950XL Waiting Room

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
But the bottom line is you can go to a web page at AT&T.com and request an unlock code. You have to enter the device's IMEI which is usually on the outside of the box and you have to swear you are not and never were an AT&T customer. The next day, you will get the unlock code via email. Then YOU can use that code to unlock via a procedure built into any phone.

Note: getting it unlocked does not make it the same as a factory unlocked phone. It just means you can use it on other GSM carriers. All other disadvantages of a carrier phone still apply.

Thanks.

(I know I might get flamed but here goes. :amaze: )

I've been an AT&T/Cingular/AT&T customer for a while, and have been pretty happy. A few years back when they adjusted their shared data plans, I ended up with more data for less money each month without even having to make a phone call, they just did it for me.

Other than the 'bloatware' they put on phones and taking the phone to another carrier, which I don't foresee doing, what are other disadvantages of having a carrier phone? (I can bypass carrier update lockouts by going insider with Microsoft.)

Ben Schmidt1

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
Details of your Microsoft purchase

Thanks for stopping by
Receipt Details
Order number: **************
Date purchased: 11/17/2015
Item Description Qty Price

Pre-order Microsoft Lumia 950 Black
Product sku: 29G-01244
Price: $0.00 1 $0.00

Pre-order Microsoft Lumia 950 XL White
Product sku: 29G-01243
Price: $0.00 1 $0.00
Summary of Charges

Order subtotal: $0.00
Order total: $0.00

I wanted the White 950... but they said at that point I could only get it in black.

I'll be switching from Verizon.

I'm also going to be getting a 3rd party back panel, so it doesn't matter what color they come in.

Ordered both so I can decide which one I want after playing around with the phones.... since the kiosk didn't have them to preview before this point.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Other than the 'bloatware' they put on phones and taking the phone to another carrier, which I don't foresee doing, what are other disadvantages of having a carrier phone? (I can bypass carrier update lockouts by going insider with Microsoft.)
I can't tell you the specific ones just that they will still apply. Some may not even be publicized. Some things like no Qi charging or half the memory can't be hidden but other carrier customization might not become apparent without 3rd party testing and tear-downs.

As for the Insider Program, there is NO commitment for MS to continue that indefinitely. It will only exist as long as it benefits them.

You should NEVER assume a company is doing things out of the goodness of their hearts or aren't doing something for ulterior motives.

Remember how all Lumias after a certain date would get Denim? When that became more trouble than it was worth (for MS), they simply re-branded an earlier firmware as Denim. Promise fulfilled.

Remember when all Lumias after a certain date were going to get W10? Now that is only true if you count the Insider Program. Did MS intentionally mislead customers by NOT telling them they would only be getting W10 in a form possibly never tested on their phone with no assurance it would run on said phone but only after agreeing to a laundry list of warnings including its on you if your phone is bricked? And I might add, that one day after WM10 is released, MS would not need the Insider Program to make good on the promise that customers could upgrade to WM10. If anyone didn't do it on day one, its on them, not MS.

Do I think MS will pull the plug on Insider the day after WM10 is released? No, but I also don't think it will be there any longer than it helps them more than it costs them. And I believe that (for example) if the carriers decided MS had to kill Insider for them to push Windows phones and stuck to their guns, it could be gone the next day.

mkenyon2

Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I can't tell you the specific ones just that they will still apply. Some may not even be publicized. Some things like no Qi charging or half the memory can't be hidden but other carrier customization might not become apparent without 3rd party testing and tear-downs.

As for the Insider Program, there is NO commitment for MS to continue that indefinitely. It will only exist as long as it benefits them.

True points... good to consider. I might still consider an AT&T phone... I'm still thinking tho.

ceraf

Jan 4, 2013
Visit site
Joined the 950XL waiting room. Was considering switching over to the Sony Xperia Z5 or Z5 Premium, but for some reason decided that wireless charging and the usb-c dock were more appealing.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
True points... good to consider. I might still consider an AT&T phone... I'm still thinking tho.
I'm not saying there are BIG risks or likely problems. My philosophy is jump at any risk with good payoff odds but avoid any with no or little payoff (for me) regardless of the magnitude of the risks.

litster

Nov 16, 2015
Visit site
So now I have 3 950XL phones on order. One pre-ordered at a B&M Microsoft store. One on microsoftstore.com. And a dual-SIM 950XL from B and H. Come to think about it, I really want a dual-SIM phone because I do have 2 SIMs and using 2 different phone right now. Having a dual-SIM 950XL is huge selling point for me over other flagship phones out there. It is easier to over look the lack of apps with this feature.

I have going to start using whichever comes first, cancel the other one, and when the dual-SIM version is shipped, I will give the first one to my son. :)

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
So now I have 3 950XL phones on order. One pre-ordered at a B&M Microsoft store. One on microsoftstore.com. And a dual-SIM 950XL from B and H.
Ooooh. Dopplegangers DO exist.

Unless your MS orders aren't both black or your B&H order isn't white. But I'd rather not know than shatter the illusion.

Ben Schmidt1

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
I verified that the 950/xl will work on Net10... can't complain about $50/month unlimited text/talk and 5gb unthrottled 4g lte speeds.... no I'm not a sales person for net10

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying there are BIG risks or likely problems. My philosophy is jump at any risk with good payoff odds but avoid any with no or little payoff (for me) regardless of the magnitude of the risks.

I do not know what differences there will be, but AT&T has made some huge changes to other phones. One that does not apply to windows phone, but does to Android, is having text read over Bluetooth and dictating replies. With AT&T they have removed that functionality, there may be ways to add it in, but it is difficult. AT&T also has routinely removed network functions. I do not know why one needs this, but some people do. In past phones, you could restrict phones from using 4G, but use 3G instead, not on AT&T. There have been a couple others that effected Windows Phone in the past, but I cannot think of them off the top of my head.

Ben Schmidt1

Jan 29, 2015
Visit site
"We are much glad to do business with you and really appreciate you considering Net10 as your service provider. However, we are currently not supporting hotspot with our Bring Your Own Phone services."

That's a bummer...

dullerm

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
So AT&T are shipping out 950s immediately. Come on, MS! Defy your own memo and get the xl in stores Friday!

That would be great but given how little and/or contradicting information you get from MS Store agents, I would be surprised MS could pull this off logistically :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)