They got their Priv, where is our Lumia?

Marcin Dabrowsky

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
A few years ago polycarbonate was premium, then metal, now glass. I personally prefer the polycarbonate removable back with a swappable battery. But I do love my metal passport. To each his own. Forget the so called professional reviewers.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
I just wish I could throw Windows 10 on the Priv!

You might be able to soon. Microsoft has been experimenting with a Windows 10 rom that you can flash on any android device. Pretty interesting stuff.

A few years ago polycarbonate was premium, then metal, now glass. I personally prefer the polycarbonate removable back with a swappable battery. But I do love my metal passport. To each his own. Forget the so called professional reviewers.

I don't see why they can't make both? Surely these companies can make a gorgeous metal phone with a removable back cover and battery. I'm sure it will only be a matter of time (Surface phone?).

techiez

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm on android now temporarily, used exclusively for 4 years... Your right you can uncheck a box, doesn't mean s&8t.

Just today I tried to use Google maps for nav and it would not let me proceed unless I turned location history and search history on. Do I want to go back and uncheck every time after???

I don't need Google logging my damn movements the moment I forget to uncheck their "optional box"

You can Google it.

As far as onedrive, drop box, Google drive or any other cloud service... Simple, I don't use them. I keep everything encrypted on local storage.

Last I checked, Windows store didn't have a flashlight app that needed access to my txt, email, contacts, Mic, camera, gallery, or GPS location.

By nature android is an open backdoor for any script kiddy with half a brain.

And don't give me the bs about "well with the new awesome marshmallow you can selective turn off access for apps" big LOL.

It amazes me that android boys have the audacity to call ios fans sheep.

Do you even understand what you wrote? My post was simply about data mining from Google which you can switch off "PERMANENTLY", which means you dont get bowling lesson ads or condom ads anymore.

from discussion google crawling emails and texts you went onto android app permissions, they are unrelated. There is a reason I dont use android but m a gmail user and gmail and other google services on web a lot simply because I know how I can control my privacy.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com

The irony is that fifteen years ago everyone was using a stylus with plastic screens that never shattered. Then the iPhone came along and everything shifted from active digitizers to capacitive glass screens. Now what does everyone want? A stylus. Sheesh!

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
The irony is that fifteen years ago everyone was using a stylus with plastic screens that never shattered. Then the iPhone came along and everything shifted from active digitizers to capacitive glass screens. Now what does everyone want? A stylus. Sheesh!

Everyone? I dunno. More like 5 or 6 people, lol.

Bay 13

Nov 11, 2015
Visit site
I had a Nokia 925 and switched to BB because it was taking MS too long to produce another flagship phone. I looked at the Priv rejected it for the following reasons.

Reports of:

1. Overheating

2. Poor camera performance. Inferior to 950 XL camera . 2MP front camera for Priv. Bad low light performance. Camera noise during use.

3. Suspect build quality. A lot of folks on Crackberry has returned phones due to multiple problems.

4. Keyboard complaints (Too Small).

Expensive. Priv Price: $699.00 US L 950 Price: $549.00 US.

This information is from tech site reviews and from users on the Crackberry fourm.

I am leaning towards the 950. It is subjective...purchase what meet your needs.

Last edited:

Y2HBK

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Sorry but that's just crap, how many times did great phones get the "feels cheap" review?? Like every great phone must be made of metal or have a glass back, I was a Galaxy S user from the S2 thru 5 and if I had a dollar for every review that bashed it for it's plastic back I could get pretty liquored up, all were great phones, if it feels top notch and gorgeous to you then trust your feel..

Wow, calm down there, hoss. I apologize for bringing up what I had read online. :eck:

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Lol, I've been doing the same thing. I've read almost every article about the 950 like 3 times, and I've watched all the videos like 5 times. I was a die hard Android user and this phone has me interested enough to switch. Sounds like it did the same with your 16 year old son. That should say something about this device.

I've done the exact same thing!! Longtime iOS user (I've had every single iPhone to date and currently using the 6S Plus) but I can't wait to order this phone!!!

wahab bashir

Mar 15, 2014
Visit site
Guys enough of the argument .. All I need to know is when can I hold the Lumia 950XL in my damn hands .. Microsoft do not test my patience, Although its not like I have another choice, I am hell bent upon getting this one.

Br1t

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I had a Nokia 925 and switched to BB because it was taking MS too long to produce another flagship phone. I looked at the Priv rejected it for the following reasons.

Reports of:

1. Overheating

2. Poor camera performance. Inferior to 950 XL camera . 2MP front camera for Priv. Bad low light performance. Camera noise during use.

3. Suspect build quality. A lot of folks on Crackberry has returned phones due to multiple problems.

4. Keyboard complaints (Too Small).

Expensive. Priv Price: $699.00 US L 950 Price: $549.00 US.

This information is from tech site reviews and from users on the Crackberry fourm.

I am leaning towards the 950. It is subjective...purchase what meet your needs.

So basically you only buy phones other people say are are good? Sounds like you should get an iPhone if you can't form you're own opinions. If you had actually taken the phone on 14 day trial I could say fair enough, thanks for your input.

PS Forums are poison, I would take them with a pinch of salt. For however much people complain and whine here, those guys are down right mean.

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I've done the exact same thing!! Longtime iOS user (I've had every single iPhone to date and currently using the 6S Plus) but I can't wait to order this phone!!!

Sold my iPhone 6s Plus and the money is waiting for Microsoft to release this thing. I've been using Android and ios since day one and the 950 XL has me giddy!

(Using a Nexus 5x now)

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
Sold my iPhone 6s Plus and the money is waiting for Microsoft to release this thing. I've been using Android and ios since day one and the 950 XL has me giddy!

(Using a Nexus 5x now)

Have you used a Windows Phone before? I too am going to get the 950 XL, but the app selection is really my only reservation.

StevoPhilo

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Have you used a Windows Phone before? I too am going to get the 950 XL, but the app selection is really my only reservation.

The question you have to ask yourself is how often do you use the missing apps that WM10 doesn't provide and if you can get by with the browser version of said app.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I have not. My only app concern is Google photos. I use it exclusively now :( not sure what I'm going to use.
I know nothing about Google Photos except whatever hasn't changed from when Google bought Picasso from another company And even that I have probably forgot. But I am looking at alternatives to OneDrive for pictures. For what its worth: Lifehacker Faceoff: Google Photos vs. Flickr

I have used Flickr since before OneDrive was born but have never uploaded phone photos. To me the gotcha of either is they don't always store the first generation. According to that article Google Photos will sometimes compress pictures during upload while Flickr will convert some formats to jpg. I don't use any of those formats so don't know if Flickr warns you before doing that. Google has unlimited storage but only for pictures smaller than the 950 takes. For 950 size pictures it seems Flickr will let you store more for free.

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I know nothing about Google Photos except whatever hasn't changed from when Google bought Picasso from another company And even that I have probably forgot. But I am looking at alternatives to OneDrive for pictures. For what its worth: Lifehacker Faceoff: Google Photos vs. Flickr

I have used Flickr since before OneDrive was born but have never uploaded phone photos. To me the gotcha of either is they don't always store the first generation. According to that article Google Photos will sometimes compress pictures during upload while Flickr will convert some formats to jpg. I don't use any of those formats so don't know if Flickr warns you before doing that. Google has unlimited storage but only for pictures smaller than the 950 takes. For 950 size pictures it seems Flickr will let you store more for free.

I think my bigger problem is that I have over 10,000 photos stored on Google Photos that I access often my phone. I do not look forward to downloading those 10,000 then uploading them to a new service.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12