11-12-2015 06:18 AM
82 1234
tools
    although I love Backberry hardware, I just cannot deal with Google and their data mining invasion of privacy tactics.
    Google only mines the data you allow it to mine. Exactly like Microsoft. If you think a Windows phone will mine less data than an Android, you're dead wrong. At any rate, there's a considerable difference between a Nexus and a BlackBerry with Android. BlackBerry changed the OS to make it "more secure" which means your privacy will be bigger there than on any other Android phone (hence the name "Priv"). IF you want to use apps like Gmail, Google Search etc, then of course Google will get data from you. Just like Microsoft gets when you use Outlook or Bing. But you're not forced to use those services.
    N_LaRUE and nmco9 like this.
    11-08-2015 02:32 PM
    Except MS never said they would abandon it and Blackberry did.
    Nadella clearly said they'd evaluate what works and what doesn't and cut on things that aren't working. He didn't mention WP specifically but honestly, with marketshare decreasing, sales massively decreasing and the division constantly turning in losses, it doesn't take a genius to see that WP is in line for the chopping block.
    nmco9 likes this.
    11-08-2015 02:34 PM
    LOL... My wife often gets that glassy eyed look when I talk about phones.

I know exactly what you mean.

Hopefully you get your fix soon.
    I'm going to second this seconding. My wife is so sick of hearing me talk about getting new phones that (if/when I start) she'll look right at me as she puts her headphones on.
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-08-2015 02:36 PM
    Maybe the 950's will be vaporware and the whole platform will be abandoned and they will release a Surface phone running AOSP and all Google services stripped out with and Arrow as the home launcher.
    krayziehustler likes this.
    11-08-2015 04:04 PM
    Nadella clearly said they'd evaluate what works and what doesn't and cut on things that aren't working. He didn't mention WP specifically but honestly, with marketshare decreasing, sales massively decreasing and the division constantly turning in losses, it doesn't take a genius to see that WP is in line for the chopping block.
    WP is already dead. They call it Windows 10 Mobile now. And like Dan R. has said for some time, Universal Apps (which they have been pushing and touting for a while now) makes zero sense without them having phones. Phones with Windows are here to stay.
    11-08-2015 04:13 PM
    Think ive come to the end of the rope, had enough of Apple, Google, Microsoft. Time to get a real secure phone https://silentcircle.com/
    11-08-2015 04:13 PM
    Yes, and that was what led to Nokia being let go. They will continue making their own hardware. They have a 2 year plan to try and kickstart market share. Now their market share in europe and other places is constantly growing, so they wouldn't axe it. With their current plan there's no reason why it shouldn't keep growing in europe and likely start growing here.

The recent low sales were expected as they have nothing really new to offer or sell. Recent results show that Windows market share actually hasn't budged in North America. Which could be because people are holding off for the new hardware or windows 10.
    libra89 and MikeSo like this.
    11-08-2015 04:44 PM
    Except MS never said they would abandon it and Blackberry did. And i know how those keyboards get beat up and need replacements constantly. I had to have one for work at one point. Back then it was the Bold but it was constantly being replaced.

MS already has new phones in the pipeline with the 820 chipset for Q3. So definitely they are not abandoning it.
    Well to each their own then. Nothing against you of course. The 950XL has lost my interest for this year and I'll stick with Android another year with hopes that the Win 10 mobile ecosystem vastly improves next year.

Even if this is the last phone that is made by BlackBerry it will still be supported. WP has a lot more issues to iron out than just having a phone for the ecosystem.

Even if this phone comes out it doesn't settle in my mind that this phone is truly polished and ready for the market. I'll wait for the next round of phones. I feel the 950xl will be another 900. May turn out a hit like the 920. Either way I'm going with what works for me now. And right now the Priv really is a solid phone to be content with.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    11-08-2015 05:10 PM
    Exactly.

11-08-2015 05:11 PM
    Guys, guys chill out. The OS isn't ready yet. Imagine if they shipped the phone with a half-baked version of windows 10?
    libra89 likes this.
    11-08-2015 05:20 PM
    RTM for phones should be pretty soon, yes I know we're all tired of hearing it's will be here "soon" but what else can we do other than wait?

As that static grid of icons is sooo 1992.

In regards to heat throttling on the 810 chip (20nm, well I don't think the 820 chip (14nm) will be any better unless they increase the die size. As the die shrinks the collective point of heat out put is going to get really concentrated. The 820 chip may be the inflection point where we see more and more liquid cooled phones as phones just don't have enough space for air to circulate. Not to mention they will be ridiculously uncomfortable to hold without any form of active cooling, anybody want a handled sauna?
    11-08-2015 05:40 PM
    Think ive come to the end of the rope, had enough of Apple, Google, Microsoft. Time to get a real secure phone https://silentcircle.com/
    Not for $800 though
    libra89 likes this.
    11-08-2015 05:41 PM
    Guys, guys chill out. The OS isn't ready yet. Imagine if they shipped the phone with a half-baked version of windows 10?

Pretty much what they did with the desktop version.....
    JohnStrk likes this.
    11-08-2015 05:48 PM
    Not for $800 though
    Also, doesn't it use Google? So how do you have "enough of Google" if it uses Google?
    11-08-2015 06:17 PM
    Google only mines the data you allow it to mine. Exactly like Microsoft. If you think a Windows phone will mine less data than an Android, you're dead wrong. At any rate, there's a considerable difference between a Nexus and a BlackBerry with Android. BlackBerry changed the OS to make it "more secure" which means your privacy will be bigger there than on any other Android phone (hence the name "Priv"). IF you want to use apps like Gmail, Google Search etc, then of course Google will get data from you. Just like Microsoft gets when you use Outlook or Bing. But you're not forced to use those services.
    From everything I've been reading the for the past 6 months, I do not believe this to be true.

I can write my friend an email in gmail about wanting to start going bowling. 3 or 4 emails later, I will begin seeing targeted ads for bowling lessons. I have never seen ms do this.

I believe MS mines to an extent, mostly bing, but they aren't actively crawling your emails and texts (hangouts) to spy on you.
    libra89 and RumoredNow like this.
    11-08-2015 07:08 PM
    you can prevent that by changing some settings which are by default enabled. Google does give u option to uncheck this. just try to bing it ;)
    11-08-2015 08:39 PM
    WP is already dead. They call it Windows 10 Mobile now. And like Dan R. has said for some time, Universal Apps (which they have been pushing and touting for a while now) makes zero sense without them having phones. Phones with Windows are here to stay.
    They could call it Fluffy-Pink-Unicorns-OS and it would still make no difference. Call it Windows Phone, call it Windows 10 Mobile, the result is the same. You can rename it, it won't change. A rose by any other name and all of that.

As for what Daniel said, I disagree with him. Universal apps can still make sense across PCs, tablets and even the Xbox. The mobile doesn't factor that much into it because most mobile-developed apps are NOT developed with anything but a mobile experience in mind. Snapchat or Instagram (yes, I know they announced a UA for it but let it be a reality first and see what limitations it'll have on PCs first before we call it a true UA) or Tinder or alike are not developed with anything but mobile in mind. Developers will therefore still have no interest in the concept as their target audience would not be PC users but mobile users.
    Well, not to mention we've yet to see any boom of UAs at all. Even developers on Windows Phone aren't massively adopting the Universal app system and Windows 10 has been out for months. I don't see any urge from Windows developers, let alone from Android or iOS developers. Not to mention that the Windows Store itself is far from being something most Windows PC users even use.

Yes, and that was what led to Nokia being let go. They will continue making their own hardware. They have a 2 year plan to try and kickstart market share. Now their market share in europe and other places is constantly growing, so they wouldn't axe it. With their current plan there's no reason why it shouldn't keep growing in europe and likely start growing here.

The recent low sales were expected as they have nothing really new to offer or sell. Recent results show that Windows market share actually hasn't budged in North America. Which could be because people are holding off for the new hardware or windows 10.
    Don't mix Nokia with this. Nokia has nothing to do with Microsoft since the 25th April 2014. They're shutting down Microsoft Mobile, that's not Nokia ;)

Now that I've said that, where did you see the "2 year plan"? I'm assuming that's speculation because Microsoft never addressed that at all. And market share in Europe isn't constantly increasing. It's pretty stagnant actually. They grow in this country this trimester but go down in another at the same time. And Microsoft doesn't care about a specific market (and when they do, it's the US market, not Europe). The fact is, at 2.5% marketshare and decreasing, Microsoft's investors won't want to keep "trying to kickstart" something that has flopped thrice.

And no, the low sales have nothing to do with "have nothing really new to offer or sell". Windows Phone sales were NEVER based on flagship devices. It's budget phones like the Nokia 520, 530, 630 etc that captured any WP marketshare. And budget offers Microsoft kept putting out in the 4xx line, 5xx and 6xx line. People simply didn't buy those phones. I'm convinced that's because people who bought those before did it for the trust in the Nokia brand. Others will disagree. Only market research could give us more concrete evidence but I think I'm right, otherwise you wouldn't have seen such a massive decline in both marketshare and sales from the moment Nokia left until today. I don't believe at all anyone if "holding off for the new hardware" and even less for Windows 10. Most people don't care about any of that. Certainly not the people who buy budget phones.

I can write my friend an email in gmail about wanting to start going bowling. 3 or 4 emails later, I will begin seeing targeted ads for bowling lessons. I have never seen ms do this.

I believe MS mines to an extent, mostly bing, but they aren't actively crawling your emails and texts (hangouts) to spy on you
    Gmail scans your emails for trigger words to aim ads at you. That's true. And Google is pretty open about that. And you can disable all of that on Google Settings under "Ads Settings". You can turn everything off and ads will no longer be served to you based on any information Google has about you.

Microsoft also scans your emails. For example, if you write an email and mention the word "attach" or similar, before sending it, it will ask you if you attached anything to the email or if you didn't forget it. Oh and if you think Microsoft doesn't know what you do in their services, the OneDrive debacle showed it. If they knew exactly what people were uploading to OneDrive, that means they were snooping around your private cloud account. All companies will harvest your data. Some of them - like Google - are just more honest about it because it's their business to do it. Google sells ads. That's their business. If you don't want to have ads served or alike, you simply opt out of just outright don't use Google products ;)
    aitt and nmco9 like this.
    11-08-2015 08:57 PM
    And here I thought this thread was about Verizon picking up the Priv over a Lumia - or any new WP for that matter...
    JohnStrk and Br1t like this.
    11-08-2015 09:15 PM
    you can prevent that by changing some settings which are by default enabled. Google does give u option to uncheck this. just try to bing it ;)
    I'm on android now temporarily, used exclusively for 4 years... Your right you can uncheck a box, doesn't mean s&8t.

Just today I tried to use Google maps for nav and it would not let me proceed unless I turned location history and search history on. Do I want to go back and uncheck every time after???

I don't need Google logging my damn movements the moment I forget to uncheck their "optional box"

You can Google it.

As far as onedrive, drop box, Google drive or any other cloud service... Simple, I don't use them. I keep everything encrypted on local storage.

Last I checked, Windows store didn't have a flashlight app that needed access to my txt, email, contacts, Mic, camera, gallery, or GPS location.

By nature android is an open backdoor for any script kiddy with half a brain.

And don't give me the bs about "well with the new awesome marshmallow you can selective turn off access for apps" big LOL.

It amazes me that android boys have the audacity to call ios fans sheep.

jayk82 likes this.
    11-08-2015 10:27 PM
    I'm on android now temporarily, used exclusively for 4 years... Your right you can uncheck a box, doesn't mean s&8t.

Just today I tried to use Google maps for nav and it would not let me proceed unless I turned location history and search history on. Do I want to go back and uncheck every time after???

I don't need Google logging my damn movements the moment I forget to uncheck their "optional box"

You can Google it.

As far as onedrive, drop box, Google drive or any other cloud service... Simple, I don't use them. I keep everything encrypted on local storage.

Last I checked, Windows store didn't have a flashlight app that needed access to my txt, email, contacts, Mic, camera, gallery, or GPS location.

By nature android is an open backdoor for any script kiddy with half a brain.

And don't give me the bs about "well with the new awesome marshmallow you can selective turn off access for apps" big LOL.

It amazes me that android boys have the audacity to call ios fans sheep.

Marshmallows allows permissions to be denied in apps now. Soooo...

N_LaRUE, nmco9 and DJCBS like this.
    11-08-2015 11:34 PM
    Also, doesn't it use Google? So how do you have "enough of Google" if it uses Google?
    It uses Android which has been completely taken apart and made 100% secure, no apps tracking you, no data leaks, end to end encryption. The reason I dislike Google is the invasion of privacy and data theft left right and centre. If there is a windows equivalent im all ears!

How much is an iPhone 6s (something that "dear liza" would be proud of) off contract? the 950 is not that much cheaper either.

Originally Posted by poopyfinger
    My problem with Priv is the blackberry CEO says they are getting out of devices. Maybe depending on how well this does they may continue. But that doesn't speak well for future support.

This is the reason im not jumping in with the Priv. Hope BB starts gaining back its reputation as a secure, solid solution for SMB/Enterprise - really want something secure and feel Microsoft is at least 12 months away from a solid solution. Guess the waiting game has to continue for a little while longer.
    Last edited by Great deal; 11-09-2015 at 01:57 AM.
    libra89 and Marcin Dabrowsky like this.
    11-09-2015 01:16 AM
    Waiting is fine if you don't want something half-baked... except Microsoft will be both late and still half-baked.
    Great deal, nmco9 and aitt like this.
    11-09-2015 02:19 AM

Not necessarily. With all the bridge technologies MS has now anything is possible. The main point being that a Google Play infused app will come out with everything Google replaced with MS. I can totally see Windows Apps going through a bridge and coming out an Android AOSP app for mobile.
    11-09-2015 07:11 AM
    Why is it the Priv or the 950XL?? Te Priv is just an Android phone.. you have many choices if you want an Android... I am using a LG V10 until the 950XL comes out... We all have been waiting so long and what is another month?
    MikeSo likes this.
    11-09-2015 10:39 AM
    After reading the Priv reviews, there's no way I'm getting one at least. $700 seems overpriced, to put it mildly. Unless you absolutely want a physical keyboard (and in that case, why would you want a 950XL anyway), I don't see why you'd get this phone.

I thought the 950XL felt overpriced at $649 too though, with an unproven OS. But the total package seems better (save, again, for app availability).
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    11-09-2015 10:43 AM
82 1234