They got their Priv, where is our Lumia?

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
I don't remember a time that MS has pushed something back past the window they gave. In the past they've said Fall, or Spring, but this time they've given themselves an actual month. I doubt they'll push it back into December.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I stopped waiting and got the Priv. Can't say I'm disappointed in one bit.

The 808 SD is not even an issue and runs smooth.

Will I return it for the 950XL? That will be determined in my 14 day trial of this phone, but nothing is making me want to. And that's not a bad thing.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

My problem with Priv is the blackberry CEO says they are getting out of devices. Maybe depending on how well this does they may continue. But that doesn't speak well for future support.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Has Microsoft actually specified what version the 810 they are using? I've only seen them list just the general 810. I would think they use the v2.1 since it is newest and it has been available in other phones for months.

qualcomm has said ALL new chips are v2.1. So any new chips using 810 are v2.1 as Qualcomm no longer produces the other ones.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
My problem with Priv is the blackberry CEO says they are getting out of devices. Maybe depending on how well this does they may continue. But that doesn't speak well for future support.

The same could be said the same for Window Phones when Surface are pushing forward and MS has been spending a lot of time fine tuning mobile apps on other platforms. So...

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
The same could be said the same for Window Phones when Surface are pushing forward and MS has been spending a lot of time fine tuning mobile apps on other platforms. So...

Except MS never said they would abandon it and Blackberry did. And i know how those keyboards get beat up and need replacements constantly. I had to have one for work at one point. Back then it was the Bold but it was constantly being replaced.

MS already has new phones in the pipeline with the 820 chipset for Q3. So definitely they are not abandoning it.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
although I love Backberry hardware, I just cannot deal with Google and their data mining invasion of privacy tactics.

Google only mines the data you allow it to mine. Exactly like Microsoft. If you think a Windows phone will mine less data than an Android, you're dead wrong. At any rate, there's a considerable difference between a Nexus and a BlackBerry with Android. BlackBerry changed the OS to make it "more secure" which means your privacy will be bigger there than on any other Android phone (hence the name "Priv"). IF you want to use apps like Gmail, Google Search etc, then of course Google will get data from you. Just like Microsoft gets when you use Outlook or Bing. But you're not forced to use those services.

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Except MS never said they would abandon it and Blackberry did.

Nadella clearly said they'd evaluate what works and what doesn't and cut on things that aren't working. He didn't mention WP specifically but honestly, with marketshare decreasing, sales massively decreasing and the division constantly turning in losses, it doesn't take a genius to see that WP is in line for the chopping block.

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
LOL... My wife often gets that glassy eyed look when I talk about phones.

I know exactly what you mean.

Hopefully you get your fix soon.

I'm going to second this seconding. My wife is so sick of hearing me talk about getting new phones that (if/when I start) she'll look right at me as she puts her headphones on.

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the 950's will be vaporware and the whole platform will be abandoned and they will release a Surface phone running AOSP and all Google services stripped out with and Arrow as the home launcher.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Nadella clearly said they'd evaluate what works and what doesn't and cut on things that aren't working. He didn't mention WP specifically but honestly, with marketshare decreasing, sales massively decreasing and the division constantly turning in losses, it doesn't take a genius to see that WP is in line for the chopping block.

WP is already dead. They call it Windows 10 Mobile now. And like Dan R. has said for some time, Universal Apps (which they have been pushing and touting for a while now) makes zero sense without them having phones. Phones with Windows are here to stay.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site

Yes, and that was what led to Nokia being let go. They will continue making their own hardware. They have a 2 year plan to try and kickstart market share. Now their market share in europe and other places is constantly growing, so they wouldn't axe it. With their current plan there's no reason why it shouldn't keep growing in europe and likely start growing here.

The recent low sales were expected as they have nothing really new to offer or sell. Recent results show that Windows market share actually hasn't budged in North America. Which could be because people are holding off for the new hardware or windows 10.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Except MS never said they would abandon it and Blackberry did. And i know how those keyboards get beat up and need replacements constantly. I had to have one for work at one point. Back then it was the Bold but it was constantly being replaced.

MS already has new phones in the pipeline with the 820 chipset for Q3. So definitely they are not abandoning it.

Well to each their own then. Nothing against you of course. The 950XL has lost my interest for this year and I'll stick with Android another year with hopes that the Win 10 mobile ecosystem vastly improves next year.

Even if this is the last phone that is made by BlackBerry it will still be supported. WP has a lot more issues to iron out than just having a phone for the ecosystem.

Even if this phone comes out it doesn't settle in my mind that this phone is truly polished and ready for the market. I'll wait for the next round of phones. I feel the 950xl will be another 900. May turn out a hit like the 920. Either way I'm going with what works for me now. And right now the Priv really is a solid phone to be content with.

aitt

Jan 23, 2013
Visit site

Exactly.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
RTM for phones should be pretty soon, yes I know we're all tired of hearing it's will be here "soon" but what else can we do other than wait?

As that static grid of icons is sooo 1992.

In regards to heat throttling on the 810 chip (20nm, well I don't think the 820 chip (14nm) will be any better unless they increase the die size. As the die shrinks the collective point of heat out put is going to get really concentrated. The 820 chip may be the inflection point where we see more and more liquid cooled phones as phones just don't have enough space for air to circulate. Not to mention they will be ridiculously uncomfortable to hold without any form of active cooling, anybody want a handled sauna? :winktongue:

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
Google only mines the data you allow it to mine. Exactly like Microsoft. If you think a Windows phone will mine less data than an Android, you're dead wrong. At any rate, there's a considerable difference between a Nexus and a BlackBerry with Android. BlackBerry changed the OS to make it "more secure" which means your privacy will be bigger there than on any other Android phone (hence the name "Priv"). IF you want to use apps like Gmail, Google Search etc, then of course Google will get data from you. Just like Microsoft gets when you use Outlook or Bing. But you're not forced to use those services.

From everything I've been reading the for the past 6 months, I do not believe this to be true.

I can write my friend an email in gmail about wanting to start going bowling. 3 or 4 emails later, I will begin seeing targeted ads for bowling lessons. I have never seen ms do this.

I believe MS mines to an extent, mostly bing, but they aren't actively crawling your emails and texts (hangouts) to spy on you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro