01-16-2016 09:46 PM
1,799 12345 ...
tools
    Totally Understandable, but I needed to know if Windows Phone would do everything I needed/wanted such as sync with my Jeep GC hands free system for texting, calls and streaming music via pandora, mp3s, Spotify ect... The 640XL actually does a much better job then the Note 4.. I also wanted to make sure I'd like using a Windows Phone since I haven't had one since WP 7 (Samsung Focus) and happy again to say I am enjoying it..
    So your Jeep GC system, what is that called? I'm mainly just curious, but I'm also considering buying a Jeep and it would be nice to know which system works ahead of time.
    10-28-2015 10:19 AM
    I would think the "pessimists" are the ones that think it will be a piece of junk. The ones that want it yesterday are eager fans that are optimistic about it to spend several hundred dollars to buy it.
    I've heard both. I've heard people say it sucks and that it's been held up too long at the same time. Personally I think it should have been a higher priority to get out sooner, and I also think more features should have been added. But if it's stable at release, it will be the best mobile OS available, so that's good enough for me.
    10-28-2015 10:27 AM
    It wouldn't be so bad if I at least had a definitive release date in my calendar. I was at the Microsoft Store the other day and the guy said I could buy one on Monday but I didn't bother going back because I knew that was BS. I've been using a OnePlus One for several months and I so can't wait to get back to Windows.
    Bartdog likes this.
    10-28-2015 10:34 AM
    Hope you don't get mugged outside the office ;)
    Been here since October 7th, lucky I've got company. We decided to build a shrine to the 950XL!
    Attached Thumbnails 2015-10-28-11.42.41.jpg  
    10-28-2015 10:43 AM
    So your Jeep GC system, what is that called? I'm mainly just curious, but I'm also considering buying a Jeep and it would be nice to know which system works ahead of time.
    I have a '14 GC Summit and the system is called Uconnect. My 8.1 Icon integrates wonderfully with Uconnect.

There are several features the Uconnect web page says are unavailable on windows phone that work incredibly well with the Icon.
    jmshub likes this.
    10-28-2015 11:27 AM
    My Icon with 8.1 pairs swimmingly with my '14 Grand Cherokee. It reads incoming texts, allows me to dictate replies and I finally figured out how to compose new texts. I couldn't ask for a better pairing. I hope WM10 doesn't screw it up!!!
    Dictate? I have a GC as well and it reads texts but I can only voice reply via Cortana instead of the Jeep's system. When I try, it says something about being incompatible with my phone. What am I missing? Also, I really wish that when it plays music from my phone, that the album artwork would show up on the LCD...

EDIT: By the way. I'm using a 1020. Not to be confused with the 920 in my profile pic.
    10-28-2015 12:17 PM
    Came close to doing this myself..... But I've had my fill of 400 series processors (L830).
    That brings me to the question when i worked at circuit city, all the old people would come and buy the cheapest Intel Celeron POS computer, why are they buying iPhones now?
    Bartdog likes this.
    10-28-2015 12:22 PM
    What is the release date for ATT, cuz i gots that Citi card that gives me 650 back on a phone, if i swim through a gator pit with the card in my teeth.
    nokia4life likes this.
    10-28-2015 12:24 PM
    Dictate? I have a GC as well and it reads texts but I can only voice reply via Cortana instead of the Jeep's system. When I try, it says something about being incompatible with my phone. What am I missing? Also, I really wish that when it plays music from my phone, that the album artwork would show up on the LCD...
    I was researching SUVs for my father and I could receive and answer texts in new Jeeps the same as in any modern car with Blue-tooth. I have a 1520.3. So not sure why you could not answer a text.

You can't do texts thru some car app but the native ability in WP is just as good (or better) for receiving and responding to texts. For INITIATING new texts, you have to go thru the extra step of "calling" Cortana and telling her who you want to text. So I am guessing initiating texts won't be quite as good as an app built into the car but then again I never tested that with an Android or iPhone.
    10-28-2015 12:40 PM
    this is killing me. My 920 is 3 years old. Give us a release date at least!!!
    Bartdog likes this.
    10-28-2015 12:43 PM
    What is the release date for ATT, cuz i gots that Citi card that gives me 650 back on a phone, if i swim through a gator pit with the card in my teeth.
    More info please. I don't care about the money but am always looking for an excuse to swim thru gator pits.
    tuxedo323, JohnStrk and rollindice like this.
    10-28-2015 12:44 PM

EDIT: By the way. I'm using a 1020. Not to be confused with the 920 in my profile pic.
    Sorry if you know this already, but how it works for me is...

When I get a text, it asks something to the effect of "You have a new text. Read it or ignore." I'll say "read it" and it reads the message. When finished it asks "reply or done." I say "reply" and it asks "what do you want to say?" So I say what I want to reply and say "send" and off it goes.

I'll admit, it integrates so well I don't know if Uconnect is doing it or if it's Cortona. Doesn't matter to me as long as someone is.

One cool trick, and I found this by searching interweb so I can't take credit... When you pair your phone and it downloads your address book it adds an entry for Cortana. So you can press the phone button, say "call Cortana" and it opens a pass through to her. You can then do any Cortana trick you want. I use it to start a text conversation from scratch without getting a text first. I.e. "Call Cortana... text Darron Smith..."
    10-28-2015 01:05 PM

Sorry if you know this already, but how it works for me is...

When I get a text, it asks something to the effect of "You have a new text. Read it or ignore." I'll say "read it" and it reads the message. When finished it asks "reply or done." I say "reply" and it asks "what do you want to say?" So I say what I want to reply and say "send" and off it goes.

I'll admit, it integrates so well I don't know if Uconnect is doing it or if it's Cortona. Doesn't matter to me as long as someone is.

One cool trick, and I found this by searching interweb so I can't take credit... When you pair your phone and it downloads your address book it adds an entry for Cortana. So you can press the phone button, say "call Cortana" and it opens a pass through to her. You can then do any Cortana trick you want. I use it to start a text conversation from scratch without getting a text first. I.e. "Call Cortana... text Darron Smith..."

ETA: Sorry to take things off topic. I guess it's a way to kill time while we're waiting...
    10-28-2015 01:24 PM
    Waiting, waiting.... I really think I want to move from Android over to the Windows platform this time and I'm anxiously waiting for the 950XL. I would definitely do the bundle with the Band 2 if it is offered. My concern is that Microsoft has discovered something truly wrong with these phones - hence no information about release - and that I might be purchasing a phone that will give me problems down the road.
    I'm waiting too, but I don't think the problem is with the phone. I think they are trying to finish the mobile operating system before releasing the phones...

<TED>
    libra89 likes this.
    10-28-2015 01:52 PM
    ... When you pair your phone and it downloads your address book it adds an entry for Cortana. So you can press the phone button, say "call Cortana" and it opens a pass through to her.
    Is there a specific phone number or something for Cortana in your address book entry? I have an older car with way older bluetooth and currently can only make calls or receive calls... I think calling Cortana to invoke cortana would be cool.
    10-28-2015 01:53 PM
    Is there a specific phone number or something for Cortana in your address book entry? I have an older car with way older bluetooth and currently can only make calls or receive calls... I think calling Cortana to invoke cortana would be cool.
    I don't know. I'll check and report back later.
    anthonyng likes this.
    10-28-2015 02:12 PM
    With my Lumia 920 and WP 8.1 I used 555-555-9876.
    anthonyng likes this.
    10-28-2015 02:13 PM
    Yes. Search to confirm but I think its something like 555-555-9876 to dial Cortana direct although handset makers can change that. An article somewhere mentioned that if calling Cortana via the contact she shows the car doesn't work some people had success by manually adding that fake number for Cortana to their phone contacts.
    anthonyng likes this.
    10-28-2015 02:14 PM
    At least MS is doing better than what we did at Palm. We announced the PRE at CES JAn 2009 and were only able to release it in June, a full 6 months later!!! Talk about hate mail!! WebOs lived for 31 months!!!
    Palm may have been a messed up company.

But, my $100 Hp touchpad was my favorite tablet ever.
    It was the perfect size, the brower was easy to use, battery life was great.
    For my use, which was just browsing, I loved it. Way better than Edge on a tablet (I miss metro IE).

It got old and slow after 3 years and it didn't help that web content kept getting more complex and elaborate. But I sure as hell got my $100 worth.
    10-28-2015 02:19 PM
    My Icon with 8.1 pairs swimmingly with my '14 Grand Cherokee. It reads incoming texts, allows me to dictate replies and I finally figured out how to compose new texts. I couldn't ask for a better pairing. I hope WM10 doesn't screw it up!!!
    My Icon is now running WM10 10572. Interaction used to work flawlessly wiht my 2013 Mitsubishi, but now not so much. It will tell me I have a text, but disconnects after I say "read it". It then reconnects and sometimes reads the texts, sometimes not. Good news, the WM10 maps navigation works perfectly through BT audio.
    JDHamilton6 likes this.
    10-28-2015 02:45 PM
    I have a '14 GC Summit and the system is called Uconnect. My 8.1 Icon integrates wonderfully with Uconnect.

There are several features the Uconnect web page says are unavailable on windows phone that work incredibly well with the Icon.
    I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited with Uconnect also, I let my subscription run out on my Uconnect account where my Note 4 wouldn't send voice replies Cortana does it through the hands free system and MUCH faster then then Uconnect's paid subscription's version.. Uconnects voice reply menu takes forever reciting options where Cortona keeps it short and to the point.. When using Spotify, Pandora or MP3s all load faster also and Song, Artists and album load on the display screen perfectly unlike with my Note 4 which often hung up when changing sources showing the last info even though a different song, artist was playing..
    Bartdog and JDHamilton6 like this.
    10-28-2015 02:58 PM
    Palm may have been a messed up company.

But, my $100 Hp touchpad was my favorite tablet ever.
    It was the perfect size, the brower was easy to use, battery life was great.
    For my use, which was just browsing, I loved it. Way better than Edge on a tablet (I miss metro IE).

It got old and slow after 3 years and it didn't help that web content kept getting more complex and elaborate. But I sure as hell got my $100 worth.
    Took forever for my wife to stop using that and use the the Surface RT we bought way back lol. Still lying aorund, feels like such a waste to throw it away, need some ideas what I could do with it :D
    10-28-2015 03:16 PM
    I have a 2015 Grand Cherokee Limited with Uconnect also, I let my subscription run out on my Uconnect account where my Note 4 wouldn't send voice replies Cortana does it through the hands free system and MUCH faster then then Uconnect's paid subscription's version.. Uconnects voice reply menu takes forever reciting options where Cortona keeps it short and to the point.. When using Spotify, Pandora or MP3s all load faster also and Song, Artists and album load on the display screen perfectly unlike with my Note 4 which often hung up when changing sources showing the last info even though a different song, artist was playing..
    Good to know. My '14 is a recent program car purchase (June) so I'm still running on the free trial period. I've been weighing the pros and cons of renewing when the time comes.
    10-28-2015 03:44 PM
    My Icon is now running WM10 10572. Interaction used to work flawlessly wiht my 2013 Mitsubishi, but now not so much. It will tell me I have a text, but disconnects after I say "read it". It then reconnects and sometimes reads the texts, sometimes not. Good news, the WM10 maps navigation works perfectly through BT audio.
    That's my fear. New and improved scares me when the new and improved thing is something I like...
    10-28-2015 03:52 PM
    I have bought Band 2 already, witing to buy 950 XL and continuum dock. any ideas on when they will be available?
    10-28-2015 04:12 PM
1,799 12345 ...