950XL Waiting Room

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I am not taking any of the words literally myself as I know that sales and marketing people tend to mislead with words in order to make their product look attractive. With all the deception Microsoft has (past tense) used in making the 950 & 950XL seem to work on all carriers, it's been no surprise over the last few months seeing those who use Verizon and Spring express outrage at Microsoft for dropping the ball on the availability of these phones.

On the displays of the phone, it says that it doesn't work with CDMA...so how is that deception?

Mark Kaplan

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I am not taking any of the words literally myself as I know that sales and marketing people tend to mislead with words in order to make their product look attractive. With all the deception Microsoft has (past tense) used in making the 950 & 950XL seem to work on all carriers, it's been no surprise over the last few months seeing those who use Verizon and Spring express outrage at Microsoft for dropping the ball on the availability of these phones.

There's a whole thread about this topic here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/microsoft-lumia-950-xl/386522-will-unlocked-950xl-work-verizon.html

920Walker

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait for the day I can go into a Phone store (not carrier) in the states, buy the phone I like, take it home, connect to WiFi, open the Carrier app and select the carrier, plan and options I want, all with final pricing listed.

Yeah right, like the easy and sensible will ever happen.

Serpent1189

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I wouldn't doubt it. Windows Phones are niche devices, after all. Making a limited number of these at first to determine interest isn't a bad strategy.

I don't disagree, but the vagaries and mysteries only serve to irritate the biggest fans. Why is a company with a 1.7% marketshare being so hot and cold with the people who love its products the most? I never got that. If you're an Apple ******, you know the exact time and day that you can line up to get your new iDevice. Microsoft isn't a mom and pop operation.

Kha Bui

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
Created 2 white 950XL orders, one ship Nov 25 and one on Dec 11. Forgot to pay with paypal, now I have to deal with some cash T_T

markgrif

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
It just dawned on me that it says "Ships by", not "Ships on". This could mean that shipping is continuous and is guaranteed to be done by Nov. 25

phelme

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
just checked the mall hours where the local MS Store is. They are going to be open Thanksgiving evening, 6 PM - Midnight. Because of prior commitments that means I'll have to go in on Friday if I want to pick up my pre-ordered XL. Nightmare. :eck:

pallentx

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Is it fraud to call this an "unlocked" or "universal" phone if it isn't CDMA certified so that it is truly unlocked or able to be used universally? Words mean things.
Yes, words do mean things. In this case, the word "unlocked" means no carrier has locked it exclusively to their network. This phone is unlocked. You can use it on ATT, TMobile, or pretty much any carrier in Europe or the rest of the world. "Unlocked" does not mean "guaranteed to work on all carriers. Words mean things, you just have to understand the meanings. I get that its not easy and the waters get very murky in all this business or radio frequencies and protocols and such, but that isn't MS' fault and there is no intent of deception going on here. They are selling an unlocked phone. That is exactly the right word for it.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
"I'm hoping they will have stock in store. I'm fortunate to have a store in San Antonio that I'm going to check out on the 20th"

If you do not have a preorder good luck. My local store had a lot of preorders. What they get it is dependant on preorders. if they have 20 plus preorders then the preoders get filled and no stock left for walk ins.

Serpent1189

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
"I'm hoping they will have stock in store. I'm fortunate to have a store in San Antonio that I'm going to check out on the 20th"

If you do not have a preorder good luck. My local store had a lot of preorders. What they get it is dependant on preorders. if they have 20 plus preorders then the preoders get filled and no stock left for walk ins.

I think it would be helpful for folks who get preorder notices to let us know the terms (e.g. - will they hold it for 24 hours? 48?) so those of us without pre-orders (my last visit to an MS store was while they weren't taking preorders, so I'm out in the wild here hahah) can know when they will start moving down the list.

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I think it would be helpful for folks who get preorder notices to let us know the terms (e.g. - will they hold it for 24 hours? 48?) so those of us without pre-orders (my last visit to an MS store was while they weren't taking preorders, so I'm out in the wild here hahah) can know when they will start moving down the list.

I will try. I have a preorder in because they are giving me a 950 xl as a replacement for my dead 1520. As of 2 days ago they didnt even have the shipment in their systems yet. So I doubt they will have them in on friday.

The stores have no clue about anything until they actually get in their first shipment . keep in mind they won't know wwhen the shipment comes in until it arrives at their store.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon