950 XL - first windows phone

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm going to be buying the 950 XL when it's released and it will be my first windows smart phone. Just have a few questions/comments:

1. Is anyone else buying this as their first venture into a windows phone? I could have went cheaper to try out windows but I am a geek and love having the latest and greatest. Smart phones are my only vice.

2. How's the transition to windows phone from Android/iOS? I've been using Android and iOS since the first days of smartphones.

3. Is there any benefit to buying the Dual Sim version or the US Variant from Microsoft if I'd never use more than 1 sim?

4. Is there any benefit to buying from Microsoft directly vs someone else? Is anyone throwing in any extras from ordering/pre-ordering from them?

Thanks everyone! :excited:

someone2639

Sep 25, 2014
Visit site
2. Windows Phone 8 always caught my eye because of the cool tile animations and the relative simplicity. 7 pages for all your apps? Gone. Only 2 pages, one of which has apps you choose. Lots of gestures? Gone. Etc.

3. They're the same phone, just one with 2 SIM slots.

4. If you mean buying from a carrier, then the MS version is different in that it is unlocked.

Babs75

Oct 11, 2015
Visit site
I, too, plan to purchase my first Windows phone. I've always been an Android user and I think it's time for a change. I like being able to change the layout of my home screen and I am constantly 'losing' apps in my Android screens so having them all on a list will be great. I'm not concerned about the lack of apps. I have checked the Windows store and find most of the ones I use on a regular basis are there so I think this will be OK. Hoping they continue to add more. I played with the 950XL demo model they used to have at my local Microsoft store and I really liked the camera - a good camera is another requirement I have. Now I'm just waiting for them to release the phone. My AT&T contract expires this month and I think I will just purchase this through Microsoft direct. Yes, I have to pay cash (no payment plan as I would have with AT&T) but I won't miss all the extra bloatware AT&T puts on my phone.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
3. Is there any benefit to buying the Dual Sim version or the US Variant from Microsoft if I'd never use more than 1 sim?
There are advantages to buy a variant that isn't carrier locked. The lock can be removed but in the past those phones have always received OS and firmware updates via the carrier. Said carriers are notorious for delaying or completely passing on updates once they are no longer selling them. Although Microsoft wants to update future phones directly there is no confirmation that is happening with carrier sold 950s. There is the Insider program that allows updates directly from Microsoft under the guise of beta testing BUT while likely, there is no guaranty that will continue.

In the past carriers have sold variations that were inferior. An example was the 1520s. AT&T versions did not have Qi charging and all but a very small run, had half the storage of all other 1520s. That does not appear to be happening with 950s although it can't be ruled out until we see what the carriers actually sell.

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I plan to buy this unlocked from Microsoft. I am for sure not buying it from a carrier. I was wondering if there's any benefit to ordering from another vendor like B&H, Amazon, etc.. Sometimes vendors have promos and include some extras. I'll probably stick to Microsoft.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I plan to buy this unlocked from Microsoft. I am for sure not buying it from a carrier. I was wondering if there's any benefit to ordering from another vendor like B&H, Amazon, etc.. Sometimes vendors have promos and include some extras. I'll probably stick to Microsoft.
Other vendors may have better prices. B&H for example is ~$70 cheaper than the MS store for anyone in the US not living in New York because of $20 lower selling price and no sales tax.

If the phone was manufactured FOR a different market than the one you live in, you probably won't have a factory warranty where you live. That is true for the B&H 950s sold to people in the US. Said vendors may offer an equivalent warranty of their own. B&H does that.

And like you say, there can be different incentives between retailers. B&H threw in a microSD card when I bought my 1520.3 from them.

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out if all the apps I use have a windows app store version. I went to the website for apps but I do not see a search. Only a search Microsoft.com. Any help?

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Last edited:

Lennart Petersson

Nov 9, 2015
Visit site
Same here, 950 XL Dual Sim will be my first Windows Phone. Walked my way from iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, Sony Xperia Z and at the moment the giant Nexus 6.

Also, I'm leaving 15 years of different Apple laptops and will soon have a Surface Pro 4 i7/17/512. Might even start running, so I need to have the Band 2 also :)

/L

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Same here, 950 XL Dual Sim will be my first Windows Phone. Walked my way from iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, Sony Xperia Z and at the moment the giant Nexus 6.

Also, I'm leaving 15 years of different Apple laptops and will soon have a Surface Pro 4 i7/17/512. Might even start running, so I need to have the Band 2 also :)

/L

You sound just like me. I have a MacBook now and really want a SP4. Currently trying to sell my MB to get it. Never thought I'd see a day when I ditch my MB and iPhone for a SP and WP. :D

Lyndon Sanche

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out if all the apps I use have a windows app store version. I went to the website for apps but I do not see a search. Only a search Microsoft.com. Any help?

What I do is do a Google search of "(app name) Windows phone" and usually it'll come up with the store page for the app if there is one.

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
What I do is do a Google search of "(app name) Windows phone" and usually it'll come up with the store page for the app if there is one.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'm assuming there's a search on the app store on your phone, otherwise it might be a bit difficult...?

haha

jayk82

Jun 5, 2014
Visit site
You sound just like me. I have a MacBook now and really want a SP4. Currently trying to sell my MB to get it. Never thought I'd see a day when I ditch my MB and iPhone for a SP and WP. :D

Just did the same!! Got rid of my retina MacBook Pro to get the Surface Pro 4. Sooooooo tempted to order this and sell my 6S Plus.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
If you search for app names in the "Search Microsoft.com" box it will show apps available. It will also show other content like video and music that match the name.

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
Two more questions if you all don't mind.

1. What photo storage app is everyone using? I have 10,000 photos on Google Photos that my wife and I both upload to. I am not looking forward to having to download all these then upload them all to a new service. Is one-drive a good solution?

2. How much storage do we get with one-drive for free? I currently have a generic @outlook email that I got when bought a cheap windows laptop last year and when I sign into this account it's showing 15gb only. I'd hope they'd give buyers of the new Lumia phones some additional storage for free.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
Two more questions if you all don't mind.

1. What photo storage app is everyone using? I have 10,000 photos on Google Photos that my wife and I both upload to. I am not looking forward to having to download all these then upload them all to a new service. Is one-drive a good solution?
I use OneDrive, but I also have an Office 365 account, so I have 1TB of space. Mega offers 50GB of space for free, and their app is testing auto uploads from the camera. There's also a few options for moving from one cloud service to another.
2. How much storage do we get with one-drive for free? I currently have a generic @outlook email that I got when bought a cheap windows laptop last year and when I sign into this account it's showing 15gb only. I'd hope they'd give buyers of the new Lumia phones some additional storage for free.
Recently MS announced that OneDrive would be coming down to 5GB of free storage next year. They are offering a free year of Office 365 to those who have more than 5GB stored right now, so that might be something to check out.

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
How much storage do we get with one-drive for free? I currently have a generic @outlook email that I got when bought a cheap windows laptop last year and when I sign into this account it's showing 15gb only. I'd hope they'd give buyers of the new Lumia phones some additional storage for free.
Free storage isn't tied to a device. Anyone can get the generic free storage just by creating a free Microsoft account. The storage is tied to the account. Currently, Office 365 includes additional storage for the Microsoft account that holds the Office 365 "license". Microsoft gave free storage for clicking an option to save a device's camera roll to OneDrive; that storage is linked to the Microsoft account involved. There is no real limit to the number of Microsoft accounts on a device. If there are 5 users of a tablet, all 5 can get the free storage for their camera roll.

But, if you haven't been following, Microsoft is drastically cutting back on the free storage. In fact a lot of people who didn't understand there was never a promise of "forever" are very unhappy that the amounts will be reduced in 2016.

If you need more than the free or what comes with Office 365, etc, you can buy more the same as with competing cloud storage services.

Zendroid1

Nov 8, 2015
Visit site
I use OneDrive, but I also have an Office 365 account, so I have 1TB of space. Mega offers 50GB of space for free, and their app is testing auto uploads from the camera. There's also a few options for moving from one cloud service to another.

Recently MS announced that OneDrive would be coming down to 5GB of free storage next year. They are offering a free year of Office 365 to those who have more than 5GB stored right now, so that might be something to check out.

Free storage isn't tied to a device. Anyone can get the generic free storage just by creating a free Microsoft account. The storage is tied to the account. Currently, Office 365 includes additional storage for the Microsoft account that holds the Office 365 "license". Microsoft gave free storage for clicking an option to save a device's camera roll to OneDrive; that storage is linked to the Microsoft account involved. There is no real limit to the number of Microsoft accounts on a device. If there are 5 users of a tablet, all 5 can get the free storage for their camera roll.

But, if you haven't been following, Microsoft is drastically cutting back on the free storage. In fact a lot of people who didn't understand there was never a promise of "forever" are very unhappy that the amounts will be reduced in 2016.

If you need more than the free or what comes with Office 365, etc, you can buy more the same as with competing cloud storage services.

Thanks for the info both of you. Sounds like I need to look outside of One-Drive. Google Photos has really spoiled me and it's going to be hard to replace. Sounds like I'll probably have to pay for something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786