950XL Waiting Room

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
So they aren't ready, don't want us to have them, but want to sell them to us still via the Microsoft store?

Demo units that probably came off the factory floor a few weeks ago won't have the latest OS so it's going to be glitchy, nothing unusual about that. Heck the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 review units they gave to the reviewers weren't completely ready either, this is entirely normal.

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Demo units that probably came off the factory floor a few weeks ago won't have the latest OS so it's going to be glitchy, nothing unusual about that. Heck the Surface Book and Surface Pro 4 review units they gave to the reviewers weren't completely ready either, this is entirely normal.
I get what you're saying, but isn't the 950/950XL running the same software?

TheBadGuy_88

Oct 28, 2012
Visit site
My moment of truth will be tonight when I go to Microsoft Device Night here and get to play with the 950 and 950XL's (if they bring them) and see if I return my iPhone and wait for the 950XL or keep it and just use Microsoft services on my iPhone.

So how do you feel after using the 950?
What were your impressions?
Did you get to demo windows hello?
What build was on the 950?
Did it snap you out of iPhone nirvana?
Did you feel like you made the right choice going iOS?
Overall thoughts?
Fill us in on the phone!

houkoholic

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I get what you're saying, but isn't the 950/950XL running the same software?

Probably not actually, since we all know that each device gets their own device specific firmware/build of the OS, so it could very well be that the 950XL has specific issues that aren't present in the 950.

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
So how do you feel after using the 950?
What were your impressions?
Did you get to demo windows hello?
What build was on the 950?
Did it snap you out of iPhone nirvana?
Did you feel like you made the right choice going iOS?
Overall thoughts?
Fill us in on the phone!

Impressions of the 950 were good. I'm not a fan of the small device as like mentioned before I would be coming from a 1520. Didn't check the build on it; forgot to do that, but I would guess the latest build it was too much stuff happening.

The camera worked great, it's very clear and most of the apps were working. Edge crashed on me on one demo. Windows Hello were not on any of the devices present, not to say it not on the device but they probably wanted quick access to phone.

They only had the black models at the event, they showed off continuum with miracast and with a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse. It's a nice size device thicker than an iPhone.

About my current iPhone nirvana lol, unfortunately I still favor my iPhone. Just found out I can automatically upload all my pictures taken to OneDrive, all my Microsoft Apps are here and working properly (OneNote, PowerPoint, OneDrive) group messages sync better and apps are full and complete etc, etc. I have until the 21st to return my iPhone so unless something develops with the 950XL I will probably keep my iPhone. iOS to me is not a choice as most people claim as to me everything just works and is easy and accessible. Maybe because everything is integrated and first party instead of sort-of integrated on Windows and third-party (6tag, 4th & mayor, Metrotube). Off-topic but one thing that kind of got me staying is that I bought an Apple Watch to try out with my iPhone to get the "full experience" and I liked how my iPhone was on 10% and I was able to transfer my phone call from my phone to my watch and continue it while my phone charged.

So to conclude, many people will be happy with the 950 and Windows 10. If any of you guys have used the preview builds they have improved on a lot of things. In some regards it's better than Windows 8.1, I do find some of the aesthetic choices bad but that's another debate. But the camera works fast, one unified store, mail is now all unified like my iPhone instead of separate like it was on 8.1. The only thing I hate compared to my iPhone that I still hate is that to edit photos I have to switch over to Lumia Creative Studio, I still find that annoying. 950 will be a success for Windows fans it's a step in the right direction and improvement from the 920/1020 crowd but it's kind of meh for me who fall in the 1520 crowd. Continuum if you are into that type of thing will be great.

Jere Kujansuu

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Probably not actually, since we all know that each device gets their own device specific firmware/build of the OS, so it could very well be that the 950XL has specific issues that aren't present in the 950.

Yes. Thats how it is. It can also be late cause that problem noticed too late and its pretty likely. That was told by my friend who work at microsoft...(Old nokia worker)

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site

could be related to screen size and scaling... there was a bug early on that stopped previews coming to the larger phones, including the 1520, but that was a LONG time back...
Here's hoping they can fix whats wrong soon... im still aiming for the 950XL and not the 950

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
could be related to screen size and scaling... there was a bug early on that stopped previews coming to the larger phones, including the 1520, but that was a LONG time back...
Here's hoping they can fix whats wrong soon... im still aiming for the 950XL and not the 950

Same here, hope the XL will be ready on the 20th like the 950!!

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
So with the announcement of 10586 for mobile being delayed until next week, I suppose my hopes of the 950xl going on sale this weekend have been dashed. Looks like the 20th is still the most likely day, unless something unexpected happens.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
So while we're waiting for the 950XL:

On MotoMaker, I know it's possible to buy a carrier sim for US$5 (since my wife is considering one).

Does anyone know if ATT in the US will just replace my existing mini-sim with a new nano-sim for the 950XL? Is there likely to be a way to just buy the sim from MS when I pre-order?

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

On MotoMaker, I know it's possible to buy a carrier sim for US$5 (since my wife is considering one).

Does anyone know if ATT in the US will just replace my existing mini-sim with a new nano-sim for the 950XL? Is there likely to be a way to just buy the sim from MS when I pre-order?
SIMs cost about a penny to make. T-Mobile will give customers a new SIM if they change to a phone with a different size SIM, They gave me a nano when I bought my 1520.3, so they don't even care if it's a phone they sell.

I would expect AT&T to do the same. If they won't and you don't like other alternatives, you can DIY. There are adapters to use a smaller SIM in a phone that takes a larger one and larger SIMs can be trimmed to make a smaller size which kind of makes you wonder why they didn't start with nano size.

If you keep a backup phone that uses a different SIM size, one or the other needs an adapter anyway.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Yes, ATT will replace your sim free of charge. If not, just go to another store and ask nicely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos