10-26-2015 02:11 AM
78 1234
tools
    If your feelings are so set on the next M'apple phone or android then go, M'apple and Droid have started emulating each other amd frankly it's sad. At least with the 950 series there is something different.

As someone before me stated, if we all wait that might be the sign to old William to shut down the mobile phone division. The surface phone is coming out possibly in a year maybe longer, MSFT is a company that needs to project it's earnings before releasing the evolution in smart devices.

If all the rumors are true and there's an Intel chip on that bad boy, all I will say is, Windows phone does WHAT! Bye bye laptops and even tablets, to an extent. Without taking chances and getting messy how would you know something will work or not? (Don't mind the MS . Frizzell quote there, XD watched tv with the kids all day).
    10-25-2015 12:16 AM
    If your feelings are so set on the next M'apple phone or android then go, M'apple and Droid have started emulating each other amd frankly it's sad. At least with the 950 series there is something different.

As someone before me stated, if we all wait that might be the sign to old William to shut down the mobile phone division. The surface phone is coming out possibly in a year maybe longer, MSFT is a company that needs to project it's earnings before releasing the evolution in smart devices.

If all the rumors are true and there's an Intel chip on that bad boy, all I will say is, Windows phone does WHAT! Bye bye laptops and even tablets, to an extent. Without taking chances and getting messy how would you know something will work or not? (Don't mind the MS . Frizzell quote there, XD watched tv with the kids all day).
    Microsoft always had a shiny future and a beta present so that intel and laptop stuff is kind of sad in itself, I would say that if Microsoft could figure out how to use both a mid range ARM and a high end Intel chip in the same phone, that would create the effect of the surface book basically, and it'll be truly a swiss army knife of both a connected PC and a battery friendly phone.

As for the something different part, we didn't need an action center we kept saying we want interactive tiles or a left home screen for notifications instead we got stuck with an Android themed notification center it wasn't even as good as Android's version! even the whole look and feel of Windows 10 Mobile is very close to what an ICS Android looked like back in 2010, Windows 10 Mobile is probably Microsoft's Symbian Bell OS (Look it up)
    10-25-2015 03:21 AM
    Opera Mini.
    There are many browsers in the Windows Phone store and even though Opera Mini has a 2.6 rating, it's not a different browser because it actually uses Internet Explorer to render pages and then applies it's changes to it, and that's then not a real change if your problem with the browser to begin with, is the rendering part.
    10-25-2015 03:26 AM
    I don't do 'social' apps. I have real friends, albiet only 4 or 5 truly real friends, I have thousands of acquaintances though. I dont need twitter to massage my ego or share my working life, and have many followers. I am not a follower, no twitter for me.

As for the 'billions' of people using these OS, maybe they should step back and look at exactly what they are getting? How many times can crapple keep milking the market with 3 or 4 identical device, save for different colours and a slightly bigger screen, that bends.

How many times can Samdung do the Same? Galaxy s6, edge, egde xl, dual edge etc. Consequently, I consider myself to be 'More' mature because I have the ABILITY to make my OWN mind up and not be led like sheep into thinking that the latest device, which is inevitably just a small upgrade over the last model to save development costs to a minimum, and blow a large sum of money on something, especially droid, that won't have any support or upgrades when the new fashion statement arrives. High end devices are basically selling you a lifestyle, so if people want to spend a shed load of money on the flagship iBone or Galaxy, it' not because it's the best device, it's the one they want to be seen with, the one they can big up to their mates. They are NOT mobiles, they are fashion items where sheep are convinced to buy them with clever marketing and product placement in the coolest of music videos.....

Yes, I have to agree that Lumia is an odd design. I am a believer that the 950/950 xl have had to be released in part, to recover the development costs. Anything above that is a bonus. I firmly see it as a stop gap to something bigger.

Can I have another immature quote pls??? I have seen this from all three major OS's over the years.
    I'm sure you have lots of friends that enjoy how above it all you are, we use social apps to connect because its cheaper than calling and because believe it or not, some people work away from their homes and they want to connect with their loved ones, I use Facebook messenger for voice calls and video calls, as Skype is a complete failure in our region (No local servers I bet) and Windows Phone still doesn't have the ability to make video calls or even calls in Facebook Messenger, Facebook is a billion people service, I would think no company should ignore it but oh well.

The fact that Windows Phone is special (and its not anymore because most of the changes made transformed it into an Android anyways) is meaningless and frankly if you think it's that special maybe you're a hipster. :D

On the simplicity part, a dumbphone is also simple! but I'd say the lovely thing about Windows Phone that is has a consistent speed (before resume OS took over) you always did your tasks in the same speed and your phone operated the same way for months maybe a whole year, which is something I miss sometimes, but then I remember how many services I use that are complete disasters on WP so I keep my mouth shut :D
    10-25-2015 03:40 AM
    The fact that Windows Phone is special (and its not anymore because most of the changes made transformed it into an Android anyways) is meaningless and frankly if you think it's that special maybe you're a hipster. :D

:D

I felt woindows 10 mobile looks more like windows 10 . Except for some places .. It does look like android. But out of that 80% it looks like windows 10 on pc.
    10-25-2015 06:24 AM
    Well... Since I bought the surface RT 1 and still keep it as a multipurpose TV box.
    So I guess I can ignore your advice, right :3

Or, how about thinking this way: I have my money and I bet on things I like, simple as fact :D
    Jazmac likes this.
    10-25-2015 06:42 AM
    I'm sure you have lots of friends that enjoy how above it all you are, we use social apps to connect because its cheaper than calling and because believe it or not, some people work away from their homes and they want to connect with their loved ones, I use Facebook messenger for voice calls and video calls, as Skype is a complete failure in our region (No local servers I bet) and Windows Phone still doesn't have the ability to make video calls or even calls in Facebook Messenger, Facebook is a billion people service, I would think no company should ignore it but oh well.

On the simplicity part, a dumbphone is also simple! but I'd say the lovely thing about Windows Phone that is has a consistent speed (before resume OS took over) you always did your tasks in the same speed and your phone operated the same way for months maybe a whole year, which is something I miss sometimes, but then I remember how many services I use that are complete disasters on WP so I keep my mouth shut :D
    Apparently not......
    bozvandam likes this.
    10-25-2015 07:28 AM
    I am always amused when people start talking about things like SnapChat as some sort of important must-have app that their lives depend upon or they'll die unfulfilled. It's just today's pet rock.

Seriously.

But to each their own. Everyone has their particular requirements.

I look for a phone in a smartphone. And access to the internet. All things internet. News and information, especially. And it's good for productivity... getting at emails, being able to view and update things like documents, spreadsheets, presentations, and other such office-related activities.

I don't buy a phone to play games. But sometimes I might play a game.

What was nice about Windows Phone is that the ecosystem wasn't wrapped in rubber bumpers with twenty nannies to watch over every aspect of using the phone (Apple), and it wasn't a hash of every random way possible to do anything, where every manufacturer gets to "improve" upon the interface, such that "Android compatible" was almost meaningless, requiring tracking version numbers of device specs to figure out what may or may not almost work.

And it offered a far more interesting integration; things weren't separated by Apps. The services provided by Apps were integrated together in ways that really were useful. Of course, so much of that is diminished. But I can't blame Microsoft so much there as it's the App owners that had their services integrated better that really were at fault for not wanting their content used in such a manner -- pretty much like cable companies want to control the UI of their PPV/streaming.viewing platforms and not let third-parties be able to do something innovative with the content.

If something drastically changes in the smartphone landscape I can buy another phone. The world isn't ending. I pay far more for the cellular service each year than I do for any one phone. And even if I don't switch to other ecosystems, I still keep buying different phones regularly. I can switch anytime I think it's valuable to me to do so.

Yeah, I believe some companies make incredibly stupid decisions and statements. That's hardly anything new, either. If some CEO wants to declare he'll never support platform X, then fine. He's an ***** for blindly limiting his user base. But he can be an *****, there's no law preventing that. The free market works its way through such things. Like the guy trying to sell $750 pills who now can't even sell the pill at the original $13 price since another company is selling the same thing for $1. Not to mention the incredibly bad press he is getting over the whole matter.

But the ecosystem landscape is about to change a lot; while it won't be completely effort-free, with the tools to readily port iOS and Android apps, developers with a brain who just want more potential customers will do so readily. Especially when doing so could also expand their potential user base to the Windows desktop, and eventually into Xbox game consoles and future devices like HoloLens.

There was a time when cell phones were installed in vehicles not carried around. Then it became commonplace to have cell phones one could carry in a pocket. Then they turned into smarter devices with the ability to run programs that did more than make phone calls. Just like portable cassette players became portable CD players and then portable MP3 players which then got combined into our smarter phones. And cameras became digital cameras which got merged into smarter phones. Equipment changes. People adapt. Everything changes. Yesterday's must-have is tomorrow's who-cares. Who knows what's next. But there will be a next.

I'm satisfied with Windows Phone. I'd like some things to be different. But anyone will come up with things that they believe would be improvements, no matter what ecosystem they use. The device we're about to get is top-of-the-line, no matter what naysayers think about it not being glass and metal (which itself is a silly belief). It stands spec-to-spec against the best phones from every manufacturer, if not exceeding them in just about every way. There's very little that could be added to them from available tech. I do feel for Microsoft, though. They have been forced to reinvent so many things over and over. I'd really like to see the platform get this sort of attention to improve rather than to be gutted and replaced. I think we're at least finally to that point. The Universal app and common kernel have some significant advantages over what has come before.

Almost anybody can build a phone nowadays. Reference designs, common chipsets, and a whole horde of me-too designs proves that. It's no longer rocket science. Innovation is the key, now. What comes next. And how that can fit into the bigger picture. Computing devices tied with different interfaces -- cellular, displays, holographic, visual, tactile, projected, images, maybe even neutrally connected one day. You want ways to leverage together all the work done for any of those devices and interfaces as new ones become available and desirable.
    10-25-2015 10:04 AM
    Microsoft always had a shiny future and a beta present so that intel and laptop stuff is kind of sad in itself, I would say that if Microsoft could figure out how to use both a mid range ARM and a high end Intel chip in the same phone, that would create the effect of the surface book basically, and it'll be truly a swiss army knife of both a connected PC and a battery friendly phone.

As for the something different part, we didn't need an action center we kept saying we want interactive tiles or a left home screen for notifications instead we got stuck with an Android themed notification center it wasn't even as good as Android's version! even the whole look and feel of Windows 10 Mobile is very close to what an ICS Android looked like back in 2010, Windows 10 Mobile is probably Microsoft's Symbian Bell OS (Look it up)
    Why would they want an ARM chip? The only problem with CISC was that intel made high power requirements on their chips, so they weren't really viable for mobile. Their new skylake line has mobile chipsets. And Intel has quite an intense engineering team allowing them to build some crazy chips. In fact their cpu's are so tiny that's why they are slamming crazy GPU's into them. The new Iris Pro is actually quite a capable gpu. Furthermore intel and MS have been working on a special project which likely will be this upcoming phone. But don't expect it to be announced till possibly October 2016-Jan 2017. And expect it to cost more than apple devices. I think it will be sold as a phone/computer and as such the price will be justified. It could even come with a dock with a powerful GPU for gaming. Anything is possible really. But to hold out because something is coming is silly in tech. Tech is always rapidly changing, you would be holding out all the time.
    10-25-2015 10:47 AM
    Assuming the op's assumption is correct, a rt wp would still be better and more productive than anything apple or android has ever had.
    Joshwin likes this.
    10-25-2015 10:50 AM
    I am buying a 950 and a 950 xl as soon as they are available around here. Off contract, straight up. 950xl for me, 950 for my wife. We just got 2 surface 3 tablets and love them!
    10-25-2015 11:32 AM
    I am considering the same thing. Just not positive if I want the large 950xl or the smaller 950. Same issue for the wife.
    10-25-2015 11:38 AM

Everything is stolen, reprocessed and relayed as a new product. The continuum dock is something that makes this phone differentiate it's self from all the cloned and emulated devices.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-25-2015 11:46 AM
    Look at M'apple, they can make the iPhone with the S series features and scrap the S series. Iphone has everything laid out and cut it in half and produce two devices, not including the tablets, people eat it up and buy the phones.

Droid has its S series which I saw as the S series of iphone, the Note is what I saw as the main phone. Now the S series has a plus addition and an active series. It's getting out of hand.

Make a phone that can handle anything a company can throw at it. When new hardware is needed because of insufficient memory, produce a new line with the features we love and want to keep with new hardware.

If MSFT can install Win 10 on older phones, why can't android and iphone do the same(granted there are some devices that can't handle Win 10 because of hardware but MSFT is getting to a work around).
    10-25-2015 12:11 PM
    10-25-2015 01:43 PM
    many services I use that are complete disasters on WP
    Don't abandon the ship before even it is out in the sea. I mean w10M is not yet released just give it some time.No one can predict the future of any technology.only time will decide.You can't just claim that lumias will be surface rt without any base.lumia could become very successful value phones along with "surface phones" . May be WP is not the right choice for you, you can just choose whatever platform you like not a big deal. its just a phone. but stop asking people to not to buy lumia. they know what is best for them just like you do. I know many people they still consider android as just a refreshed crummy old Symbian phones. nothing new or innovative and nothing exciting but they don't go and say "dont waste your money on android".

I am pretty sure the app gap will vanish very soon once w10m and w10 settle down. W10M has EVERY quality to be the smartest smartphone now. it is the future of technology.No matter how many apps you have on android it is still just a phone and to me its just a toy, but w10m is a miniPC running robust universal apps and running PC apps hell it will be a full pc soon while android can run just phone apps. people already started realizing its true potency, and many of my android using frds(mostly fanboys) are going to buy 950, some have already bought 640xl. so why are the hate speeches and FUDs before the final release of the hardware and w10m?. until then we need to stop spreading FUDs and also ignore them.
    Last edited by a5cent; 10-25-2015 at 06:31 PM. Reason: language
    10-25-2015 02:28 PM
    Oh and one more thing. WinRt was announced at the same time as PRO. You were given the choice and everyone in tech knew winRT would get nowhere. You sacrificed future support by going the cheaper route. It's the choice people made. It was pretty obvious it would not be supported but was simply there to fill a gap for those who can't afford something better.
    Karen LePage likes this.
    10-25-2015 02:46 PM
    Rumors are carried by haters, spread by fools, and accepted by idiots.
    10-25-2015 03:12 PM
    These phones are just as good if not better than android and apple high end phones and have a decent price point.

As fare as a surface phone goes, its all just rumors, I Would not take any thing serious until there is actual Proof. If anything is true about it, its not aimed at the average consumer like us, but at business people. And would probably carry a 900 plus price tag. Again its all rumors until a actual release date and specs are released by Microsoft. I think at one point people were sure a Zune phone was coming out, but that never happened, until Microsoft says something official I wont take info on a phone that may or may not exist seriously.
    And after the Surface Book "Surprise!" I'm not expecting a lot of "leaks" or "renders" from the Surface group.
    libra89 likes this.
    10-25-2015 03:53 PM

I am pretty sure the app gap will vanish very soon once w10m and w10 settle down. W10M has EVERY quality to be the smartest smartphone now. it is the future of technology.No matter how many apps you have on android it is still just a phone and to me its just a toy, but w10m is a miniPC running robust universal apps and running PC apps hell it will be a full pc soon while android can run just phone apps.
    I'll buy the 950 XL, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the hell out of it. But posts like yours make me roll my eyes so far back into my head that I nearly pass out.
    Jazmac likes this.
    10-25-2015 05:26 PM
    That's good idea with tech, wait for the next best thing. (sarcasm)
    10-25-2015 05:49 PM
    There are many browsers in the Windows Phone store and even though Opera Mini has a 2.6 rating, it's not a different browser because it actually uses Internet Explorer to render pages and then applies it's changes to it, and that's then not a real change if your problem with the browser to begin with, is the rendering part.
    Opera Mini is NOT a wrapper like UC Browser. Get your facts straight.
    Jazmac, libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-25-2015 06:14 PM
    The situation then becomes like this, these phones are barely smartphones now...
    You posted this the same month MSFT demonstrated Continuum.

Here are some of the things I do on my "nonsmartphone"...

Hulu
    Netflix
    Whatsapp international texts and phone calls for $1/year
    Skype international voice and video calls
    weather app
    Free global GPS with downloadable maps
    watch podcasts
    view and do light editing of MS Office docs

Honestly it is hard to come up with a list because I use so much of this stuff it is second nature. I don't even realize I'm using it.

Which apps are missing...

My bank doesn't have an app
    many medical apps
    gas station payment app

The problem with the app gap is there are a bunch of apps you use once or twice a month but when you need them you need them. But to say the phone is hardly a smartphone is a bit much.

Anyway it doesn't matter to me. I'm on contract so I need to get a new phone when my contract is up. It doesn't make sense for me to wait around 8, 9, 10 months paying my monthly charges waiting for a surface phone. By the time a Surface phone hits the market, is widely available, and has a decent sale price I will be through a year on my contract. It's not like the app ecosystem is going to change dramatically for a Surface Phone nor older devices. Remember even if a Surface Phone has mind blowingly awesome sales it will still be outnumbered by legacy devices. And a Surface Phone will be a premium device. It won't be flying off the shelves in third world countries where low end Windows Phones have done decently.
    10-25-2015 08:33 PM
    No. Opera mini uses its own cloud based rendering engine that also compresses the web pages for lesser data consumption. And is not based on IE rendering engine.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-25-2015 09:04 PM
    I'm sorry, why are you guys buying into this?? The OP obviously just posted to get the response he's getting.. 950XL undoubtedly will/is the best phone MS has ever released and can match up with and in some areas surpass the iPhone 6 plus or Galaxy S6, but dude you just hang in there and wait for the Surface phone if you like but we'll be enjoying our 950XLs in the meantime lol...ciao
    libra89, StevoPhilo and JPDVM2014 like this.
    10-25-2015 10:30 PM
78 1234