950XL Waiting Room

bozvandam

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
I now notice that Argos are saying 'out of stock' on their website. I don't want to sound cynical but I'm wondering if they've been merrily taking orders based on what stock they think they'll be receiving and now they have none for whatever reason. What is the legality behind offering something and taking money on the belief you may have the stock to be able to sell it at some point in the future?

mei01

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
I now notice that Argos are saying 'out of stock' on their website. I don't want to sound cynical but I'm wondering if they've been merrily taking orders based on what stock they think they'll be receiving and now they have none for whatever reason. What is the legality behind offering something and taking money on the belief you may have the stock to be able to sell it at some point in the future?

I'm inclined to agree with you, and Argos have handled it terribly. I've been phoning them and Exertis (the supplier) today, and they basically said that they still don't have the stock, didn't know when to expect it, and would just contact when it's in.
I'm especially annoyed because I had a preorder with carphone warehouse too, which I cancelled. And even though they've delayed, at least they're sending units out!

bozvandam

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Just been into local Argos to experiment with ordering in person. Interestingly enough, when you type in the catalogue code for either colour 950xl it tells you to order your shiny new 550 at the counter.

Naval Patel

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Amazon pre-orders have now shifted to 20th December.

I spoke to Argos and demanded a refund. They have to wait for the supplier first.

I have ordered from CPW now. Hoping it will arrive tomorrow.

Last edited:

rickt1

Dec 1, 2015
Visit site
Put my Argos order on my credit card for extra protection at this rate I will have to make a monthly payment before I get the phone

filmalive

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
It isn't just Argos who are delaying orders.. Amazon have now moved their pre-orders from 12th December to 20th December. Clove were due stock today, speaking with them online they will not come in stock today, and they're not currently sure when. Mobile Fun is still expected in 3-5 days (but we shall see).

The problem with retailers is they shouldn't charge your cards until your order is ready to be shipped, however I do know that all retailers base their delivery dates, etc on stock expected from suppliers. If the supplier fails to deliver, or delays for any reason, the retailer is powerless other than to apologise to consumers

bozvandam

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
Put my Argos order on my credit card for extra protection at this rate I will have to make a monthly payment before I get the phone

I used my Argos card got when I needed a new washing machine last year (come to think of it that order was a disaster - will I ever learn?) so have 6 months credit. I jokingly commented that at this rate I'd start paying before the handset arrived and was told that when it eventually does I have to start again with their credit people to get the plan restarted on the date I got it not ordered it. Here we go again.

bozvandam

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
The problem with retailers is they shouldn't charge your cards until your order is ready to be shipped, however I do know that all retailers base their delivery dates, etc on stock expected from suppliers. If the supplier fails to deliver, or delays for any reason, the retailer is powerless other than to apologise to consumers

Exactly the problem. We need a change in consumer law so that these things are re-classified as 'orders' (pre-order means nothing really) and retailers cannot just guesstimate based on what stock they think they'll get.

Ausis74

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just contacted buymobiles.net and they have informed me that they are getting stock tomorrow, fingers crossed that mine is out for delivery on Wednesday... Otherwise I may walk into a CPW.

A_Pieman

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Just ordered from CPW, this is my fourth order for this phone although it's the first in white, as they claim they have stock, and I will probably get a replacement back when it's in my hands.

Argos, what can you say, over promise and under deliver... Terrible purchasing experience, the staff seem to try but the back end systems are poor. I won't be purchasing anything on a pre order from them again.

Now I have to get home, make myself a plate of sandwiches and ring Argos so I don't die of hunger while waiting for them to answer...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa