Lumias are the new Surface RT, don't waste your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I've been reading all around and while doom is everywhere I look,, I'm seriously thinking of getting the 950XL! just not right away...

What I see now is a team whose yet again under a new leadership which is both good news and very bad news

The good news is that Joe -overexcited about tiles- Belfiore is gone, he clearly was unfit for the job and it showed every time he opened his mouth, he was so out of touch he didn't care to do market research about how people use their phones outside of the US, saying he didn't know people used Bluetooth to share files!

The bad news is that even though Panai is an amazing innovative guy who will probably save W10M later on, he doesn't believe in what he's selling and he has that look on his face that says don't buy this, this is the Surface RT in disguise (Which we know wasn't his idea BTW)

The situation then becomes like this, these phones are barely smartphones now, they have a huge app gap that is widening, they have beta features all around, and are basically going to be over shadowed by the Surface phone we all know is coming out of Panai's genius team.
So if you're going to drop premium for the best phone, don't let it be those but wait for the Surface phone

These Lumias are basically excellent cameras attached to a bad web browser you can't change and are both beta and under the threat of extension, no matter how big of a fan you are, you can't expect Microsoft to get better by allowing them to milk every last dollar you have on products they don't believe in, you're just angering yourselves that way.

Do what I'll do I'll wait for three months after their launch and see their price drop to what I think is fair for a point and shoot camera and then I'm grabbing them like candy with a more complete software and low expectations.

I truly lowered the bar for Microsoft to surprise us, also I'm a lot excited about that camera :)

Gabriel Olaru

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Edge works good on my lumia 630 and 640xl. Most of the things u wrote are just to do another topic ? Even if the name changes from Lumia to Surface the app gap will still be there. Belfiore took at time for his personal life, u can do that in every company ;) if u have kids u should know, here it is called unpaid vacation :) but after that time is over u come back at work .
And i don't understand what u want and what u say ?:)

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
I guess according to what u said nobody should buy the current flagship/?? Let the platform die??? And then you are still waiting for a surface phone? o_O . Nd Lumias are not just amazing cameras. Especially windows 10 mobile. Its got most of the features we were missing. And edge is not a bad web browser .. Give it time to hit RTM.
The price I guess its pretty okay compared to how apple sets the price of the iphones. I don't think u'll get an iris scanner,a great camera,and high end specs cheap out there anyway.

OutlawFirebird

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
These phones are just as good if not better than android and apple high end phones and have a decent price point.

As fare as a surface phone goes, its all just rumors, I Would not take any thing serious until there is actual Proof. If anything is true about it, its not aimed at the average consumer like us, but at business people. And would probably carry a 900 plus price tag. Again its all rumors until a actual release date and specs are released by Microsoft. I think at one point people were sure a Zune phone was coming out, but that never happened, until Microsoft says something official I wont take info on a phone that may or may not exist seriously.

GSOgymrat

May 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what the expectations are for a "Surface Phone." The 950 XL has a fast processor, hugely expandable memory, 515 PPI AMOLED display, removable battery, 20 megapixel camera, USB C, iris scanner, wireless charging, interchangeable casings and can turn itself into a computer... a flippin' computer! The 950 XL costs $650 and I paid $950 for an iPhone 6 Plus and almost $1000 for a Samsung Galaxy Note Edge, so I don't consider the 950 XL too expensive. The 950 XL has an app gap and Windows 10 Mobile is still not fully cooked but hardware won't fix that. I look forward to seeing exactly what Panai's Surface Phone will bring that will make the 950 XL obsolete, because I will surely buy it.

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site
I will definitely get the 950 XL on day one as I already pre ordered it the day they were announced. As for the "Surface Phone", so far that is nothing but a rumor, no solid announcement from Microsoft.

Last edited:

Ian Too

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I shall be buying a Lumia 950 or 950XL, because finally it will have everything that I've been waiting for and will render my iPod obsolete. Panos Panay aside, I've always loved my Lumias and the Lumia approach to a smartphone. I can also say that while it still needs some work, Windows 10 Mobile works very well on my Lumia 920, with text to speech being very impressive.

It will be very interesting to see what the Lumia team can achieve under Mr Panay, but it will have to be pretty radical before I consider moving. Also I'm not sure reinventing the smartphone will be at all simple, as I'm not convinced the smartphone sector is resting on its laurels the way the PC sector was.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Edge works good on my lumia 630 and 640xl. Most of the things u wrote are just to do another topic ? Even if the name changes from Lumia to Surface the app gap will still be there. Belfiore took at time for his personal life, u can do that in every company ;) if u have kids u should know, here it is called unpaid vacation :) but after that time is over u come back at work .
And i don't understand what u want and what u say ?:)

I think I'll ignore most of your arguments and speak on the one that is completely invalid which is Edge

Every browser works well, but that's not what we aim for, the less apps we have the more important the browsers become, Chrome isn't perfect sometimes it can't open certain websites, that's where having multiple browsers become EXTREMELY important as such website could be your Bank's website that didn't release an app for your WM10 phone yet/or ever?
Also I use Firefox in Android because it allows for plugins like Adblock which makes watching certain websites that are spammy and full of ads manageable.

The fact that you can't change your browser in WM10 is never a good thing, unless you're talking about security in which you might as well use a dumbphone if you're going to create security by closing options.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I guess according to what u said nobody should buy the current flagship/?? Let the platform die??? And then you are still waiting for a surface phone? o_O . Nd Lumias are not just amazing cameras. Especially windows 10 mobile. Its got most of the features we were missing. And edge is not a bad web browser .. Give it time to hit RTM.
The price I guess its pretty okay compared to how apple sets the price of the iphones. I don't think u'll get an iris scanner,a great camera,and high end specs cheap out there anyway.

I don't see why customers should take responsibility for the platforms success! I don't think that should be your job or mine!
I do believe in the Surface phone because A. it's got a brand that is well trusted, B. by the time it would be released the software would be a lot more complete, C. It would be Microsoft's final hurray into Windows Mobile (Seeing how Microsoft is about to launch a Dialer app for Android I wouldn't be surprised if the Surface phone was an Android phone!)

I don't see what missing features were added to WM10 beyond visual change and some drivers that should've been there to begin with (OTG), even Astoria will be scrapped apparently (Which isn't bad IPhone apps are better anyways)

IRIS scanners aren't better than fingerprint sensors by you'll have to try it yourself I guess.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
These phones are just as good if not better than android and apple high end phones and have a decent price point.

As fare as a surface phone goes, its all just rumors, I Would not take any thing serious until there is actual Proof. If anything is true about it, its not aimed at the average consumer like us, but at business people. And would probably carry a 900 plus price tag. Again its all rumors until a actual release date and specs are released by Microsoft. I think at one point people were sure a Zune phone was coming out, but that never happened, until Microsoft says something official I wont take info on a phone that may or may not exist seriously.

Yes, but this is how Microsoft operates, it releases a beta product and then says all the shortcomings will be fixed soon and then it leaks the next iteration and so on.

TheLumaniac

Jan 24, 2015
Visit site
I don't see why customers should take responsibility for the platforms success! I don't think that should be your job or mine!

I'm not sure if I should continue reading anything else you write.
Customers are the ones who can determine whether a platform is successful or not.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Well, I agree that the specs are good, but as you mention they never seem to pair both hardware and software successfully, I wouldn't brag about the phone becoming a computer just yet, also many android phones did that along time ago, It wasn't pretty but they actually had Mouse, keyboard and MHL a long time ago and they did all the things you're going to do now, I'm betting if multitasking between an app on TV and an app on the phone became a hit with W10 users Android would incorporate that in seconds.

Big companies do demand big money because they advertise more, Microsoft didn't even give the phones advertisement time in their own launch event :D.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure if I should continue reading anything else you write.
Customers are the ones who can determine whether a platform is successful or not.

Yes but they're not responsible for it, I mean it's not your fault the OS sucks for so many people, it's not your fault many people demand real multitasking, it's not your fault app developers do not like restrictive APIs that even Microsoft's own employees get fed up with sometimes (case and point: Skype team)

You're not RESPONSIBLE if Microsoft made money or not, you're responsible to share your experience with Microsoft and ask for better things and not the other way around where Microsoft asks for a better fan base!

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
Yes but they're not responsible for it, I mean it's not your fault the OS sucks for so many people, it's not your fault many people demand real multitasking, it's not your fault app developers do not like restrictive APIs that even Microsoft's own employees get fed up with sometimes (case and point: Skype team)

You're not RESPONSIBLE if Microsoft made money or not, you're responsible to share your experience with Microsoft and ask for better things and not the other way around where Microsoft asks for a better fan base!

Well if the OS sucks according to you you can just leave it and ... You know what everybody got their own opinions. Nobody forces you to stay on a platform. And about your previous posts about android being able to do the same as continuum. Ur totally wrong.. They were more like project my screen. Well windows 10 isn't bad at multitasking as you say either. It opens once opened apps without resuming screen even on a Lumia 625. Have you even tried the preview yet?? And yea if you do on which phone do you run it on?..

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Confused?? I know I am. The point about customers not making something a success? Surely that is ever company's dream? People buying your product is success. People keep banging on about app gap. Easy, go droid or crapple, where most apps in the stores are blatant copies of popular games etc.

Your opinions are yours, and yours alone. I read the thread thinking it would be something different...but as usual, it was the same old diatribe, full of I dislike this, MSFT are doing it all wrong, I want this and I want it now, they haven't added what I wanted so I am going to stamp my feet and criticize.

Don't like it? You know what to do. MSFT aren't. Forcing you to stay.

triageatdawn

May 31, 2015
Visit site
Oh, it's you again. If I want to spend my money on those Lumias that's none of your business, negative Nancy.
Apply for work at the BBC Weather if you can predict the future. I doubt Daniel is hiring fortune tellers here at Windows Central. :eek:rly:

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to buy a new Lumia, feel free to speak for yourself. I'm looking forward to these being reviewed and enjoyed. If everyone shared your opinion, and followed as you said, I would be scared to know how the future would be.

raycpl

Apr 6, 2013
Visit site
My next phone will, of course, a windows phone without a doubt. 950 or 950XL which ever is available in my region.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05