950XL Waiting Room

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
November 26... as in Thanksgiving day. Microsoft not only makes their employee work on Thanksgiving but also releases a new product?

Yeah that is Thanksgiving day! That's what he said! That is what the guy at the call center tried to tell me yesterday then he said the 25th. I don't believe any of them anymore. Why doesn't Microsoft announce the date so there is no confusion. Man they have a lot to learn!

Thazal

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Yeah that is Thanksgiving day! That's what he said! That is what the guy at the call center tried to tell me yesterday then he said the 25th. I don't believe any of them anymore. Why doesn't Microsoft announce the date so there is no confusion. Man they have a lot to learn!

I was told the same thing in Portland Oregon and I kind of laughed myself out of the store. If they don't release a date then they don't have to back track if something goes wrong.

NYCMetsPDX

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I was told the same thing in Portland Oregon and I kind of laughed myself out of the store. If they don't release a date then they don't have to back track if something goes wrong.

Good to see a fellow Portlander excited about this phone. Yeah, I've found the folks at the store (Pioneer Place Location) have about as much a clue about the date as we do unfortunately...but at least we don't have to pay sales tax!

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
You are so right MusicMan. There has been enough different information distributed that all you can do is wait until it hits the store. Every rep is sure of what they are saying but there is always one to contradict the other. Over it!

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
Good to see a fellow Portlander excited about this phone. Yeah, I've found the folks at the store (Pioneer Place Location) have about as much a clue about the date as we do unfortunately...but at least we don't have to pay sales tax!

Yep, another Portlander here. I've been to the kiosk at Washington Square a couple times but they don't know any more than what I've heard here. I ordered a white 950XL online yesterday. If I'm reading correctly, it looks like I can add Microsoft Complete after I receive the phone. Thinking about doing that.

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
This may already be known, but I went to the Pacific Place (downtown Seattle) kiosk to verify that the free dock was available via the in-store preorders. They had no idea what I was talking about - there were 5 people on shift and none of them even knew the date had been announced because when I said 'they're confirmed for the 26th, will you have preorders in-store that day?' the manager said they couldn't confirm any dates at this point. Anyway, long story short they went to the retail website and 'confirmed' everything I said by reading the verbiage there but still couldn't answer, with any certainty, whether the in-store preorders qualified for the dock. They will probably be the same as the mail order, where you have to register the phone then get a discount code for use on the store site. I came back and preordered online simply because the staff didn't seem to know anything and I didn't want to risk that.

Ben Schmidt1

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
This may already be known, but I went to the Pacific Place (downtown Seattle) kiosk to verify that the free dock was available via the in-store preorders. They had no idea what I was talking about - there were 5 people on shift and none of them even knew the date had been announced because when I said 'they're confirmed for the 26th, will you have preorders in-store that day?' the manager said they couldn't confirm any dates at this point. Anyway, long story short they went to the retail website and 'confirmed' everything I said by reading the verbiage there but still couldn't answer, with any certainty, whether the in-store preorders qualified for the dock. They will probably be the same as the mail order, where you have to register the phone then get a discount code for use on the store site. I came back and preordered online simply because the staff didn't seem to know anything and I didn't want to risk that.

The guy at my kiosk stated that the XL got the docking station with the preorder in store.

occamsmonkey

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
The guy at my kiosk stated that the XL got the docking station with the preorder in store.

I left my preorder active in case of that (and in case they happened to get inventory early). But this kiosk had no clue. Where was yours? This one is a stone's throw from an actual MS building, so I'd hoped they would have been a bit better trained.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Ok, spoke to the manager of my local kiosk. They got a late comm from corporate that the 950 xl would be available in-store on November 26. Yes, Thanksgiving. He was 100% sure on that. Even lamented that they would be open at 6am that day.

When I asked about going to another store (since I will be out of town), he said pre-orders could only be fulfilled at the store at which they were made. I asked about just buying one, no pre-order. He said that what was being communicated at the moment was that there wouldn't be any extras unless you happen to be at one of the larger stores. He said Galleria in Houston was the third largest store and might have some extras, but warned me it would be crazy.

They did show me the display dock and cases had come in for the AT&T 950, and that they would have them for sale on Friday. He also said the free display dock promotion would be honored. Don't know if that means they will give one right then (since they have them), or if it's the mail-in thing still.

So now I have a decision to make: Buy an AT&T 950 outright and get it unlocked and have it on Friday, or wait until Monday the 30th (when I'll be back in town) to pick up my pre-ordered 950 xl. Tough choice.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Ok, spoke to the manager of my local kiosk. They got a late comm from corporate that the 950 xl would be available in-store on November 26. Yes, Thanksgiving. He was 100% sure on that. Even lamented that they would be open at 6am that day.

When I asked about going to another store (since I will be out of town), he said pre-orders could only be fulfilled at the store at which they were made. I asked about just buying one, no pre-order. He said that what was being communicated at the moment was that there wouldn't be any extras unless you happen to be at one of the larger stores. He said Galleria in Houston was the third largest store and might have some extras, but warned me it would be crazy.

They did show me the display dock and cases had come in for the AT&T 950, and that they would have them for sale on Friday. He also said the free display dock promotion would be honored. Don't know if that means they will give one right then (since they have them), or if it's the mail-in thing still.

So now I have a decision to make: Buy an AT&T 950 outright and get it unlocked and have it on Friday, or wait until Monday the 30th (when I'll be back in town) to pick up my pre-ordered 950 xl. Tough choice.

Hmmm.... race you to the Galleria on thanksgiving day :)
its only 20 miles from me...

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

Good Lord so the day really is Thanksgiving day! Thanks for the info. By the way you do know that they only hold pre-orders for 72 hours right?
What a fiasco this is. Why release a new device on Thanksgiving day! Oh well once again I have my date such that it is. That day will be here in no time. :evil:

winboy

Apr 11, 2014
Visit site

I just called my local Microsoft store and spoke with a salesman and he told me the same exact thing, that release day is Nov 26 and when asked about the dock he said it will be "included" with my 950 XL. I will also be out of town for Thanksgiving with my family and asked if I could just pick one up from another Microsoft store. His answer was I would have to pick mine up from my local store where I had pre ordered it the following week after my return. Bummer!!! Oh well.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Get the XL. But if you don't, you can get the AT&T unlocked immediately if you don't activate it until after its unlocked. AT&T will issue unlock codes for even a brand new AT&T phone for non-AT&T customers. I've done it many times with AT&T L640s But unlocked it still is an A&T phone which historically means you could only get updates when AT&T feels like it even if you are using it on another carrier. I think that's a good reason to wait and get a factory unlocked phone when you get home.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel