950XL Waiting Room

Clint Curry

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: 950XL waiting room.

My 1520 has the exact same problem, phantom touching near the bottom middle on the left hand side of the phone, annoying as hell! Let me know if you find any fixes!!! :)

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

I have heard that Android can be hacked onto the Touchpad without too much trouble. Granted it would be AOSP and many don't prefer Android, but it would give you access to more apps, if at a cost of reduced battery life and responsiveness.

I knew about that and was looking into it a while back but... lazy... Maybe it's a no brainer now.

Beatmaster

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

At least MS is doing better than what we did at Palm. We announced the PRE at CES JAn 2009 and were only able to release it in June, a full 6 months later!!! Talk about hate mail!! WebOs lived for 31 months!!!
I loved webOS so much! At that time it was way ahead off everything else. Still makes me sad when i think about the ***** who pulled the plug.

Darron Smith1

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

One cool trick, and I found this by searching interweb so I can't take credit... When you pair your phone and it downloads your address book it adds an entry for Cortana. So you can press the phone button, say "call Cortana" and it opens a pass through to her. You can then do any Cortana trick you want. I use it to start a text conversation from scratch without getting a text first. I.e. "Call Cortana... text Darron Smith..."

Wow JD, it works like a charm! Thanks for the tip!

badMojo69

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site

If I can't play HearthStone on a phone this it's not the phone for me. Gotta do something during that 15 minute work break.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Thanks! I actually enjoy games like that. By my estimation, I can pick up an AT&T 950XL for $232 (including sales tax). An AT&T customer could get it for $188 since they wouldn't have to pay for an unused month of AT&T service.

$95 - annual card fee
$45 - cheapest AT&T smart phone plan for a month (deal requires 15 days)
$20 - lost rewards over my other cards for the $2,000 I have to spend on this new card
$52 - sales tax on the $650 phone.
$6 - lost checking account interest on the $2,000 that would have been spread out over a few months.

Process (not all steps necessarily in order):

• Get the CitiBank card.
  • Order a 950XL for $650 from AT&T with the card.
  • Deal requires $2,000 of charges within 3 months so immediately purchase $1,350 of Amazon and/or other retailer gift cards since the phone counts toward the $2,000).
  • Activate phone on delivery then pull the SIM and toss (or keep for a month or until phone is sold).
  • Cancel AT&T service after 15 days - minimum for the deal.
  • Submit claim for $650 reimbursement credit to card.
  • Sell the 650XL (or replace wife's 640 with it) - I'm getting my unlocked 950XL from MS or B&H.
  • Receive $650 credit for the phone.
  • Pay full balance on card.
  • Use any rewards from this card if possible and easy (might lower my out of pocket of $232).
  • Cancel card

If my wife keeps the phone, I may need a 3rd party to request an unlock code since we are on T-Mobile. AT&T will issue an unlock to anyone not a current or past AT&T customer for any phone not under contract. I know because I got unlock codes for AT&T 640s I bought as gifts and didn't even have to open the boxes since the IMEI is on the label. Unfortunately this deal requires ME to become an AT&T customer so I can't get the code for the 950XL myself. Not sure if my wife will be considered a customer since we live at the same address.

I don't really need the phone and my wife can have my 1520 instead if she wants when MY 950 arrives. But I like the game, so might just do it. I can't see it costing me more than a few hours of free spare time.

Last edited:

psurob55

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site

Thanks! I actually enjoy games like that. By my estimation, I can pick up an AT&T 950XL for $232 (including sales tax). An AT&T customer could get it for $188 since they wouldn't have to pay for an unused month of AT&T service.

$95 - annual card fee
$45 - cheapest AT&T smart phone plan for a month (deal requires 15 days)
$20 - lost rewards over my other cards for the $2,000 I have to spend on this new card
$52 - sales tax on the $650 phone.
$6 - lost checking account interest on the $2,000 that would have been spread out over a few months.

Process (not all steps necessarily in order):

• Get the CitiBank card.
  • Order a 950XL from AT&T with the card.
  • Deal requires $2,000 of charges within 3 months so immediately purchase $2,000 of Amazon and/or other retailer gift cards (or $1,350 if the phone counts toward the $2,000).
  • Activate phone on delivery then pull the SIM and toss (or keep for a month or until phone is sold).
  • Cancel AT&T service after 15 days - minimum for the deal.
  • Submit claim for $650 reimbursement credit to card.
  • Sell the 650XL (or replace wife's 640 with it) - I'm getting my unlocked 950XL from MS or B&H.
  • Receive $650 credit for the phone.
  • Pay full balance on card.
  • Use any rewards from this card if possible and easy (might lower my out of pocket of $232).
  • Cancel card

If my wife keeps the phone, I may need a 3rd party to request an unlock code since we are on T-Mobile. AT&T will issue an unlock to anyone not a current or past AT&T customer for any phone not under contract. I know because I got unlock codes for AT&T 640s I bought as gifts and didn't even have to open the boxes since the IMEI is on the label. Unfortunately this deal requires ME to become an AT&T customer so I can't get the code for the 950XL myself. Not sure if my wife will be considered a customer since we live at the same address.

I don't really need the phone and my wife can have my 1520 instead if she wants when MY 950 arrives. But I like the game, so might just do it. I can't see it costing me more than a few hours of free spare time.
that's an awful lot of work to bring the price of a phone down. Give me a break.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

that's an awful lot of work to bring the price of a phone down. Give me a break.
Then I will go out on a limb and suggest you don't do it. ;)

As I said, I don't need the phone, I don't need the money. Its more like beating the system. Like when I was leasing a huge multi-million dollar mainframe (back in the '80s or '90s when they were the size of a basketball court) and asked the salesman what colors it comes in. Being cute, he said any color you want. Unfortunate there were witnesses. So I had the only neon yellow one ever installed. They had to paint it going in and going out since nobody else wanted that color but it generated buzz while I had it.

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

My 1520 has the exact same problem, phantom touching near the bottom middle on the left hand side of the phone, annoying as hell! Let me know if you find any fixes!!! :)

If your phone is like mine, it will get significantly worse over time.

Jikangire

Mar 22, 2014
Visit site

Five days ago I decided I was done waiting for a release date for the 950 XL and went ahead and "upgraded" to an iPhone 6S. After just five days I couldn't stand the iPhone any longer and I promptly returned it to AT&T. I am now back to waiting for the 950 XL. Windows Phone has spoiled me, there is no going back to the same old iPhone, (regardless of which iPhone you have, it's the exact same experience visually and interactively), ever again for me. Monday my Band 2 should be delivered and that piece of new technology, working along side my Nokia Lumia 928, will be enough to hold me over until the Microsoft Lumia 950 XL is actually released. I hope...

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Five days ago I decided I was done waiting for a release date for the 950 XL and went ahead and "upgraded" to an iPhone 6S. After just five days I couldn't stand the iPhone any longer and I promptly returned it to AT&T. I am now back to waiting for the 950 XL. Windows Phone has spoiled me, there is no going back to the same old iPhone, (regardless of which iPhone you have, it's the exact same experience visually and interactively), ever again for me. Monday my Band 2 should be delivered and that piece of new technology, working along side my Nokia Lumia 928, will be enough to hold me over until the Microsoft Lumia 950 XL is actually released. I hope...
One of us... One of us.

Glad you are back with us!

vincentwansink

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site

Waiting, waiting.... I really think I want to move from Android over to the Windows platform this time and I'm anxiously waiting for the 950XL. I would definitely do the bundle with the Band 2 if it is offered. My concern is that Microsoft has discovered something truly wrong with these phones - hence no information about release - and that I might be purchasing a phone that will give me problems down the road.

I think they're just giving themselves enough time to make sure the OS they're putting on these phones is solid.

BluetoothFairy1

Oct 21, 2015
Visit site

They couldn't advertise or give out dates because it was not approved by the FCC, until recently.
Secondly, what probably is holding things up is the OS. As soon as W10M is ready, they will release it (Thanksgiving Day-ish.... is my guess).
Worth the wait. And the camera itself looks like some serious pocket shooter.

mrweerez

Sep 29, 2015
Visit site

I got impatient and was upset about the 950XL not supporting stylus input, so I picked up the Galaxy Note 5 a couple of weeks ago. I liked it...but I didn't love it. Going back to using my Lumia 1020 feels like coming home. I took the Note 5 back and decided I'm going to hold out another few weeks for the 950. I'm getting very anxious for this phone to come out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs