Lumias are the new Surface RT, don't waste your money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I am buying a 950 and a 950 xl as soon as they are available around here. Off contract, straight up. 950xl for me, 950 for my wife. We just got 2 surface 3 tablets and love them!

mtiede

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
I am considering the same thing. Just not positive if I want the large 950xl or the smaller 950. Same issue for the wife.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft always had a shiny future and a beta present so that intel and laptop stuff is kind of sad in itself, I would say that if Microsoft could figure out how to use both a mid range ARM and a high end Intel chip in the same phone, that would create the effect of the surface book basically, and it'll be truly a swiss army knife of both a connected PC and a battery friendly phone.

As for the something different part, we didn't need an action center we kept saying we want interactive tiles or a left home screen for notifications instead we got stuck with an Android themed notification center it wasn't even as good as Android's version! even the whole look and feel of Windows 10 Mobile is very close to what an ICS Android looked like back in 2010, Windows 10 Mobile is probably Microsoft's Symbian Bell OS (Look it up)

Everything is stolen, reprocessed and relayed as a new product. The continuum dock is something that makes this phone differentiate it's self from all the cloned and emulated devices.

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Look at M'apple, they can make the iPhone with the S series features and scrap the S series. Iphone has everything laid out and cut it in half and produce two devices, not including the tablets, people eat it up and buy the phones.

Droid has its S series which I saw as the S series of iphone, the Note is what I saw as the main phone. Now the S series has a plus addition and an active series. It's getting out of hand.

Make a phone that can handle anything a company can throw at it. When new hardware is needed because of insufficient memory, produce a new line with the features we love and want to keep with new hardware.

If MSFT can install Win 10 on older phones, why can't android and iphone do the same(granted there are some devices that can't handle Win 10 because of hardware but MSFT is getting to a work around).

Joshwin

Jan 31, 2015
Visit site
many services I use that are complete disasters on WP

Don't abandon the ship before even it is out in the sea. I mean w10M is not yet released just give it some time.No one can predict the future of any technology.only time will decide.You can't just claim that lumias will be surface rt without any base.lumia could become very successful value phones along with "surface phones" . May be WP is not the right choice for you, you can just choose whatever platform you like not a big deal. its just a phone. but stop asking people to not to buy lumia. they know what is best for them just like you do. I know many people they still consider android as just a refreshed crummy old Symbian phones. nothing new or innovative and nothing exciting but they don't go and say "dont waste your money on android".

I am pretty sure the app gap will vanish very soon once w10m and w10 settle down. W10M has EVERY quality to be the smartest smartphone now. it is the future of technology.No matter how many apps you have on android it is still just a phone and to me its just a toy, but w10m is a miniPC running robust universal apps and running PC apps hell it will be a full pc soon while android can run just phone apps. people already started realizing its true potency, and many of my android using frds(mostly fanboys) are going to buy 950, some have already bought 640xl. so why are the hate speeches and FUDs before the final release of the hardware and w10m?. until then we need to stop spreading FUDs and also ignore them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Oh and one more thing. WinRt was announced at the same time as PRO. You were given the choice and everyone in tech knew winRT would get nowhere. You sacrificed future support by going the cheaper route. It's the choice people made. It was pretty obvious it would not be supported but was simply there to fill a gap for those who can't afford something better.

tale 85

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site
These phones are just as good if not better than android and apple high end phones and have a decent price point.

As fare as a surface phone goes, its all just rumors, I Would not take any thing serious until there is actual Proof. If anything is true about it, its not aimed at the average consumer like us, but at business people. And would probably carry a 900 plus price tag. Again its all rumors until a actual release date and specs are released by Microsoft. I think at one point people were sure a Zune phone was coming out, but that never happened, until Microsoft says something official I wont take info on a phone that may or may not exist seriously.

And after the Surface Book "Surprise!" I'm not expecting a lot of "leaks" or "renders" from the Surface group.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty sure the app gap will vanish very soon once w10m and w10 settle down. W10M has EVERY quality to be the smartest smartphone now. it is the future of technology.No matter how many apps you have on android it is still just a phone and to me its just a toy, but w10m is a miniPC running robust universal apps and running PC apps hell it will be a full pc soon while android can run just phone apps.

I'll buy the 950 XL, and I'm sure I'll enjoy the hell out of it. But posts like yours make me roll my eyes so far back into my head that I nearly pass out.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
There are many browsers in the Windows Phone store and even though Opera Mini has a 2.6 rating, it's not a different browser because it actually uses Internet Explorer to render pages and then applies it's changes to it, and that's then not a real change if your problem with the browser to begin with, is the rendering part.
Opera Mini is NOT a wrapper like UC Browser. Get your facts straight.

Citizen X

May 11, 2013
Visit site
The situation then becomes like this, these phones are barely smartphones now...

You posted this the same month MSFT demonstrated Continuum.

Here are some of the things I do on my "nonsmartphone"...

Hulu
Netflix
Whatsapp international texts and phone calls for $1/year
Skype international voice and video calls
weather app
Free global GPS with downloadable maps
watch podcasts
view and do light editing of MS Office docs

Honestly it is hard to come up with a list because I use so much of this stuff it is second nature. I don't even realize I'm using it.

Which apps are missing...

My bank doesn't have an app
many medical apps
gas station payment app

The problem with the app gap is there are a bunch of apps you use once or twice a month but when you need them you need them. But to say the phone is hardly a smartphone is a bit much.

Anyway it doesn't matter to me. I'm on contract so I need to get a new phone when my contract is up. It doesn't make sense for me to wait around 8, 9, 10 months paying my monthly charges waiting for a surface phone. By the time a Surface phone hits the market, is widely available, and has a decent sale price I will be through a year on my contract. It's not like the app ecosystem is going to change dramatically for a Surface Phone nor older devices. Remember even if a Surface Phone has mind blowingly awesome sales it will still be outnumbered by legacy devices. And a Surface Phone will be a premium device. It won't be flying off the shelves in third world countries where low end Windows Phones have done decently.

DoctorSaline

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
There are many browsers in the Windows Phone store and even though Opera Mini has a 2.6 rating, it's not a different browser because it actually uses Internet Explorer to render pages and then applies it's changes to it, and that's then not a real change if your problem with the browser to begin with, is the rendering part.

No. Opera mini uses its own cloud based rendering engine that also compresses the web pages for lesser data consumption. And is not based on IE rendering engine.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I'm sorry, why are you guys buying into this?? The OP obviously just posted to get the response he's getting.. 950XL undoubtedly will/is the best phone MS has ever released and can match up with and in some areas surpass the iPhone 6 plus or Galaxy S6, but dude you just hang in there and wait for the Surface phone if you like but we'll be enjoying our 950XLs in the meantime lol...ciao

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
--Can't spell "Panay."
--Thinks Belfiore's time off to travel with family means he's no longer with the company.
--Judges launch software quality by beta software quality.
--Doesn't draw any real logical parallels between Lumias and Surface RT.

Nope, this isn't absurd at all.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It looks like all possible angles of this topic have already been discussed. Therefore, this thread is now closed.

Thank you for your participation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99