01-16-2016 10:46 PM
1,799 ... 2223242526 ...
tools
    Is it fraud to call this an "unlocked" or "universal" phone if it isn't CDMA certified so that it is truly unlocked or able to be used universally? Words mean things.
    11-18-2015 09:00 AM
    Is it fraud to call this an "unlocked" or "universal" phone if it isn't CDMA certified so that it is truly unlocked or able to be used universally? Words mean things.
    Fraud? Lmfao. What, are you going to sue? Who? Cdma carriers for not allowing phone on their network even if it had the bands? Microsoft? Bill Gates foundation? Your parents for lying about Santa, the tooth fairy and Easter bunny? #WordsMeanThings2016 #FreeStuff
    metalb00 likes this.
    11-18-2015 09:07 AM
    Simply asking a question. I know nobody will sue for this stuff, just like nobody is going to sue Aerosmith for including other musicians on their CD's when Aerosmith only consists of 5 people. They don't put on the cover that it's actually a CD by "Aerosmith and Friends", but maybe in today's legalistic world they should. It's a shame that people change the meaning of words to suit their purposes when those who know what words mean could be deceived. Deception is a major part of marketing, tho.
    11-18-2015 09:22 AM
    "Unlocked" means it is not locked to a single carrier. I haven't seen these phones marketed as "universal", but even if they were, the term means it can be used in any situation where it should be able to be used. Since these phones are GSM, not CDMA, the "universal" would apply to any GSM carrier.

If you're taking it literally, then I suppose you believe these should be able to be used flawlessly on the moon, or a planet orbiting Alpha Centauri, since it exists in our universe. Is that the case?

I agree that marketing can sometimes be deceptive, but context can change a word's meaning.
    libra89 and metalb00 like this.
    11-18-2015 09:38 AM
    I am not taking any of the words literally myself as I know that sales and marketing people tend to mislead with words in order to make their product look attractive. With all the deception Microsoft has (past tense) used in making the 950 & 950XL seem to work on all carriers, it's been no surprise over the last few months seeing those who use Verizon and Spring express outrage at Microsoft for dropping the ball on the availability of these phones.
    11-18-2015 09:44 AM
    I am not taking any of the words literally myself as I know that sales and marketing people tend to mislead with words in order to make their product look attractive. With all the deception Microsoft has (past tense) used in making the 950 & 950XL seem to work on all carriers, it's been no surprise over the last few months seeing those who use Verizon and Spring express outrage at Microsoft for dropping the ball on the availability of these phones.
    On the displays of the phone, it says that it doesn't work with CDMA...so how is that deception?
    11-18-2015 09:53 AM
    There's a whole thread about this topic here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/mic...k-verizon.html
    libra89 likes this.
    11-18-2015 09:53 AM
    Can't wait for the day I can go into a Phone store (not carrier) in the states, buy the phone I like, take it home, connect to WiFi, open the Carrier app and select the carrier, plan and options I want, all with final pricing listed.

Yeah right, like the easy and sensible will ever happen.
    libra89, SPS828 and Gungzwei like this.
    11-18-2015 09:54 AM
    Which we see now and recently, but not when these phones were first rumored and announced.
    11-18-2015 09:55 AM
    I know.
    11-18-2015 09:55 AM
    Pre-orders must be going very well.
    Store now shows "Ships by December 11"!!!
    11-18-2015 10:01 AM
    Pre-orders must be going very well.
    Store now shows "Ships by December 11"!!!
    I'm wondering if this won't be Band 1 all over again, regarding mysteries about #s available, and vagaries about when they'll be available in stores...
    11-18-2015 10:03 AM
    I'm wondering if this won't be Band 1 all over again, regarding mysteries about #s available, and vagaries about when they'll be available in stores...
    I wouldn't doubt it. Windows Phones are niche devices, after all. Making a limited number of these at first to determine interest isn't a bad strategy.
    libra89 likes this.
    11-18-2015 10:39 AM
    I wouldn't doubt it. Windows Phones are niche devices, after all. Making a limited number of these at first to determine interest isn't a bad strategy.
    I don't disagree, but the vagaries and mysteries only serve to irritate the biggest fans. Why is a company with a 1.7% marketshare being so hot and cold with the people who love its products the most? I never got that. If you're an Apple Fanboy, you know the exact time and day that you can line up to get your new iDevice. Microsoft isn't a mom and pop operation.
    Joe920 and ace_dxb like this.
    11-18-2015 11:16 AM
    Created 2 white 950XL orders, one ship Nov 25 and one on Dec 11. Forgot to pay with paypal, now I have to deal with some cash T_T
    11-18-2015 12:14 PM
    It just dawned on me that it says "Ships by", not "Ships on". This could mean that shipping is continuous and is guaranteed to be done by Nov. 25
    jmajid and libra89 like this.
    11-18-2015 12:59 PM
    Anyone already purchased a decent but simple case for the 950XL? a link would be nice, thanks!
    geekladyemjay likes this.
    11-18-2015 01:10 PM
    just checked the mall hours where the local MS Store is. They are going to be open Thanksgiving evening, 6 PM - Midnight. Because of prior commitments that means I'll have to go in on Friday if I want to pick up my pre-ordered XL. Nightmare.
    11-18-2015 01:20 PM
    I'm hoping they will have stock in store. I'm fortunate to have a store in San Antonio that I'm going to check out on the 20th
    11-18-2015 01:42 PM
    Yes, words do mean things. In this case, the word "unlocked" means no carrier has locked it exclusively to their network. This phone is unlocked. You can use it on ATT, TMobile, or pretty much any carrier in Europe or the rest of the world. "Unlocked" does not mean "guaranteed to work on all carriers. Words mean things, you just have to understand the meanings. I get that its not easy and the waters get very murky in all this business or radio frequencies and protocols and such, but that isn't MS' fault and there is no intent of deception going on here. They are selling an unlocked phone. That is exactly the right word for it.
    metalb00 likes this.
    11-18-2015 02:19 PM
    "I'm hoping they will have stock in store. I'm fortunate to have a store in San Antonio that I'm going to check out on the 20th"

If you do not have a preorder good luck. My local store had a lot of preorders. What they get it is dependant on preorders. if they have 20 plus preorders then the preoders get filled and no stock left for walk ins.
    11-18-2015 02:27 PM
    I will be there after my ECHO test to be sure =)
    11-18-2015 02:34 PM
    "I'm hoping they will have stock in store. I'm fortunate to have a store in San Antonio that I'm going to check out on the 20th"

If you do not have a preorder good luck. My local store had a lot of preorders. What they get it is dependant on preorders. if they have 20 plus preorders then the preoders get filled and no stock left for walk ins.
    I think it would be helpful for folks who get preorder notices to let us know the terms (e.g. - will they hold it for 24 hours? 48?) so those of us without pre-orders (my last visit to an MS store was while they weren't taking preorders, so I'm out in the wild here hahah) can know when they will start moving down the list.
    11-18-2015 02:43 PM
    I think it would be helpful for folks who get preorder notices to let us know the terms (e.g. - will they hold it for 24 hours? 48?) so those of us without pre-orders (my last visit to an MS store was while they weren't taking preorders, so I'm out in the wild here hahah) can know when they will start moving down the list.
    I will try. I have a preorder in because they are giving me a 950 xl as a replacement for my dead 1520. As of 2 days ago they didnt even have the shipment in their systems yet. So I doubt they will have them in on friday.

The stores have no clue about anything until they actually get in their first shipment . keep in mind they won't know wwhen the shipment comes in until it arrives at their store.
    Serpent1189 likes this.
    11-18-2015 02:48 PM
    According to a rep I just spoke with, 950xl will be released on the 26th. Preorders have a 48 hour window for pickup.
    Serpent1189 likes this.
    11-18-2015 02:51 PM
1,799 ... 2223242526 ...