11-12-2015 07:18 AM
82 1234
tools
    Waiting is fine if you don't want something half-baked... except Microsoft will be both late and still half-baked.
    All phones are "half-baked" on release these days. That's just a fact of life.
    11-09-2015 11:59 AM
    All phones are "half-baked" on release these days. That's just a fact of life.
    Most android phones aren't really. At least as far as the OS is concerned.
    mousz likes this.
    11-09-2015 12:15 PM
    After reading the Priv reviews, there's no way I'm getting one at least. $700 seems overpriced, to put it mildly. Unless you absolutely want a physical keyboard (and in that case, why would you want a 950XL anyway), I don't see why you'd get this phone.

I thought the 950XL felt overpriced at $649 too though, with an unproven OS. But the total package seems better (save, again, for app availability).
    There really is so much more going on than just the keyboard. The build alone is definitely top notch. Frankly this is one time I'm glad to not care for review

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android
    11-09-2015 01:23 PM

Don't mix Nokia with this. Nokia has nothing to do with Microsoft since the 25th April 2014. They're shutting down Microsoft Mobile, that's not Nokia ;)

Now that I've said that, where did you see the "2 year plan"? I'm assuming that's speculation because Microsoft never addressed that at all. And market share in Europe isn't constantly increasing. It's pretty stagnant actually. They grow in this country this trimester but go down in another at the same time. And Microsoft doesn't care about a specific market (and when they do, it's the US market, not Europe). The fact is, at 2.5% marketshare and decreasing, Microsoft's investors won't want to keep "trying to kickstart" something that has flopped thrice.

And no, the low sales have nothing to do with "have nothing really new to offer or sell". Windows Phone sales were NEVER based on flagship devices. It's budget phones like the Nokia 520, 530, 630 etc that captured any WP marketshare. And budget offers Microsoft kept putting out in the 4xx line, 5xx and 6xx line. People simply didn't buy those phones. I'm convinced that's because people who bought those before did it for the trust in the Nokia brand. Others will disagree. Only market research could give us more concrete evidence but I think I'm right, otherwise you wouldn't have seen such a massive decline in both marketshare and sales from the moment Nokia left until today. I don't believe at all anyone if "holding off for the new hardware" and even less for Windows 10. Most people don't care about any of that. Certainly not the people who buy budget phones.

Well depends on what rock you have been living under, hopefully a polycarbonate one. ;) Satya himself wrote about it in a giant post. 2 year plan with 6 phones per year. This was sort of interpreted as abandoning in 2 years in which Microsoft replied saying they will continue making phones but want OEMs to take over with the majority of phones. They will simply showcase the technology. And I have posted links in other threads that show market share frozen in North America and growing in Europe. Of course Europe matters, revenue is revenue. Most companies want to be globally popular. But yes North America matters because a lot of developers with popular apps are from within North America.

But things change. Take Snapchat. It is starting to do social type integration similar to facebook and a lot of snapchatters are really against that. It was enough to spark a news article in a popular news service in Canada. So something like that could bring a popular app down as they look for alternatives. But snap chat is definitely heading to Windows as it was mentioned by them on Twitter, but I believe they are only going to do it for Windows 10. So hey by the time it comes it may be abandoned and the next best thing will show up.

For Microsoft it could go either way. They would prefer to gain a higher mobile percentage, but their business model allows for them to not worry so much if it doesn't happen. But they are definitely investing quite a lot of money into it. People don't realize how much work is going into their developer tools in order to be able to get apps onto any platform. The future is not about the device you have which is true. People are more likely to buy devices that have their apps, but if developers had tools to develop for most big platforms this could at least remove the monopoly Apple and Google have on the market. It would allow for more choices for users without worrying about apps. Heck, Ms could even include Tizen into its developer tools or anything else that comes along. It's already tough to develop for 2 platforms and let alone 3. Then there's companies trying to spark newer ones. It's chaotic to develop for so many platforms so Microsoft is targeting the developers and trying to make their lives easier. Imagine building apps for any platform using only 1 language. And that's really what these tools are trying to accomplish. You can use C# and write apps for IOS. No need to learn a new language.

You honestly can't believe that Microsoft's solution to the app gap is Windows 10 Universal model? No it's the developer tools. The Windows 10 universal model is what is going to be used to draw more people to MS products and give something unique over the others. We can't really predict what happens but in the next few years there will be changes no doubt.
    11-09-2015 01:39 PM
    Time will tell. We are heading into an area where potentially devices will be able to run any app from any platform. App gap will no longer exist, then it will come down to OS and hardware preference. Advantage MS has is 95% usage in the business world. They are playing the long game here, the devices like the 950 are not part of that picture, even the Surface Phone will be a first generation, will be Generation 3 before the true potential is unlocked. Hope im still alive then!
    anon(5061193) likes this.
    11-09-2015 01:59 PM
    Will I return it for the 950XL? That will be determined in my 14 day trial of this phone, but nothing is making me want to. And that's not a bad thing.

I'm putting money on your a lucky guy, 14 days from now I seriously believe the 950/950XL will be released on Friday Nov. 20th.. Win 10 RTM seems set, Nov 12th release of final Win 10 to carriers and Phone release the 20th.... Bet my house on it? No, but from what I've been reading it seems right.
    Feeling more confident about my call on the 20th..lol..
    Sources say AT&T is set to release the Lumia 950 on Friday, November 20 | Windows Central
    libra89 likes this.
    11-09-2015 04:46 PM
    I just wish I could throw Windows 10 on the Priv!
    11-09-2015 06:14 PM
    There really is so much more going on than just the keyboard. The build alone is definitely top notch. Frankly this is one time I'm glad to not care for review

This seems to be a mixed bag. I come across just as many reviews that state the Priv is "gorgeous" as I do that state the device "feels cheap."
    11-09-2015 06:41 PM
    This seems to be a mixed bag. I come across just as many reviews that state the Priv is "gorgeous" as I do that state the device "feels cheap."
    Yeah it's a preference choice and by far no BlackBerry fan. I love phones and tech. I've had a lot of phones and this has impressed me a lot. Next to if not more than the Note 4 I had.

Y2HBK likes this.
    11-09-2015 07:04 PM
    Sorry but that's just crap, how many times did great phones get the "feels cheap" review?? Like every great phone must be made of metal or have a glass back, I was a Galaxy S user from the S2 thru 5 and if I had a dollar for every review that bashed it for it's plastic back I could get pretty liquored up, all were great phones, if it feels top notch and gorgeous to you then trust your feel..
    Viktar H, libra89 and aitt like this.
    11-09-2015 09:22 PM
    A few years ago polycarbonate was premium, then metal, now glass. I personally prefer the polycarbonate removable back with a swappable battery. But I do love my metal passport. To each his own. Forget the so called professional reviewers.

11-09-2015 11:05 PM
    I just wish I could throw Windows 10 on the Priv!
    You might be able to soon. Microsoft has been experimenting with a Windows 10 rom that you can flash on any android device. Pretty interesting stuff.

A few years ago polycarbonate was premium, then metal, now glass. I personally prefer the polycarbonate removable back with a swappable battery. But I do love my metal passport. To each his own. Forget the so called professional reviewers.

I don't see why they can't make both? Surely these companies can make a gorgeous metal phone with a removable back cover and battery. I'm sure it will only be a matter of time (Surface phone?).
    Great deal likes this.
    11-09-2015 11:15 PM
    I'm on android now temporarily, used exclusively for 4 years... Your right you can uncheck a box, doesn't mean s&8t.

Just today I tried to use Google maps for nav and it would not let me proceed unless I turned location history and search history on. Do I want to go back and uncheck every time after???

I don't need Google logging my damn movements the moment I forget to uncheck their "optional box"

You can Google it.

As far as onedrive, drop box, Google drive or any other cloud service... Simple, I don't use them. I keep everything encrypted on local storage.

Last I checked, Windows store didn't have a flashlight app that needed access to my txt, email, contacts, Mic, camera, gallery, or GPS location.

By nature android is an open backdoor for any script kiddy with half a brain.

And don't give me the bs about "well with the new awesome marshmallow you can selective turn off access for apps" big LOL.

It amazes me that android boys have the audacity to call ios fans sheep.

Do you even understand what you wrote? My post was simply about data mining from Google which you can switch off "PERMANENTLY", which means you dont get bowling lesson ads or condom ads anymore.

from discussion google crawling emails and texts you went onto android app permissions, they are unrelated. There is a reason I dont use android but m a gmail user and gmail and other google services on web a lot simply because I know how I can control my privacy.
    11-10-2015 04:30 AM

The irony is that fifteen years ago everyone was using a stylus with plastic screens that never shattered. Then the iPhone came along and everything shifted from active digitizers to capacitive glass screens. Now what does everyone want? A stylus. Sheesh!
    Laura Knotek and libra89 like this.
    11-10-2015 03:21 PM
    The irony is that fifteen years ago everyone was using a stylus with plastic screens that never shattered. Then the iPhone came along and everything shifted from active digitizers to capacitive glass screens. Now what does everyone want? A stylus. Sheesh!
    Everyone? I dunno. More like 5 or 6 people, lol.
    11-10-2015 03:27 PM
    Everyone? I dunno. More like 5 or 6 people, lol.
    Hehe. I think there's more than that that are waiting on the Surface phone with pen support. ;)
    RumoredNow likes this.
    11-10-2015 03:40 PM
    Hehe. I think there's more than that that are waiting on the Surface phone with pen support. ;)
    People who miss their palm pilots.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-10-2015 03:42 PM
    People who miss their palm pilots.
    Purchasers of the Galaxy Note series disagree with this.
    11-10-2015 03:55 PM
    Palm Pilots? I'm guessing you aren't referring to the soon to be blind. Meaning has probably changed over the years.
    xandros9 likes this.
    11-10-2015 04:24 PM
    I had a Nokia 925 and switched to BB because it was taking MS too long to produce another flagship phone. I looked at the Priv rejected it for the following reasons.

Reports of:

1. Overheating

2. Poor camera performance. Inferior to 950 XL camera . 2MP front camera for Priv. Bad low light performance. Camera noise during use.

3. Suspect build quality. A lot of folks on Crackberry has returned phones due to multiple problems.

4. Keyboard complaints (Too Small).

Expensive. Priv Price: $699.00 US L 950 Price: $549.00 US.

This information is from tech site reviews and from users on the Crackberry fourm.

I am leaning towards the 950. It is subjective...purchase what meet your needs.
    Last edited by Bay 13; 11-10-2015 at 10:56 PM.
    Marcin Dabrowsky likes this.
    11-10-2015 08:39 PM
    Sorry but that's just crap, how many times did great phones get the "feels cheap" review?? Like every great phone must be made of metal or have a glass back, I was a Galaxy S user from the S2 thru 5 and if I had a dollar for every review that bashed it for it's plastic back I could get pretty liquored up, all were great phones, if it feels top notch and gorgeous to you then trust your feel..
    Wow, calm down there, hoss. I apologize for bringing up what I had read online.
    11-11-2015 09:00 AM
    Lol, I've been doing the same thing. I've read almost every article about the 950 like 3 times, and I've watched all the videos like 5 times. I was a die hard Android user and this phone has me interested enough to switch. Sounds like it did the same with your 16 year old son. That should say something about this device.
    I've done the exact same thing!! Longtime iOS user (I've had every single iPhone to date and currently using the 6S Plus) but I can't wait to order this phone!!!
    Musicman247 likes this.
    11-11-2015 09:31 AM
    Guys enough of the argument .. All I need to know is when can I hold the Lumia 950XL in my damn hands .. Microsoft do not test my patience, Although its not like I have another choice, I am hell bent upon getting this one.
    11-11-2015 11:18 AM
    I had a Nokia 925 and switched to BB because it was taking MS too long to produce another flagship phone. I looked at the Priv rejected it for the following reasons.

Reports of:

1. Overheating

2. Poor camera performance. Inferior to 950 XL camera . 2MP front camera for Priv. Bad low light performance. Camera noise during use.

3. Suspect build quality. A lot of folks on Crackberry has returned phones due to multiple problems.

4. Keyboard complaints (Too Small).

Expensive. Priv Price: $699.00 US L 950 Price: $549.00 US.

This information is from tech site reviews and from users on the Crackberry fourm.

I am leaning towards the 950. It is subjective...purchase what meet your needs.
    So basically you only buy phones other people say are are good? Sounds like you should get an iPhone if you can't form you're own opinions. If you had actually taken the phone on 14 day trial I could say fair enough, thanks for your input.

PS Forums are poison, I would take them with a pinch of salt. For however much people complain and whine here, those guys are down right mean.
    11-11-2015 04:28 PM
    I've done the exact same thing!! Longtime iOS user (I've had every single iPhone to date and currently using the 6S Plus) but I can't wait to order this phone!!!
    Sold my iPhone 6s Plus and the money is waiting for Microsoft to release this thing. I've been using Android and ios since day one and the 950 XL has me giddy!

(Using a Nexus 5x now)
    11-11-2015 04:34 PM
82 1234