950XL Waiting Room

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Honestly pre-orders mean nada, B&H says expected ship date of Dec. 15th.. That's just a shot in the dark, they don't know anymore then we do when it will be released.. just they're guesstimate, I would bet we'll have them on or within the next 2 weeks..
I agree. A week before thanksgiving sounds about right.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand. I don't use a phone that came from a carrier and can't imagine a circumstance when I ever would. I'm buying my 950XL from Microsoft or B&H or anyone but a carrier. So how are the carriers responsible for the delays? Microsoft builds them. Microsoft sells them directly. How can Microsoft not be responsible for when I can buy one?
According to your other posts, the phones you get from B&H aren't the US version. The carriers(AT&T) are holding up the process. The 950 just cleared the FCC. Why did it take 2 weeks longer to clear than the 950XL? Microsoft is already taking pre-orders for the 950XL because they are selling them unlocked versus the 950 which is said to be an AT&T exclusive. I'm willing to bet AT&T is making Microsoft wait on releasing the 950XL to coincide with when they are ready/willing to launch the 950

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Microsoft is already taking pre-orders for the 950XL because they are selling them unlocked versus the 950 which is said to be an AT&T exclusive. I'm willing to bet AT&T is making Microsoft wait on releasing the 950XL to coincide with when they are ready/willing to launch the 950
I'm not sure MS would hold up releasing 2 flagship phones Worldwide just to pacify one US carrier which is #2 in the US?? I mean you walk into a AT&T store and its hard to even find where the Windows phones are, I might believe they'd hold up US releases but Worldwide?? Windows Phones have they're largest market share in other countries such as France and Italy, wouldn't be smart to **** off countries where they actually have a decent market share for the sake of AT&T who seems to care very little about windows phones.. Just my thoughts on the subject..
I really think the OS is the hold up... They want to dot all the i's and cross all the T's, they can't afford to release a buggy Windows Phone 10 OS disaster, it would shine badly on Windows 10 as a whole and right now Windows 10 is they're #1 concern..

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
To pass the time while waiting, I decided to visit a couple of AT&T stores and see what all they have available and what they know about the new phones.

I thought the 950XL was an expensive phone at $650. What I did not realize is that a comparable iPhone 6S+ or Galaxy or Blackberry Priv flagship device is between $750-$950. So now I feel even better about it.

The reps know next to nothing of course, but one guy at the first store, a company-owned one, was able to look it up "yeah, we'll have that one but it doesn't say when." At that store they had the 640XL and 640 gophone on display.

At the second store, an "authorized reseller," they knew even less, and only had one Windows device on display, a 635. The guy had not heard anything about a 950, but got real excited when I explained Continuum.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure MS would hold up releasing 2 flagship phones Worldwide just to pacify one US carrier which is #2 in the US?? I mean you walk into a AT&T store and its hard to even find where the Windows phones are, I might believe they'd hold up US releases but Worldwide?? Windows Phones have they're largest market share in other countries such as France and Italy, wouldn't be smart to **** off countries where they actually have a decent market share for the sake of AT&T who seems to care very little about windows phones.. Just my thoughts on the subject..
I really think the OS is the hold up... They want to dot all the i's and cross all the T's, they can't afford to release a buggy Windows Phone 10 OS disaster, it would shine badly on Windows 10 as a whole and right now Windows 10 is they're #1 concern..

You took that out of context with the rest of the conversation. The point I was making was in reference to why other countries have a release date and the US doesn't. Somebody made the comment that Microsoft (M$) doesn't care about the US market and is only concerned about the global.

Lyndon Sanche

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
Maybe they don't want to give out a release date because they are going to be releasing it earlier than the other countries. They know they will be finished Windows 10 mobile by the release dates other countries have been getting but don't know enough to give an early release date to North America.

Sergiu Baiatu

Aug 19, 2014
Visit site
They are doing it, lets wait ..Good things are coming :).....
We've been hearing this since 2009 :(
And wait for what? The phones will probably be ok but the ecosystem is quite behind other players. I don't generally play games on my phone (maybe a few puzzles) and don't need the banking apps or snapchat, and even so I feel the difference between the appmarkets on my Android and WPhone. For a teenager it is even worse.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
You took that out of context with the rest of the conversation. The point I was making was in reference to why other countries have a release date and the US doesn't. Somebody made the comment that Microsoft (M$) doesn't care about the US market and is only concerned about the global.

Sorry, my bad.. Thats what happens when I go right to unread messages, lose the train of references from which post was submitted..

DCProjMgr

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
So now that there are confirmed ship dates for the 950/XL in several other countries WP10 is clearly not holding up this phone. Obviously there are no manufacturing issues either. No word on USA release dates, preorders, or anything else for that matter since Oct 6th. Can we finally acknowledge that M$ just doesn't care about the US release of these devices?

W10M is reportedly done. Microsoft has lined up a press event November 12 to talk about the Windows 10 Mobile release (including OTA updates for existing phones) as well as Xbox updates and the release of the fall refresh of Windows 10. I would expect preorders to go live then with shipping to follow. November 20 has been the rumored release date for the AT&T 950.

You see? It's all going according to plan.

richwolf

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I love my L1020 so I've been waiting and waiting. Does anyone have a good rumor of when AT&T will offer the L950? I've read it's 11/20 but it looks like a rumor.

eshy

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
Honestly pre-orders mean nada, B&H says expected ship date of Dec. 15th.. That's just a shot in the dark, they don't know anymore then we do when it will be released.. just they're guesstimate, I would bet we'll have them on or within the next 2 weeks..

I was told by a Microsoft sales manager (not a store rep) who was showing the phones off at an event that they'll be released by the end of the month. I asked him to be more specific and he said "before thanksgiving".

we'll find out soon enough if he knew what he's talking about...

B&H, which in the past sold unlocked imported Lumias, is probably going off the release dates for the European models they plan on selling.

peachy001

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Went in to Carphone Warehouse today, I felt sorry for him. I asked the guy about release date etc, first thing he did was turn on his tablet (they have one each). He then said early December, based on what the screen said. I asked if that was based in something in particular, he shows me the screen, he was on the Tech Radar website. I asked about pre-order, he tapped again and told me about Amazon. He also said to check the Carphone Warehouse website. There was one positive, he said that he had seen both 950 devices recently at a convention. He said they looked great.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Decided while I was waiting for the 950XL I just ordered a Nokia DT910 Wireless Charging Stand, brand new in sealed box for $19 on ebay w/free shipping, figured what the heck. Might pick up a Wireless Charging pad for work next lol..

jmagwp

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
I was told by a Microsoft sales manager (not a store rep) who was showing the phones off at an event that they'll be released by the end of the month. I asked him to be more specific and he said "before thanksgiving".

we'll find out soon enough if he knew what he's talking about...

B&H, which in the past sold unlocked imported Lumias, is probably going off the release dates for the European models they plan on selling.

I went to a Microsoft Ignite event on Thursday and they said November 27th for both the 950 and XL. But I missed the keynote and was told that by an attendee, so maybe he misheard. But it does sound like towards the end of November is solid.

On another note, a Microsoft rep told me Verizon support won't be coming until Spring 2016 at the earliest. Microsoft is rebuilding it's phone business and focusing on GSM first given its much wider global support. But Microsoft knows the feedback regarding the lack of a Verizon phone and are working on it. I'm sure the politics is strong within both Microsoft and Verizon. The rep also said Microsoft will be building just a few models going forward because the number of models being released by Nokia wasn't sustainable given the difficulty with testing and such.

Regarding the GSM phones, he said the 950XL will be available through the Microsoft Store, the 950 directly from AT&T, and that they will also work on T-Mobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans