I'm venting. No doubt. I've sat and lamented long enough so I'm putting it to words:

The Microsoft band brought me back to Microsoft, and the latest "launch" had me running back to Alphabet (Google)

I bought the Band hoping for something...and it delivered. It was everything a wearable should be. Non-intrusive, intuitive, great for fitness, excellent extension of my phone. It in my eyes (despite some design shortcomings) was perfect and because it was so great I wanted more. I wanted the whole experience. I was due for an phone upgrade, but decided to forego my upgrade and try a MS phone. My option? 635. Yup, I'm on Sprint. I have 5 kids and from an expense standpoint there isn't a close second on price and there's nobody with unlimited data. Coverage here is fine. So I tried it.

And I liked it. A LOT. Even more when I saw the evolution of Windows 10 on an inferior device. I bought in. MS accounts used for everything. Technical preview on everything I was using (within reason) to see the future. And I did think I was seeing the future. My XBOX, and Phone, and Computers, and Cloud, and Band. And my excitement only grew as October announcements grew ever closer to complete the transformation.

Band 2? Heck yes, sign me up. New Surface? I'll take 2. New phone? Looks great - can't wait. Unlocked? I'll pay. Not on my network (or the #1 network in the US)? Ummmmm... huh? wait? The pinnacle of my efforts to unify my digital world won't be available? Not even an option? Can I switch networks. Sure, probably only cost me $200 a month (if only I switch) to AT&T. look, I've even got DirectTV... But I shouldn't HAVE to. and here is where it fails.

Now my phone is old (the 635 is great for the price, but not really even a mid-range hardware) and I'm needing to upgrade. But not to windows. So now i'm drifting back to android. I've put off the band 2. I'm considering a new tablet and it'll likely be android too because the ecosystem is slowly getting closer. and i'm a little pissed. because I know there is a better way. and i'm not alone.

anyway, the band brought me back. and now i'm heading away. maybe next time.

let the trolls begin...
    dkediger, POST-N and MichaelLopez like this.
    11-07-2015 12:49 PM
    I'm venting. No doubt. I've sat and lamented long enough so I'm putting it to words:

The Microsoft band brought me back to Microsoft, and the latest "launch" had me running back to Alphabet (Google)

I bought the Band hoping for something...and it delivered. It was everything a wearable should be. Non-intrusive, intuitive, great for fitness, excellent extension of my phone. It in my eyes (despite some design shortcomings) was perfect and because it was so great I wanted more. I wanted the whole experience. I was due for an phone upgrade, but decided to forego my upgrade and try a MS phone. My option? 635. Yup, I'm on Sprint. I have 5 kids and from an expense standpoint there isn't a close second on price and there's nobody with unlimited data. Coverage here is fine. So I tried it.

And I liked it. A LOT. Even more when I saw the evolution of Windows 10 on an inferior device. I bought in. MS accounts used for everything. Technical preview on everything I was using (within reason) to see the future. And I did think I was seeing the future. My XBOX, and Phone, and Computers, and Cloud, and Band. And my excitement only grew as October announcements grew ever closer to complete the transformation.

Band 2? Heck yes, sign me up. New Surface? I'll take 2. New phone? Looks great - can't wait. Unlocked? I'll pay. Not on my network (or the #1 network in the US)? Ummmmm... huh? wait? The pinnacle of my efforts to unify my digital world won't be available? Not even an option? Can I switch networks. Sure, probably only cost me $200 a month (if only I switch) to AT&T. look, I've even got DirectTV... But I shouldn't HAVE to. and here is where it fails.

Now my phone is old (the 635 is great for the price, but not really even a mid-range hardware) and I'm needing to upgrade. But not to windows. So now i'm drifting back to android. I've put off the band 2. I'm considering a new tablet and it'll likely be android too because the ecosystem is slowly getting closer. and i'm a little pissed. because I know there is a better way. and i'm not alone.

anyway, the band brought me back. and now i'm heading away. maybe next time.

let the trolls begin...
    Do what you want.
    It's a little disheartening that you assume you're going to get trolled.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-07-2015 01:20 PM
    I agree with you that it would be nice if we weren't hamstrung by our access/availability to certain networks. I remember being so pissed off when I was a teenager because it took an extra 5 years for the cable company to run lines down my road, so all my friends spent their highschool years watching MTV and learning how to be cool, and I was stuck watching MASH re-runs on UHF.

More currently, I cannot choose any carrier OTHER than AT&T because none of the other carriers have service in my area. 5 minutes down the road, sure. But my house? Black hole for cell signals, apparently.

All we can do is what we can with what we have.
    11-07-2015 01:40 PM
    The biggest problem is who do you blame? Verizon and Sprint, or Microsoft?

Like other threads have mentioned, the SoC that both the 950 and 950 XL use can handle the networks, but they have been disabled for some reason.

Too bad you're not on any other carrier besides those two though, then the unlocked version would work without a problem.
    11-07-2015 01:43 PM
    You + Wife + 5 kids + Cricket line bundling = you could get a great value on service and bring whatever phone you want.

Just saying. Shop around.
    11-07-2015 02:13 PM
    The biggest problem is who do you blame? Verizon and Sprint, or Microsoft?
    That is a very easy question to answer. You can use a 950 on almost every carrier including ones who don't sell them or promote Windows Phones. Microsoft loves it despite not getting any consideration from those carriers. Microsoft would love for Verizon customers to use 950s. The phone is apparently physically capable but not certified for CDMA and such certification would have been money down the drain for MS if CDMA carriers wouldn't commit to activating them.
    RumoredNow and TechFreak1 like this.
    11-07-2015 02:14 PM

More currently, I cannot choose any carrier OTHER than AT&T because none of the other carriers have service in my area. 5 minutes down the road, sure. But my house? Black hole for cell signals, apparently.
    T-Mobile offers free LTE mini-tower to boost indoor cell coverage is one possibility.
    11-07-2015 04:05 PM
    Can you 'boost' what does not exist?
    pankaj981 likes this.
    11-07-2015 04:18 PM
    Can you 'boost' what does not exist?
    Yes, because boost doesn't mean take the available signal and boost it. It means boost the area where you can use your phone.

You don't need any cell signal to use it. It would work 500 miles from the nearest tower. It sends everything thru your router. So you do have to have internet.
    11-07-2015 04:22 PM
    Try owning the phone... Buy without a contract instead of leasing it.
    libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    11-08-2015 11:36 AM
    People sure are impatient. We don't really know what is happening with the phones as MS has been pretty quiet. Rumors do speculate of one coming to Verizon, but again they are rumors. Only time will tell. But if you truly need a phone right then and there, then go for it and get something else.
    11-08-2015 01:37 PM
    As a guy who lives outside the US on another continent, this is very strange to me. I've seen all the topics about your Verizon and AT&T, but i still wonder why are those carriers doing what they do. It's 2015 for god's sake, everyone should be able to sell anything just to make more profit for themselves, and any phone should work worldwide by now, no matter if bought in India, Spain, Japan or US. This is silly. In Europe most of the phones work anywhere, no matter where you bought them, and all carriers sell all phones, at least in my country this is done so. Why would we make things complicated so people must change contracts just to use a phone they like.
    I will never understand the purpose of this..

Just felt i should say this, i know it's not straight on topic.
    To the OP: I hope you manage to find your way back to windows/microsoft one day. How come changing carrier costs you 200/month??? Can' you get the same kinda deal i have for 20€, unlimited plan with 5GB data plan or something?

Take care everyone
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-08-2015 04:51 PM
    I understand your frustration. I would like to point out that the Band 2 works with Android and iOS devices, so you can always grab a Band 2, a Surface, and an Android. They all work pretty good together and you can put all Microsoft services on your Android. You just won't have all the Microsoft or Band 2 features like "Hey Cortana" or any Cortana on the Band 2.

You could also look into something like Cricket and buy a Lumia 950 unlocked and take it with you. Some places will even pay off your contract for you if you switch to them. You'll just have to look around.

Not all is lost. Carriers like Verizon won't support Microsoft, and it's pointless for Microsoft to throw money at CDMA certification when Verizon still won't allow it. That's not Microsoft's fault. They've gone a long ways towards making sure you can get a Lumia 950 or 950 XL in your hand and have it work. I mean, CDMA is the "outdated" service standard and has really been replaced by GSM everywhere except for a few select places. Even Verizon will begin switching to GSM at some point (I heard rumors about Verizon testing GSM in 2016).
    ajj3085 and RumoredNow like this.
    11-08-2015 05:06 PM