01-16-2016 09:46 PM
1,799 ... 1920212223 ...
tools
    Lost's of new video's posted by Microsoft Lumia Support. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOj...MmEPn43eprY5gw
    nokia4life likes this.
    11-17-2015 09:58 AM
    November 26... as in Thanksgiving day. Microsoft not only makes their employee work on Thanksgiving but also releases a new product?
    Yeah that is Thanksgiving day! That's what he said! That is what the guy at the call center tried to tell me yesterday then he said the 25th. I don't believe any of them anymore. Why doesn't Microsoft announce the date so there is no confusion. Man they have a lot to learn!
    11-17-2015 10:08 AM
    Has anyone found where to order a spare battery for the 950XL?
    11-17-2015 10:19 AM
    Has anyone found where to order a spare battery for the 950XL?
    I'm guessing Microsoft would be when the phone is released.
    11-17-2015 10:31 AM
    Yeah that is Thanksgiving day! That's what he said! That is what the guy at the call center tried to tell me yesterday then he said the 25th. I don't believe any of them anymore. Why doesn't Microsoft announce the date so there is no confusion. Man they have a lot to learn!
    I was told the same thing in Portland Oregon and I kind of laughed myself out of the store. If they don't release a date then they don't have to back track if something goes wrong.
    geekladyemjay likes this.
    11-17-2015 10:32 AM
    I was told the same thing in Portland Oregon and I kind of laughed myself out of the store. If they don't release a date then they don't have to back track if something goes wrong.
    Like I said in another thread, we won't know until the stores have the devices physically in-hand.
    11-17-2015 10:57 AM
    Good to see a fellow Portlander excited about this phone. Yeah, I've found the folks at the store (Pioneer Place Location) have about as much a clue about the date as we do unfortunately...but at least we don't have to pay sales tax!
    11-17-2015 11:00 AM
    You are so right MusicMan. There has been enough different information distributed that all you can do is wait until it hits the store. Every rep is sure of what they are saying but there is always one to contradict the other. Over it!
    11-17-2015 11:01 AM
    Good to see a fellow Portlander excited about this phone. Yeah, I've found the folks at the store (Pioneer Place Location) have about as much a clue about the date as we do unfortunately...but at least we don't have to pay sales tax!
    Yep, another Portlander here. I've been to the kiosk at Washington Square a couple times but they don't know any more than what I've heard here. I ordered a white 950XL online yesterday. If I'm reading correctly, it looks like I can add Microsoft Complete after I receive the phone. Thinking about doing that.
    NYCMetsPDX likes this.
    11-17-2015 11:20 AM
    I just preordered the XL and 950 at the store near my place... both phones will be available next week for me to check out.
    11-17-2015 12:46 PM
    This may already be known, but I went to the Pacific Place (downtown Seattle) kiosk to verify that the free dock was available via the in-store preorders. They had no idea what I was talking about - there were 5 people on shift and none of them even knew the date had been announced because when I said 'they're confirmed for the 26th, will you have preorders in-store that day?' the manager said they couldn't confirm any dates at this point. Anyway, long story short they went to the retail website and 'confirmed' everything I said by reading the verbiage there but still couldn't answer, with any certainty, whether the in-store preorders qualified for the dock. They will probably be the same as the mail order, where you have to register the phone then get a discount code for use on the store site. I came back and preordered online simply because the staff didn't seem to know anything and I didn't want to risk that.
    11-17-2015 12:48 PM
    This may already be known, but I went to the Pacific Place (downtown Seattle) kiosk to verify that the free dock was available via the in-store preorders. They had no idea what I was talking about - there were 5 people on shift and none of them even knew the date had been announced because when I said 'they're confirmed for the 26th, will you have preorders in-store that day?' the manager said they couldn't confirm any dates at this point. Anyway, long story short they went to the retail website and 'confirmed' everything I said by reading the verbiage there but still couldn't answer, with any certainty, whether the in-store preorders qualified for the dock. They will probably be the same as the mail order, where you have to register the phone then get a discount code for use on the store site. I came back and preordered online simply because the staff didn't seem to know anything and I didn't want to risk that.
    The guy at my kiosk stated that the XL got the docking station with the preorder in store.
    11-17-2015 01:20 PM
    The guy at my kiosk stated that the XL got the docking station with the preorder in store.
    I left my preorder active in case of that (and in case they happened to get inventory early). But this kiosk had no clue. Where was yours? This one is a stone's throw from an actual MS building, so I'd hoped they would have been a bit better trained.
    metalb00 likes this.
    11-17-2015 01:31 PM
    Ok, spoke to the manager of my local kiosk. They got a late comm from corporate that the 950 xl would be available in-store on November 26. Yes, Thanksgiving. He was 100% sure on that. Even lamented that they would be open at 6am that day.

When I asked about going to another store (since I will be out of town), he said pre-orders could only be fulfilled at the store at which they were made. I asked about just buying one, no pre-order. He said that what was being communicated at the moment was that there wouldn't be any extras unless you happen to be at one of the larger stores. He said Galleria in Houston was the third largest store and might have some extras, but warned me it would be crazy.

They did show me the display dock and cases had come in for the AT&T 950, and that they would have them for sale on Friday. He also said the free display dock promotion would be honored. Don't know if that means they will give one right then (since they have them), or if it's the mail-in thing still.

So now I have a decision to make: Buy an AT&T 950 outright and get it unlocked and have it on Friday, or wait until Monday the 30th (when I'll be back in town) to pick up my pre-ordered 950 xl. Tough choice.
    11-17-2015 01:34 PM
    When I called yesterday and talked to someone in the call center she didn't even know what the Display Dock was!
    11-17-2015 01:34 PM
    Ok, spoke to the manager of my local kiosk. They got a late comm from corporate that the 950 xl would be available in-store on November 26. Yes, Thanksgiving. He was 100% sure on that. Even lamented that they would be open at 6am that day.

When I asked about going to another store (since I will be out of town), he said pre-orders could only be fulfilled at the store at which they were made. I asked about just buying one, no pre-order. He said that what was being communicated at the moment was that there wouldn't be any extras unless you happen to be at one of the larger stores. He said Galleria in Houston was the third largest store and might have some extras, but warned me it would be crazy.

They did show me the display dock and cases had come in for the AT&T 950, and that they would have them for sale on Friday. He also said the free display dock promotion would be honored. Don't know if that means they will give one right then (since they have them), or if it's the mail-in thing still.

So now I have a decision to make: Buy an AT&T 950 outright and get it unlocked and have it on Friday, or wait until Monday the 30th (when I'll be back in town) to pick up my pre-ordered 950 xl. Tough choice.
    Hmmm.... race you to the Galleria on thanksgiving day :)
    its only 20 miles from me...
    11-17-2015 01:37 PM

Good Lord so the day really is Thanksgiving day! Thanks for the info. By the way you do know that they only hold pre-orders for 72 hours right?
    What a fiasco this is. Why release a new device on Thanksgiving day! Oh well once again I have my date such that it is. That day will be here in no time.
    Musicman247 likes this.
    11-17-2015 01:40 PM

I just called my local Microsoft store and spoke with a salesman and he told me the same exact thing, that release day is Nov 26 and when asked about the dock he said it will be "included" with my 950 XL. I will also be out of town for Thanksgiving with my family and asked if I could just pick one up from another Microsoft store. His answer was I would have to pick mine up from my local store where I had pre ordered it the following week after my return. Bummer!!! Oh well.
    Musicman247 likes this.
    11-17-2015 01:41 PM
    Get the XL. But if you don't, you can get the AT&T unlocked immediately if you don't activate it until after its unlocked. AT&T will issue unlock codes for even a brand new AT&T phone for non-AT&T customers. I've done it many times with AT&T L640s But unlocked it still is an A&T phone which historically means you could only get updates when AT&T feels like it even if you are using it on another carrier. I think that's a good reason to wait and get a factory unlocked phone when you get home.
    jmajid and Musicman247 like this.
    11-17-2015 01:42 PM
    Mine is preordered!
    11-17-2015 01:47 PM
    Good Lord so the day really is Thanksgiving day! Thanks for the info. By the way you do know that they only hold pre-orders for 72 hours right?
    What a fiasco this is. Why release a new device on Thanksgiving day! Oh well once again I have my date such that it is. That day will be here in no time.
    Yes. He gave me his card and told me to email him and that he would hold mine until I got back.
    11-17-2015 01:47 PM
    Get the XL. But if you don't, you can get the AT&T unlocked immediately if you don't activate it until after its unlocked. AT&T will issue unlock codes for even a brand new AT&T phone for non-AT&T customers. I've done it many times with AT&T L640s But unlocked it still is an A&T phone which historically means you could only get updates when AT&T feels like it even if you are using it on another carrier. I think that's a good reason to wait and get a factory unlocked phone when you get home.
    Okay, so can you clarify a bit for somebody who's never unlocked a phone...

If I walked into an AT&T store (customer or non-customer) and bought a 950, would they unlock it? Would I have to buy it out-right to get it unlocked?

If it's AT&T branded I'm really going to be tied to when they release updates even if unlocked? (I know I could set the phone to Insider previews to bypass that.)
    11-17-2015 02:01 PM
    Pre Ordered my Lumia 950(yes, not the xl) through Microsoft Store today over the phone today!
    11-17-2015 02:01 PM
    I'm considering going with a 950 instead of the XL, only because AT&T has a deal to get a Surface 3 for $399. Does anybody know of an equal or better deal for a Surface 3?
    11-17-2015 02:03 PM
    Best Buy is selling Surface 3 for $399 on Black Friday, in case you are in the US
    11-17-2015 02:08 PM
1,799 ... 1920212223 ...