01-16-2016 09:46 PM
1,799 ... 1213141516 ...
tools
    U missed his point....he was not worried about the next big thing.....he is worried about the next big thing for MS always being in "beta"....
    TheBadGuy_88 likes this.
    11-11-2015 07:54 AM
    With Wirth's Law theoretically cancelling out any benefits of Moore's Law, we'd technically be content using our old Tandys and Commodores, and wouldn't be pestered at all moments away from the PC.
    11-11-2015 08:15 AM
    U missed his point....he was not worried about the next big thing.....he is worried about the next big thing for MS always being in "beta"....
    If people haven't noticed, this is changing. MS Band 1 was a beta, yes, but that was made known from the beginning. The Band 2 is no beta. Surface Pro 4 and Surfacebook aren't beta.

Before, everything seemed to be decided by committee. MS now has someone at the helm of devices that knows how to deliver.

True the 950s were started before he took over, but they were finished by his team. These will not be Beta devices.
    mkenyon2 and Hoekie like this.
    11-11-2015 08:15 AM
    Pre-order for the 950XL opened in Hong Kong's Microsoft online store yesterday and I immediately placed my order for a white one. Apparently they will ship around 27th this month. Can't wait to get it to replace my 1520.

While everyone hoped that pre-order extra goodies would be the Continuum Dock but here it comes in the form of a Microsoft Universal Foldable Keyboard and, much more interestingly, a Jack Spade branded phone case (not sure if it is a full case or a replacement cover) said to have a combined value of about 150 USD. Jack Spade is a fashion brand that makes some pretty nice high end leather cases for iPhones, so if Microsoft got more of these fashion concious accessory guys to make cases for the 950 this could really help with spicing up the plain design of the phone.
    Musicman247, 920Walker and jmajid like this.
    11-11-2015 10:25 AM
    Wow! Getting the keyboard would be a great bonus. It would allow you to connect wirelessly to everything for the continuum experience.
    11-11-2015 10:59 AM
    Wow! Getting the keyboard would be a great bonus. It would allow you to connect wirelessly to everything for the continuum experience.
    Yeah originally I didn't think too much of it, but after rethinking about it the keyboard would actually be a great piece of kit for me when I travel as I have a both an iPad and a Xperia Z4 Tablet which I could use with that keyboard. I already have a Miracast adaptor so the dock is less important to me.
    11-11-2015 11:14 AM
    I would love to see a Band or Band 2 come with one of the phones. Or even at a discount.
    Babs75 likes this.
    11-11-2015 12:07 PM
    I almost bought an iPhone 6s+ 2-3 times the past couple of weeks. I want a 950xl alot but I'm really weary of paying thousands of dollars to beta test Microsoft products. From the original surface pro (which I love and still use but am tired of) the Lumia 920, the 1520 ( which I've had for the better part of 2 years) the hd7, I've been in a perpetual beta, and "this next phone will be the one" cycle for sooo long and it's frankly exhausting. Now to buy this phone KNOWING that panos hasn't had a chance to really put his imagination on what a next gen phone really is made of. Makes me feel like I'm putting my money into ANOTHER beta/ placeholder device. Sighs the life of a windows lover I guess. Thanks Ballmer. 🙍🏾
    Been using a 6S+ for a week until the 950XL. I already have my 950XL preordered and was trying out the iPhone. Apple has came a long ways since the last time I have used an iPhone (3G) so it's been a welcome change. Everything just works and just so smooth and the apps are ten times better integrated than they are on Windows.

My moment of truth will be tonight when I go to Microsoft Device Night here and get to play with the 950 and 950XL's (if they bring them) and see if I return my iPhone and wait for the 950XL or keep it and just use Microsoft services on my iPhone.
    libra89 and TheBadGuy_88 like this.
    11-11-2015 03:21 PM
    So excited! I'm a little nervous about my switch from Verizon to AT&T though. Been with Verizon for almost 14 years. If the 950 isn't a good reason to switch though I'm not sure what is.
    Bartdog likes this.
    11-11-2015 09:35 PM
    COMING SOON!! (att.com)

249140-coming-soon-microsoft-lumia950.jpg
    Captpt, libra89 and Bartdog like this.
    11-11-2015 10:20 PM
    So I think something is up. Came to the Microsoft Device Night event and they have:

1. Surface Book
    2. Surface Pro 3
    3. Surface Pro 4
    4. Lumia 950

No 950XL anywhere. We "possibly" have a date for the 950 on AT&T and other sites but none for the XL and no sighting at their own event in Los Angeles. What's up with that?

The 950 while good is small to me coming from an 1520 so what the heck. Microsoft pushing my emotions.

Edit: They just said the units they have on 950XL had unstable software and they are not planning to sell them in States except via Microsoft stores unlocked. I'm guessing no carriers picked up the XL and only have picked up the 950's.

This is from Microsoft Device Night event.
    Last edited by ALpHa.Q.RoUgH; 11-11-2015 at 10:56 PM.
    TheBadGuy_88 and libra89 like this.
    11-11-2015 10:40 PM
    So I think something is up. Came to the Microsoft Device Night event and they have:

1. Surface Book
    2. Surface Pro 3
    3. Surface Pro 4
    4. Lumia 950

No 950XL anywhere. We "possibly" have a date for the 950 on AT&T and other sites but none for the XL and no sighting at their own event in Los Angeles. What's up with that?

The 950 while good is small to me coming from an 1520 so what the heck. Microsoft pushing my emotions.

Edit: They just said the units they have on 950XL had unstable software and they are not planning to sell them in States except via Microsoft stores unlocked. I'm guessing no carriers picked up the XL and only have picked up the 950's.

This is from Microsoft Device Night event.
    I'm pretty confused right now.... "unstable software"? Are they running Sailfish or something?
    11-11-2015 11:06 PM
    I'm pretty confused right now.... "unstable software"? Are they running Sailfish or something?
    From what I gathered whatever software they was running on them were "glitchy" and thus they didn't want to have them out for people to use and be disappointed. It's confusing to me as well because they had a bunch of 950's. So unless they are talking about like Windows Hello or something else they should be running the same stuff.

Anyways, they had no 950 XL's present, supposedly only Microsoft is selling them and they won't be back in stores to try out until the day they are ready to be sold. Color me confused as well.
    11-11-2015 11:51 PM
    So they aren't ready, don't want us to have them, but want to sell them to us still via the Microsoft store?
    11-12-2015 12:09 AM
    So they aren't ready, don't want us to have them, but want to sell them to us still via the Microsoft store?
    So to narrow the scope since I was typing quickly as I heard the information.

Microsoft Device Night

1. Microsoft Lumia 950's are present there was at least 12 present at the event.

2. A question was asked by an attendee asking about the availability of the 950XL and why they weren't present.

3. The response/answer was that the software was glitchy and the didn't want to bring them, hence the reason why they wasn't present at the event.

4. A question was asked availability of the 950XL and support from other carriers.

5. The response was that they are still working with Sprint/T-Mobile. He said that the 950XL (when available) will be sold in the Microsoft store only as it's more of an international phone.

6. The question was asked about when the phones will back back in stores to play with/ have a demo unit.

7. The response was that for the 950XL they won't be in the stores until the day of release.

SideNote: This is a guy at a Microsoft Device Night event and is probably not a high up employee like Satya and them.

In response to #5, in my opinion it sounds like nobody is picking up the 950XL as far as carriers hence the reason why he said only Microsoft stores will be selling them. It looks like an international only device which will be sold here only in Microsoft stores due to them carrying everything and they will be sold unlocked to work on most carriers (maybe minus Verizon?)

This also probably explain the reason why we have only heard the 950 having a release date from AT&T and not the XL model.

Hopefully, this clarifies anything with a little of my opinion at the bottom.
    11-12-2015 01:33 AM
    Demo units that probably came off the factory floor a few weeks ago won't have the latest OS so it's going to be glitchy, nothing unusual about that. Heck the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 review units they gave to the reviewers weren't completely ready either, this is entirely normal.
    editguy likes this.
    11-12-2015 01:36 AM
    Demo units that probably came off the factory floor a few weeks ago won't have the latest OS so it's going to be glitchy, nothing unusual about that. Heck the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 review units they gave to the reviewers weren't completely ready either, this is entirely normal.
    I get what you're saying, but isn't the 950/950XL running the same software?
    jmajid likes this.
    11-12-2015 01:53 AM
    Yes, which is weird why they didn't have them but had multiple 950's. I'm guessing he meant with maybe Windows Hello or something. Who knows he was being vague.
    11-12-2015 02:16 AM
    I just can't wait until we can order them! I'm going to clear my credit cards to prepare to buy one!
    libra89 likes this.
    11-12-2015 04:00 AM
    My moment of truth will be tonight when I go to Microsoft Device Night here and get to play with the 950 and 950XL's (if they bring them) and see if I return my iPhone and wait for the 950XL or keep it and just use Microsoft services on my iPhone.
    So how do you feel after using the 950?
    What were your impressions?
    Did you get to demo windows hello?
    What build was on the 950?
    Did it snap you out of iPhone nirvana?
    Did you feel like you made the right choice going iOS?
    Overall thoughts?
    Fill us in on the phone!
    libra89 likes this.
    11-12-2015 04:16 AM
    Probably not actually, since we all know that each device gets their own device specific firmware/build of the OS, so it could very well be that the 950XL has specific issues that aren't present in the 950.
    editguy likes this.
    11-12-2015 04:22 AM
    So how do you feel after using the 950?
    What were your impressions?
    Did you get to demo windows hello?
    What build was on the 950?
    Did it snap you out of iPhone nirvana?
    Did you feel like you made the right choice going iOS?
    Overall thoughts?
    Fill us in on the phone!
    Impressions of the 950 were good. I'm not a fan of the small device as like mentioned before I would be coming from a 1520. Didn't check the build on it; forgot to do that, but I would guess the latest build it was too much stuff happening.

The camera worked great, it's very clear and most of the apps were working. Edge crashed on me on one demo. Windows Hello were not on any of the devices present, not to say it not on the device but they probably wanted quick access to phone.

They only had the black models at the event, they showed off continuum with miracast and with a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse. It's a nice size device thicker than an iPhone.

About my current iPhone nirvana lol, unfortunately I still favor my iPhone. Just found out I can automatically upload all my pictures taken to OneDrive, all my Microsoft Apps are here and working properly (OneNote, PowerPoint, OneDrive) group messages sync better and apps are full and complete etc, etc. I have until the 21st to return my iPhone so unless something develops with the 950XL I will probably keep my iPhone. iOS to me is not a choice as most people claim as to me everything just works and is easy and accessible. Maybe because everything is integrated and first party instead of sort-of integrated on Windows and third-party (6tag, 4th & mayor, Metrotube). Off-topic but one thing that kind of got me staying is that I bought an Apple Watch to try out with my iPhone to get the "full experience" and I liked how my iPhone was on 10% and I was able to transfer my phone call from my phone to my watch and continue it while my phone charged.

So to conclude, many people will be happy with the 950 and Windows 10. If any of you guys have used the preview builds they have improved on a lot of things. In some regards it's better than Windows 8.1, I do find some of the aesthetic choices bad but that's another debate. But the camera works fast, one unified store, mail is now all unified like my iPhone instead of separate like it was on 8.1. The only thing I hate compared to my iPhone that I still hate is that to edit photos I have to switch over to Lumia Creative Studio, I still find that annoying. 950 will be a success for Windows fans it's a step in the right direction and improvement from the 920/1020 crowd but it's kind of meh for me who fall in the 1520 crowd. Continuum if you are into that type of thing will be great.
    11-12-2015 05:02 AM
    Probably not actually, since we all know that each device gets their own device specific firmware/build of the OS, so it could very well be that the 950XL has specific issues that aren't present in the 950.
    Yes. Thats how it is. It can also be late cause that problem noticed too late and its pretty likely. That was told by my friend who work at microsoft...(Old nokia worker)
    11-12-2015 05:06 AM
    Gonna sell like hotcakes to the cordless bungee jumping crowd! (AND ME!)
    Jon_Rubinstein likes this.
    11-12-2015 06:03 AM
    No. Most will be the same but there will be different drivers and a different HAL and probably others.
    11-12-2015 06:07 AM
1,799 ... 1213141516 ...