Lumia 950 vs Lumia 950XL

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
There's only a few differences between them.
The Lumia 950 is slightly less powerful with the Snapdragon 808 hexa-core while the Lumia 950 XL has the Snapdragon 810 octa-core.
The Lumia 950 does not have liquid cooling, while the Lumia 950 XL does.
The Lumia 950 has a smaller 5.2 inch screen, while the Lumia 950 XL has a larger 5.7 inch screen.
The Lumia 950 has Gorilla Glass 3, while the Lumia 950 XL has Gorilla Glass 4.
The Lumia 950 has a differenct camera housing than the Lumia 950 XL.

There you have it. The Lumia 950 XL is about $100 better (and $100 more expensive). Really the only thing that should decide you is how big you like your phone. If you want a larger screen than the Lumia 950 XL is really your only choice. If you like smaller phones, then the Lumia 950 is the better choice.

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
There's only a few differences between them.
The Lumia 950 is slightly less powerful with the Snapdragon 808 hexa-core while the Lumia 950 XL has the Snapdragon 810 octa-core.
The Lumia 950 does not have liquid cooling, while the Lumia 950 XL does.
The Lumia 950 has a smaller 5.2 inch screen, while the Lumia 950 XL has a larger 5.7 inch screen.
The Lumia 950 has Gorilla Glass 3, while the Lumia 950 XL has Gorilla Glass 4.
The Lumia 950 has a differenct camera housing than the Lumia 950 XL.

There you have it. The Lumia 950 XL is about $100 better (and $100 more expensive). Really the only thing that should decide you is how big you like your phone. If you want a larger screen than the Lumia 950 XL is really your only choice. If you like smaller phones, then the Lumia 950 is the better choice.

On the Microsoft store it lists both to have gorilla glass 4(in Canada) idk if it was a mistake to be changed or not.
But I'm getting a 950 I have small hands *shrug*

ByeVanno

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've only heard of the Lumia 950 having Gorilla Glass 3. Maybe it's a mistake, or maybe Canada gets Gorilla Glass 4 (doubtful).
Well its not only Canada website that says gg4 so I think it might just be gg4 for all models I highly doubt Canada of all places would get a custom model

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Another thing to consider is where you can get them. You can have your heart set on the XL all you want but if you don't have $650 to drop all at once, the 950 through AT&T is it. I really think they are limiting themselves in this regard because to me, the XL isn't even an option. I've never bought an unlocked phone outright and I really don't plan to now, so the 950 through AT&T Next is my only choice.

Now with that said, I think I would probably prefer the 808 in the 950, even though I would want the bigger screen. I'll live with my choice and be happy about it, hopefully they have a full release on the next device.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Another thing to consider is where you can get them. You can have your heart set on the XL all you want but if you don't have $650 to drop all at once, the 950 through AT&T is it. I really think they are limiting themselves in this regard because to me, the XL isn't even an option. I've never bought an unlocked phone outright and I really don't plan to now, so the 950 through AT&T Next is my only choice.

Now with that said, I think I would probably prefer the 808 in the 950, even though I would want the bigger screen. I'll live with my choice and be happy about it, hopefully they have a full release on the next device.

The Lumia 950 XL is supposed to come to AT&T at a later date.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Well its not only Canada website that says gg4 so I think it might just be gg4 for all models I highly doubt Canada of all places would get a custom model

I think it's more likely that Canada's page is just wrong rather than the rest of the world's information being wrong. The Lumia 950 has Gorilla Glass 3, of that I'm 99% certain.

msirapian

Jan 26, 2014
Visit site
As previously said, the only question is : how big do you want your Lumia to be. I had the chance to have both models in hand right after the keynote (they were presented in Paris) and the 950 is hardly bigger than a 640. As for me (YMMV), it's the perfect choice.

Besides, between the XL and regular models, we had to compromise camera/size. 640XL camera is better than 640, etc. But here, it's EXACTLY the same optics and camera. So the only real difference is the size. 950XL was too big for me, and is less pocketable, but the best thing to do is to try to find them in store to play with them, or to draw their real size on a paper so that you realise the actual size.

As for GG3 vs GG4, I've asked Microsoft France, they said : GG3 for 950, GG4 for 950 XL and on their store (at least at that time), it was also mentionned that both models were GG4, like MS Canada...

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
I'm on T-mobile, so it's the 950 xl for me. The "you'll have to pay $650 up front" argument is misleading, by the way. If you have a credit card, you have the ability to buy it now and pay later, just like at a carrier. You might even save money on the deal if you pay it off over six months instead of 24.

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I would consider this to be primarily a question of what size do you want. To me, the 950 vs the 950 is primarily like deciding between the 920 and the 1520. You will get some slight performance boosts in the XL, but primarily, you have to be ok with the size difference in the two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion