950XL Waiting Room

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Good Lord so the day really is Thanksgiving day! Thanks for the info. By the way you do know that they only hold pre-orders for 72 hours right?
What a fiasco this is. Why release a new device on Thanksgiving day! Oh well once again I have my date such that it is. That day will be here in no time. :evil:

Yes. He gave me his card and told me to email him and that he would hold mine until I got back.

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
Get the XL. But if you don't, you can get the AT&T unlocked immediately if you don't activate it until after its unlocked. AT&T will issue unlock codes for even a brand new AT&T phone for non-AT&T customers. I've done it many times with AT&T L640s But unlocked it still is an A&T phone which historically means you could only get updates when AT&T feels like it even if you are using it on another carrier. I think that's a good reason to wait and get a factory unlocked phone when you get home.

Okay, so can you clarify a bit for somebody who's never unlocked a phone...

If I walked into an AT&T store (customer or non-customer) and bought a 950, would they unlock it? Would I have to buy it out-right to get it unlocked?

If it's AT&T branded I'm really going to be tied to when they release updates even if unlocked? (I know I could set the phone to Insider previews to bypass that.)

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm considering going with a 950 instead of the XL, only because AT&T has a deal to get a Surface 3 for $399. Does anybody know of an equal or better deal for a Surface 3?

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Great..... Thanksgiving. So instead of being rude and using my new phone at the dinner table, I'll be rude and not be near my family for the first part of the day.... What a dumpster fire this has become lol.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Great..... Thanksgiving. So instead of being rude and using my new phone at the dinner table, I'll be rude and not be near my family for the first part of the day.... What a dumpster fire this has become lol.
Don't you mean "I'll also" in place of "instead of"?

If all MS stores are opening early like my local one is (6am), you should be able to head out early, pick up your phone, and be back in time to make lunch.

BB10QNX

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Re: 950XL waiting room.

Will be waiting to see if a VZW working version comes along..decided not to go Bloid either :wink: - this device looks interesting.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Now I've taken to check my order status frequently. I assume everyone that pre-ordered from the US site yesterday shows "Ships by November 25" as mine does? Order status is "Order in Process".

Just checked mine and it says;
Microsoft Lumia 950 XL - Unlocked (White). Quantity 1. Completed

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

If all MS stores are opening early like my local one is (6am), you should be able to head out early, pick up your phone, and be back in time to make lunch.

I IM'ed the wonderful call center they don't now what the hours are for my store, they basically don't know anything it was the most informative exchange I have ever had.

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

If I walked into an AT&T store (customer or non-customer) and bought a 950, would they unlock it? Would I have to buy it out-right to get it unlocked?

If it's AT&T branded I'm really going to be tied to when they release updates even if unlocked? (I know I could set the phone to Insider previews to bypass that.)

https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...tt.com%2Fdeviceunlock%2F%23%2F&token=MCTIxhSc

Postpaid (Next and contract), must wait 60 days, phone must be paid in full, then can request an unlock code, takes 3 days to get after review of all criteria for unlock is met. The phone will always have AT&T branding, splash screens and get loaded with AT&T apps (which are easy to uninstall) after a hard reset, if anything like my current experience as an 8.1 user, now an Insider who has switched from AT&T to an MVNO.

I don't see any gains from buying from AT&T and sticking with them for 2+ months. They will try and charge you for a full month's service if you cancel one minute after a billing cycle ends, so make sure 60 days is met.

Edit: 60 days is from their Unlock site I tried linking above. Sounds from HoosierD that 60 days of an AT&T customer may not be necessary. Talk to AT&T, mileage may vary.

Oh, and they won't unlock in store. They'll give you the above link.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site

Semantics: No, the store personnel won't unlock it. But a different department of AT&T will issue an unlock code if a non-AT&T customer requests it for a phone that is not linked to an AT&T account. I suspect its in response to complaints from people who buy a used phone and then find it can't be used on their carrier.

But the bottom line is you can go to a web page at AT&T.com and request an unlock code. You have to enter the device's IMEI which is usually on the outside of the box and you have to swear you are not and never were an AT&T customer. The next day, you will get the unlock code via email. Then YOU can use that code to unlock via a procedure built into any phone.

I have done this multiple times although using a different email each time just in case they flag multiples. I have never been an AT&T customer, so have no idea of their ability to verify that based on the information provided in the unlock request. In my situations, I never opened the box until I got the unlock code just in case their policy or procedure changed. That way I could return the phone no questions asked. I also never bought the phones at an AT&T store but at retailers like Best Buy or WalMart, so don't know if an AT&T store would flag that IMEI as owned by you and that the act of buying it in an AT&T store makes you an AT&T customer. So use at your own risk.

It does strike me as a practice they may have not thought all the way thru and could be subject to immediate change unless it was forced on them by the govt in response to complaints.

Note: getting it unlocked does not make it the same as a factory unlocked phone. It just means you can use it on other GSM carriers. All other disadvantages of a carrier phone still apply.

Copied from the request page:

General Requirements for All Unlock Requests

• The device must be designed for use on, and locked to, the AT&T wireless network.
  • It must not be reported lost or stolen.
  • It’s not associated with fraudulent activity.
  • All the device’s service commitments and installment plans are completed, and all early termination fees are paid in full.
  • The device is not currently active on a different AT&T customer’s account.
  • If you performed an early upgrade, you must wait the 14-day buyer’s remorse period before you can request to unlock your previous device.
Non-AT&T Mobility Customers

• You’ve never had an AT&T wireless account and you meet the General Requirements for unlock requests.

There is also fine print at the bottom saying you can't ask for more than 100 unlock codes per month! LoL

Last edited:

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
Sweet! Mine still says in process. Did you get a tracking number?

No, i believe that just means they verified my funds through Paypal because Paypal is showing order placed but payment pending, I'm taking that means when it ships then the transaction will be complete at they're end.
I'm sure it will show shipped once MS does send it..
At order history on the left where there's a arrow pull down when i checked "In Progress" that page is blank so I am past the process stage..

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

I just called mine they told me they open at 6:00 PM that they would call me ahead of time to tell me that I can come pick up my phone (if they call me the day before they should let me get it the day be fore) anyway so I called ATT to find out what time they open and they open at 6:00 PM so I guess the whole mall opens at 6:00 PM on Thanksgiving day. Guess I will be planning my evening around Microsoft and ATT.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
I just called mine they told me they open at 6:00 PM that they would call me ahead of time to tell me that I can come pick up my phone (if they call me the day before they should let me get it the day be fore) anyway so I called ATT to find out what time they open and they open at 6:00 PM so I guess the whole mall opens at 6:00 PM on Thanksgiving day. Guess I will be planning my evening around Microsoft and ATT.
I will be sitting at my parents' house with my family reading tearfully about how all of you got your phones.

geekladyemjay

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I will be sitting at my parents' house with my family reading tearfully about how all of you got your phones.

Aww I feel your pain. You can live vicariously through us until you get yours. I just made arrangements with my husband on how Thanksgiving day is going to go. LOL "Arrangement" Short story we will be at the mall at 6:00 PM.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiebention