Lumias are the new Surface RT, don't waste your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Do you ever post something positive? Let people buy what they want. If anything I feel like the 950's are getting a lot of buzz from people OUTSIDE of the WM10 platform. I think this may be a big hit to get consumers on the phone. The problem is keeping them to stay which I hope Astoria and Islandwood will make that happen.

Also what is a Surface Phone? If it exists I don't plan on seeing that device for another year. Who knows what it does that makes it SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER than the 950 XL. No one knows what it is or what it does so why tell people to wait?

It'd be terrible to tell people to wait only to find out it never existed.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I kind of agree that Lumias are the new RT. I just say that because I think that anything ARM based will be a second class citizen for the MS ecosystem.

Once a phone comes out using an Intel processor, that enables the user to pretty much able to carry a fully functional PC in their pocket, ARM based Windows 10 phones will have far less appeal.

With that said, that may take a while before we really see the impact. With people owning their phones for just 2 years or so before replacing them, it may be okay to get a new Lumia for now. But that won't hold true next year. By then these real pocket PCs will begin picking up some steam and it wont make sense to go ARM on Windows.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
If they stop making Windows 10 mobile, then I would stop using Windows 10 devices all together. What would be the point of Universal Apps anymore. My Lumia 920 is dated. The Lumia 950XL can't come fast enough, it has everything I need.

CygnusOrion

Oct 6, 2015
Visit site
Do you ever post something positive? Let people buy what they want. If anything I feel like the 950's are getting a lot of buzz from people OUTSIDE of the WM10 platform. I think this may be a big hit to get consumers on the phone. The problem is keeping them to stay which I hope Astoria and Islandwood will make that happen.

Also what is a Surface Phone? If it exists I don't plan on seeing that device for another year. Who knows what it does that makes it SOOOOOO MUCH BETTER than the 950 XL. No one knows what it is or what it does so why tell people to wait?

Except if there isn't enough demand for Lumia phones the platform dies and nobody will ever again be able to buy this kind of device.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I kind of agree that Lumias are the new RT. I just say that because I think that anything ARM based will be a second class citizen for the MS ecosystem.

Once a phone comes out using an Intel processor, that enables the user to pretty much able to carry a fully functional PC in their pocket, ARM based Windows 10 phones will have far less appeal.

With that said, that may take a while before we really see the impact. With people owning their phones for just 2 years or so before replacing them, it may be okay to get a new Lumia for now. But that won't hold true next year. By then these real pocket PCs will begin picking up some steam and it wont make sense to go ARM on Windows.
Very valid points, I sort of wish ARM processing become the norm for Windows, but I guess legacy apps are always here to stay.

Iain_S

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I find this post kind of useless, The 950's are excellent phones with very good hardware and even some stuff that other phones don't have. Apps are a problem for some people yes, I myself don't have any issue with that. The edge browser is actually working very good in the latest insider build and now syncs all your favorites across the platform. If I need to go to a place that does not have an app I use edge, not really a big deal for me. I don't play games on my phone either. With all that being said these 2 phones are still Nokia designs and most likely will be the last Lumia flagships to carry on with this design. We all know the new hardware team are currently working on new devices, whether they will continue to use Lumia or Surface we don't know yet. Even if the next phone is intel based, of which I'm pretty confident it will be, with hardware that is beyond what is currently being used it will NOT run a full windows 10, there will be more universal apps by that point and you will have version 2 of continuum. These new phones will not be cheap, I'm betting over $1000 at least and be geared more towards enterprise customers but at the same time being sold unlocked via ms. I don't think you will see anything more with carriers and ms, these phones will only be sold via business channels and ms stores.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Well if the OS sucks according to you you can just leave it and ... You know what everybody got their own opinions. Nobody forces you to stay on a platform. And about your previous posts about android being able to do the same as continuum. Ur totally wrong.. They were more like project my screen. Well windows 10 isn't bad at multitasking as you say either. It opens once opened apps without resuming screen even on a Lumia 625. Have you even tried the preview yet?? And yea if you do on which phone do you run it on?..
I did leave it! I use my Lumia as a camera now and I'm using Android as my main phone, this is Windows Central and not Windows 10 Mobile central

As for continuum, it's true but at least they supported Bluetooth keyboards and Mices and you could've used them as PCs for web browsing and even Google Docs, the fact that you can run two separate apps in Continuum isn't a very big deal, specially that I can do that on my phone without any extra screens, I also have the pleasure of multitasking bubbles that don't interrupt my work much like minimized windows, Android is a better Windows than Windows.

Yes, I have tried preview
No, I didn't try it on the 640 because it was a midrange phone and not an upgrade to my Lumia 1520.
Yes Resume OS could get better but it hasn't changed significantly except in the usual way where they made a huge change to the code and you have to "wait" and be "patient" for it to work.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Confused?? I know I am. The point about customers not making something a success? Surely that is ever company's dream? People buying your product is success. People keep banging on about app gap. Easy, go droid or crapple, where most apps in the stores are blatant copies of popular games etc.

Your opinions are yours, and yours alone. I read the thread thinking it would be something different...but as usual, it was the same old diatribe, full of I dislike this, MSFT are doing it all wrong, I want this and I want it now, they haven't added what I wanted so I am going to stamp my feet and criticize.

Don't like it? You know what to do. MSFT aren't. Forcing you to stay.

Are you saying that all of the gadget you own, all the banks you deal with and all of your work related equipment have compatible apps for Windows 10 Mobile? are you saying you have all the popular social apps up to date and ready? are you saying that you have better apps on Windows 10 Mobile than those on other smartphones? I see hating on Android for problems it actually has but I can't understand how Android apps suddenly became less or equal to Windows 10 Mobile apps!

As for my opinions are mine part, I seemed to have discovered that on my own, but I'm free to them such as yourself, like if you said " easy go droid or crapple" I wouldn't say that your own opinion and you shouldn't say stuff like that and you're being too immature to realize that billions of people use one of these operating systems you are bad mouthing.

The facts remain the same Lumias are now glorified cameras with basic telephony attached to them "STILL CAN'T EDIT A PHONE NUMBER AFTER YOU DIALLED IT REALLY?"

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Oh, it's you again. If I want to spend my money on those Lumias that's none of your business, negative Nancy.
Apply for work at the BBC Weather if you can predict the future. I doubt Daniel is hiring fortune tellers here at Windows Central. :eek:rly:
I have no problem with you buying these phones, its an advice after all, I actually loved the camera demo, and I too will buy these phones only months later when their price reflect their worth in my own opinion.
Also Daniel Rubino won't hire fortune tellers? that's too bad for me then :D

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm going to buy a new Lumia, feel free to speak for yourself. I'm looking forward to these being reviewed and enjoyed. If everyone shared your opinion, and followed as you said, I would be scared to know how the future would be.

Well it's great that no one is stupid enough to follow every advice they hear, then I wouldn't know what the future would look like!

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
My next phone will, of course, a windows phone without a doubt. 950 or 950XL which ever is available in my region.
I'm glad you are sticking to your guns, I would say your next phone would be a Windows 10 Mobile and it'll probably not make it to your region very soon seeing how that became a trend for Lumia flagships of the past and I'm truly wishing Microsoft solved that problem this time around.

Nabkawe5

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

Yeah the hardware part has always been good, software was always Achilles' heel for Windows Phone new comers, specially since it missed every major social app until that app became unpopular and I'm thinking WP lost all of it's youth base when it couldn't get snapchat to budge and make a WP app

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Where oh where has my little dog gone. We really need something positive to happen to Win Mobile to disperse this negative trend. Its getting where its very depressing to even get on Windows Central. I wish I knew of something positive I could insert into the conversation. Ever since the brush off of the Nokia purchase its been a long slide down. I thought the 640 was a good move; but it looks like it did not help the sales situation. Can anything help? If you have something positive you can insert please do.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Are you saying that all of the gadget you own, all the banks you deal with and all of your work related equipment have compatible apps for Windows 10 Mobile? are you saying you have all the popular social apps up to date and ready? are you saying that you have better apps on Windows 10 Mobile than those on other smartphones? I see hating on Android for problems it actually has but I can't understand how Android apps suddenly became less or equal to Windows 10 Mobile apps!

As for my opinions are mine part, I seemed to have discovered that on my own, but I'm free to them such as yourself, like if you said " easy go droid or crapple" I wouldn't say that your own opinion and you shouldn't say stuff like that and you're being too immature to realize that billions of people use one of these operating systems you are bad mouthing.

The facts remain the same Lumias are now glorified cameras with basic telephony attached to them "STILL CAN'T EDIT A PHONE NUMBER AFTER YOU DIALLED IT REALLY?"
I don't do 'social' apps. I have real friends, albiet only 4 or 5 truly real friends, I have thousands of acquaintances though. I dont need twitter to massage my ego or share my working life, and have many followers. I am not a follower, no twitter for me.

As for the 'billions' of people using these OS, maybe they should step back and look at exactly what they are getting? How many times can crapple keep milking the market with 3 or 4 identical device, save for different colours and a slightly bigger screen, that bends.

How many times can Samdung do the Same? Galaxy s6, edge, egde xl, dual edge etc. Consequently, I consider myself to be 'More' mature because I have the ABILITY to make my OWN mind up and not be led like sheep into thinking that the latest device, which is inevitably just a small upgrade over the last model to save development costs to a minimum, and blow a large sum of money on something, especially droid, that won't have any support or upgrades when the new fashion statement arrives. High end devices are basically selling you a lifestyle, so if people want to spend a shed load of money on the flagship iBone or Galaxy, it' not because it's the best device, it's the one they want to be seen with, the one they can big up to their mates. They are NOT mobiles, they are fashion items where sheep are convinced to buy them with clever marketing and product placement in the coolest of music videos.....

Yes, I have to agree that Lumia is an odd design. I am a believer that the 950/950 xl have had to be released in part, to recover the development costs. Anything above that is a bonus. I firmly see it as a stop gap to something bigger.

Can I have another immature quote pls??? I have seen this from all three major OS's over the years.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Where oh where has my little dog gone. We really need something positive to happen to Win Mobile to disperse this negative trend. Its getting where its very depressing to even get on Windows Central. I wish I knew of something positive I could insert into the conversation. Ever since the brush off of the Nokia purchase its been a long slide down. I thought the 640 was a good move; but it looks like it did not help the sales situation. Can anything help? If you have something positive you can insert please do.
I though all of this negativity was behind me when I left all the ******** and whining on XDA where I cooked roms.

I thought this was a more mature forum for people who thought outside the box, with independant minds, like minded people who didn't follow the herd to the knackers yard. People, who despite the laughter from other OS's, have persisted in the face of adversity. In our house / business, we have 4x640, 2x640xl, 1x 435, 1x 535, 1x 635, 1x 930 and my old favourite, my 1320! The 640's get used in our taxi business. The drivers love the simplicity and the fact that one drive works all the time, so they open their folders and they see their pre booked jobs.

Yes, the 640 did seem to miss the boat. A lot of device for the money. The 640xl should also have been a hit. Don't remember seeing any ads for it in the UK.

Still, new devices have to be good news. They just need to market it properly, pushing the continuum feature.

Come on people. Cut the negative bull, and discuss what matters. If you don't like WP, there's the door, don't let it hit you on the butt on the way out!

707wpfan

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I guess according to what u said nobody should buy the current flagship/?? Let the platform die??? And then you are still waiting for a surface phone? o_O . Nd Lumias are not just amazing cameras. Especially windows 10 mobile. Its got most of the features we were missing. And edge is not a bad web browser .. Give it time to hit RTM.
The price I guess its pretty okay compared to how apple sets the price of the iphones. I don't think u'll get an iris scanner,a great camera,and high end specs cheap out there anyway.

It's this same logic, repeatedly, that is screwing windows phone fans......specs,specs specs, yes they are very nice but the casual buyer doesn't give a ship.
Get better commercials for the masses, get rid of pompous belfiore and this attitude that they're so rockstar cool everyone will have to see it, because they don't.
Get the apps!!! People on sites need to be honest about the app gap.
what's more valuable throwing money at the NFL or paying top developers to get apps for your mobile OS.
If they could get the Minecraft guy to sell out to Microsoft they can get developers for mobile besides Rudy, if they cared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos