Lumia 950 vs Lumia 950XL

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why they didn't just make both the exact same except for screen sizes. To me, that would be the way to do it, people just need to pick what size device they want. Just seems silly.

like i said somewhere else on here... they are doing A/B testing on us... readying for the surface phone :)

Skyway

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
like i said somewhere else on here... they are doing A/B testing on us... readying for the surface phone :)

Well they could do the exact same thing with the surface phone. Make a smaller screened version and then an identical larger screened version. There seems to be enough people who want both, just look at the iphones and galaxy's.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why they didn't just make both the exact same except for screen sizes. To me, that would be the way to do it, people just need to pick what size device they want. Just seems silly.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the X and X+ or Xmini style of pumping out devices.

640 and 640XL have differentiators beside screen size and battery (huge difference in camera). I'm happy to see that trend continue.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Well they could do the exact same thing with the surface phone. Make a smaller screened version and then an identical larger screened version. There seems to be enough people who want both, just look at the iphones and galaxy's.

what i was referring to was the almost identical hardware specs but different placement and looks of the camera/flash/ring
i wonder if this isnt a marketing test to gauge the public acceptance of either...
i prefer 950XL look over the ring around the 950 camera

ShinraCorp

Feb 13, 2014
Visit site
Well, we did get the Lumia 920 Pentaband version with Rogers which is almost unique in the world lol. But yeah I think it's GG4 for both.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I'm not a fan of the X and X+ or Xmini style of pumping out devices.

640 and 640XL have differentiators beside screen size and battery (huge difference in camera). I'm happy to see that trend continue.

For me, I feel nobody should have to be forced to get a device of a certain size just to get certain features. Someone should be able to pick the size their hands/pockets/car mounts need but not sacrifice features they want.

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
For me, I feel nobody should have to be forced to get a device of a certain size just to get certain features. Someone should be able to pick the size their hands/pockets/car mounts need but not sacrifice features they want.

Agreed but that's the lure used to tempt you to spend a few more $$..

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I'm on T-mobile, so it's the 950 xl for me. The "you'll have to pay $650 up front" argument is misleading, by the way. If you have a credit card, you have the ability to buy it now and pay later, just like at a carrier. You might even save money on the deal if you pay it off over six months instead of 24.

You would do even better to get a line of credit on your house, if you have one. Then the interest would be MUCH lower and it would be tax deductible.

<TED>

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Agreed but that's the lure used to tempt you to spend a few more $$..

The lure should be about more features though, not size. Let's say I'm filthy rich but also a petite girl. No way the XL fits in my pants pockets so I'm stuck with only the slower/less feature filled device? I think MS really did well this time keeping them mostly identical but with small tweaks to differentiate them. It's refreshing after a long gap where the Lumia 920 had every feature, but then every Lumia phone afterwards was missing something and you had to choose what you were going to lose. I love my 930, but I don't have glance and I miss it. I could see nothing missing on these new ones, the 920 is reborn!

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Nobody is forced. They can do without. Its no different than not being able to get Adaptive Cruise in a particular car without paying for a sunroof you hate but feel free to substitute any combination you can't get just part of.

The market is such that if something will make money "they" will do it. But in the car example, the car maker knows that a lot of people will pay for both anyway. And others would be put off by having to make a bunch of individual choices and want just a few packages to choose from. Still others may walk if they were separate because hubby wants Adaptive only and wife wants roof only and it becomes a power play. Dealers don't like customers walking because THEIR inventory doesn't include the exact option combos buyers want; the fewer combinations that exist, the more likely of having a particular combination within the x cars on the lot. And the roof and the cruise will each add LESS to the price of the car if bundled just because there will be more of each and the unit costs drop. Lots and lots and lots of reasons for why you can just buy a 950 and a 950XL and not some combinations of variables between them.

Rest assured that if Microsoft thought they would make more money with MORE options, they would be doing that. We can wish but not expect any company to decide to do something unless they believe it is likely to increase profits.

MaderLv

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
And here it is specified with GG3 so all we have to do is wait and see as even MS is not able to get the facts straight.

microsoft.com/en/mobile/phone/lumia950/specifications/

John M Beauchemin

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
We're theoretically a week away from launch and I'm still not sure which one I want. I think it might come down to whichever one I can get, first, and fastest. There's an AT&T store about 20min away from me, and the nearest MS store is an hour away plus it's in the middle of the city... so it's looking like the 950 is going to come out on top.

Searcher2015

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
The MS online stores now show that with purchase of the L950XL comes the FREE Display Dock. Here may be a discriminator.

"Eligible for free Microsoft Display Dock with purchase of Lumia 950 XL via the Lumia Offers app, while supplies last" and the price has dropped as well by $64.90 US.

Some date info in footnote 12 reads ... "[12] Valid with purchase and offer registration between 11/25/15 and 1/31/16 while supplies last. Redeem promotional code online through Microsoft Store by 2/29/16. Valid credit or debit card required at time of redemption. "

It appears release of the phone may be 11/25/15.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
There's no way in hell I'm dropping almost $700 on the XL when the Surface Phone is around the corner.

Around the corner is like a month away. The surface phone (which nobody has any real definitive proof of) is no where close to being released that soon. And if the 950 sales flop, it definitely won't be released. MS has provided a flagship finally, don't throw that away for a possible prototype mystery device that is assumed to be coming out relatively soon. Not getting onboard with the 950s is a sure fire way of guaranteeing we don't see a surface phone ever.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos