They got their Priv, where is our Lumia?

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
I pre-ordered the Priv, Twice, and twice cancelled my order simply because although I love Backberry hardware, I just cannot deal with Google and their data mining invasion of privacy tactics.

I sold my Blackberry Passport Silver Edition in advance of getting y gorgeous 950 XL and I continue waiting... waiting... waiting on some sort of word from MS. I am currently using an htc m8 android, which was given to me for free and I literally can't deal with the android interface anymore. I've used android since 2011, up until last year when I bought my 1520.3. Loved the phone, hated the screen issues.

I then moved to blackberry's BB10 and absolutely loved the productivity and layout, and the gorgeous hardware, but obviously, those involved with following the OS closely like myself know that BB10 is dead, only to be maintained until EOL'd.

I really really want to get this 950XL already. I realize that my moaning won't do a thing, but I can't moan to my wife anymore since she's tired of hearing about it!

Thanks for caring or not caring.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
LOL... My wife often gets that glassy eyed look when I talk about phones.

I know exactly what you mean.

Hopefully you get your fix soon.

Ultimate Insider

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I pre-ordered the Priv, Twice, and twice cancelled my order simply because although I love Backberry hardware, I just cannot deal with Google and their data mining invasion of privacy tactics.

I sold my Blackberry Passport Silver Edition in advance of getting y gorgeous 950 XL and I continue waiting... waiting... waiting on some sort of word from MS. I am currently using an htc m8 android, which was given to me for free and I literally can't deal with the android interface anymore. I've used android since 2011, up until last year when I bought my 1520.3. Loved the phone, hated the screen issues.

I then moved to blackberry's BB10 and absolutely loved the productivity and layout, and the gorgeous hardware, but obviously, those involved with following the OS closely like myself know that BB10 is dead, only to be maintained until EOL'd.

I really really want to get this 950XL already. I realize that my moaning won't do a thing, but I can't moan to my wife anymore since she's tired of hearing about it!

Lumia 950 XL is ready to ship in terms of hardware. Yet, there is also software side. Windows 10 Mobile Build 10586, which is supposed to be RTM version, will be distributed 12 Nov. So you can either wait for 950 xl to the begining of Dec. Or you can buy Priv. But don't forget, priv is having a snapdragon 808, while L950 XL is having a S810 chipset.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
The Priv is the exact kinda hardware I hoped an expected back when I got WP7 on release day, I thought the Dell Venue Pro would be the precursor. Shame it took blackberry this long to get around to it, all be it with Android. For me Blackberry would have been a better hardware choice over Nokia, particularly now with hindsight.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
I stopped waiting and got the Priv. Can't say I'm disappointed in one bit.

The 808 SD is not even an issue and runs smooth.

Will I return it for the 950XL? That will be determined in my 14 day trial of this phone, but nothing is making me want to. And that's not a bad thing.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site

Will I return it for the 950XL? That will be determined in my 14 day trial of this phone, but nothing is making me want to. And that's not a bad thing.

What if the 950/XL isn't released in your 14 day trial? Or were you just planning on using the Priv for two weeks to see if you liked it and then if you didn't, return it and wait for the lumia's?

I'm just curious because I'm having the same debate between the two. I'm heavily leaning towards the 950, but the Priv does look interesting and I kinda want it just because I can get it now, lol.

How do you like the Priv?

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site

I feel your pain, man. Nobody in my household gives a crap about my fascination with this phone. I feel a palpable anxiousness to get it and every day with no info it gets worse, lol. Even worse, the more I wait the more time I spend... well, waiting. Starting to procrastinate just to read the same threads and check the same sites over and over again. You know what they say about a watched pot never boiling... I'm having a staring contest with that pot right now.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm with you guys on this one, but I believe MSFT were stuck between a rock and a hard place. People crying out for a new device, only to show off this said device, create interest only to find the software isn't ready for RTM. Seems a bit backwards, but then again, all the boards would be moaning what ever happened!

Or.....was the early unveiling just to gauge interest in preorders etc, rather than end up with a shedload of devices that no one wanted?? After all we've waited two years for a 'Flagship', so another few weeks won't matter. Or will it?

Is this another case of MSFT being most excellent at developing, but completely cocking it up when it comes to selling stuff?? My 16 yr old boy wants a 950, which is good for windows mobile, fresh blood in the ecosystem etc, but how long will a 16 yr old wait until the fashionistas at crapple and droid flash yet another rehash of last months fashion item?????

I feel your pain. Me?? I'll hang on until I can 'get one in hand' before deciding whether to ditch my small collection of Lumia's.

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
The Priv is the exact kinda hardware I hoped an expected back when I got WP7 on release day, I thought the Dell Venue Pro would be the precursor. Shame it took blackberry this long to get around to it, all be it with Android. For me Blackberry would have been a better hardware choice over Nokia, particularly now with hindsight.

Can you imagine the devices if Nokia read BB!! Not to mention the fact that BB had a fantastic reputation amongst business users. The devices, with BB designs', would probably have been to die for....oh how we love hindsight.... Now my mind is wandering...

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I feel your pain, man. Nobody in my household gives a crap about my fascination with this phone. I feel a palpable anxiousness to get it and every day with no info it gets worse, lol. Even worse, the more I wait the more time I spend... well, waiting. Starting to procrastinate just to read the same threads and check the same sites over and over again. You know what they say about a watched pot never boiling... I'm having a staring contest with that pot right now.

Lol, I've been doing the same thing. I've read almost every article about the 950 like 3 times, and I've watched all the videos like 5 times. I was a die hard Android user and this phone has me interested enough to switch. Sounds like it did the same with your 16 year old son. That should say something about this device.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site

I'm putting money on your a lucky guy, 14 days from now I seriously believe the 950/950XL will be released on Friday Nov. 20th.. Win 10 RTM seems set, Nov 12th release of final Win 10 to carriers and Phone release the 20th.... Bet my house on it? No, but from what I've been reading it seems right.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Makes sense. If hardware releases on Fridays, there's only a few left in the month. I could see them releasing on the 13th, as the OS will be ready the day before. Superstition may keep them away, though.

The 27th is Black Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. I doubt they would launch on a day they know many people will be out of town visiting family. It's also terrible because most stores will be closed early because of the holiday.

So, 20th it is.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
priv is having a snapdragon 808, while L950 XL is having a S810 chipset.

I'm not defending the Priv here, because I don't even like that phone. But I would personally take the SD 808 over 810 v 2. Regardless of the 950 XL having a heatsink.

hO9ujAH.png

*Edit

There is also an SD810 v2.1 that is significantly faster and runs cooler than the 810 v2, I wish Microsoft would have used that one for the 950 XL.

Comparing Snapdragon 810 v2 and v2.1: More Memory Bandwidth, Higher Clocks

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
What if the 950/XL isn't released in your 14 day trial? Or were you just planning on using the Priv for two weeks to see if you liked it and then if you didn't, return it and wait for the lumia's?

I'm just curious because I'm having the same debate between the two. I'm heavily leaning towards the 950, but the Priv does look interesting and I kinda want it just because I can get it now, lol.

How do you like the Priv?

Yeah it's a hard decision cause the more I use the Priv the less I'm worried about the 950xl. It's a solid well built phone. I know the 950XL won't be avail in the next 14. I've come to accept this. I'm already heavily invested in Android with MS apps so it's not like I'm losing anything.

I've already ported one of my numbers I use for business to Google Voice so I can stop worrying about needing a dual Sim.

So I don't know right now. The call quality is remarkable and this keyboard is definitely innovative.

ferretzombie

Nov 7, 2015
Visit site
There is also an SD810 v2.1 that is significantly faster and runs cooler than the 810 v2, I wish Microsoft would have used that one for the 950 XL.
Has Microsoft actually specified what version the 810 they are using? I've only seen them list just the general 810. I would think they use the v2.1 since it is newest and it has been available in other phones for months.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Has Microsoft actually specified what version the 810 they are using? I've only seen them list just the general 810. I would think they use the v2.1 since it is newest and it has been available in other phones for months.

I've only seen v2 mentioned, but hopefully that's not the case. Anandtech said that even v2.1 gets hot and throttles though.

and unlike the Snapdragon 808 and competing SoCs - both variants of the Snapdragon 810 still see the unfortunate characteristic of ultimately forcing all threads off of the A57 cluster to stay within TDP limits in high load conditions

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site

I certainly hope they went with that version. Keep in mind Windows (at least 8.1) is way less testing on the processor than both android phones tested in above graph.

Visa Declined

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I certainly hope they went with that version. Keep in mind Windows (at least 8.1) is way less testing on the processor than both android phones tested in above graph.

I can manage to get the SD800 cooking in my 1520's without much effort. It's not like Windows Mobile isn't capable of saturating multiple cpu cores by performing certain tasks.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Makes sense. If hardware releases on Fridays, there's only a few left in the month.
Just don't be disappointed when you find there are no limits on the number of days (or Fridays) in November. To avoid slapping late fees on their favorite contractors, the US military has paid for late deliveries on February 42nd (I don't recall the exact dates, but you get the idea).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb