for 0 $ and i ordered 3 devices!
Microsoft, this is your last chance! I'm going to wait few more days - And let's see what happen.

If not - I'll be forced to buy an iphone - and you got no idea how much i hate that thought.
PLEASE DO NOT LET US DOWN AGAIN!

Edmund Burke

Oct 8, 2015
Visit site
As a comparison; The iPad Pro was announced before the 950 and 95XL, the Apple site still says just available in November.
I think folks are over reacting, until the 1st of December Microsoft are not late...

izik770

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
That's can not be used as comparison!
Phones are phones - you need them every moment. I can wait a month or 2 for a tablet
But can't wait even an extra day for a phone.
I need a new phone today!
My current lumia is dying - I can't wait that long for new Lumia.
And there is no other flagship available.
So tell me, Are we over reacting???

Read some more above.....

Danjp

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
That's can not be used as comparison!
Phones are phones - you need them every moment. I can wait a month or 2 for a tablet
But can't wait even an extra day for a phone.
I need a new phone today!
My current lumia is dying - I can't wait that long for new Lumia.
And there is no other flagship available.
So tell me, Are we over reacting???

Read some more above.....

Yes

EndreLeine

Oct 27, 2015
Visit site
Norway: Pre-orders are open at the two largest consumer electronics retailers Elkj?p and Lefdal
Release date is Dec 3rd, those with pre-orders will have their devices shipped a few days ahead of official release date - I'd be happy with Dec 1st for my 950 :cool:

Agreed, it's not November, but I do believe another 5 weeks would be sufficient pull this thing off... :smile:

Donald Simard1

Oct 12, 2015
Visit site
I stopped at the local Microsoft kiosk to look at thing s soon after the device event and the salesperson asked if I wanted to pre order the phone. I want ready as I have a lot of. Life in my 830

bradm77

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
The 6S is a good product. The windows phone is not dead, but it isn't MS focus right now either. The MS ecosystem is much stronger than Apple. We tend to focus on consumer products on these forums, but i can tell you the Microsoft Azure Cloud services are eating people's lunch. Also, the Enterprise version of Skype/Lync is very strong and well liked. Apple has lost every rebid competition for corporate cellular they have bid. MS has won the most with Blackberry able to hold on somehow.

I completely understand the WP pessimism, but I think it is short sited. I am long on Microsoft.

Good point, but I have OneNote, Word, Excel, Office lens, OneDrive, Outlook, Sway all on my Iphone. Office lens was just updated........... for IOS and Android!!! I think it says something that my "Microsoft Experience" is way better on an IPhone than it ever was on my Windows Phones.

Microsoft abandoned WP a long time before any of us did. :straight:

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I have been an Apple HATER since the late 80s. Always idolized Gates, couldn't stand the smarmy and the smug of Jobs. Owned Tandy desktops, Windows 3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, Me, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, 8 and now 10! Had a Lumia 928, 1020, 1520, HTC One M8 for Windows, then an Icon then back to a 1520 (had a BUNCH of Android Phones before my WP awakening).

I bought a 6S Plus a few weeks ago. Don't let the DPI numbers fool you, it is the most beautiful display I have ever seen on any phone I have ever owned, hands down! The Camera isn't pureview, but it's still pretty good (best camera Apple has ever done I am told). It's fast, fast, fast as hell and I CAN DOWNLOAD PRETTY MUCH ANY APP I WANT FROM THE APP STORE!!!!

Are rows and rows and screens and screens of icons BORING? YES
Is the system locked down way beyond the bounds of reasonableness? YES
Am I terrified of dropping it because its not indestructible like a Nokia? YES

Do I have any regrets about buying my first ever Apple device, considering the state and future of Windows Phone? NOPE

Read the handwriting on the wall, WP is dead and the company that created it doesn't even care!!! We've got 8000 different variations of Androids, IPhones and that's pretty what's a viable investment unless you want to live in a dead ecosystem.

Whooaa..now this is not something you see everyday :) True Microsoft fan to be impressed by the actual quality of an Apple product :). The iphones may not be the best in shock resistance, camera and for sure are limited in customizing the UX, but you get updates when they are released, you have priority in App updates, an ecosystem that works, really it works very well, a messaging system and video call system that works better than skype, wayyyyy betterrrr customer support, premium devices and premium services, it's blazing fast despite it does not have tons of RAM and dozens of cores because it does NOT NEED. yes they cost more but you get what you pay for...No company is perfect! but some know how to treat clients better than the others... Enjoy your new phone and the APPS than you HAVE in the APP STORE :)

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
What good are preorders if the OS for them isn't ready yet? Microsoft doesn't want to define a solid release date till the phone OS is at least where they can see that it will be ready in time.

Good luck waiting another 6 months then...for the OS to be ready for public use.

mariusmuntean

Banned
Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
I just got back from the MS store in downtown Seattle. The rep told me that 1) the original date was supposed to be the 26th (I did a preorder weeks ago...there was no legal issue or anything, they just took them and gave you a little printout). 2) The floor devices have been recalled and there's no official word as to why. and 3) They don't expect any news until early November.

He *unofficially* suspects the floor models needed an upgraded build before they go out again because of cosmetic changes. But other people - who have friends who were laid off from the division and are therefore unhappy - claim that there's a hardware reason behind it and manufacturing has been paused.

:))))))))))))))))) again hardware flaws??? 930 had them: overheating and screen glass popping off the frame in corners, 1520 had them: scroll issue, what on earth is the QC Team doing???

Spicymikey

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I agree. I think that's really the reason for the long faces at the show, the pulling of the hardware from the stores, etc.. The hardware is ready, the software is not. They missed the mark by a mile as all of us beta testing the W10M OS can confirm. It's late October and the OS is really still far from solid. November is lost. I hope they can salvage the Christmas season. Microsoft WHAT ARE YOU DOING?

Jon_Rubinstein

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
At Palm we completely re-started the OS from Scratch exactly 6 months prior to Launch (just google the Prima vs Luna WEBOS story) without any money or resources. We had only 4 ENGINEERS working on the Luna project, 24/7. 4 !!!!!!!!!
You cant tell me that MS doesn't have the resources to get W10M finalized in 30 days?The question is, do they want to?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo