I'm pretty new to the WP world and keep reading comments saying the 950 is the last of the nokia line, or the last of what's left of nokia, or the last phone before they focus on a real (surface) phone. All these comments sound very negative like MS put zero thought into this phone and it was in the pipeline with Nokia so they are just releasing it to appease us. Didn't they buy Nokia like 2 years ago or something? And why do these comments sound so negative like we are all suckers for wanting this and not waiting for a phone that may or may not ever come (surface phone) and if it does come we have no clue what it will be?

For me, I don't care if this phone is something someone at Nokia started working on years ago. I'm only concerned that it's a solid phone, with near top of the line specs and performance. Can anyone shed any light on this whole situation? Or do I have it down pretty well?
    11-10-2015 11:53 PM
    You basically nailed it perfectly.
    People are outrageous because the unicorn named "Surface Phone" was not present just a few month after the shift of Panos Panay and ready to have it in everybodys pocket two days after the october event. People obviously prefer looks over specs. That means that "everybody envies" the iPhone with the unibody in aluminum. Yes, it is nice. And I like the feel of it. Would I want one? Yes. Do I want QI? Yes. Do I want to pay 800+ Euros for a metal phone? Hell no! It is too expensive for my taste and I dislike it. I like the "plastic" body of my Lumia 920 and the solid back of my Lumia 1020. I can move it across the desk without a case.
    People dislike the phone due to the "cheap plastic back" and hate Microsoft for the US carrier hicup that (in my opinion as a german) is not the fault of MS because it was simply too expensive to certify for old, legacy technology.

Everybody waited for a "new flagship" on the horizon and expected it to be out of metal, include everything that is imaginable. Big camera sensor, 400fps slomo record and basically it should have been a big massive whoop for every phone manufacturer on the planet.
    That the phone is probably really great, is not of interest because there is a snapdragon 810 built in which "just overheats and kills the phone". Liquid cooling is not even thought of.
    Yes, I had my concerns, too after reading that. But I was not closing my eyes and screaming full of hate.

Yes, I want to have an "iPhone and Galaxy killer". Yes I want people to look at my phone and say "hey, that looks sweet, what is THAT?"
    And that is barely achieved with a plastic cover - at least many people think like that.
    When I pull out my 1020 in front of people and take pictures, record videos on music festivals side by side with Apple and Samsung owners, I kick them due to the quality and crisp sound that I get. Yes my phone takes approx. 2 seconds in between shots. But the shots that I get, are near perfect. Quality beats quantity. What good are 20 pictures if everything is blurry, grainy or misaligned?
    I'm not even going into the "Apps" and stuff because people are let down of the phone, the hardware itself.
    People claim the Windows Hello and the face detection are just gimmicks and no one needs them. Why? People screamed for fingerprint sensors and biometric authentication. Now they get something that does NOT require you to put your greasy, smudgy finger on the phone or even take off a glove. People dislike it.
    I am truly sorry to say that, but many many people are sheep. They see, they want. Microsoft (and Satya Nadella) CLEARLY said, they do NOT want another copycat of a phone. They did stuff different with the Lumia 950 and 950 XL.
    Yes, the design may be the "last" of Nokia. Is it bad? No! I like it pretty much. Of course I would have loved something "surface inspired" but it is a phone. Why would I want something edgy when a curve is better? Ever but a stone brick in your pocket? The rough edges from a "surface phone" will stretch your jeans and over time probably tear them apart. My 1020 has "sharp" edges on the top and bottom and it is nearly as big as 5.7 inches and that phone left some light marks on a pair of old jeans due to the fact that the material is stretched there when sitting down and my hands, my jacket and other stuff rubs against it.

I'm waiting for my Band 2 and my Lumia 950 XL to be delivered at the start of december and I'm happy with it. I will definately look at a surface phone when it will ever release, but I am not chasing unicorns when I really need something to get stuff done and help me get through the day.

Just my humble two cents.

Regards,
    11-11-2015 01:38 AM
    Spot on buddy. That's the most honest and bullying post I've seen in some time. Minus the fanboyism.
    11-11-2015 02:05 AM
    From what I've learned from my contact in Microsoft (ex Nokia in Finland as it happens), the 950/950XL are the last devices to come out of Salo. What's uncertain is at what point in the design phase the designers swapped their Nokia shirts for Microsoft polo shirts.

It doesn't really matter to me, Nokia made really good phones and the hardware knowledge from the ex-Nokia guys will continue to enhance future hardware products. You could say there's going to be some Nokia DNA in all Microsoft phones going forwards.
    920Walker, SPS828, jmajid and 3 others like this.
    11-11-2015 02:36 AM
    So who are the one's actually hating on the new 950/950 XL? Are they just upset that it's not aluminum instead of plastic? Or are they upset it's not the surface phone? It seems like they are only concerned that it's not as pretty looking or marketed properly rather than worried if it's a good phone or not. I guess my only concern is that maybe I'm being naive and this phone is what some of those people say and will be released and then forgotten by MS.
    11-11-2015 10:25 AM
    You could say there's going to be some Nokia DNA in all Microsoft phones going forwards.
    Wouldn't there have also been some Microsoft DNA from the beginning in all Lumia phones? Where do we separate the two? I understand you basically saying that we can't, and I agree.

Google has OEMs building their Nexus phones and tablets. While the devices certainly have the manufacturers' characteristics, there are also come aspects that are obviously from Google. For example, the Nexus 6 by appearance is an oversize Moto X, but it has wireless charging. It is both Motorola and Google.
    11-11-2015 11:06 AM
    Since Nokia has a better track record than Microsoft making phones, I for one am very glad if Nokia had the most influence. I mean Microsoft clearly couldn't produce a better phone on their own or they wouldn't have bought Nokia for its DNA. I'm pretty sure I would have just kept using my 1520.3 if I thought the 950XL was a clean sheet by Microsoft. I'm sure they will get there but I don't want to buy their first attempt.
    920Walker likes this.
    11-11-2015 11:12 AM
    Last flag ship with Nokia DNA. Next flagship likely from the Surface line, which should not be considered a bad thing.

If the surface line is dedicated to re-defining existing hardware, ie its not going to make an iphone/galaxy clone then I look forward to it.
    Jerry Stevens2 likes this.
    11-11-2015 11:37 AM
    The other possibility is that MS may shift their phone platform from ARM to intel (which would make it possible to run traditional desktop apps thru continuum).

If this is their direction it may make some sense to essentially do a full cutover (and possibly a rebrand from) Lumia/Nokia to Surface/MS.

However, even if that is the direction MS is going, my guess is that it will take one or two years for the surface phone to reach maturity. In the meantime we get the final mature flagship phones to come out of the finland group. Something I am very much looking forward to buying and owning for a number of years.

...and I prefer removable backs, replaceable batteries, storage expansion and I like plastic phones when they have the practical, solid feel that I've found in my Lumia.
    11-11-2015 07:25 PM
    For me, MS has been consistently innovative these days. Since Apple is just "copycat"ing stuff by adding some fancy name and people think its innovative.
    venki m likes this.
    11-12-2015 09:44 AM
    I'm pretty new to the WP world and keep reading comments saying the 950 is the last of the nokia line, or the last of what's left of nokia, or the last phone before they focus on a real (surface) phone. All these comments sound very negative like MS put zero thought into this phone and it was in the pipeline with Nokia so they are just releasing it to appease us. Didn't they buy Nokia like 2 years ago or something? And why do these comments sound so negative like we are all suckers for wanting this and not waiting for a phone that may or may not ever come (surface phone) and if it does come we have no clue what it will be?

For me, I don't care if this phone is something someone at Nokia started working on years ago. I'm only concerned that it's a solid phone, with near top of the line specs and performance. Can anyone shed any light on this whole situation? Or do I have it down pretty well?
    You're kind of missing the part where they fired the entire Mobile leadership before giving it all to Panay. That should tell you something with the direction in which these Lumias were headed. It was a vote of no confidence and while the 950/XL look to be solid phones (seriously, I cannot wait to get one) they do not fit in with Microsoft's recent premium strategy.

Are these high-end phones? Definitely/Absolutely. Are they Microsoft flagship devices akin to what Surface is to PC? No. (And that is not my opinion, people at Microsoft say the same thing).

Finally, the Lumia 550 and 650 will be the 'last' of the Nokia line. Although the 650 is undergoing some HW changes at the moment.
    Black3ternity, ven07 and libra89 like this.
    11-12-2015 10:35 AM
    Until customer feedback of 950 and Surface Book day one owners become available, I'll hold judgment on flagship device leadership.
    11-12-2015 10:54 AM
    650 is undergoing some HW changes
    Nice to hear that. I am really curious to know what sort of HW changes it is undergoing. Hope it doesn't have too much specs overlap with 640/xl.
    Last edited by Joshwin; 11-13-2015 at 02:43 AM.
    11-12-2015 11:38 AM
    Nice to hear that. I am really curious to know what sort of HW changes it is undergoing. Hope it doesn't have specs overlap with 640/xl.
    It most likely will otherwise you might as well call it a 640 v2 as opposed to the 650.
    ven07 and libra89 like this.
    11-12-2015 01:48 PM