950XL Waiting Room

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
I've had every iPhone there has been. Currently using the 6S Plus. But because of how much I love my Surface Pro 4, I've ordered the 640 for $60 as my first ever Windows Phone. I can already tell I'm going to be desperately tempted to sell my 6S Plus to find a 950 XL!!

Yep I heard that, after 10 months with my Surface Pro 3 I sold my Note 4 and picked up a 640XL for $100 and eagerly awaiting my 950XL.. I truly feel MS is onto something despite the naysayers lurking around here.. Is it just me or does the 640XL w/WP8.1 just feels like a adult/big person's phone compared to the iPhone & Android with all they're widgets and pages and pages of little icons?? lol

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Yep I heard that, after 10 months with my Surface Pro 3 I sold my Note 4 and picked up a 640XL for $100 and eagerly awaiting my 950XL.. I truly feel MS is onto something despite the naysayers lurking around here.. Is it just me or does the 640XL w/WP8.1 just feels like a adult/big person's phone compared to the iPhone & Android with all they're widgets and pages and pages of little icons?? lol

Ow hard was it leaving Androids ecosystem, especially the app selection? That's really my only reservation leaving iOS is the fact that when I need an app, 99.9% of the time it's there when I search.

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
I almost bought an iPhone 6s+ 2-3 times the past couple of weeks. I want a 950xl alot but I'm really weary of paying thousands of dollars to beta test Microsoft products. From the original surface pro (which I love and still use but am tired of) the Lumia 920, the 1520 ( which I've had for the better part of 2 years) the hd7, I've been in a perpetual beta, and "this next phone will be the one" cycle for sooo long and it's frankly exhausting. Now to buy this phone KNOWING that panos hasn't had a chance to really put his imagination on what a next gen phone really is made of. Makes me feel like I'm putting my money into ANOTHER beta/ placeholder device. Sighs the life of a windows lover I guess. Thanks Ballmer. 🙍🏾

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I've read a lot of stories about lack of availability of the Lumia 950 and 950 XL. So I'm surprised to be able to say I have confirmation from Microsoft dated 05/11/15 that my Lumia 950 XL will be despatched to me on 27/11/15 and I also see it in my basket in my Microsoft account marked pre-order. On 05/11/15 I had received a call from Microsoft asking if I would like to place my order. So I did. I had previously signed up to be notified when available.

Where are you located? What country?

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I almost bought an iPhone 6s+ 2-3 times the past couple of weeks. I want a 950xl alot but I'm really weary of paying thousands of dollars to beta test Microsoft products. From the original surface pro (which I love and still use but am tired of) the Lumia 920, the 1520 ( which I've had for the better part of 2 years) the hd7, I've been in a perpetual beta, and "this next phone will be the one" cycle for sooo long and it's frankly exhausting. Now to buy this phone KNOWING that panos hasn't had a chance to really put his imagination on what a next gen phone really is made of. Makes me feel like I'm putting my money into ANOTHER beta/ placeholder device. Sighs the life of a windows lover I guess. Thanks Ballmer. 

Me thinks you would end up with the same disappointment in Apple world. If you got a 6s, next week/month you'll start seeing rumors about the 7.

My first PC was a 386DX2/66, and I was excited to have a DX2! Now we have Atoms in our tablets, and Qualcomms in our phones that make the 386 look like a solar powered calculator.

As techies, we need to keep our expectations in check... there's always going to be something newer coming. At least until we all have holodecks. :cool:

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
With Wirth's Law theoretically cancelling out any benefits of Moore's Law, we'd technically be content using our old Tandys and Commodores, and wouldn't be pestered at all moments away from the PC.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
U missed his point....he was not worried about the next big thing.....he is worried about the next big thing for MS always being in "beta"....
If people haven't noticed, this is changing. MS Band 1 was a beta, yes, but that was made known from the beginning. The Band 2 is no beta. Surface Pro 4 and Surfacebook aren't beta.

Before, everything seemed to be decided by committee. MS now has someone at the helm of devices that knows how to deliver.

True the 950s were started before he took over, but they were finished by his team. These will not be Beta devices.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Pre-order for the 950XL opened in Hong Kong's Microsoft online store yesterday and I immediately placed my order for a white one. Apparently they will ship around 27th this month. Can't wait to get it to replace my 1520.

While everyone hoped that pre-order extra goodies would be the Continuum Dock but here it comes in the form of a Microsoft Universal Foldable Keyboard and, much more interestingly, a Jack Spade branded phone case (not sure if it is a full case or a replacement cover) said to have a combined value of about 150 USD. Jack Spade is a fashion brand that makes some pretty nice high end leather cases for iPhones, so if Microsoft got more of these fashion concious accessory guys to make cases for the 950 this could really help with spicing up the plain design of the phone.

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Wow! Getting the keyboard would be a great bonus. It would allow you to connect wirelessly to everything for the continuum experience.

Yeah originally I didn't think too much of it, but after rethinking about it the keyboard would actually be a great piece of kit for me when I travel as I have a both an iPad and a Xperia Z4 Tablet which I could use with that keyboard. I already have a Miracast adaptor so the dock is less important to me.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I almost bought an iPhone 6s+ 2-3 times the past couple of weeks. I want a 950xl alot but I'm really weary of paying thousands of dollars to beta test Microsoft products. From the original surface pro (which I love and still use but am tired of) the Lumia 920, the 1520 ( which I've had for the better part of 2 years) the hd7, I've been in a perpetual beta, and "this next phone will be the one" cycle for sooo long and it's frankly exhausting. Now to buy this phone KNOWING that panos hasn't had a chance to really put his imagination on what a next gen phone really is made of. Makes me feel like I'm putting my money into ANOTHER beta/ placeholder device. Sighs the life of a windows lover I guess. Thanks Ballmer. 🙍🏾

Been using a 6S+ for a week until the 950XL. I already have my 950XL preordered and was trying out the iPhone. Apple has came a long ways since the last time I have used an iPhone (3G) so it's been a welcome change. Everything just works and just so smooth and the apps are ten times better integrated than they are on Windows.

My moment of truth will be tonight when I go to Microsoft Device Night here and get to play with the 950 and 950XL's (if they bring them) and see if I return my iPhone and wait for the 950XL or keep it and just use Microsoft services on my iPhone.

asellite

Jun 11, 2015
Visit site
So excited! I'm a little nervous about my switch from Verizon to AT&T though. Been with Verizon for almost 14 years. If the 950 isn't a good reason to switch though I'm not sure what is.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
So I think something is up. Came to the Microsoft Device Night event and they have:

1. Surface Book
2. Surface Pro 3
3. Surface Pro 4
4. Lumia 950

No 950XL anywhere. We "possibly" have a date for the 950 on AT&T and other sites but none for the XL and no sighting at their own event in Los Angeles. What's up with that?

The 950 while good is small to me coming from an 1520 so what the heck. Microsoft pushing my emotions.

Edit: They just said the units they have on 950XL had unstable software and they are not planning to sell them in States except via Microsoft stores unlocked. I'm guessing no carriers picked up the XL and only have picked up the 950's.

This is from Microsoft Device Night event.

Last edited:

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
So I think something is up. Came to the Microsoft Device Night event and they have:

1. Surface Book
2. Surface Pro 3
3. Surface Pro 4
4. Lumia 950

No 950XL anywhere. We "possibly" have a date for the 950 on AT&T and other sites but none for the XL and no sighting at their own event in Los Angeles. What's up with that?

The 950 while good is small to me coming from an 1520 so what the heck. Microsoft pushing my emotions.

Edit: They just said the units they have on 950XL had unstable software and they are not planning to sell them in States except via Microsoft stores unlocked. I'm guessing no carriers picked up the XL and only have picked up the 950's.

This is from Microsoft Device Night event.
I'm pretty confused right now.... "unstable software"? Are they running Sailfish or something?

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
I'm pretty confused right now.... "unstable software"? Are they running Sailfish or something?

From what I gathered whatever software they was running on them were "glitchy" and thus they didn't want to have them out for people to use and be disappointed. It's confusing to me as well because they had a bunch of 950's. So unless they are talking about like Windows Hello or something else they should be running the same stuff.

Anyways, they had no 950 XL's present, supposedly only Microsoft is selling them and they won't be back in stores to try out until the day they are ready to be sold. Color me confused as well.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
So they aren't ready, don't want us to have them, but want to sell them to us still via the Microsoft store?

So to narrow the scope since I was typing quickly as I heard the information.

Microsoft Device Night

1. Microsoft Lumia 950's are present there was at least 12 present at the event.

2. A question was asked by an attendee asking about the availability of the 950XL and why they weren't present.

3. The response/answer was that the software was glitchy and the didn't want to bring them, hence the reason why they wasn't present at the event.

4. A question was asked availability of the 950XL and support from other carriers.

5. The response was that they are still working with Sprint/T-Mobile. He said that the 950XL (when available) will be sold in the Microsoft store only as it's more of an international phone.

6. The question was asked about when the phones will back back in stores to play with/ have a demo unit.

7. The response was that for the 950XL they won't be in the stores until the day of release.

SideNote: This is a guy at a Microsoft Device Night event and is probably not a high up employee like Satya and them.

In response to #5, in my opinion it sounds like nobody is picking up the 950XL as far as carriers hence the reason why he said only Microsoft stores will be selling them. It looks like an international only device which will be sold here only in Microsoft stores due to them carrying everything and they will be sold unlocked to work on most carriers (maybe minus Verizon?)

This also probably explain the reason why we have only heard the 950 having a release date from AT&T and not the XL model.

Hopefully, this clarifies anything with a little of my opinion at the bottom.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte