Lumia 950 vs Lumia 950XL

Leslielbk

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
They don't, I've been buying my own phones for years on AT&T and I just pop my simm into my new phone and nothing changes except AT&T notices I have a different phone and lists my new phone under my devices in My AT&T account.. No fees or changes to my plan.. I've got 5 lines and done this with all of them.
Hang on a minute. You're saying I could buy a phone I want, put my SIM card in it, and NOTHING HAPPENS?? The at&t police don't swoop down and charge you a gazillion dollars? I've been tossing and turning sleepless nights over what to do to get rid of my 830 (that I will be paying for and regretting my entire life) and get the phone I want? I could actually do this? Could I buy a phone on Craigslist or Amazon or eBay, plop my SIM card in it, and it would just work?

MiloTheOne

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
I'm getting the 950. Although the XL looks amazing, I don't think it will stay as cool as people think. MSFT is holding a huge conference around March, that might be where they announce somethings brewing.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Could I buy a phone on Craigslist or Amazon or eBay, plop my SIM card in it, and it would just work?

Happens all the time on GSM.

I've activated onto Straight Talk, T-Mo, Straight Talk and Cricket in the last 3 years. Once I have a SIM I always swap it between phones and never miss a beat. Every service I've had listed has seen multiple phones. Never paid a fee.

robertre

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
When I played with the 950XL last month at the Microsoft store, it really did not feel too big. Everybody I talk to who has a larger phone all say that once they get used to the larger size, they really like it. With the free $100 dock that Microsoft is giving with the 950XL, it basically makes it the same price as the 950 if you want a dock as well. For me, it is an easy choice now... hoping my preorder arrives at the store by the 25th!

Maxwell Fong

May 4, 2014
Visit site
I really want to get the white unlocked Lumia 950 but it's not available in the US. WHY!? That makes the Lumia 950 XL much more tempting because 1. it's available in whit and unlocked 2. free Display Dock

Ammer758

May 10, 2011
Visit site
I am one of those brick and mortar people that have to touch it before I buy it. It sounds like the MS Stores will have the XL while AT&T will only have the 950. So the question is where can I go to touch and fondle these phones at the same time?

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I really want to get the white unlocked Lumia 950 but it's not available in the US. WHY!? That makes the Lumia 950 XL much more tempting because 1. it's available in whit and unlocked 2. free Display Dock

Is white unavailable or just sold out?

microsoft is showing the unlocked 950 is offered in black only, but the ATT 950 is offered in black or white

Captpt

Sep 16, 2015
Visit site
So has anybody changed their mind and decided to get the 950 instead of the 950 xl?

Nope but I am going to my AT&T store today and check out the 950, chances are slim to none I would change my mind, it would take a lot for me to give up so much more for only $35 more(free dock, larger display, faster processor, larger battery ect) got the XL with the edu/faculty discount :)

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm going up to the AT&T store today to look at the 950. Definitely not going to get it, but want to check out the OS, and the performance of it etc. If I were to choose between the two, I'd get the XL for sure as I'm currently a 1520 user. I've actually been thinking this 1520 is holding up just fine for now.. I'm probably going to wait a few more months until something a little more "Panos Panay inspired" comes along...

majortom1981

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm going up to the AT&T store today to look at the 950. Definitely not going to get it, but want to check out the OS, and the performance of it etc. If I were to choose between the two, I'd get the XL for sure as I'm currently a 1520 user. I've actually been thinking this 1520 is holding up just fine for now.. I'm probably going to wait a few more months until something a little more "Panos Panay inspired" comes along...
I wish I can do that but my lumia 1520 died. Atleast microsoft said they will replace my 1520 with a 950 xl . I only have to pay the difference in price. I might settle for a 950 replacement instead. The heat and throttling issues of the 810 processor scare me. Also if these phones do not sell there might not be more phones to wait for.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I picked up a 950 for my wife for our anniversary next week (shhhh she'll never know), it'll give me a chance to use it for a week before the 950 XL comes in. Who knows, I might like the size. Also I'm not entirely sure about what I might give up going with an unlocked XL. I already know the 950 comes with PMA wireless charging as well as QI, that's an upgrade. Plus stuff like VVM or the new WiFi/HD calling or whatever it's called may not work on unlocked devices. So I don't know, does anyone know of any hard proof of perks of getting an XL from AT&T (in the future, I know it won't be here soon) other than the added PMA charging?

nokia4life

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I picked up a 950 for my wife for our anniversary next week (shhhh she'll never know), it'll give me a chance to use it for a week before the 950 XL comes in. Who knows, I might like the size. Also I'm not entirely sure about what I might give up going with an unlocked XL. I already know the 950 comes with PMA wireless charging as well as QI, that's an upgrade. Plus stuff like VVM or the new WiFi/HD calling or whatever it's called may not work on unlocked devices. So I don't know, does anyone know of any hard proof of perks of getting an XL from AT&T (in the future, I know it won't be here soon) other than the added PMA charging?

you make some great points but I could have sworn wifi/HD calling was something that is turned on the back in on your account by ATT at least that is what they did on my account, I have been using a Nexus 6p which is unlocked and not carrier branded and the wifi/HD calling is there in the settings so I think this is a feature they add to the account once it is there as long as the phone can do it you would get it. If the 950 has this ability the XL will too.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077