11-19-2015 07:10 PM
63 123
tools
    Every year a new phone with higher specs will come out :) you cannot simply wait for the perfect one as there won't be. Don't bet on something that you do not know for sure that will exist and when: Surface phone. Want a new phone? With that deal you have in NL, go get it :) what are you waiting for?
    Ruben de Boer and editguy like this.
    10-28-2015 08:40 AM
    I was going to to post a similar thread but I'll just post my question here so I won't clog up the boards:

In the his latest Ask Dan Windows video, he said something to the effect that the 950/XL feel more like Nokia devices and that MS has newer/better things planned for the future. So with that in mind, should I wait for "true" Windows Phone or go with the 950?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Ruben de Boer likes this.
    10-28-2015 11:21 AM
    I'd just wait another couple months for the 950XL. In the interim, I picked up an unlocked 640XL, which will either be a backup phone or go to a relative once I get the 950XL. Runs very well on latest build. Surface Phone is but a pipe dream at this point. However, M$ might pull another HoloLens bomb on us again. "Hey world, we've been developing this badass phone for the past 5 years. It does everything except bring you coffee."
    Ruben de Boer and editguy like this.
    10-28-2015 04:20 PM
    So with that in mind, should I wait for "true" Windows Phone or go with the 950?
    Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    Depends on what you have got now and how long can you wait. As others have already said: there will be new phones every year, all with better specs than the previous one's. I now think that it will take a while before the Surface phone will be launched so I'm taking the 950 XL now. Than in about 6 months to a year I'll skip the first Surface phone (which may not be perfect as it's the first generation. Maybe it will also be a hard to get test device like the band 1). After about two years I might take the Surface phone 2 which has been perfected. But that's over two years, who knows how much everything will have changed.
    libra89 and the_moesiah like this.
    10-29-2015 04:40 AM
    I would get the 950/xl. The surface phone is a rumor right now. that being said, there was an interview with panos the other day and the author saw a phone sized device being milled in the ms building. hmmmm.
    Ruben de Boer likes this.
    10-29-2015 05:24 AM
    I think the surface phone will be phone with quite big display (due to battery size) the performance will be quite bad (due to low voltage CPU like atom) and battery life will be quite bad. it will however be able to run x86 or x64 apps, but only when docked (they said something about advanced continuum)... So I think the 950XL is a better choice

However I believe that it will be packaged in magnesium, and possibly with a type cover and a kickstand... so it should be quite nice...
    11-01-2015 12:35 PM
    I already decided to get Lumia 950 XL to replace my ATIV S!

I thought about waiting for the unannounced Surface Phone witch won't be out till Q2 2016 after #build 2016# where Microsoft releases 3 cheaper Atom based Surface products.

-Surface 4 10" "non-Pro"
    -Surface Mini 8"
    -Surface Phone 6"

Surface Phone is Intel Atom "Goldmont" based with 4GB of RAM but will be a cheaper product then Lumia 950 & 950 XL flagship product's.

Or wait for Q3 August 2016 when Microsoft releases Windows 10.1 "Redstone" along with Lumia 960 & 960 XL "Snapdragon 820" and 4K display oh yeah its coming out but August 2016 is still along ways away.

Microsoft will have two phone product lines.

-Surface Phone "Intel Atom based"

-Lumia "Qualcomm Snapdragon based"

What do you want? Atom or Snapdragon?
    Last edited by travisel; 11-01-2015 at 02:11 PM.
    11-01-2015 01:59 PM
    I agree, I posted in another thread days ago it would add to the Surface line; Surface Book, Surface Pro Tablet and Surface Phone. I'd guess a 6" display with a stylus.
    11-01-2015 03:18 PM
    Personally, I'd like to see MS reward the enthusiasts who are buying these 950/XL handsets (because, let's face it, we're the only ones left and there aren't many of us). I think it would be awesome that IF (and that's a big if) there's actually a Surface phone in the works that they offer an upgrade or trade-in program. I hope that doesn't come off as selfish (because I really don't mean it that way).
    11-01-2015 03:31 PM
    Personally, I'd like to see MS reward the enthusiasts who are buying these 950/XL handsets (because, let's face it, we're the only ones left and there aren't many of us). I think it would be awesome that IF (and that's a big if) there's actually a Surface phone in the works that they offer an upgrade or trade-in program. I hope that doesn't come off as selfish (because I really don't mean it that way).
    They have a trade-in program for the surface 3 -> 4 so I don't see that as being too outlandish of a wish/want.
    11-01-2015 05:04 PM
    I'm going with the 950 I think (XL is still on the table, as well) and AT&T's NEXT plan so I can upgrade to the Surface phone next year if need be.
    11-01-2015 05:34 PM
    The waiting game is forever. Don't deprive yourself for the enjoyment.
    John M Beauchemin and libra89 like this.
    11-01-2015 05:55 PM
    I'm going with the 950 I think (XL is still on the table, as well) and AT&T's NEXT plan so I can upgrade to the Surface phone next year if need be.
    The NEXT plan isn't necessary to change phones. In fact it takes away options. If you just buy your phone, you can sell it any time you want a new phone or a new carrier. On the flip side, a carrier may never offer a particular phone and the Next plan has restrictions on when you use it. Best case if all the stars align just right, you end up paying just as much. And of course they rarely do, so you end up paying more because the phone you want isn't available when you want - if ever.
    jsooney likes this.
    11-01-2015 06:51 PM
    950XL I'm getting now! I'm not Waiting to Exhale
    editguy likes this.
    11-01-2015 07:00 PM
    I'd say buy the phone that actually exists.
    editguy likes this.
    11-01-2015 07:11 PM
    Surface phone is a long way away.

Microsoft claim the company plans to launch at least two flagship smartphones next year, which will be equipped with Qualcomm's powerful Snapdragon 820 chipset.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/micro...6-495598.shtml
    11-01-2015 07:14 PM
    Purchase the 950xl and if or when there is a surface phone sell the 950xl on swappa or glyde and buy the surface phone. I don't understand settling for a lesser phone like the 550 . There is another option purchase a acer jade primo that way you get continuum and a dock then hope and pray that the rumors of a surface phone are true
    11-01-2015 07:23 PM
    They have a trade-in program for the surface 3 -> 4
    Do they give you more or less than you could sell it for?
    11-01-2015 08:42 PM
    Best case if all the stars align just right, you end up paying just as much. And of course they rarely do, so you end up paying more because the phone you want isn't available when you want - if ever.
    Sorry, I don't understand. You can put down 30%, set your monthly phone payment rate to a year, and in a year whether you decide to get a replacement phone or not, your phone is paid off. It doesn't cost you any more money. So, worst case scenario is after a year your phone is paid off and your monthly bill drops down to the same rate it would be if you had bought the phone outright.

Unless there is some hidden cost I'm not aware of, or some aspect to the NEXT plan I'm not comprehending?
    oditius likes this.
    11-01-2015 11:14 PM
    Smartphones are getting increasingly more capable as the years move on, months even. Days.
    11-02-2015 02:29 AM
    Do they give you more or less than you could sell it for?
    Not sure..haven't really done the research since I don't have a SP3 to trade..I just read about it. But for people who hate dealing with people in general (like me) then it's infinitely more than I could sell it for since I'd never bother trying to sell it on my own :p
    11-02-2015 06:14 PM
    The NEXT plan isn't necessary to change phones. In fact it takes away options. If you just buy your phone, you can sell it any time you want a new phone or a new carrier. On the flip side, a carrier may never offer a particular phone and the Next plan has restrictions on when you use it. Best case if all the stars align just right, you end up paying just as much. And of course they rarely do, so you end up paying more because the phone you want isn't available when you want - if ever.
    I agree. The Next plan is the dumbest plan ever.
    11-02-2015 06:31 PM
    Uh oh. Don't throw down that sort of gauntlet. Now some carrier is going to have to try to beat it.
    11-02-2015 08:59 PM
    Uh oh. Don't throw down that sort of gauntlet. Now some carrier is going to have to try to beat it.
    Explain, please. I'm changing my current unlimited plan which I've had for a decade now and costs waaaay too much money when I get the 950 so if it's a crappy plan, I want to know why, exactly.
    11-02-2015 09:09 PM
    My guess, & it's only just a guess...

Upon acquiring NOKIA, MSFT entered into NOKIA phone production that was either
    1: already committed to in the planning, design, and manufacturing stage,
    And/or
    2: made a pre-arranged agreement to complete that last wave of NOKIA phones under the guise of the NOKIA purchase.

I suppose Ballmer should chime in with some of the rhetoric of that acquisition.

Now...
    As we see the birth & growth of the Surface line, one can only imagine the potential of MSFT imagination, design, and resource reach that could make capable a rather nice possible Surface Phone.

Odds are to me that MSFT created the Surface phone line.
    Continuum is a nice tool to have when attempting to design the next best idea.

Final guess :
    MSFT makes the Surface phone line.
    travisel likes this.
    11-03-2015 12:57 AM
63 123